Xploder V5 save game file format?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ploder 22 Mar 2008 11:08:46 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope someone can help me because this has me tearing my hair out.

I'm trying to transfer games saves from the net onto my PS2 memory card using Xploder V5 cheat CD.

The files are in the .md format from the official site, although I have also tried converting various other formats using PS2 save builder.

The files transfer without problem onto the memory card, but the problem is that the game doesn't recognise the save file!

I notice in Xploder's memory card manager there are no file extensions for any of my other games. They are simply listed as the name of the game plus some metadata about time and which memory slot.

How can I get this to work? I suspect that the V5 uses another format, but which? I have no way of getting the saves off my MC because Xploder standard version doesn't allow that.

Thanks
  • ploder 22 Mar 2008 22:16:26 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Xploder doesn't compress its saved game files by default. It does have an option to zip them, but zipped files are clearly marked 'zipped' in brackets.

This is not my own memory card, but an image from the official site to show you how it looks.
    http://img224.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=25176_9_t_122_516lo.jpg
    The difference when I do it is that in the 'Game Saves Source box' the game save I get from the net ends with an extension (e.g .xps, .md, .P2M) and in the 'Description' it is listed as an unkown file. As you can see compatible game save files don't show this. Hence when I transfer the file over to the right box it's not getting recognised.

I think this may be a case of the file format of the game save not being compatible with the Xploder V5. I think that up until version 4 Xploder the extension was ".md" but then it changed (2004?) and no one seems to know to what.

I've asked on about 5 message boards with no luck so far :(

The closest I've got so far is one guy's suggestion of getting my own saved games off the MC to analyse them, but alas Xploder doesn't allow transfers in that direction. Someone with the Pro version might be able to help me there ;)
  • Feanor 23 Mar 2008 00:01:01 14,185 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe this will help:

http://www.ps2savetools.com/download.php?lid=74&op=viewdownloaddetails&ttitle=PS2_Save_Builder
  • ploder 23 Mar 2008 09:40:53 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe this will help:

http://www.ps2savetools.com/download.php?lid=74&op=vi...
    Thanks, but that's the program I'm currently using to region port game saves and it doesn't seem to generate V5 compatible saves. You can see from the drop down combo box when you press 'save as' that it only has 'Xploder V4 Pro' and the extension for that is '.p2m'.
  • etome 28 Mar 2008 22:58:27 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Xploder v5's file extension is p2m. So use the save builder software to change file extension to p2m and then use Xploder to transfer game saves to your memory card. Hope this helps.
  • ploder 29 Mar 2008 18:19:28 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've already tried changing it to .p2m and .P2M and that doesn't work either. Here is a picture of the save file i'm using:

http://img103.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=14462_untitled1_122_1125lo.jpg

In this case I converted a .MAX file to .p2m, but i've also tried converting an official .md save game of Resident Evil 4 to .p2m. Xploder V5 describes it as an 'unknown file'.
    Not sure where to go from here.

• Dirtbox 29 Mar 2008 18:28:15 79,191 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    .md was made with a program called Sharkport according to this handy list and set of instructions on how to get them working:

AR MAX Power Save .pws
    AR Max V3 .max
    Code Breaker Saves .cbs
    Memory Linker .psu
    NPort .npo
    SharkPort 1 .spo
    SharkPort 2 .sps
    SharkPort .md
    Xploder 4 Pro .p2m
    X-Port 1 .xpo
    X-Port 2 .xps

1. Find and download a copy of PS2 Save Builder (I used v0.8)
    2. Download your choice of PS2 saves, a couple of sites are codejunkies.com and gamefaqs.com.
    3. So you don't lose track of what games are what create a folder for each game title.
    4. Open the game save file with PS2 Save Builder
    5. Copy the Root/ID, and create a new folder inside the game title folder you made a couple steps back and paste the Root/ID as the name.
    6. In PS2 Save Builder right click on each file and extract to the folder you just created.
    7. You can now upload this folder to /mc/0 of your memory card

NOTE: Only upload the folder with the Root/ID name, the game title folder was just so you remember what games are what.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• etome 30 Mar 2008 11:13:26 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I read your first post again. If I was not mistaken, you had no problem to transfer a game save to your memory card. The problem was that the game does not recognise the save in the memory card.

I use Xploder v5, too. Xploder can only read p2m files. In other words, you can name a game save whatever you like, as long as the file extension is p2m. In addition, the picture you provide indicates that you download the save valkyrie_profile_2_eu.max from gamefaqs.com. Please make sure that your PS2 is PAL version because the game save is for European PS2 system.

Now suppose I download valkyrie_profile_2_eu.max and I use save builder v.08 to convert the file from max to p2m. The file will become valkyrie_profile_2_eu.p2m. When I initiate Xploder, the file name 'valkyrie_profile_2_eu' becomes a folder name. Inside the folder, you will see a file named 'VP2-03-217:02Seraphic Gate'. This is the real file and its name is what the game will recognise. Transfer this file from your pc to your memory card and you should have no problem playing the game using the game save.

Another example is that suppose I download a Pro Evolution Soccer 6 game save called PES6_eu.max and I rename it to daddyfooty.max. I then use save builder software to convert the file to daddyfooty.p2m. When I launch Xploder, I will find a folder named 'daddyfooy', and inside it there is a file name 'PES6OPTION FILE'. This file and its name is what the football game will recognise. Transfer the file to the memory card and you will be playing the football game with the game save.

• ploder 30 Mar 2008 12:30:34 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1. Find and download a copy of PS2 Save Builder (I used v0.8)
    2. Download your choice of PS2 saves, a couple of sites are codejunkies.com and gamefaqs.com.
    3. So you don't lose track of what games are what create a folder for each game title.
    4. Open the game save file with PS2 Save Builder
    5. Copy the Root/ID, and create a new folder inside the game title folder you made a couple steps back and paste the Root/ID as the name.
    6. In PS2 Save Builder right click on each file and extract to the folder you just created.
    7. You can now upload this folder to /mc/0 of your memory card
    NOTE: Only upload the folder with the Root/ID name, the game title folder was just so you remember what games are what.
    I have followed these steps and this is what I get:

http://img225.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=75473_untitled1_122_464lo.jpg

I copied that folder with just root/id to the memory card and it still won't get recognised as a save game. There is a directory of 'BESLES-54644-03' on the flash pen and inside is the file 'BESLES-54644-03'. Xploder describes it as 'BESLES-54644-03' unknown file. Transferred over to the memory card it is 'BESLES-54644-03' and doesn't get recognised as a valid file.

Please make sure that your PS2 is PAL version because the game save is for European PS2 system.
    Yes, my PS2 is PAL. A slim un-moddified SCPH-77003. Charcoal black ;)

Now suppose I download valkyrie_profile_2_eu.max and I use save builder v.08 to convert the file from max to p2m. The file will become valkyrie_profile_2_eu.p2m.
    Yes. With you so far. http://img103.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=14462_untitled1_122_1125lo.jpg

When I initiate Xploder, the file name 'valkyrie_profile_2_eu' becomes a folder name. Inside the folder, you will see a file named 'VP2-03-217:02Seraphic Gate'. This is the real file and its name is what the game will recognise. Transfer this file from your pc to your memory card and you should have no problem playing the game using the game save.
    This is where you've lost me etome. Where/how does 'valkyrie_profile_2_eu' become a folder name? All I have on the memory card after this is 'valkyrie_profile_2_eu.p2m' unknown file. There is no folder created in xploder memory card manager for me.

When I copied a folder named with the root id of 'BESLES-54644-03' with the file inside with the same name (as Dirtbox suggested) I don't see 'VP2-03-217:02Seraphic Gate'. Instead I see 'BESLES-54644-03' unknown file.

Windows won't let me rename 'BESLES-54644-03' to 'VP2-03-217:02Seraphic Gate' because it contains special characters (:). I agree though that the file should be called VP2-03 etc as my genuine Valkyrie Profile 2 save game is stored in the same way on my MC.
  • etome 30 Mar 2008 14:28:18 8 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, I was wrong.

Both p2m and md can be recognised by Xploder. However, p2m is the format specifically for XLink to transfer game saves from pc onto memory card. In addition, you cannot simply use an ordinary flash pen, unless you can find a way to extract real PS2 file (e.g. VP2-03-217:02Seraphic Gate).

I saw your thread at http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81495

My suggestion is to return the standard version and get a pro version. Once you get a pro version which comes with XLink software and a cable, simply follow the steps addressed in my previous post.

• ploder 30 Mar 2008 17:38:09 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In addition, you cannot simply use an ordinary flash pen...
    That's what I was afraid of and is probably the reason official xploder support haven't answered my email. Their advertising and product manual is misleading because it talks of accessing flash pen in relation to game saves, and you can actually access the flash drive in the memory manager.

What is the point of being able to do this if you cannot copy saves from the flash pen?! That leaves us with only the game saves inlcuded on the CD that are circa 2004.

unless you can find a way to extract real PS2 file (e.g. VP2-03-217:02Seraphic Gate).
    Does anyone know of a program that can extract a real PS2 file to flash pen? Since the game saves included on the Xploder CD work then I assume it has to be something to do with Linux, as that is what PS2s use. What format does the PS2 store its save files as?

Do you think this is just a case of being able to rename the file in Windows using special characters, or something more fundamental in the way the PS2 understands game saves? If the latter then I'm stuck as I don't know anything about programming.

My suggestion is to return the standard version and get a pro version. Once you get a pro version which comes with XLink software and a cable, simply follow the steps addressed in my previous post.
    Unfortunately I bought the Xploder 1 year ago so I can't return it. If I can't find a program to do it with a flash pen then I'll give up unless I can find the right typr of USB cable cheap.

One thing you may like to know is that the software 'xlink' that comes with the Pro version is available for free on their website. I have a registration code too, as it came in the standard version's box. The only thing I don't have are the necessary cables to connect it up. What would that be, usb male to usb male?

It would also be interesting to find out what the xlink software does to the game saves that I can't do on the PC and transfer via USB flash?

• supercarder 31 Mar 2008 14:40:03 4 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    can you please sent me that program?
    or place a link
    because i have that same problem
    only thing is that i already have a male to male usb cable that i bought in a computer store.
  • ploder 31 Mar 2008 21:05:26 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.xploder.net/content/downloads/xlink-v2.zip

You can install the program, but you need a registration code to login to their servers. You get the registration code in the box of Xploder V5 Media Centre/Live.

If you can shed anymore light on how we can transfer game saves from USB to MC then do come back and tell us ;)
  • supercarder 1 Apr 2008 11:57:38 4 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thanks for the link.

I have tried to log in whit my xploder v5 M-key but i may not pass through.
    So I made my own save xlink.P2M and tried to get that to my PS2
    but then it says failed to conect to PS2 but i have my male to male usb cable in it.
    so i think we need to buy the V5 PRO =(
  • supercarder 1 Apr 2008 15:12:02 4 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found out how to get your save working.
    go to save builder open your save and go to file\save as....
    then you need to give it your games name and save it as .md
    now go to your save and rename it to .ps2 (yourgamename.ps2) place it on your usb flash and go in to xploder go to memory and TADA!!! it is recognised as playstation file.

I hope it helps you
  • ploder 1 Apr 2008 21:26:40 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    then you need to give it your games name
    Do you mean like this?

http://img194.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=81590_untitled1_122_148lo.jpg

Because that doesn't work either. In the PS2s memory browser the icon is an 'X' for Xploder, not the nice little picture like for all the other save games and the save has the extension of .PS2 which no other game saves have either.
  • supercarder 1 Apr 2008 23:26:50 4 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you make it from a .md or from a .p2m?
    because when you rename the .md file to .ps2 it must work
    that works fine for me.
  • ploder 2 Apr 2008 20:48:28 243 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For Valkyrie Profile 2 I made it from a .max save because there are no .md saves anywhere.

For Resident Evil 4 I got the .md from the official site and renamed them as you said. It didn't work, although the description in Xploder has changed from 'unknown file' to 'PS2 file'

See this picture of the main things I have tried:

http://img244.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=65384_untitled1_122_485lo.jpg

because when you rename the .md file to .ps2 it must work that works fine for me.
    When you go into the PS2s inbuilt memory manager do you see the game icon or the Xploder icon? For me it is the Xploder. If you can post any pictures of what you have tried that would be really great.
  • DeWente69 1 Jun 2012 09:12:59 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @supercarder You are awesome!!! I've been looking everywhere for an answer and you had it! You need to make a guide and people need to send you a portion of the money they save by trying to do it all the other more complicated ways that other guides explain. Forget elf launcher and mc boot and all that. I was able to transfer saves with my ps2 gameshark. I'm sure the method you described should work as long as the person has a way to copy the .ps2 file to their memory card. I did it with multiple types of saved games for Devil Kings. Codebreaker, xport, sharkport, and maxdrive saves all worked. Thanks again. You're the best! If you have a paypal, I'll send you some money.:D:cool::D:cool:
  • DeWente69 1 Jun 2012 09:26:56 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ploder Open up the save in save builder. Make sure its a good save with all the data that has the memory card icon on the side. I tried one codebreaker.cbs in save builder and it only had information in the first 2 rows and they were both 0 bytes. I'm pretty sure it should be at least 5 rows of information. Most game save types should work. Do exactly what he said. Open the file, then click save as, name the file correctly(click the "text" button and copy the game name), choose type sharkport.md, save it. Now just click on the game.md file you created and rename to game.ps2. Make sure the file extensions are showing so you don't make game.md.ps2. Lol. Copy it to your memory card. Start the game and it should load just fine.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Jun 2012 09:43:08 39,758 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sure he appreciates the advice over 4 years later.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next