• Lutz 28 Feb 2008 10:32:25 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sonic 2, XBLA, 8/10
  • GloatingSwine 28 Feb 2008 10:49:55 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    presh wrote:
    I'll also weigh in with a 9/10 for Super Mario Galaxy. The main gripe is the fact you lose your accumulated lives each time you turn the console off - a very strange design decision indeed.

See, I have rather a different take on it, the fact that there is still a life counter at all is what baffles me, when by the end of an average session you'll have gone from 4 to about 40, no matter how many times you've actually died, because there's been such a bumper crop of 1up mushrooms.

It seems like they're just keeping it around because they've always had one.
  • sanctusmortis 28 Feb 2008 11:26:45 9,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SMG for me was quite dull. Just couldn't get into it. COD4 was mucho overhyped.

Currently playing:

Shadowrun: WIP 8/10

It'll dip or soar over time. Just a great, well-balanced CS-esque FPS where it's about finding a combo you enjoy rather than anything else.
  • johnlenham 28 Feb 2008 13:35:27 4,000 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jump Ultimate Stars! (DS)

Grat fun just a shame the multiplayer is full of pissed of asians who gang up and kill you then procede to carry on normaly.

9/10 :)
  • thedaveeyres 28 Feb 2008 13:54:38 11,253 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Darkness (360) - finally finished it after having to return my disk to Game only to find that it was an unpatched bug causing the crash.... nearly a year after release. 0_o

8/10

(would have been a 9 if it wasn't for the 2 week hiatus I endured because of shoddy programming, and would have been a 7 if I hadn't picked it up for 14.99)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Kay 28 Feb 2008 14:04:55 17,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    presh wrote:
    I'll also weigh in with a 9/10 for Super Mario Galaxy. The main gripe is the fact you lose your accumulated lives each time you turn the console off - a very strange design decision indeed.

Out of all the little things to criticise SMG for, you pick that as your biggest gripe? Bizarre.

PazJohnMitch wrote:
    TP on the other hand is mildy better than OoT.
    TP is certainly the best Zelda

Er... no, it isn't.

K
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Feb 2008 14:24:21 8,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:

PazJohnMitch wrote:
    TP on the other hand is mildy better than OoT.
    TP is certainly the best Zelda

Er... no, it isn't.

K

So which Zelda is the best then?

Guessing you are going to say a Link to the Past?

I have never fully understood the love for Link to the Past. But then I guess I did not play it when it was released. I actually think Minish Cap is the best 2D Zelda which will probably make everybodies blood boil.
  • sanctusmortis 28 Feb 2008 14:25:51 9,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OoT for me. By the time I was using grass, I was bored in TP.
  • kalel 28 Feb 2008 14:27:42 88,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OoT or LttP are the best, and both are considerably better than TP imho.

I'd actually go so far as to say TP is one of the worst, although it's still a good game.
  • Kay 28 Feb 2008 14:31:45 17,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OoT is superior to TP in practically every way. Graphics aside, the only thing TP adds/ does better is the horseback combat. In fact, I consider TP to be the weakest 3D entry in the series.

And LttP is absolutely timeless.

K
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Feb 2008 14:47:10 8,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    OoT or LttP are the best, and both are considerably better than TP imho.

I'd actually go so far as to say TP is one of the worst, although it's still a good game.

I also enjoyed OoT more than TP but I think that TP is the better game. It has a few pacing issues that OoT did not have but they were probably caused by my over familiarity with the series.

I believe this as I am the only one of my friends to complete both. 5 started OoT but the other 4 gave up. 2 stopped at the Forest Temple and one at the Water Temple. (Not sure about the 4th person). Yet 2/2 finished TP. I must admit there was a 3 month gap in my completion but I still did it.

The real question is if you were recommending either OoT or TP to a person that had never played a Zelda game before which one would you recommend? I would recommend TP as somebody that is new to the series would not have problems with the things that annoyed me. The over use of Zelda themes from yester year would just pass over that person. As much as we all loved OoT at the time it has not actually aged that well. I tried playing it again recently and wish I had not. It spoilt the memory of one of my favourite games instead of enhancing it.
  • kalel 28 Feb 2008 14:51:00 88,371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree with Kay about graphics being the only superiority.

OoT has the best narrative pacing of any game Ive played. The way the story unfolds and events occur is truly magical, especially the temple of time bit, which is my favourite bit in any game ever.

TP is a bit forced by comparison. Its still good, but I just wasnt really engaged in the story. Id recommend OoT over TP any day of the week.

Note this is just one of the many reasons why OoT is better, but its the only one I could really be arsed to mention.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 28 Feb 2008 14:52:58 11,401 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm gonna give Geometry Wars Galaxies 10/10. Great stuff. I'll write a proper reader review for it soon where I'll give it a 9 for all sorts of sensible reasons, but like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime Corruption, it's a 9/10 game that is a 10/10 in my heart.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• LFMartins 28 Feb 2008 20:34:31 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World Series Poker :Tournament of Champions (PSP) - 7/10 - was a bargain and the opportunity of playing a hand of poker while craping is too good to miss.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Mar 2008 05:36:51 8,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just started playing Canis Cadem Edit again. I tried it soon after it was released but barely played a few hours.

Now I have started to play it a bit more I am really enjoying it. I am not the worlds biggest GTA fan to be honest and this has many of the same flaws. (Most of which are control problems).

The game is much more regimented than GTA as you are in boarding school and there is a timetable. Initially this was very repressive after GTA SA and probably why I parked the game the first time. Now I am playing the game how it was initially intended and I am enjoying it more for it. The lessons and time constraints actually add to the game. They make you feel more like a boarding school kid as you can't just do what you feel like all the time like you could in GTA.

From the trailers of GTA IV I get the impression that this lack of freedom is something that Rockstar is focussing on. It does add to the immersion and I currently rate Canis Cadem Edit a high 7/10.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Mar 2008 08:44:33 14,965 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just completed Conan on the 360, not bad. A change from all the FPS I have been playing. 6.5/10.
    It's not good enough for me to want to reply on a harder setting.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Hunam 1 Mar 2008 09:02:53 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Devil May Cry 3 - 7/10. Great gameplay that generally loses good idea's towards the end, massive amount of padding but generally good fun.

FFXII - 8/10. The best FF as far as gameplay goes, which is where most of my marks are coming from, but the story is sparse and half baked in the second half of the game and the characters whilst interesting never fulfil themselves.

Steambot Chronicles - 9/10. I adore this game, it seemingly has a heart of gold, but it can be very sinister with people getting shot or starting wars for oil. So much to do and everything is just full of charm. Controls can be wonky and story doesn't have much direction but the characters are bloody excellent and there is so much to do in the game.
  • LFMartins 1 Mar 2008 12:14:42 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started playing Vice City Stories in the PSP.I cant remember the last time i played a GTA for 3 straight hours.Im amazed how a game with such an epic scale could be ported to such a tiny device.Of course theres some problems with the controls and the pop-ups but the soundtrack is so awesome that youll overlook those aspects.Foreigner's "I want to know what love is",Phil Collinss "In the air tonight" and 10cc "Im not in love" are great tracks for drive-by shootings.

9/10
  • hypernova 15 Mar 2008 13:40:54 1,967 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Timeshift - 6.5/10

Enjoyable little game.
  • reddevil93 15 Mar 2008 13:57:58 11,862 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FIFA '08 online - 9/10

Would be 10 except for quitters. :/

• burns 15 Mar 2008 14:29:36 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Portal 10/10 - Quite astonishing

HL3 EP2 9/10 - Return to form
  • sanctusmortis 15 Mar 2008 17:19:24 9,647 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Last night's games of Shadowrun online - 2/10

Holy fucking christ weren't all the cheats out of the woodwork yesterday. I watched corpses walk, people getting expensive gear in round 1 (how do you afford a 5k rocket launcher when the starting money's 2k/3k for humans? How does a dwarf afford a 2.5k sniper rifle? I mean yeah, you can send money across the team, but the WHOLE TEAM was well equipped!), someone jump across a whole map (top of the power station to sniper tower)... just a complete cheatfest, and I assume that's what happens when you allow Vista players on games like this - they hax!
  • espy 15 Mar 2008 17:47:07 840 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Alien Crossfire - 10/10

There's still nothing wrong with it. I even think it looks ok, 10 years after release.

I'm still terrible at it though.
  • Hunam 15 Mar 2008 17:58:03 20,674 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Frontlines: Fuel of War (PC) Online Multiplayer - 3/10

A massive dissapointment indeed. The game is on max settings and looks ugly. No AA option is a sore miss as the jaggies are everwhere and around everything almost like a border. Controls are shit as the helicopter doesn't work with keyboard as it expects two analog inputs and the weapon scrolling is a tad silly. Some nice things like the kit stuff and remote stuff but the health is a dire problem, i had no difficulting in finding a camping spot and killing 4 people in a clip because everyones health is so low, and there were times when i had just the second spawned and a few loose bullets killed me. The server browser is awful, it lies to you for one, i joined a server it claimed 35 people were playing to be alone and when it refreshes it jiggs the list and your marker stays put on its place on the screen so you lose the server you were looking at.

Quake Wars - 9/10 (since 1.4 patch, 8.7 before)

This is the same format done properly, now all the niggles are worked out and it looks and plays great. Only downside is that somtimes battles can be tipped out of balance very easily.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2008 19:01:30
    Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction 7/10

I've posted about it in the R&C thread, but in short, it's not up to the standard of previous R&C's (particularly 3), favours gimmicks over innovation and has far too much run-of-the-mill level design for my liking. It's still a well-polished, entertaining game that's got plenty of play time packed away in it for those that want to explore it, but Insomniac are capable of better.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 8/10

Loved the exploration and the beautiful visuals (particularly the outstanding animation), but thought there was simply too much combat and the few vehicle sections felt clumsily tacked-on (and were generally a bit annoying to play). Overall very good stuff though.
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Mar 2008 12:41:24 8,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction 7/10

I've posted about it in the R&C thread, but in short, it's not up to the standard of previous R&C's (particularly 3).

Is 3 the best of the series then? It is the only one I have played and I thought it was brilliant.
  • Feanor 16 Mar 2008 14:11:26 14,180 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Audiosurf gets an A- from me. It's not perfect, but being able to play your own favourite songs is incredibly fun.
  • hypernova 16 Mar 2008 17:50:50 1,967 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mario Galaxy - 9/10

Got 78 stars, and the play mechanics became a bit tedious, so I'm not sure I'll go back for more, but while it lasted it was great. The story-book thing with the little girl was charming, the lumas were sweet, and a lot of the music was just brilliant.
  • famous_roy 16 Mar 2008 17:58:09 4,102 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What last game I finished or last game I played?

Well the most recent ones I finished...

Mario Galaxy - 10/10

Disgaea: AOD - 10/10

Beautiful Katamari - 6/10

Megaman: Maverick Hunter X - 8/10

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles -9/10

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Page

of 17 First / Last