*Official* XBLA thread Page 603

• Page

of 633 First / Last

• monty2k 12 Sep 2013 20:58:08 243 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Baihu1983

Yeah, loads of stuff has disappeared. I reckon it's fallout from the mad rush for the 10-15 free games available in Morocco. Someone at Microsoft probably clicked on the wrong window and stopped the marketplace for everywhere, not just Morocco.

Microsoft aren't huge fans of lost revenue so I have no doubt the marketplace will be back up and running soon.

Edited by monty2k at 20:58:59 12-09-2013
  • oceanmotion 12 Sep 2013 21:06:57 16,001 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Is Pefect Dark HD still worth playing ?

Much more beyond the demo ?
    Mechanically it's dated, but I think some of the missions still play really well, although there are some duds in there.

I had no nostalgia for the game as I didn't play it on the N64, but I did play it in co op with someone who knew what he was doing (or so he claimed)
    I gave the demo another go and I think the springy target aiming would drive me up the wall. Too weird and it would be chance that I meant to hit a head or arm. Other than that, amazing the difference now with FPS, here are some objectives, figure it out. Quite cool and even daunting after being sign posted in games for so many years.

Edited by oceanmotion at 21:07:45 12-09-2013
  • convercide 14 Sep 2013 14:50:49 6,088 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Is Pefect Dark HD still worth playing ?

Much more beyond the demo ?
    Mechanically it's dated, but I think some of the missions still play really well, although there are some duds in there.

I had no nostalgia for the game as I didn't play it on the N64, but I did play it in co op with someone who knew what he was doing (or so he claimed)
    I gave the demo another go and I think the springy target aiming would drive me up the wall. Too weird and it would be chance that I meant to hit a head or arm. Other than that, amazing the difference now with FPS, here are some objectives, figure it out. Quite cool and even daunting after being sign posted in games for so many years.
    You can turn the auto-aim off in the menu settings if it helps.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Darth_Flibble 15 Sep 2013 15:34:19 1,726 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    people are saying there are getting more free stuff

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677769
  • Kay 20 Sep 2013 12:12:51 17,918 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone know what 2100pts equates to now in real money?
  • dancingrob 20 Sep 2013 21:51:26 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    £17.50ish

edit: for some reason this post wasn't appearing properly earlier.

Edited by dancingrob at 09:04:08 21-09-2013
  • Gruff 20 Sep 2013 21:57:45 2,910 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was looking forward to Takedown:Red Sabre today, but it failed Microsoft certification.

Fucking Shitehawks.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• J.C 25 Sep 2013 15:56:27 1,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bag a bargain for October? Let's see shall we.
    Under £20.00.

Alan wake £19.99
    L.A Noire £19.99
    Portal 2 £19.99
    Spec ops the line £19.99
    Dragons dogma £19.99
    Dirt 3 £19.99
    Beautiful katamari £19.99

I'm not going to mention what's on offer for under £15.00.
    What fucking bargain are they talking about? Alan wake £19.99!
    Are you fucking serious Microsoft? I paid £5.00 for it in Morrison's, a year ago!
    Just utter shit. Haven't been a happy xboxgamer for a long time now. They can fuck off next round. Ps4 for me.
  • dancingrob 25 Sep 2013 16:11:09 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    probably not the best time to mention that LA Noire is £23.99 on PSN then...

Edited by dancingrob at 16:11:19 25-09-2013
  • Siobheon 25 Sep 2013 18:55:46 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha, I looked at that too. Bioshock infinite at 50% off = £24.99! I'll pass thanks.
  • PenguinJim 26 Sep 2013 10:55:24 5,905 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @J.C Where is that from? For Dragon's Dogma: DA at least, that's the normal price (and a £20 RRP on GoD is pretty good for that game, to be fair, despite it being preorderable on disc for about £16). Any chance those are actually going to drop in price in October?
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Sep 2013 11:56:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pac-Man CE DX+ update is out, along with a raft of DLC. You can buy it piece by piece or get the lot in a combo pack for just over a fiver.

Contrary to popular internet opinion/miscommunication before the event, it doesn't appear that any of it is 'free' apart from the title update.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 Sep 2013 12:01:49 26,134 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I was a bit confused about where the free update was when I loaded it last night and saw all that DLC.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Sep 2013 12:05:27 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think everyone must've just got the wrong end of the stick. I did wonder when I saw that the extra stuff was all paid-for on Steam the other week.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 26 Sep 2013 12:11:57 26,134 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It actually says something about it being a free update for DX owners in the blurb on XBLA.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Sep 2013 12:21:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, and it is - a free update. No free content, but the title update is totally free! :)

They said something about improving the leaderboards, interested to see what they've done there. I think I'll probably stump up for the full pack, to be honest. I really only want the courses but to buy those separately is £3.87 - may as well just get everything for £5.39.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Sep 2013 14:36:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trailer for Pac-Man CE DX+

Looks like they tweaked the main game a fair bit as well as just adding the DLC.
  • Blerk Moderator 26 Sep 2013 18:31:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Incidentally, Ascend: Hand of Kul is out today. It's free to play but I was in the beta so I actually played it a few weeks back but wasn't allowed to post anything in public. However... I guess now I can post my 'private' impressions. Bear in mind this is talking about a build that's at least a week and a half old, but I guess the game itself won't have changed much:

So I installed "Ascend: Hand of Kul", Microsoft's new 'free-to-play' RPG in a 'sort-of-MMO' stylee, which I'd somehow managed to get a beta invite for. It's presented like a standard third-person action RPG, the combat's combo-heavy like God of War and other people appear in your world as ghosts, a bit like Dark Souls and the like. You hit stuff, you cast spells, there's a taking over the world meta-game. You can use spells to send baddies into other players' worlds, they can curse or bless you depending on how they're feeling. "Ascend" a champion and he dies but becomes a computer-controlled avatar that then goes off and invades other players' worlds and tries to pinch stuff while you roll a new character with bonuses earned by the first one.

So... it's not very good. Combat's supposed to feel meaty but it doesn't, it feels like your character has no weight and nothing ever really seems to 'connect'. The environments look nice but amount to little more than pleasantly-decorated boxes with little to do in them other than fight identikit bad guys, which the game throws at you in large numbers. New kit can be bought but costs a lot of souls (in-game money), more (I suspect) than you can reasonably earn by just playing the game (your kit degrades as you fight and requires repairing, which costs souls, so you can't just grind your way up to a high bank balance to get better stuff).

It's not an MMO but it feels janky like an MMO. It's free-to-play but it isn't really because they want you to buy those souls with real money. It gives the impression of being complex like a proper game but it's all just window dressing. And in its beta form at least it's somewhat clunky to boot - big pauses while it does networky things, long loading times, etc.

If this is how MS are showing us they can compete in the free-to-play arena I'm a long way from convinced.
  • TOOTR 26 Sep 2013 20:26:54 9,599 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers Blerk- nice review of the beta. One to avoid then

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2013 09:42:11 48,225 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's free, if you can spare the time and HDD space there's no harm in giving it a go. I can't see me going back, though.

So.... Pac-Man CE DX+. Downloaded the update last night and bought the full DLC pack unseen.

First things first - the new courses are great! Loved having some new mazes to play through, a couple of them are really quite tricky in places. The new skins and tunes are entirely disposable - they're not used as standard for any of the new boards and the Pac Is Back skin specifically is awful and makes the game really hard to play. If you're not interested you may be better off just buying the courses individually.

However, I have some gripes:

1. The new interface. It's TERRIBLE. It's supposed to allow you to check your scores against your friends and send challenges and such, but it's REALLY slow and clunky and takes ages even to page through your friends. It actually downloads the stats immediately as soon as you select someone new on the front page, even if you were just scrolling past them, so if you've got a mighty friends list it can take forever to get to the person you actually want (and it doesn't filter out people who don't have the game). And I can't actually figure out how to send challenges either.

2. The Spiral leaderboards still appear to be busted. This is basically unforgivable after all this time as your score/rating gets screwed up every time it 'forgets' your stats and you have to beat one of your own scores in order to reinstate it (which obviously gets harder every time). For a score-attack/leaderboard-based game.... I can't believe they didn't fix this!

3. Despite advertising 'new achievements' there actually aren't any. What there are are twelve new 'not achievements', basically internal trophies. These are cool and fun to try and earn but in order to get a full set (and henceforth unlock a final 'classic' skin) you need to use Facebook. I do not have/want Facebook. For fuck's sake, Namco.

So in all I'm pleased as punch about the new courses but everything else? Gah. After it took so long to arrive I can't help but feel disappointed.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2013 10:22:22
    Thanks for the heads up Blerk - doesnt sound too good.

Played this to death when I first got it. Not sure I will get this DLC though.

Also I have sold my arcade stick...was great for Pac-Man.....
  • dancingrob 27 Sep 2013 13:56:47 1,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Interesting reports I'm seeing elsewhere related to a fairly big wave of bans coming in, seemingly hitting those who use the recent Oman / Morocco Bosnia free games glitches.

Anyone here been affected?
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Sep 2013 20:13:51 1,726 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dancingrob

I've been reading the thread on neogaff and it seems the people who did where pirates with modded consoles who where unlocking all achievements with 8 second play time but some are eager to MS white knight and take it rough from behind
  • PenguinJim 28 Sep 2013 08:29:41 5,905 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw three people at CAG report they'd been banned yesterday/today. Two of them I didn't recognise and didn't have a CAG reputation, but one of them is tyler-something, who has been updating and maintaining CAG's XBL thread for years (and doing a great job of it). His posts say that he's seen some other bans, and it looks like stealing Rayman Legends is the common factor..? (I missed what that entailed, as I've been quite busy recently, but I'm happy to blame Ubisoft for everything. Bastards!)
  • J.C 30 Sep 2013 17:16:06 1,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Purchased state of decay last night. Looks rough as Katie price on a Sunday morning, but the demo was alright. Hope it was worth the money!
  • convercide 30 Sep 2013 21:33:57 6,088 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pretty glad I didn't go for any of the 'free' XBLA games from other
    countries. A LOT of the recent console bans on the forums are like this:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/2366/t/1591714.aspx

Edited by convercide at 21:34:23 30-09-2013

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Ashwood 30 Sep 2013 21:42:02 408 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh dear. I think my... friend... downloaded some of those free games. He's not played any of them though so hopefully no ban is incoming :/
  • TarickStonefire 30 Sep 2013 21:48:01 3,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    J.C wrote:
    Purchased state of decay last night. Looks rough as Katie price on a Sunday morning, but the demo was alright. Hope it was worth the money!
    It is excellent.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Darth_Flibble 30 Sep 2013 21:56:50 1,726 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    Pretty glad I didn't go for any of the 'free' XBLA games from other
    countries. A LOT of the recent console bans on the forums are like this:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/2366/t/1591714.aspx
    From their T&C , you can get banned for signing for another region and buying content. Thats a joke
  • PenguinJim 1 Oct 2013 01:15:18 5,905 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair, iTunes T&C make you agree not to make nuclear weapons using their technology. It's not the T&C that's the problem - it's how they're enforced.

It's difficult to keep track of how many people at CAG have been banned (so much white noise in their thread), but it's at least four people claiming it now. Rayman Legends was the common theme, but the fourth says that they were just exploiting that free-month-of-Gold link thing that got some small attention there last month. (I was busy and don't know the details of that, either)

If it hadn't been for a someone I recognise at CAG being banned (tyler), I would still be inclined to think that these are still actual pirates like last week's Serb who are just making noise after being fairly banned.

Did anyone here get a free Rayman Legends recently?
  • Page

of 633 First / Last