Cancer Page 66

• Page

of 68 First / Last

• Tomo 19 Oct 2017 18:56:45 15,610 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I fucking loved having a general anaesthetic. Exactly how you described it - like the deepest sleep you've ever had, where you can't remember the sudden moment the lights go out, then you're awake somewhere else almost as instantly. Weird thing for me was that I didn't recognise my surgeon when he came over. He just started chatting away and I had to ask him who he was. He said: "We spoke when you came out of surgery!" Basically there was some 15-20 minute period where I was awake, but had absolutely no recollection of. The next hour of the residual anaesthetic dissipating from my body felt amazing... lol.

Tramadol too... that's some gooooood shit right there.
  • JamboWayOh 19 Oct 2017 18:59:58 3,796 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mmmmmmmm Tramadol. Still have two boxes of that.
  • Dougs 19 Oct 2017 20:17:45 83,918 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Glad to hear it boo. Feet up, take it easy and be spoilt.

Anaesthetic (general or local) tends to give me a migraine, after it's left my system. Not fun.
  • LittleSparra 19 Oct 2017 20:21:39 7,122 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I fucking loved having a general anaesthetic. Exactly how you described it - like the deepest sleep you've ever had, where you can't remember the sudden moment the lights go out, then you're awake somewhere else almost as instantly. Weird thing for me was that I didn't recognise my surgeon when he came over. He just started chatting away and I had to ask him who he was. He said: "We spoke when you came out of surgery!" Basically there was some 15-20 minute period where I was awake, but had absolutely no recollection of. The next hour of the residual anaesthetic dissipating from my body felt amazing... lol.

Tramadol too... that's some gooooood shit right there.
    I find it weird to have an opinion about a general anaesthetic. I don't remember anything of it, like, a total absence of time. When I awoke I felt as odd as I had before it, which was pretty odd, and part of my life was now a black space. I think as I had a brain injury they didn't load me with mega pain killers. Or something like that. I had coedine at most, I think.

I do remember hearing my heart beat before going under. I was nervous as shit!

Edited by LittleSparra at 20:22:54 19-10-2017
  • Deleted user 19 October 2017 20:23:31
    Just sounds like the thousands of alcohol blackouts I've had.
  • boo 27 Oct 2017 13:22:42 13,350 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Been just over a week since my op, and broadly speaking, things seem to be going ok. Everything's still a bit sore, and everything takes a bit longer, as I'm being really slow and careful about moving and twisting. Result though! I was told I'd have a catheter in for a fortnight, but they wrote to me and said it would be coming out after a week. That's been the most annoying thing so far, and a total faff, but it came out yesterday morning. Peeing is still a bit uncomfortable, but that should pass (nothing like it was after the cystoscopy - that was like peeing razor blades for 18 hours), so it's ok.

One of the things I was told was a side effect of the op was that basically you'll be incontinent for anything between 3 months and life, depending on your recovery, the effort you put into pelvic floor exercises and basically the luck of the draw. Prior to the day, I saw my surgeon and he said I 'qualified' for a slightly alternative procedure. Apparently two surgeons from Italy and a third from South Korea had developed a different way of doing the op that reduced your chances of incontinence down to almost zero, but it does raise your chances of needing follow-up radiotherapy slightly. As I was young (ish) and fit, I had the option of electing for this method. Though it did mean that rather then being the 500-and-something-th patient he'd done the regular procedure on, I'd be the 10th one he'd used the new technique on. I figured the odds were pretty good, and the only way these people learn is by doing, so agreed. So far, so good, though I am currently sporting some Tena lady for a couple of days, just in case. I'm such a style guru.

The only potential downside is that while all the pre-op scans suggested that the cancer was contained, and so by removing the prostate and the seminal vesicles that should, in theory, be that, when the registrar came to see me the morning after the op, he said they'd found a nodule. Not entirely sure what this means as we'll have to wait for the pathology results, but I find out (I believe) on Dec 5th. He was fairly confident that they'd know 100% either way whether further treatment would be required or not though.

Now it's just a case of resting up, letting everything heal and sticking one of these blasted anti-coag needles in my leg every night for another three weeks!

Cannot thank the NHS enough - they have been outstanding. If you work for the NHS, I salute - you f'ing rock!
  • THFourteen 27 Oct 2017 13:29:28 46,465 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    boo wrote:
    and the only way these people learn is by doing
    You sir are a god among men.
  • JamboWayOh 27 Oct 2017 13:32:26 3,796 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just rest up man, I imagine it's not great to hear that news about a nodule but you I suppose you can't and shouldn't let that enter your mind right now, it's all about the recovery. Definitely one thing a time when you have cancer, well that was an is my mantra when I was diagnosed. Cannot agree any more about the NHS, it gets shit but I think a lot of people in this country take it for granted to how fucked we would be if we adopted an American system. It's a shame that a fair amount of folk are trying break it down bit by bit for their own selfish pockets.
  • askew 27 Oct 2017 13:49:38 15,646 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fingers crossed Boo :)
  • drhcnip 27 Oct 2017 13:53:24 5,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sounds like its going well on the whole, pal - hopefully the nodule turns out to be nothing serious...

there;s always a fly in the ointment somewhere - like the mrs having the whole massive mothership removed and only one lymph node glowing on the scans, though dozens were removed....it's that one lymph node that creates the worry...:D

good on you for going with the trial as well - thf has it right there...

and welcome to the tena lady club - i wore dozens of the fuckers when i had my pilonidal abcess 'experience'...:D
  • boo 27 Oct 2017 15:02:59 13,350 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks people, and all the best to your Mrs, drhcnip.

Compared to what many people have gone through on here, I've had it easy. No pain, no dragged out treatment, and someone else has done all the hard work.

I have not so much been 'fighting' cancer as just 'called up an air strike' on it.

I'd like to do something as a thank you, once this is all over. I've raised money for Cancer Research on and off for the last 15 years since I lost my Dad. I think I'd like to do something specifically for UCLH, so I'll do a bit of digging and see if they have any fund raising programmes that I could help with, but if anyone knows of anything that the hospital does I'd be interested. I'll make some enquiries at my next appointment.
  • Frogofdoom 27 Oct 2017 15:13:39 6,203 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your attitude is incredible Boo, glad to hear you are on the up.

I would say fcuta, but it feels inappropriate given the operation you have just had :)

Make sure to let us know when you need sponsors.
  • Fake_Blood 27 Oct 2017 15:14:21 7,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey man, buy a switch or something. Glad to hear you're doing well.
  • drhcnip 27 Oct 2017 16:42:18 5,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @boo

Cheers, pal... Still waiting on the 6 mth appt following the scan... We're back on normal NHS time now, still love the bloody thing, though...
  • Murbs 27 Oct 2017 19:57:48 23,700 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get well soon to the least successful (but still my favourite) Popmaster
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Oct 2017 20:36:04 6,161 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well in boo! Get your feet up and get some of that Mario goodness down you.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 27 Oct 2017 20:39:50 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Hope everything goes well for you boo and Mrs drhcnip.
  • drhcnip 27 Oct 2017 22:37:38 5,405 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cheers, pal
  • challenge_hanukkah 28 Oct 2017 00:15:29 5,325 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Orange

Are you still with us?
  • GuybrushThreepwood 28 Oct 2017 06:42:00 1,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    @Orange

Are you still with us?
    You've probably seen they're last post was two years ago in this thread and they weren't sounding too positive in afraid.
  • askew 28 Oct 2017 07:13:09 15,646 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :/ That's sad.
  • challenge_hanukkah 28 Oct 2017 07:56:17 5,325 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah.

That last post of theirs has always stuck with me.

I hope they're actually alive and well somewhere and they just came the conclusion that the forum smells or something.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 07:56:47 28-10-2017
  • askew 28 Oct 2017 08:05:58 15,646 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He disappeared just asbSpurs came good.
  • magicpanda 28 Oct 2017 09:52:50 14,629 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had no idea about Orange. That's incredibly sad, had some good times playing games.

My mum has stage 4 lung cancer, she has limited time left. My son adores her but she lives 3 hours away. We go as often as we can but  it fucking crushes me every time we leave not knowing if that was his last hug with her and all that.
  • Dougs 28 Oct 2017 10:17:45 83,918 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    /sob. Sorry to hear that. I fear the same with my mum (she hasn't got cancer but has just found out about a long term condition). Kids see her weekly, but still.

@boo, keep going...

Edited by Dougs at 10:19:50 28-10-2017
  • boo 28 Oct 2017 12:39:54 13,350 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @magicpanda

That's tough mate - make every minute count. You don't realise just how much you'll miss your parents until they're gone.
  • magicpanda 28 Oct 2017 13:28:06 14,629 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks Boo. Here's to a speedy recovery for you fella.
  • pk1980 28 Oct 2017 14:15:59 828 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good luck boo, glad to hear it is all looking positive for you.

To others who have posted best wishes to you all.
  • Khanivor 28 Oct 2017 19:56:15 43,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry to hear of that panda. That’s rough as fuck. Sending out the good vibes for all three of you.

And glad to hear that your willingness to be experimented on seems to be working out. You can hold off the EG Santa apprenticeship a wee while longer.

Edited by Khanivor at 19:57:14 28-10-2017
  • JamboWayOh 30 Oct 2017 19:27:06 3,796 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got my first post treatment checkup tomorrow at the cancer centre tomorrow. Should be interesting.
  • Page

of 68 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.