The **Official** Aliens: Colonial Marines Thread Page 56

• Page

of 57 First / Last

• sickpuppysoftware 27 Feb 2013 13:50:56 1,285 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    For what it's worth, has there been another game which has been in a similar situation to Aliens: Colonial Marines? A big brand from a popular developer (albeit with one shoddy release to their name) with such a long and troubled development and pre-release footage which turned out to be a total fabrication. I can't think of one.
    The 8-bit Scooby Doo game. Adverts showed a cartoon like adventure. Years later a crappy platformer popped out.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• SomaticSense 27 Feb 2013 13:56:16 7,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:It's very, very rare that a game will sell out in the first few days. Only Xenoblade I had problems getting hold of this gen, and that was a niche Japanese game which had built up crazily positive word of mouth just before release and before Nintendo could catch up with demand. Very unique circumstances in other words.
    The only ones i've had problems with were GTA4 (360) and Mario Kart (Wii - yes i did buy a Wii game once!!!)

With both of those ended up having to hunt around central London until i found one in a random Argos in Old Street.. Shoulda just preordered.
    For genuine known quantities like the GTA series and (if you're into them) CoD games, then preordering may be wise, as long as you don't have to lay down a deposit (shoddy business practise).

For example, the only game I currently have on my Shopto preorder list is GTA5.
  • -cerberus- 27 Feb 2013 17:29:51 2,101 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This week on Zero Punctuation.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Mr_Sleep 27 Feb 2013 17:32:21 16,271 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @Ultrasoundwave

I prefer it when it has the Steptoe theme.
    That's brilliant.

You are a factory of sadness.

• muttler 27 Feb 2013 20:16:22 3,771 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I feel slightly silly for supporting A:CM before, what can I say. We all hoped it would at least be competent.

It is my intention to boycott Gearbox Software for life. I don't like Brothers In Arms anyway, and I've never tried Borderlands so I don't know what I'm missing anyway.

EG did try to warn us with the Preview that as much as said its shit., although they did then confuse us with the subsequent gameplay vids that looked great.

I read with interest the article on what went wrong, and look forward to any more goss.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 10:15:16 3,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, to the people who still own this game for some reason :

Are the patches that Gearbox are releasing actually making a difference?

To be honest, if they patch the absolute fuck out of it over the next few months and it improves the game, i'll genuinely think about picking it up.......for around 10.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• SomaticSense 21 Mar 2013 10:20:46 7,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would this include a 6.5gb sized 'just like the E3 demo' patch?

If not, then I can't see too many people expecting a drastic change in game quality, aside from the bugs.
  • Whizzo 21 Mar 2013 10:26:44 42,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think Steam has automatically updated my install of it, I'll check this evening but shit textures and graphics (while super shit) aren't the biggest problems with this game.

This space left intentionally blank.

• repairmanjack 21 Mar 2013 10:46:56 5,956 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This arrived from Lovefilm yesterday. Expectations are in the sewer, obviously, but I've finished the first level on Hard difficulty.

It's not the complete disaster some have said (although, like I say, expectations were at zero). The multiplayer is an abortion; the six people on it know every glitch in the book - won't be bothering with that again.

But... it's not "dull". Yet. In contrast, I dropped Crysis 3 after three levels because it bored me to tears.
  • Whizzo 21 Mar 2013 10:56:24 42,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You've finished the first level of a front loaded game and you don't think it's so bad? It's okay you'll be fighting hordes of Weyland-Yutani troops soon enough and realise what a fucking disaster this game is.

Talking of sewers, that's the best level in the entire game and it's still pretty shit.

Edited by Whizzo at 10:56:46 21-03-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• muttler 21 Mar 2013 12:25:01 3,771 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was in Sainsburys last night and it was 22.99, first price drop I've seen.
  • bad09 21 Mar 2013 12:45:50 5,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @muttler

Your joking it's been sinking like a rock, since it launched :)

My cheap collectors edition turned up yesterday, nice package for the price but man this game really is rough bug central for all the wrong reasons. I dunno how it looked before the patch but graphics are looking nice at times and rough as an old dog at others, they've put a really awful film grain over it now to so they can hide a lot of the sloppy graphics. I was numb to disappointment though and I'm kinda liking it oddly, actually little glimpses of a game that could have been good under there.

Supposedly the "best bit", the multiplayer, is OK but as alien it's really terrible if you hold it up to even something indie and cheap like the really great Primal Carnage (where the Raptor movement is more like an alien than seen here in aliens )and it's even more embarrassing.

So far actually charming in a way though so 25 notes well spent despite the mess of a game and I got nice model to go with my other aliens gubbings and some iron on badges (yay!). Gearbox or whoever made it should be ashamed though, I hope they are.

Edited by bad09 at 12:46:41 21-03-2013
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 12:47:50 55,912 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reads like a 6

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• javvyman 21 Mar 2013 12:50:40 705 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was about to buy this for 12.50 from GAME just now, got to checkout, figured "hey, it's gotta be worth a play, i'll get my money back after the weekend"
    Then another voice inside of me made the point that "Those fuckers don't deserve a penny"

So now i'm going to buy it pre-owned when it's a fiver...
  • bad09 28 Mar 2013 09:46:24 5,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You know what, I'm starting to see why people said the MP is the best part of CM now. Once you get to grips with the terrible control and movement of the aliens it's actually not that bad online. I found myself quite enjoying it last night but then I do that L4D online style, and loving Primal Carnage at the moment to.

Campaign is still fucking terrible though :)
  • Gambit1977 28 Mar 2013 09:49:34 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This still shit then?
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Mar 2013 10:09:24 3,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Once you get to grips with the terrible controls and movement of the aliens it's actually not that bad.
    So what you're saying is that when you accept that the game is awful, its not bad?

Gearbox should have that quote on the back of the 'Game of the Year edition' box.

• bad09 28 Mar 2013 10:17:14 5,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    This still shit then?
    Can't speak for consoles but on PC there is fun to had there and the graphics aren't too bad (there is a crap film grain on it but the are putting in a toggle and it can be modded anyway). If you are on PC and it's cheap (which it is now, the collectors Edition has sunk even lower to 20 notes on Amazon!) give a whirl if you are a fan. They seem keen to save their reputation a bit and trying to fix it up to be fair to Gearbox.

Someone else will have to advise you on console though, I don't think it's had that big patch yet so might be really bad still.
  • bad09 28 Mar 2013 10:23:04 5,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    So what you're saying is that when you accept that the game is awful, its not bad?

Gearbox should have that quote on the back of the 'Game of the Year edition' box.
    Pretty much, mind you I went with expectations so low I do think the only way was up :)
  • Gambit1977 28 Mar 2013 12:38:28 9,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    This still shit then?
    Can't speak for consoles but on PC there is fun to had there and the graphics aren't too bad (there is a crap film grain on it but the are putting in a toggle and it can be modded anyway). If you are on PC and it's cheap (which it is now, the collectors Edition has sunk even lower to 20 notes on Amazon!) give a whirl if you are a fan. They seem keen to save their reputation a bit and trying to fix it up to be fair to Gearbox.

Someone else will have to advise you on console though, I don't think it's had that big patch yet so might be really bad still.
    Cheers for that!
    Think I'll hang on a little longer then...not heard of improvements to the console version..YET!
  • smmuve1 29 Mar 2013 06:03:31 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    imagine my shock at chillin at home and g4 shows me this slick "actual game screen shots "of up comming aliens,colonial marines.it looked sweet as hell to watch.i go to my game stop[ and pre-order.on the 12th,i pick up my copy,come home ,and with my lousy game playing ass,sit down to kick serious ass.screeeeeeech!this is not the game i saw!.i get this rush thru shit that,as a lousy player of all games sold in the sane free FUCKING WORLD!THIS SHIT.we're talking about some confused bastards at gearbox!.who's sole purpose is to screw all gamers in america.is there any wonder why i joined the class action suit to try and ruin these bastards for taking my $60.00 for this shit.graphics are shit,they flicker in spots,i never see how i'm killed,i walk thru people,and have my head in the nearest desk,guns don't fire when needed,too long a return,dam near no interactive backgrounds,no singular missions to go on.an excersise in frustration is what this is.a waste,the game is feces!we deserve better!
  • neilka 23 Jul 2013 17:15:13 14,942 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's campaign DLC out today apparently explaining how Hicks ended up not dead. Which should be interesting.
  • Ultrasoundwave 23 Jul 2013 20:21:20 3,100 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone dared to buy it and try it out?

I'm actually slightly curious if Gearbox have possibly put some effort into it to try and counteract the backlash.

Somehow, I very much doubt it though........

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 20:21:45 23-07-2013

• Triggerhappytel 23 Jul 2013 20:27:43 2,664 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Anyone dared to buy it and try it out?

I'm actually slightly curious if Gearbox have possibly put some effort into it to try and counteract the backlash.

Somehow, I very much doubt it though........
    I suspect more likely is they're sitting out mediocre DLC to fulfil the last part of the contract and provide the additional content for the dozen guys who bought the season pass.
  • neilka 24 Jul 2013 09:14:32 14,942 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So apparently not only did Hicks not die, he was also on Fury 161 to witness Ripley's death (he was round the back).
  • -cerberus- 24 Jul 2013 10:50:17 2,101 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    So apparently not only did Hicks not die, he was also on Fury 161 to witness Ripley's death (he was round the back).
    Good grief... This fanfic shite just keeps getting worse. :rolleyes:

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 9 December 2013 22:38:19
    So, uh, sorry to raise this blighted thread from the depths of gearbox's arsehole but, for some stupid reason, now that I see this for three quid online, I find myself wanting to purchase it and spin through the campaign.

I know it will be balls, but still find myself drawn to it. A night with this and some beers and I could at least have some fun... No?

Can anyone who bothered to play it after getting the patches for 360 tell me if it made it any less laughable to play through?
  • killersrquiet 9 Dec 2013 22:47:00 1,388 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Somehow 3 still feels overpriced.
  • Page

of 57 First / Last