The "I hate Microsoft Word" rant thread Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 December 2009 22:41:10
    Why....why...does it always want to save in docx by default? Is there any way of changing this? Does anyone actually use docx? Wtf is Docx?

These questions must be answered
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Dec 2009 22:57:11 17,383 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WJF wrote:
    Why....why...does it always want to save in docx by default? Is there any way of changing this? Does anyone actually use docx? Wtf is Docx?

It is the newer format, a .doc is the 97-2003 Office. Since then they're used docx. You can just select the older format in the save as dialogue.

You are a factory of sadness.

• wobbler147 18 Dec 2009 22:58:52 5,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can specify a default save as in options.
  • otto Moderator 18 Dec 2009 23:28:14 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If your office sysadmins let you change the defaults. :/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Xerx3s 18 Dec 2009 23:50:47 23,944 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    otto wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I hate people who don't know how to use MS Word.
    I know how to use MS Word. But I have to correct the work of hundreds who don't. A decent word processor would not give rise to the formatting abortions that I see in my in-tray.

Ah, so people being mongs is the fault of the program. In that case, the internet has something to pay for.
  • otto Moderator 18 Dec 2009 23:59:47 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But these people are not mongs. They're just normal people without the patience/OCD mentality required to go back and fix all the fucked up formatting which Word imposes on users. It's a totally broken piece of software.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Merlinho 19 Dec 2009 00:03:34 5,908 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know how to use Word. However the bullet points in Word are a fucking nightmare with their shitty autoformatting, especially in tables. I ended up earlier with hanging bullet point rows that I was unable to delete without copy pasting to a brand new table. Bullet points within tables are broken.
  • Dirtbox 19 Dec 2009 00:04:24 79,204 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it bad that I have no idea how to use Word aside from at it's most basic?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Load_2.0 19 Dec 2009 00:44:40 19,670 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hahaha Microsoft word is black magic.

The indentation, bullet point and margins were created with the blood of the innocent and evil druidic incantations!

Spawned straight from the bowels of Beelzebub!
  • Deleted user 19 December 2009 00:48:15
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Is it bad that I have no idea how to use Word aside from at it's most basic?
    It's probably worse that I got a first class mark for using Office and teach the subject at Uni but probably know less...
  • Deleted user 19 December 2009 10:50:57
    Mr Sleep wrote:
    WJF wrote:

It is the newer format, a .doc is the 97-2003 Office. Since then they're used docx. You can just select the older format in the save as dialogue.

Yes, yes. I know it's the newer format with XML or some sort of wizardry behind it.

It just seems that no-one actually uses it as it's not compatible with pre-2008 versions that pretty much every business uses.

I understand they want to push a new format, but having it defaulted it just annoying. Hopefully these aren't locked when I try and change 'em on Monday...

• Salaman 19 Dec 2009 11:04:30 19,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OMGGGGG318 wrote:
    HOLY SHITTTTT I know I'm incredibly late in this thread but I'm trying to write my term paper and FUCKING MICROSOFT WORD IS PREVENTING ME FROM DOING SO. I joined this forum just to write this post.

All I want to fucking do is indent my works cited. NOT THE WHOLE FUCKING PAPER. Just one god damned line! but no. Either I indent the whole god damned paper or nothing. I can't even press the mother fucking spacebar! I HATE ALL THIS AUTO BULLSHIT. GOD DAMN I HATE MICROSOFT WORD.

Hold control to indent just the line you want?
  • coastal 19 Dec 2009 11:16:18 5,390 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems most complaints are with other ppls' docs and not Word itself. It can't expect to handle every situation but i don't get the problem with pasting text. Word will paste according to what font & colour has been selected - and presumably the current paragraph settings. So if you want the text in another font just select the new font before pasting. And you can always do a paste special - no formatting on the text. That'll save you the journey through notepad.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• dnbuk 22 Dec 2009 21:49:27 4,958 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/22/technology/microsoft_word/index.htm?section=money_topstories
  • SG 23 Dec 2009 06:08:43 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Word 2003 = best edition.

2007 was a mess in terms of interface.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• mwmoriarty 23 Nov 2010 06:35:58 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Here is my take on Word - like everything else Microsoft has ever created or - in actual fact bought or stolen from others - is a piece of non sensical crap... honestly I am trying to underline a line of spaces and one line works and then the next doesn't? WTF - honestly it has a mind of it's own, I have no control over what I want it to do and it is such a waste of time... and so frustrating - Word Perfect was great since you could go into Reveal Codes and figure out what it was doing - With Word you are totally at its mercy - unbelievable that such a 'monopoly' with as much money as they have can't create a user friendly word processor - just totally unbelievable...
  • skuzzbag 23 Nov 2010 06:57:20 5,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had to install 2010 to support some clients.

I hate it, my wife hates it, the cats fur has fallen out.

No presents this year kids Christmas is cancelled!

• Deleted user 23 November 2010 07:22:08
    I actually like Word. And I think the ribbon is nice.

I've used OpenOffice before, though. Which is hellish.
  • Tremendosaurus 23 Nov 2010 12:44:53 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mwmoriarty wrote:
    Word Perfect was great since you could go into Reveal Codes and figure out what it was doing

Erm, you can show the formatting codes in Word as well you know.

I too like Word :)

/sponsored by Microsoft
  • dominalien 23 Nov 2010 12:54:38 7,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richardtock wrote:
    I actually like Word. And I think the ribbon is nice.

I've used OpenOffice before, though. Which is hellish.

It's all right. At least you can just dl it for free wherever you are and make documents.

PSN: DonOsito

• rudedudejude 23 Nov 2010 13:01:45 2,254 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Outlook is shit.

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/post/2393/microsoft-takes-email-design-b/

That is all.
  • Jeepers 13 Sep 2011 09:12:35 13,315 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I (still) fucking hate Microsoft Word.

It's massively, massively shit.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Mar 2013 09:01:02 39,762 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This thread will do.

Trying to help a user. We run Win XP with Word 2002 SP3 (Ah, the public sector). She has 4 hyperlinks within a Word document that link to other Word documents on a server. They are all on the same server at the moment, but she wants to email the 1st doc to other people for whatever reason.

So the links are all very similar, structured as to point to \\servername\folder1\folder2\folder3\folder4\filename.doc. We can save and re-open this file as much as we like and that does not change, the link works fine.

As soon as we attach the file to an email, and I by that I don't even mean send the email, just attaching it does this, the hyperlinks change to C:\Documents and Settings\usernameofpersonviewingfile\folder3\folder4\filename.doc

Of course if you send it then, the person at the other end can't follow the links...

It's driving me nuts, and there seems to be NO mention of this issue on the Internet, that I can find at least. Anyone come across this before?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Salaman 7 Mar 2013 09:06:53 19,605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This any help?

Common hyperlink problems
    Paul DeBrino has reminded me of another issue that causes Microsoft Word to change and perhaps break your hyperlinks, by altering the link from an absolute to relative path or vice versa, when saving your Word document.

After creating a hyperlink in Word, hovering over that hyperlink displays your intended path. However, once you click Save, Word may change the link to a path that is relative to the Word document’s location, a virtual path that begins with …/

To prevent Word from changing your hyperlinks, take the following steps:

Click Tools | Options (in Word 2007, Office Button | Word Options; in Word 2010, File | Options).

On the General tab, click the Web Options button (in Word 2007/2010, this button is at the very bottom of the Advanced section of Word Options).

In the Web Options window, click the Files tab.

Clear the check box for “Update links on save.”

Click OK to save your preferences.

I realise it doesn't include Word 2002 options but maybe the absolute/relative bit is the problem?

Edited by Salaman at 09:09:22 07-03-2013
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 09:18:21
    Still on Gi but you can read this. Similar problem and I solved it by creating link from beginning. As in, when you go to add new link don't let it shortcut you to whatever folder you need. Go back to C level and locate it from there. Worked for me. Sorry if post makes no sense, typing on a busy train.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 09:18:24
    Still on Gi but you can read this. Similar problem and I solved it by creating link from beginning. As in, when you go to add new link don't let it shortcut you to whatever folder you need. Go back to C level and locate it from there. Worked for me. Sorry if post makes no sense, typing on a busy train.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Mar 2013 09:26:15 39,762 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The option is there in 2002, but doesn't solve this issue. Cheers though.

• THFourteen 7 Mar 2013 09:33:05 34,471 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder if its something to do with the way the hyperlinks are created.

This has some ideas for word 2003, but dont know if 2002 is the same

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903163
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Mar 2013 09:41:50 39,762 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tell a lie. Salaman did solve the issue, it's just the hover tooltip showed the absolute link, but the problem remained.

It wasn't until I went into edit hyperlink I saw they were all relative links. Recreating the links once I unticked the option Sal suggested has resolved the issue for good.

• Page

of 4 First / Last