of 629 First / Last

• LeSpank 19 Sep 2012 10:42:09 482 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RabidChild wrote:
    JSR today, right?

I'm off work :)
    Seems so. Just bought it via xbox.com

Unfortunately I have to wait till 5pm to play it.
  • andytheadequate 19 Sep 2012 10:53:35 8,075 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrTomFTW - on a lot of the early levels you have beaten me. Not sure if I can be bothered going back to them though. Do the deleted scenes count towards the overall leaderboards?

@rob- we all make mistakes! :)

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:56:57 19-09-2012
  • siro 19 Sep 2012 20:51:43 1,823 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    I bet we're all relieved that Lara Croft: GoL is going to be half price on the scratch & win consolation prizes. Can't recall that having ever been on sale before...
    Totally! Still hoping for that risk factions sale. The wait is like forever.
  • andytheadequate 19 Sep 2012 22:29:35 8,075 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Risk factions hasn't been out long. Try waiting for the defends grid sale!

I tried jet set radio for the first time today. I think it has aged badly, far more than Tony hawks HD has.
  • brainbird 19 Sep 2012 22:36:35 2,209 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heresy! Jet Set Radio is still a great game even though Future was even better. It's all kinds of wrong to compare it to THPS HD.
    The soundtrack alone is worth the 800 MS points.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Sep 2012 22:51:44 12,723 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like Jet Set Radio's style and aesthetic but found it a bit too fiddly to control and that was enough of a challenge without the cops as well. Plus I don't really need any more games to play at the moment so I'm going to give it miss for now, I might revisit it later.

Portable view - Never forget.

• andytheadequate 19 Sep 2012 22:58:22 8,075 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was the dreadful controls that put me off an otherwise good game too. The skating just felt wrong, especially when you jumped.
  • brainbird 19 Sep 2012 23:07:08 2,209 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You haven't played it on the Dreamcast or Future on the Xbox, have you? It's a bit difficult getting used to the gameplay, especially after playing a Tony Hawk game. I'm not saying it's perfect but there's a great game hidden behind the two or three unusual design choices you have to endure.
  • andytheadequate 19 Sep 2012 23:17:08 8,075 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never played it before but have seen others play it. The concept of future sounds a lot better to me as I don't really like time limits. The running away from the police would annoy me too
  • Peew971 20 Sep 2012 12:02:40 4,699 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again if you haven't played Mark of The Ninja, go get the trial. Great, great game.
  • Cadence 20 Sep 2012 12:13:00 1,676 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I really liked the trail. Is it jsut me though or are the opening levels supposed to be really, really dark? I could hardly see what was going on, although is that supposed to be the point??
  • andytheadequate 20 Sep 2012 12:23:37 8,075 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had exactly the same issue. Seemed to be a good little game but I struggled to see where I was. It did get easier the longer I played though
  • oceanmotion 20 Sep 2012 12:25:05 15,637 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had to turn up the brightness. Looks fine. Never had any trouble since then.

Great game, just finished first playthrough. Going to finish off the level targets and new game plus. Also has alternative costumes with different skill sets that gasp, are not DLC. Amazingly I got three kills on those hard enemies within 15 seconds achievement. Ninja. :D
  • Peew971 20 Sep 2012 12:32:58 4,699 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah turn brightness up and it's perfectly fine. I can't believe Microsoft is publishing this game and making no fuss about it, they put worse games on Summer of Arcade and the likes.
  • repairmanjack 20 Sep 2012 12:48:12 5,987 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mark of the Ninja is the best XBLA game I've played this year. I'm stunned MS aren't singing and dancing about it.

Also, currently downloading review code for Realms of Ancient War. If I hadn't seen the code offered, I doubt I would have realised this even existed.
  • Peew971 20 Sep 2012 13:01:11 4,699 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @repairmanjack I was gonna say it's the best XBLA game this year, but then I remembered The Walking Dead and it's a close call. But yeah, Microsoft dropped the ball on that one.
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 13:08:32 21,958 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So many good games argh

What is this Realms of Ancient War? Sounds like my kind of title.
  • mikeck 20 Sep 2012 13:28:37 1,900 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows I was tempted, but the only review I've found for it (it was from Destructoid though, so regard it as much as you do the site itself) slated it:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-realms-of-ancient-war-234879.phtml
  • Blerk Moderator 20 Sep 2012 13:44:36 48,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The screenies for RAW looked nice, I almost downloaded the trial off the back of those alone despite knowing nothing about the game. But launching it on "Torchlight 2 eve" probably wasn't the best of ideas. I'll give that review a read, though.

Finished 'Stacking' last night, and it was.... okay, I guess. I never really got 'into' it for some reason, it just felt like a reasonable way to kill time rather than something that was actually fun to play. Annoyingly I encountered a glitch which prevented me from finishing one of the levels, too. For 300 points I can't complain, I guess, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to others.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Sep 2012 14:01:25 25,388 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm glad I played the trial before stumping up my space points for Jet Set Radio. The controls are horrible :(
  • agparrot 20 Sep 2012 14:17:10 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I, like you, thought it might be some kind of tactics or strategy fest, but from their website it seems to be a slightly more feature-poor version of Crimson Alliance.

I need to look more at it, though, I might be doing it an injustice with this throwaway description.
  • andytheadequate 20 Sep 2012 14:19:55 8,075 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I'm glad I played the trial before stumping up my space points for Jet Set Radio. The controls are horrible :(
    My thoughts exactly. I've never played the original but I think nostalgia is the main reason for the good reviews...
  • repairmanjack 20 Sep 2012 14:51:37 5,987 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played the first level of RAW. Very pleasantly surprised. If you liked Crimson Alliance - and I really did - downloading the trial should be a no-brainer.
  • evild_edd 20 Sep 2012 14:55:57 3,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played JSR back on its DC release. Even though it was many years ago I can recall the controls taking a long time to get used to (turning circle, floaty jumps etc) but they do eventually 'click'.

It's a great fun title if you invest a little time. Again, from memory.

The only other things that stick with me are the cracking sound track and some sadistically hard levels later on.

Sure I'll pick up the HD update in the near future but I've way too many other titles to play beforehand.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• lucky_jim 20 Sep 2012 15:22:32 5,251 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JSR definitely isn't the game if you're after instant gratification, but as evils_edd says, when you finally get to grips with it, it's well worth it.
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 15:43:52 21,958 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I, like you, thought it might be some kind of tactics or strategy fest, but from their website it seems to be a slightly more feature-poor version of Crimson Alliance.

I need to look more at it, though, I might be doing it an injustice with this throwaway description.
    You read my mind. I was thinking fantasy-turn-based-4x/tactical-diamond-in-the-roough.

Not diablo-lite.

:(
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 15:44:50 21,958 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In other news: I really want more downloadable turn-based/ strategy games. I love them.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:45:02 20-09-2012
  • evild_edd 20 Sep 2012 15:47:31 3,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RedSparrows

"I really want more downloadable turn-based/ strategy games. I love them."

Me also. Civ Rev is great and I enjoyed Risk Factions as well, but other than that I'm struggling to think on many on the 360...?

Looking forward to X-COM :0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Blerk Moderator 20 Sep 2012 15:50:27 48,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    In other news: I really want more downloadable turn-based/ strategy games. I love them.
    Skulls of the Shogun must be imminent now. It's supposed to be launching alongside Windows 8 on PC.

Edited by Blerk at 15:50:37 20-09-2012
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2012 15:52:28 21,958 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Turn based - Vandal Hearts - I think? Bit janky. Faery: Legendsofwhatever - bit crap. Panzer General - janky but great. Civ Rev- great (but for me just reminds me of how much better PC Civ is.... :() Risk: Factions was alright, but a bit too shallow for my tastes. Can't think of many more.

RT wise (as I also love them) RUSE and Halo Wars are both excellent, and I have played both to death. Really don't notice you are on console (except for unit caps, I suppose). I love RUSE so much I am going to buy it on PC as well.

X-Com is the bright, shiny diamond on the horizon - but will probably get it on PC!
  • Page

of 629 First / Last