Rate the last game you played out of 10 Page 2

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Physically_Insane 12 Feb 2008 09:22:24 8,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just think it's easier to rate a game after you've completed it.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2008 09:23:44 86,409 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Just think it's easier to rate a game after you've completed it.

Suppose so. It will make half the posts in the thread irrelevent though. Seems better to leave it open to me, people aren't going to post any more in this thread if you change the title.
  • haowan 12 Feb 2008 09:25:09 7,384 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sins of a solar empire, started at 4/5, moving steadily down to 3/5, probably back up to 4/5 if i start playing against human beings.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2008 09:25:16
    Nah, if anything make a new thread for that, though there already is, kinda. It just doesn't get paid much attention as people don't complete games that often. This is a bit more interesting I'd say.

Edit: Zelda TP: 7/10

Replaying this at the moment and it sure does start off slow, looking forward to see whether I'll be enjoying it as much when I get into the real meat again.
  • Triggerhappytel 12 Feb 2008 09:25:59 2,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Flashback - Atari Jaguar 3/10

What the fuck? Either it's a Godawful port, or you don't appreciate one of the best ever 2D platformers! :p

Anyway, last game I played was FFXII, but I can't remember the last game I actually completed. Probably Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive Collection, which I'd probably rate 8.5/10 due to some mildly annoying level design.
  • Physically_Insane 12 Feb 2008 09:26:16 8,649 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alright keep the title then
  • funkyd 12 Feb 2008 09:26:37 7,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Half Life 2: Ep. 2 : 8/10

Absolutely amazing game spoiled by the gay antlion scenes and the horrifically difficult strider bit towards the end. Great ending as well.
  • kalel 12 Feb 2008 09:28:32 86,409 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Flashback - Atari Jaguar 3/10

What the fuck? Either it's a Godawful port, or you don't appreciate one of the best ever 2D platformers! :p

Anyway, last game I played was FFXII, but I can't remember the last game I actually completed. Probably Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive Collection, which I'd probably rate 8.5/10 due to some mildly annoying level design.

Even since Mario 64 Iíve not been able to play any platformer where you canít just fling the character around freely. Games like Flashback and the Original Tomb Raider have that slightly painful momentum thing going on. Bit of a dated mechanic.

Flashback was awesome at the time though, especially the second level with the tube stations. That was just magic! I still think of that whenever I go to Gatwick airport.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 Feb 2008 09:32:22 25,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Both last played and completed:

The Club - 8/10

Simplistic but bloody addictive. Now it's time to go back and rack up those high scores!
  • Lutz 12 Feb 2008 09:33:45 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Currently playing:

Half Life 2 via The Orange Box on 360; A 7 at the moment, but will proably rise to an 8.

Ace Combat 6, 360: A straight 10 at the moment. Stunning arcade flight sim.

Earth Defence Force: EDF! EDF! EDF! Yeah! Still a 9/10 despite being frustratingly hard.
  • GloatingSwine 12 Feb 2008 09:36:13 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Word on the street right now is Assassin's Creed. A good 7, at least, maybe 8 on a good day. Not perfect, could do with more variety in content, but by god stabbing people has never been more fun.
  • Triggerhappytel 12 Feb 2008 09:39:36 2,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Even since Mario 64 Iíve not been able to play any platformer where you canít just fling the character around freely. Games like Flashback and the Original Tomb Raider have that slightly painful momentum thing going on. Bit of a dated mechanic.

Flashback was awesome at the time though, especially the second level with the tube stations. That was just magic! I still think of that whenever I go to Gatwick airport.

Admittedly it seems a little stilted by today's standards, but Flashback was so forward-thinking in its day, which is probably a big part of the reason I hold it in such high regard. I understand what you're saying about the animation cycles, but at the time I think it was intended to be realistic more than anything.
  • Lutz 12 Feb 2008 09:46:52 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    Word on the street right now is Assassin's Creed. A good 7, at least, maybe 8 on a good day. Not perfect, could do with more variety in content, but by god stabbing people has never been more fun.
    A good assesment of AC. :)

Puzzle Quest, again a 9/10. Still fire it up for 3 or 4 quests from time to time.
  • Lutz 12 Feb 2008 09:46:53 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GloatingSwine wrote:
    A good assesment of AC. :)

Puzzle Quest, again a 9/10. Still fire it up for 3 or 4 quests from time to time.
  • PhoenixFlames 12 Feb 2008 09:48:17 8,899 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Admittedly it seems a little stilted by today's standards, but Flashback was so forward-thinking in its day, which is probably a big part of the reason I hold it in such high regard. I understand what you're saying about the animation cycles, but at the time I think it was intended to be realistic more than anything.

To be fair I played it for 4 minutes maximum and could not get on with physics, by which I mean pressing a button and waiting what seems like and age for the character to actually do something. Very much like 'Out of the World' on Mega Drive.

I'll admit, I didn't give it a fair chance but I just couldn't take playing the whole game like that.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Der_tolle_Emil 12 Feb 2008 09:51:05 7,299 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Orange Box, to make it simple: 10/10. Episode 1 was a bit weaker than HL2 or Episode 2, but still fantastic. Portal is brilliant, Team Fortress 2 is actually a lot more fun than I thought.

Since I'm playing quite a lot of games at the moment a few more follow.

Zack and Wiki: 8/10, great concept, sometimes a bit unforgiving (dying at the very end of a level because of one simple mistake after spending 20 minutes on it), nevertheless I always come back for it.

Advance Wars Dark Conflict: 9/10. Fantastic gameplay, horrible dialog in the story mode (at least skippable), lots of purple maps and thus a bit uneasy on the eyes sometimes.

Geometry Wars Wii: 9/10. Offers more fun in playing areas that fit on one screen than some other games manage with a complete level.

Umbrella Chronicles: 8/10. Also really good - and quite challenging. I like that.

Tomb Raider Anniversary: 9/10 if the other levels are as great as the first one, loses a bit for shoddy framerates in some places.

Final Fantasy III DS: 8/10. Great to play when in bed, touchscreen controls work really well, for some reason doesn't get repetitive.

Didn't buy any games in November, December and January (moving, new job, no time) that's why I have to catch up at the moment. And I'm really enjoying all the games. Too bad I'm still low on time.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2008 11:04:19 7,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    Can a mod please change the word "played" to "completed" in the title.

Thanks.

Then that would make this thread identical to the one called 'Recently completed games' which is still going strong.
  • Doomspoon 12 Feb 2008 12:02:01 2,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Puzzle Quest DS 8/10. The final boss was too easy with my gamebreaking mage build :( and (not sure if it's just my copy) a bug which means occasional black screening when I start a quest.

Puzzle Quest 360 9/10 pootling around in my early 20s, had to fight Dugog twice to beat him, sure is harder with a knight but enjoying the challenge more and not winning games in 4-5 turns now.

E4 360 9/10 I meant to play for a few minutes and ended up on an unlimited mode session for around an hour but got a couple of 'chieves into the bargain, which was nice.
  • Kay 12 Feb 2008 12:17:19 17,762 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Zelda TP: 7/10

Replaying this at the moment and it sure does start off slow, looking forward to see whether I'll be enjoying it as much when I get into the real meat again.

Again?! It's only been out just over a year!

Anyway, other games I'm playing:

Mario 64, 9/10 - I've completed this so many times, but it still remains a joy to play. Unlike Mario Sunshine (also replayed recently), which really felt like a chore at times. Definitely a timeless classic in my book, probably still better than SMG.

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness, 8/10 - ridiculously addictive and time-consuming, but it could have done with better graphics and a more interesting gameworld. The charming and completely bonkers storyline/characters more than make up for that though. Perfect for the PSP.

K
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2008 12:24:46 58,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HL2 Ep1: Yay! A chance to do a load of levels I have already done again, but this time with Alyx.....7/10

DMC4: HACK!SLASH!HACK!SLASH!HACK!SLASH! Loving it so far. Except for the awful PoP:WW-esque RAWK that kicks in for every fight and a bit of poor map induced wandering about. 8/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• silentbob 12 Feb 2008 12:30:44 28,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OK, so these were shocks:

Drakes Fortune Demo: 7/10
    Was really looking forward to this but ... I mean, is this supposed to be special? Nifty combat and some pretty envinronments for sure, but the animation looks ropey compared with the like of Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and the whole thing just felt entirely underwhelming. :( Is the demo indicative of the full game?

The Club: 8/10
    Very surprised. Visually nothing special per se, but the slick and addictive combo shooty shooty gameplay was great fun. Might well buy.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• JediMasterMalik 12 Feb 2008 12:32:40 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Was really looking forward to this but ... I mean, is this supposed to be special? Nifty combat and some pretty envinronments for sure, but the animation looks ropey compared with the like of Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and the whole thing just felt entirely underwhelming. :( Is the demo indicative of the full game?

The animation was great in the full game, can't really remember how it compared to the demo but I really enjoyed the game despite some low points. (animation wasn't one of them)
  • Aretak 12 Feb 2008 12:35:10 10,345 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Hmm... surprised to hear you speak ill of the animation. It's generally been said (and I agree) that it's one of the most realistic examples of animation in any game, in particular the way it's all blended together. There's not really enough of the old-school Tomb Raidery bits in the demo to show it off though -- the full game is much more balanced between combat and exploration.
  • GloatingSwine 12 Feb 2008 12:40:06 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    Puzzle Quest 360 9/10 pootling around in my early 20s, had to fight Dugog twice to beat him, sure is harder with a knight but enjoying the challenge more and not winning games in 4-5 turns now.

The 360 version also has cooldown added to some of the more horribly broken moves. It's still possible to break the game, but not as much as on the other versions.
  • Gaol 12 Feb 2008 12:44:58 2,263 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    OK, so these were shocks:

The Club: 8/10
    Very surprised. Visually nothing special per se, but the slick and addictive combo shooty shooty gameplay was great fun. Might well buy.

I found the Uncharted demo underwhelming; but then really liked the full game. Hard to place it exactly, but the locations in the demo are repetitive, theres no puzzles/platforming; and the combat takes a bit of getting used to - its actually quite flexible, you can mix it up with run-and-shotgun/hand to hand/sniping which only really comes out in the full game.

Theres nothing particularly new about Uncharted, it just works really well as a whole package.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2008 12:46:14 7,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently playing Exit on PSP which I will give 9/10. It is one of the best puzzle games I have ever played. It was designed by a sadist however but I love it. It is good for a game to out smart you once in a while.

Note that Exit is so hard in places that it should only be played by people that did not get stuck on the water temple in Ocarina of Time.

Also playing Rogue Galaxy on PS2 which I will give a very solid 8/10. I have thoroughly enjoyed it through out except for the libra towers dungeon which was too long. One of the best RPGs on PS2 and there have been a few.

And I have also been playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on and off. I will give that a 7/10. It is one of the best Zelda games I have played but I have played too many. I just do not have the desire to finish them anymore. This one uses the tricks of the DS very well. However in doing so it stops the game been portable as you do not know when you will have to shout into the microphone. (Something you can not do on the tube).
  • Doomspoon 12 Feb 2008 12:46:41 2,416 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is the thing, my DS mage had all his leveling up points spent on fire mastery. I bought enough points in air and water so I could rattle off one Hand of Power in the first turn if I like. Topped with Relic of Fire, Clasp of Fire, Firewalker Staff and Harp of Fire then send one fireball in to a skull cluster and I'm doing respectable damage as is, with a second HoP stacked it does silly damage. That's why I'm enjoying the knight more now.
  • morriss 12 Feb 2008 12:47:41 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DMC 4 (360) - 7 or 8
    NiGHTS - 7 or 8
    Burnout Paradise - 8
  • Deleted user 12 February 2008 12:54:51
    Universal Combat.

Despite being D*r*k Sm*rt, it's not so bad, I guess, although it obviously fails to deliver what it promised. Though it's about as friendly and welcoming as a brick covered in landmines.

4/10 (which is generous for anything spawned from Mr Sm*rt).
  • Hughes. 12 Feb 2008 13:10:19 2,812 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assassin's Creed

6/10

I gave it an extra mark for looking nice.

Use this engine for a decent PoP game and I'll be there, but I doubt I'll buy Ass 2 if and when it shows up.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last