Your hardest gaming moments

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • muters 19 Feb 2008 04:10:12 94 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've spent most of my evening finishing Trauma Center: SO and shamefully had to do the last two operations on Easy to stop myself doing a Hulk Hogan vest-rip of rage.

I've got the game on rental, and as much as I enjoyed it, I just want the morning to come so I can shove it back in the post and forget it exists.

What moments in games have had a similar effect on you? When you're so frustrated that you have to just put the controller down and give up, or at least polish it off on Easy? (God, it makes me feel dirty to do that, but 'Fallen Heroes' and 'Vulnerability' were getting genuinely painful to play)

*fingers crossed for a minimum of stiffy jokes*
  • Wayne 19 Feb 2008 04:12:50 2,144 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The lift in Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time. Took me a long time to get past that.

Weird thing is, the time I *did* get it, it seemed easy.

I didn't drop down to easy though.
  • JinTypeNoir 19 Feb 2008 04:30:13 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After two years of playing Gitaroo Man, I finally, finally got a perfect run on the hardest difficulty setting. So having known the songs really well, I decided that I would start a perfect run trying to do so without looking at the screen for inputs, just going by rhythm and pure memory.

It took another year or so, but I swear sometimes the temptation to just open my eyes was so huge. Definitely the hardest thing I've ever done in a game, but with patience and a massive amount of enthusiasm for Gitaroo Man, I got through it and man was the satisfaction worth it, because I could truly say I'd done something not many people can claim. :p

I AM THE GITAROO MAN MASTER! \o/
  • Futaba 19 Feb 2008 04:34:40 3,520 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The last boss on MGS2 on Extreme, it took four hours of solid continues :(

Trauma Centre on the DS, the last few missions were damn hard. I haven't had much luck on the insane X Missions >_>

Also Gitaroo Man on the super hard level. Took years to get past the bumblebee guy, the shark was pretty annoying too. Only two levels away from the end or something.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Sorbicol 19 Feb 2008 11:56:59 591 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unlocking the final two race tracks on WipeOut and WipeOut 2097....... They had me screaming in rage at the TV, so much so my then housemates banned me from playing it!

It wasn't that the tracks were "difficult" (althought they were) it was the scripting of the positons - i.e you were never in a position to take first place unless you were right beind the leader in the final 2 or 3 seconds of the race. Make a bad start or mistake half way through and you had no choice but to restart from the beginning :(
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Feb 2008 11:59:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The final form of the last boss in God of War. Almost ruined the game for me.

And the final dungeon in.... actually, in too many RPGs to mention. What is it with final dungeons? Stupid bloody developers.
  • Lutz 19 Feb 2008 12:01:51 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Same here. And yet when I *did* manage it it was... easy? Very bizzare.

And I think it's just you and end game dungeons. Phantasy Star II aside I can't recall any being tough.

But then I've not played half the RPGs you have so...
  • IMO 19 Feb 2008 12:01:54 5,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Getting up to the top of the Palace of Zarkhan in Ninja Gaiden with nothing but a couple of Elixirs and the Armlets to keep me going.
  • Daz_Maverick 19 Feb 2008 12:02:14 121 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The original Castlevania is a bitch of a game. I got to Frankenstein's Monster (with his little jumpy monkey mate) and I just couldn't kill the bastards.

Almost, but not quite!
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Feb 2008 12:04:22 44,985 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Something about DOA
  • President_Weasel 19 Feb 2008 12:05:51 9,452 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Prince cockface in Kara

That's not really hard, it's more that there's a random element that can just kill you even if you're doing well. I would say it can be one of the most frustrating and irritating moments though.

I'd say one of the hardest was the end of driver, with that limo chase. I tried it loads of times, couldn't do it, lent the game to a friend and never got it back.

• PazJohnMitch 19 Feb 2008 12:06:33 8,317 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably the hardest thing I have done was getting all the cheats on Goldeneye.

The Facility level one took me forever to get. It was worth it though.

I have a lot of patience and rarely ever give up. Although I have occassionally. I never did the final boss on Jet Force Gemini or on Donkey Kong 64.
  • magicpanda 19 Feb 2008 12:08:23 13,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Un Squadron/Area 88

Haaardcore.
  • mrharvest 19 Feb 2008 12:08:35 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Same here. And yet when I *did* manage it it was... easy? Very bizzare.
    I couldn't beat it 'fairly' so I just started hammering X. After a while it randomised that QTE sequence. I wasn't even looking when it died.

I struggled with Jak 2 enormously. I had just started playing console games after SNES days.

Monster Hunter has been fairly challenging too. Blangonga training especially has a 'blink and you are dead' challenge factor.
  • Cloudane 19 Feb 2008 12:09:22 1,974 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It took me one and a half hours to defeat the Alpha 512 boss on Dead or Alive 4.

I'm not that great at beat 'um up games and only ever tend to stick with the Tekken series on the PSone and PS2 so to come across that kind of cuntastic final encounter was heart breaking.

Even when I managed to do it, I watch the piss poor 'ending' for one of the characters then turned the game off in disgust, never to play or touch it again.
  • speedjack 19 Feb 2008 12:10:33 628 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetaRidly in MP2
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Feb 2008 12:11:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    speedjack wrote:
    MetaRidly in MP2
    Ah, shit. Forgot that one. Yes.
  • Popzeus 19 Feb 2008 12:12:32 8,362 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The last mission in Driver, with the insane turbocharged coppers on your arse. What the hell were they thinking?

"Right boys, the Presidential limo's been hijacked with the President on board. I want you all to DRIVE STRAIGHT AT IT AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN until it EXPLODES."

Yep, that's plausible.

Still managed to complete it though, somehow. Took me weeks.

Also, Ready Steady Go on cheerleader mode in Ouendan - still haven't managed it but keep going back for another try every few months.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• bignose 19 Feb 2008 12:12:45 81 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    speedjack wrote:
    MetaRidly in MP2

+1

Took me two years off on and off attempts to beat that.
  • PiD 19 Feb 2008 12:12:48 3,566 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The mission "Battle" in Ghost Recon 2.. I couldnt complete that for YEARS!
  • Deleted user 19 February 2008 12:13:00
    One of the secret worlds in Super Mario World, Gnarly or something like that. The one where you had to go across the entire level using nothing but the balloon powerups. I was 12 at the time, though. I replayed it a few years ago on an emulator and did it first time.

Sticking with a familiar theme, beating M.Bison on hard on SF2 on the SNES. A massive accomplishment at that age.
  • Spikeman4 19 Feb 2008 12:14:58 13 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Diddy kong Racing for the N64 had some of the most frustrating boss races I've ever played. At first I thought it was just because I was younger when I played it, but I've returned to it many times over the years and still found myself screaming in dispair.

The Octupus is really demoralising...I hate that Octupus
  • magicpanda 19 Feb 2008 12:15:13 13,404 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Sticking with a familiar theme, beating M.Bison on hard on SF2 on the SNES. A massive accomplishment at that age.

Ahh yes.. Smashed up a snes pad on that fucker.
  • Kay 19 Feb 2008 12:18:24 17,920 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm usually no cheater, but I confess to using God mode to finish Half-Life because of one part right at the end that I just couldn't get past. 'Interloper', I remember the chapter being called - the section had you jumping between mid-air platforms, whilst avoiding fire from various flying aliens.

After hours of frustration I simply gave up, but I couldn't just leave the game at that. So I cheated in order to see how it all ends.

K
  • solipsist 19 Feb 2008 12:19:12 124 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    F-Zero GX

especially a couple of the final story mode challenges on hard and very hard
  • _Price_ 19 Feb 2008 12:20:31 3,074 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:

Ahh yes.. Smashed up a snes pad on that fucker.

Heh. Thank god for Chun-Li.

There's been plenty of odd moments in games where I just thought: 'How the hell do I beat that?' but a solution usually presents itself.
  • Kay 19 Feb 2008 12:21:48 17,920 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    solipsist wrote:
    F-Zero GX

especially a couple of the final story mode challenges on hard and very hard

I never did finish 'Save Jody' on very hard. I'm pretty sure it was impossible.

K
  • Genji 19 Feb 2008 12:26:50 19,689 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    The lift in Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time. Took me a long time to get past that.

Weird thing is, the time I *did* get it, it seemed easy.

I didn't drop down to easy though.
    It was hard until I got the hang of the all-powerful "push-off-wall" move.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous