100% cocoa chocolate bars

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Aranel 6 Feb 2008 16:41:15 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone tried these? I got some for Christmas from Hotel Chocolat....ugh, they're bitter, but strangely addictive!
  • THFourteen 6 Feb 2008 16:44:19 34,471 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i tried some at greenwich market, i thought they were foul sorry...

also i went to the innocent smoothie festival last year and spend 8 quid on an organic burger with organic ketchup

THE most disgusting burger i have ever eaten

i think i just hate organic food

prefer additives thanks very much :)
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 16:45:38 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

also i went to the innocent smoothie festival last year and spend 8 quid on an organic burger with organic ketchup

Did something similar (burger) in the Giraffe Cafe here. There was a promo night so I blagged my way in. Worst fucking food I've ever eaten and holy crap the cost, oh god the cost...

Gourmet burgers = shite too
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 16:47:01 23,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find 80% about my limit and even then, I eat them a hell of a lot slower than the 70%

How do they stick 100% cocoa together to make a bar?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• THFourteen 6 Feb 2008 16:47:51 34,471 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cocoa butter :)
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 16:48:03
    Itís all a bit confused. A chocolate bar doesnít have to be 100% cocoa to be organic does it? And what does that mean anyway, 100%? Is it literally nothing but cocoa in it? Sounds awful.

Organic meat is generally much better tasting than regular, so Iím surprised the burgers were bad.
  • pjmaybe 6 Feb 2008 16:48:57 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I find 80% about my limit and even then, I eat them a hell of a lot slower than the 70%

How do they stick 100% cocoa together to make a bar?

Smash it to powder then freeze dry it I guess.

I've tried 100% cocoa as a drink, it's actually quite nice - very bitter like good coffee but with more of a nicer aftertaste.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 6 Feb 2008 16:50:46 14,034 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    70-80% is perfect for me, no need for 100%.
  • MetalDog 6 Feb 2008 16:50:47 23,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I drink 100% cocoa powder all the time since I had to give up coffee, but I do throw a fair blob of honey and a dash of milk in there with the hot water.

Yummy.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• gang_of_bitches 6 Feb 2008 16:51:29 5,644 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Did something similar (burger) in the Giraffe Cafe here. There was a promo night so I blagged my way in. Worst fucking food I've ever eaten and holy crap the cost, oh god the cost...

Gourmet burgers = shite too

Giraffe is just the biggest load of shit comapny ever. Anyone who buys into their world food schtick is a cunt.

I do like gourmet burgers, but hate most gourmet sausages.

As for chocolate 100% does seem like an awful lot of cocoa. 60%ish for me.
  • Aranel 6 Feb 2008 16:55:06 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It’s all a bit confused. A chocolate bar doesn’t have to be 100% cocoa to be organic does it? And what does that mean anyway, 100%? Is it literally nothing but cocoa in it? Sounds awful.

The ingredients are: "Cocoa mass - contains 100% minimum cocoa solids" although there is a warning that it might also contain nuts, so not quite sure how the maths works there. Absolutely no clue if it's organic or not because I don't buy into all the crap.

Not sure I would actually buy it, but it is getting eaten albeit at a very slow pace
  • Mageme 6 Feb 2008 16:58:07 2,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure I'd want to try 100% cocoa. I have 70% once in a while and that's bitter enough (but nice).

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• mrharvest 6 Feb 2008 17:01:56 5,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aranel wrote:
    The ingredients are: "Cocoa mass - contains 100% minimum cocoa solids" although there is a warning that it might also contain nuts, so not quite sure how the maths works there.
    Afaik the percentages are calculated from how much ingredients goes in versus what's left. I've seen sausages which are over 100% meat as the meat loses water in the process and the resulting sausage weighs less than the meat initially did.
  • Shinji 6 Feb 2008 17:14:34 5,903 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Organic meat is generally much better tasting than regular, so Iím surprised the burgers were bad.

Lots of people can't quite stomach food without the processing and additives. Shame, really, although if it means shorter queues for me when I decide to slake my burger cravings at Hamburger Union or GBK, I'm all for it ;)
  • mrharvest 6 Feb 2008 17:27:40 5,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been to GBK in Kingston-upon-Thames three times and I wasn't too impressed with their food. I even tried one of their Angus beef burgers to compare if the problem was just with their veggie stuff. They do pretty big portions though, which is great, but I didn't think the food was that spectacular. Or maybe it's just a problem with this particular branch?

I don't normally eat burgers. Before GBK the last time I had one was a giant shrimp burger in Japan in 2001.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2008 17:33:39
    Not been to GBK but I do like Hamburger Union, although more because of their simple attitude to the whole thing. Can stand ridiculously overblown gourmet burgers with venison and stilton and cranberries and all that shit. HBU do good burgers, simple and tasty.

Thereís an organic butcher on the East End Road in North London called Grahams, I go there for a treat sometimes. Itís stupidly expensive, but OMG the meat is fantastic. It really is just a different experience eating that stuff, especially the things that you donít really think will be that different, like chicken and bacon. Canít beat a good sirloin though. Mmmmm.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next