Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 5

  • Page

    of 44 First / Last

  • Stormflood 27 Aug 2009 13:19:04 2,263 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sure thing MrED. I'll post some pics when it arrives tomorrow.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2009 13:22:03
    Coolio thanks dude, would be really helpful :)
  • Tonka 27 Aug 2009 13:29:11 21,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anti glare... coooool.

    I have a newbie quetsion.

    I used to have a PC laptop and I set it up so that everytime I started it it would try to connect to the Workserver at my office. If I wasn't at the office it wouldn't and that would be that.

    Now with my Mac I have to manually click on network and the work server. Is there a way to have it try to connect automatically?

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 13:34:33 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, create an alias to the network drive and drag that into startup items (in your account settings).

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Tonka 27 Aug 2009 13:50:15 21,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks a million. It worked. Only weird thing is that it opened an empty text document as well...

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Tomo 27 Aug 2009 13:55:09 13,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ooo, not heard of Perian. VLC is the mutsnuts really though.

    And +1 for Coda. I don't even know how to use it and I know it's awesome.
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 14:01:57 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    VLC is a great media player but the thing about Perian is that it allows you to play absolutely everything within Quicktime, which makes all the difference in the world. Finally you can use Front Row, Quick View, Safari etc to watch all the tat that you download.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Tomo 27 Aug 2009 14:02:36 13,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh ok, I see. Now that's really very clever. I'll give it a whirl.
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 14:04:14 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Thanks a million. It worked. Only weird thing is that it opened an empty text document as well...
    That's odd. Try fiddling about with it a bit - look at the alias properties or just drag the network volume's icon directly to the startup box.

    Also, a volume will mount automatically if another application points to it - for example, I have an iTunes library on a network volume and that volume mounts automatically whenever I launch iTunes.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Tonka 27 Aug 2009 14:10:09 21,354 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Perian is great. I had some freezes in VLC a week ago and swiched to QuickTime with Perian. No probs after that.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Tomo 27 Aug 2009 14:11:16 13,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does Perian kind of render Quicktime Pro obsolete then? I don't really know what's in Pro mind.
  • tincanrocket 27 Aug 2009 14:11:36 3,030 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Anyone using a mac for work? how is the mac version of office? does entourage have the outlook style contact managment system?

    Snow Leopard allegedly implements proper Groupware functionality, so it *should* work far better. Entourage is okay, but I prefer iCal and Mail myself. The only major issue Mac Office has is that Word doesn't correctly handle right to left languages, but you can get around this by using NeoOffice (OpenOffice for OSX), which is free.
  • Tomo 27 Aug 2009 14:13:21 13,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For me, Mac Office has always been a bit rubbish compared to Windows Office. Slower, menus are a bit weird to navigate. Stuff like that. But it's still useable, definitely.
  • otto Moderator 27 Aug 2009 14:13:38 49,335 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, OpenOffice is OpenOffice for OSX... ;p

    NeoOffice is an OSX skinned version of X11 OpenOffice which has rather lost its point now that there's a proper OSX version of the latter.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Venkman90 28 Aug 2009 11:04:56 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Venkman90 wrote:
    Anyone using a mac for work? how is the mac version of office? does entourage have the outlook style contact managment system?

    Snow Leopard allegedly implements proper Groupware functionality, so it *should* work far better. Entourage is okay, but I prefer iCal and Mail myself. The only major issue Mac Office has is that Word doesn't correctly handle right to left languages, but you can get around this by using NeoOffice (OpenOffice for OSX), which is free.

    So Entourage has the contact managment system that outlook has? that's the main issue I have as I am used to using ACT.
  • Stormflood 29 Aug 2009 17:46:21 2,263 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:
    Just picked up a MPB 15" 2.66 with anti-glare :)

    My newbie question: Can anyone recommend a good suite of hand coding/site managament apps for web design. Coda looks gorgeous, is that the one to get?
    Coda is awesome and I understand there's plenty of plugins to make it do other stuff that's handy.

    As for your anti-glare MBP, can you post a photo or two of the thing with the screen open - I want to see what it looks like without the glass. It's not the anti-glare feature I'm interested in as I'm sure it works, but I'm interested in the aesthetics of the screen without the glass and the black trim.

    Better late than never.. http://yfrog.com/5himg3554kj

    It's not as sexy as the black gloss, but I need to see the screen, not my relfection.
  • Fizzog 29 Aug 2009 18:00:30 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Stormflood wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:
    Just picked up a MPB 15" 2.66 with anti-glare :)

    My newbie question: Can anyone recommend a good suite of hand coding/site managament apps for web design. Coda looks gorgeous, is that the one to get?
    Coda is awesome and I understand there's plenty of plugins to make it do other stuff that's handy.

    As for your anti-glare MBP, can you post a photo or two of the thing with the screen open - I want to see what it looks like without the glass. It's not the anti-glare feature I'm interested in as I'm sure it works, but I'm interested in the aesthetics of the screen without the glass and the black trim.

    Better late than never.. http://yfrog.com/5himg3554kj

    It's not as sexy as the black gloss, but I need to see the screen, ]not my relfection.

    Have you ever actually used a "glossy screen"? I've never once seen my reflection on my MacBook's screen
  • paul_haine 29 Aug 2009 18:19:11 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:
    Just picked up a MPB 15" 2.66 with anti-glare :)

    My newbie question: Can anyone recommend a good suite of hand coding/site managament apps for web design. Coda looks gorgeous, is that the one to get?
    Coda is awesome and I understand there's plenty of plugins to make it do other stuff that's handy.

    As for your anti-glare MBP, can you post a photo or two of the thing with the screen open - I want to see what it looks like without the glass. It's not the anti-glare feature I'm interested in as I'm sure it works, but I'm interested in the aesthetics of the screen without the glass and the black trim.

    Better late than never.. http://yfrog.com/5himg3554kj

    It's not as sexy as the black gloss, but I need to see the screen, ]not my relfection.

    Have you ever actually used a "glossy screen"? I've never once seen my reflection on my MacBook's screen

    I see my reflection in my Macbook's screen all the time. You must be a vampire.
  • Fizzog 29 Aug 2009 18:42:33 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    paul_haine wrote:
    Fizzog wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:
    Stormflood wrote:
    Just picked up a MPB 15" 2.66 with anti-glare :)

    My newbie question: Can anyone recommend a good suite of hand coding/site managament apps for web design. Coda looks gorgeous, is that the one to get?
    Coda is awesome and I understand there's plenty of plugins to make it do other stuff that's handy.

    As for your anti-glare MBP, can you post a photo or two of the thing with the screen open - I want to see what it looks like without the glass. It's not the anti-glare feature I'm interested in as I'm sure it works, but I'm interested in the aesthetics of the screen without the glass and the black trim.

    Better late than never.. http://yfrog.com/5himg3554kj

    It's not as sexy as the black gloss, but I need to see the screen, ]not my relfection.

    Have you ever actually used a "glossy screen"? I've never once seen my reflection on my MacBook's screen

    I see my reflection in my Macbook's screen all the time. You must be a vampire.

    Seriously. I don't get any reflections on my MacBook whatsoever, it's completely reflection-free.
  • coastal 29 Aug 2009 18:51:48 5,390 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can i throw in a side question? I bought a mac book pro on ebay (650, 15" 4GB 2.33Ghz, no OSX disc). The screen latch is a little stuck and will only pop open the screen if the laptop held at an angle. The screen won't pop if the laptop's lying flat. Though i'm a little miffed that the seller didn't include this in the description i hear that it's a common fault and really i should expect this to be the case. The OCD anal dude in me (yeah yeah) says get it repaired but i hear that apple repairs are ridiculously expensive. Any ideas of repair costs on such a thing or does this happen to all mac pros?

    bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

  • Stormflood 29 Aug 2009 18:54:57 2,263 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Seriously. I don't get any reflections on my MacBook whatsoever, it's completely reflection-free."

    Are you SURE you have a glossy MBP?
  • deem 29 Aug 2009 22:39:54 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to say, I've always avoided glossy screens, but the MBP I have bow has one, and with the exception of working outside, I have never had any kind of reflections what so ever. My desk is under a glass roof, and 3 feet away from floor to ceiling windows and huge glass double doors but I've yet to have even the slightest reflection.
  • Dirtbox 29 Aug 2009 22:44:19 79,210 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Depends entirely if the light reflecting off the screen is brighter than the screen's own light.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Deleted user 29 August 2009 22:47:49
    coastal wrote:
    Can i throw in a side question? I bought a mac book pro on ebay (650, 15" 4GB 2.33Ghz, no OSX disc). The screen latch is a little stuck and will only pop open the screen if the laptop held at an angle. The screen won't pop if the laptop's lying flat. Though i'm a little miffed that the seller didn't include this in the description i hear that it's a common fault and really i should expect this to be the case. The OCD anal dude in me (yeah yeah) says get it repaired but i hear that apple repairs are ridiculously expensive. Any ideas of repair costs on such a thing or does this happen to all mac pros?

    You can buy a new case and fit it yourself for about 100. I did this when I trashed the keyboard through some juice. I went online and discovered guides on how to take it apart. I then stripped it down, discovered what was bust and ordered the new pasts from the US. I could look up the company I used if you cant find something similar.

    Obviously this invalidates your warranty if it still has one.
  • Deleted user 29 August 2009 22:49:12
    I've got to say I'm finding it hard to believe you've not had a reflection, but without seeing how you've generally got it positioned and what's behind it and stuff, hard to say. Maybe you do but you just don't really perceive them.

    I have a glossy iMac and generally am not bothered by reflections at night but at certain times of day very bright sunlight hits the pale walls behind me and that lights up in my screen really badly.

    It seems as if the MBP without the glossy screen has just had the glass removed - or is it a different screen unit as well, calibrated specifically for viewing without glass? Basically - could I buy a glossy MBP and take the glass out?
  • coastal 29 Aug 2009 23:55:08 5,390 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AngeleDei wrote:
    coastal wrote:
    Can i throw in a side question? I bought a mac book pro on ebay (650, 15" 4GB 2.33Ghz, no OSX disc). The screen latch is a little stuck and will only pop open the screen if the laptop held at an angle. The screen won't pop if the laptop's lying flat. Though i'm a little miffed that the seller didn't include this in the description i hear that it's a common fault and really i should expect this to be the case. The OCD anal dude in me (yeah yeah) says get it repaired but i hear that apple repairs are ridiculously expensive. Any ideas of repair costs on such a thing or does this happen to all mac pros?

    You can buy a new case and fit it yourself for about 100. I did this when I trashed the keyboard through some juice. I went online and discovered guides on how to take it apart. I then stripped it down, discovered what was bust and ordered the new pasts from the US. I could look up the company I used if you cant find something similar.

    Obviously this invalidates your warranty if it still has one.

    That's damn good to know. Many thanks AngeleDei.

    bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

  • Tomo 30 Aug 2009 00:22:20 13,985 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree with deem - never had a problem with the glossiness. I think I'd prefer a matte one, but it's really never been nearly as bad as I'd expected.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2009 09:39:47
    For those who ever need it, the people I bought my replacement macbook keyboard are Power Book Medic . They have online manuals and video repair guides to help you with the replacement.

    Replacing my macbook's keyboard was "fiddly" (probably the hardest component to replace) , but doable.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 30 Aug 2009 09:50:23 14,034 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone used Monolingual to delete all the unnecessary languages? Does it harm your computer in any way?

    Also what other unnecessary stuff is there I can delete and how do I do that?
  • Page

    of 44 First / Last

Log in or register to reply