*Official* XBLA thread Page 597

• Page

of 629 First / Last

• hedben2013 9 Jul 2013 22:58:53 4 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just created a new forum topic on the rubbish points conversion because I hadn't seen this thread...

Cross posting, long story short:
    Yesterday I had 1600 MSP on my live account, enough to buy State Of Decay
    Today I have 13.60, whereas State Of Decay is priced at 14.99

It's sad that the default position will probably be: *shrug* well it's Microsoft, what did I expect?
  • MatMan562 9 Jul 2013 22:59:43 2,308 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is really shitty! And at a time when people, like me, are trying to decide between the PS4 and Xbox One, this will not go in Microsoft's favour.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• riz23 9 Jul 2013 23:00:34 1,149 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    this XBL points news is cuntish plain and simple. Cunts.
  • Blerk Moderator 9 Jul 2013 23:50:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know why I'm surprised at this, tbh.

One more shitty thing from Microsoft to 'reward' the people who've stuck with them for a whole generation. Sigh.

Going to buy a points card and pick up the games I want before the proper update hits, then not buy anything any more. And then (most likely) get a PS4. Good job, Microsoft!
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Jul 2013 00:04:32 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone seen any decent points deals, incidentally? I think I only need 2100 more to be able to grab everything I want, but I'd rather get them as cheaply as humanly possible as a final 'fuck you very much'.
  • hedben2013 10 Jul 2013 00:21:21 4 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Blerk I got 2400 MSP recently by doing a Now TV signup-and-cancel-after-a-month (8, 800MSP), followed by a LoveFilm signup-and-cancel (5, 1600MSP). Both of them were honoured by sending cards in the post, and both were advertised on the dashboard.

It's like a lot of retailers are sitting on stockpiles of cards that will become worthless in a year or so, frantically doing good deals to recoup some of the value from them...
  • rudedudejude 10 Jul 2013 02:13:26 2,150 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Buuuut...now it's currency you can get the $ credited back to your bank account right? I thought that was part of the reason as they were holding onto millions of less than 400points balances which was essentially useless currency people couldn't use but MS held.
  • PenguinJim 10 Jul 2013 02:27:25 5,754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You might want to consider switching your account nationality for three months so that your points can be spent in "cheaper" regions. Take a looksee at some beta users to see how prices are flipping for their regions. If in doubt, there's always Hungary!

You can switch back to the UK in three months after you've spent all your points.

I've had some great deals come through in points during their lifetime, and for the last four years I've never spent more than US$16/1600 - and usually a lot less than that. I'm at the point where I could actually buy some points at RRP (for the first time) without worrying about it, as I've had all the others so cheaply. I blame all the "we want real money" knee-jerk whiners for breaking our abusable points system! :p
  • lucky_jim 10 Jul 2013 05:49:48 5,252 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know this is kinda bonkers, but Microsoft's recent actions have actually somehow managed to spoil my enjoyment of my 360. Both my consoles are obviously living on borrowed time until the PS4 arrives, but knowing that I'm going to have nothing to do with Microsoft next gen, coupled with the fact that my 2008 360 is rather wheezy nowadays, means I hardly ever put it on. I snapped up The Witcher 2 in the sale, and I've still got Skyrim unfinished, so I really should make more of an effort - but the fact that using the 360 is starting to feel like a bit of a chore is weird.
  • muttler 10 Jul 2013 07:22:38 3,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wonder what further assrape MS has instore for us?!
  • Deleted user 10 July 2013 08:09:55
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I know this is kinda bonkers, but Microsoft's recent actions have actually somehow managed to spoil my enjoyment of my 360. Both my consoles are obviously living on borrowed time until the PS4 arrives, but knowing that I'm going to have nothing to do with Microsoft next gen, coupled with the fact that my 2008 360 is rather wheezy nowadays, means I hardly ever put it on. I snapped up The Witcher 2 in the sale, and I've still got Skyrim unfinished, so I really should make more of an effort - but the fact that using the 360 is starting to feel like a bit of a chore is weird.
    Can agree with that. Switched on my Xbox for the first time yesterday since I picked up a PS Vita and all I felt was a wave of hatred towards Microsoft come over me hahaha...

True that ;)
  • ardamillo 10 Jul 2013 08:16:54 519 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @lucky_jim Actually for me it's quite liberating, I'm finding I care less about achievements and such as they will be irrelevant in 6 months or so.
  • CharlieStCloud 10 Jul 2013 08:20:02 5,029 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trine 2 on the PlayStation store is 8.99, or 8.09 on PS+.

... the very same game on XBLA is now 11.99 according to the new updated price, a three pounds difference!

It is just one example of many, many games too.
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Jul 2013 09:09:09 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    I know this is kinda bonkers, but Microsoft's recent actions have actually somehow managed to spoil my enjoyment of my 360.
    I don't think it's crazy at all. Their anti-consumer stance over the last few months has made it very clear that they don't give a shit about us and although I've loved having my 360 and wouldn't get rid of it, it's hard for the experience not to be soured once you realise that the people who made it think so little of you.

It hasn't been helped by the fact that I borrowed a PS3 to play The Last of Us and realised just how chuffing long it takes my 360 to even boot to the dash now. :(
  • chrisno21 10 Jul 2013 10:07:13 1,457 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair all the big companies are the same, Ninty charge through the roof for retro titles and Sony have always been higher priced than Live (until now). Sony may make you feel special with Plus and their E3 show but we aren't worth squat to the shareholders as long as they can make a profit.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• dancingrob 10 Jul 2013 10:26:31 1,154 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm just hoping all of those who found MSP 'confusing' will bow their heads in shame today.

It was bloody obvious that real money prices would mean an all round increase in costs as MS started charging the same as Sony for XBLA games.

When you factor in that you could pretty much always get a 2100 card for 15 if you looked a bit, they've basically increased all costs by somewhere in the region of 50%.

@ Blerk

I've generally been ok getting points cards from ebay sellers to be honest. As long as you follow the usual provisos, there are generally people offering 2100 for 15 / 4200 for 28 type prices.
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Jul 2013 10:33:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers, rob - I hadn't thought of checking eBay, even though I've bought points from there in the past. Will have a shufty.
  • barchetta 10 Jul 2013 10:51:33 1,315 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been a staunch Xbox fan since 2002 and despite having a PS3 for the last 3 years too I reckon 95% of my purchasing has fallen on the Microsoft side.

Recent actions have basically stopped an automatic day-one XboxOne purchase.

My heart still sits with the XBL of a couple of years back but my mind is now in the Sony camp. Actually a bit sorry about that, but they are really testing my brand loyalty now.
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Jul 2013 11:04:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still can't believe how they've basically thrown everything they built with XBLA down the toilet. The fact that they've got any indie types developing for Xbox One seems to be good fortune rather than good judgement.

This year's Summer of Arcade is not only one game shorter but practically everything in it (aside from Brothers, which looks rather nice) is vanilla at best. And they took away the 'points back' incentive for buying multiple titles to boot.

As for 'brand loyalty', it feels like Microsoft need teaching the same lesson in 'loyalty' that Sony got at the start of this generation. I'm so bloody angry with them. GRRRR!
  • Devilligan 10 Jul 2013 11:48:11 9 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, I'm in the same boat.

After spending the whole of this generation loving my 360 I'm finding it extremely hard to muster up the enthusiasm to fire it up any more, even though I've still got some great games to finish.

I will most likely top up my points to pick up State of Decay and then wind down any more XBL purchases.

Roll on Christmas and a fresh start with a PS4.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2013 12:02:57
    I've pre ordered both new gen consoles. Debating if I should cancel the Xbox one.
  • Raiko101 10 Jul 2013 12:11:40 6,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do you really need both?

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Blerk Moderator 10 Jul 2013 12:13:19 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A lot of people are ordering both just to get in the queue, intending to cancel one once they've made their minds up which one they actually want. Which seems sensible enough.
  • Kay 10 Jul 2013 12:13:54 17,760 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is the MS points switcheroo thing happening today? Will I need to be spending my points asap (or get them converted)?
  • Blerk Moderator 10 Jul 2013 12:16:56 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, it's happening with the next dash update, which is probably still months away. The beta went live yesterday which is why people are reporting it now (although they probably shouldn't be, having signed NDAs and such).
  • Deleted user 10 July 2013 12:17:41
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Do you really need both?
    Microsoft don't seem to think so
  • Kay 10 Jul 2013 12:20:52 17,760 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    No, it's happening with the next dash update, which is probably still months away. The beta went live yesterday which is why people are reporting it now (although they probably shouldn't be, having signed NDAs and such).
    Ah ok, thought the dash update wasn't until Q4 (as it's normally around that time) but was a tad worried as so many people were reporting it now. Still have around 3000 points to spend!
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Jul 2013 00:09:25 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Panic over on the price-hike front. After all that outrage MS have put the prices back down to sensible levels:

400 point games are now 3.49
    800 point games are now 6.99
    1200 point games are now 9.99
    1600 point games are now 13.49
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 Jul 2013 00:49:58 25,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And for 5 brief minutes the world of nerd rage realises what a beta programme and UAT is for. Until the next time...
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Jul 2013 08:57:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm still not buying the whole 'oh, this was just a dreadful mistake' business. There was something else afoot here.

The prices will come direct from an external database, they won't have anything to do with the firmware itself. At best it's human error, but those were very specific prices - I wonder if we just caught a glimpse of the Xbox One's downloadable game price structure?
  • Page

of 629 First / Last