• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 20 April 2013 23:06:00
    Not the Trevi, no.
  • LockeTribal 14 May 2013 16:51:54 4,490 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holidays booked for Rome at the end of August / start of September! Other than the obvious tourist attractions any recommendations for what to see, where to go, best places to eat, etc?

We're staying fairly near Termini, so should be able to get about fairly easily.
  • ascue 14 May 2013 16:54:35 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Watch out for those pricey ice-creams.
  • LeoliansBro 14 May 2013 16:56:55 43,125 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The ... bottom left of the map, over the Tiber island is the old servant district (Trastevere) - the restaurants around the piazza Di Santa Maria are the best we found. Touristy still but not obnoxiously touristy, and good prices.

Dead on the other side of the centre from Termini but worth it.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LockeTribal 14 May 2013 17:19:12 4,490 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers LB!

Almost tempted to go looking for one of those €32 ice-cream cones. Surely at that price they must be delicious...

We'd also be interested in seeing any of the more unusual things Rome has to offer. We went to Prague a few years ago and loved the place but one of the stand out memories was our trip to the sex toy museum :)
  • Kay 14 May 2013 17:46:00 17,756 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't really recommend anything other than the usual touristy stuff (Vatican City, Colosseum, Pantheon), although I do remember there being an odd wooden toy shop somewhere in the centre, if you want to see something a little different. Also, Villa Borghese gardens are definitely worth visiting.

Just walking around is enjoyable in itself, it's a great city with something interesting around every corner. Enjoy!
  • TarickStonefire 27 May 2014 07:26:35 2,887 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Heading there for 6 days in a couple of weeks! Good thread, pasted most of it into an Evernote entry :)

We just booked Colisseum tour tickets through the official folk for 9:20am as the wife wanted to avoid crowds, but I've just realised I'd rather have a look in the evening as light nicer for photos. Am I right in thinking once you've got your Col/Forum/Palatine entry ticket it works as many times as you like all day? Or once you leave, that's it?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Tonka 27 May 2014 07:43:21 20,006 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be extremely surprised if it was multiple entry.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• CharlieStCloud 27 May 2014 08:40:01 5,011 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

I might get heckled for saying this however, as nice as Rome is, the City truly only comes to life at night time.

... whilst you have already booked the tickets for the Colosseum, which I say now that you go in with low expectations as the place is a bit of a sand pit to be honest, do go back when the sun goes down as the lights surrounding the Colosseum itself is a marvel those coach-load of daytime tourist never get to see.

You could think about getting the train from Rome to Naples (only 80-90 minutes away on the fast train) and perhaps spend a long day in Sorrento, which is only second to the beauty of Tuscany and the Chianti vineyards. Again, as nice as Rome is, you'll likely see 'everything' in three full days and to get away from the hustle and bustle may well be tempting.

Make sure you BUY THE TICKETS BEFORE QUEUEING UP! The number of folks who join a long queue only for them to realised you have to buy a ticket once they reach the entrance to so-and-so place is astonishing.

Try and have a meal at the Campo dei Fiori in the Parione district. It is one of the jewels of Rome. In the morning it's a bustling marketplace, that transforms into a nightlife centre in the evening - all amid a beautiful setting steeped with history.

I could go on and on; Rome is a really special place, but do acknowledge that you can always (quite easily) get away from the city for a day.

: )
  • ILoveThrashMetal 27 May 2014 09:43:13 651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If you're visiting the Vatican or fancy doing the catacombs I highly recommend using this lot www.darkrome.com you get to see a lot more as you start your tour before its open to the public. Otherwise they get upto 50000 visitors a day and the queues are huge!
    Also check out Museum of the Holy Souls in Purgatory, just down the road from St Peters square, not much to see but what you do is very thought provoking.
    Also take a broom, Rome is filthy dirty.

Edited by ILoveThrashMetal at 09:43:37 27-05-2014

Arsechickens

• Tonka 27 May 2014 09:45:17 20,006 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My top tip is to buy a take away pizza (cuts the price to a quarter of eat in usually) and sit on the spanish steps in the evening.

Bonus tip

• ILoveThrashMetal 27 May 2014 09:57:02 651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    My top tip is to buy a take away pizza (cuts the price to a quarter of eat in usually) and sit on the spanish steps in the evening.

Bonus tip
    And not all pizza comes with cheese! As I found out to my horror.
    If you're a cat lover go to the Torre Argentina cat sanctuary (I think Ceaser was murdered here) and see what a wonderful job this lady does for moggies, this also was the most expensive for us as we gave half our spending money to them.

Arsechickens

• TarickStonefire 27 May 2014 12:56:57 2,887 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well I think we made a mistake booking tickets for Colosseum in the morning, but the wife figured it would be slightly less busy, and much less hot. I wouldn't mind paying another E12 (fucked if I can find the euro symbol on this keyboard!) to go back in at the end of the day as sun sets and the lights come on, but it closes an hour before sunset anyway doesn't it? Will it get that dark/lit up?

Good other tips! But we aren't going to be hanging around Rome at night I'm afraid, unless there's something specific we should go and see that looks better at night (I'm aware almost everything looks better all lit up at night!). In terms of 'night life' we've got no interest in clubs, drinking, any of that sort of 'night time' thing.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:59:50 27-05-2014

• Aargh, 27 May 2014 12:58:16 163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alt gr 4

Operating systems complete me

• TarickStonefire 27 May 2014 12:59:06 2,887 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Aargh, on my Mac alt-4 is ˘. What's alt 'gr' 4?

• Aargh, 27 May 2014 13:07:51 163 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Try option - 2 on a mac.

I suggest just walking around the central areas in the evening, most places will look really nice. Just be careful with crossings, they don't mean anything to the drivers. The coliseum at night didn't do much for me, it did have a lot of street sellers around which put me off.

Edited by Aargh, at 13:10:26 27-05-2014

Operating systems complete me

• Load_2.0 27 May 2014 13:21:44 18,829 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its been a long time but I found the tourist bus tour thing really useful for getting initial bearings, you can jump on and off, once you know where you are you can get around on foot fairly easily.
  • PazJohnMitch 27 May 2014 13:29:13 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Rome was excellent.

We saw a hell of a lot in 4 days. (Pretty much all major and second tier attractions).

It was a bit of a military operation :
    Day 1: Colosseum and Forum. Plus a museum.
    Day 2: Vatican City
    Day 3: 2 Statue museums, 3 churches and the Pantheon. Plus shopping, Trevi fountains and Spanish steps.
    Day 4: 2 art galleries.

We were only meant to be there for 3 days, hence how crazy day 3 was. (Snow at Gatwick cancelled flight).

In 6 days you should be able to see everything and at a more relaxed pace.

The Rough Guide does a very good 4 day plan which we essentially crammed into 3 days.
  • Tonka 27 May 2014 13:39:00 20,006 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Being a pretentious twat I'd like to add that I enjoyed the area around the Sixteen Chapel exit. It was a real are without any bloody tourist street sellers. Just proper street markets with proper stuff and ugly graffiti on the walls.

• TarickStonefire 27 May 2014 13:46:16 2,887 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As someone used to London will I need to be much more vigilant than I'm already used to about keeping my bag slung across chest, keeping camera glued to hand, putting all forms of money/wallet into a bag pocket rather than easily dippable short pockets, etc?

Basically, is Rome a wretched hive of scum and villainy? Or is it actually nothing like London? ;)

• PazJohnMitch 27 May 2014 13:59:52 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vatican City is certainly full of scammers (even off season when i went).

Not sure about muggers but expect Vatican and the Forum areas to be very bad. (Worse than London).

I think your standard London approach would be fine in Rome. Also make a point of saying you are not American if asked.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 27 May 2014 14:17:06 651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Our guide told us to be extra careful in the basilica, as in pick pockets.
    Also as we were walking down past castel sant'angelo to get to a church we wanted to visit, we were greeted by a group of men who enquired where we were visiting, ushering us towards a table with 'official'  looking paperwork. Then had a pen shoved in my hand while being surrounded by half a dozen dodgy characters asking me to sign 'help for drug users'. I think "fuck off cunt" is universal.
    Everybody wants your money, not even the Catholic Church and their billions give free wifi!

Arsechickens

• TarickStonefire 27 May 2014 14:18:16 2,887 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Vatican City is certainly full of scammers (even off season when i went).

Not sure about muggers but expect Vatican and the Forum areas to be very bad. (Worse than London).

I think your standard London approach would be fine in Rome. Also make a point of saying you are not American if asked.
    And if one of us *is* American...? ;)

• StarchildHypocrethes 27 May 2014 14:22:56 25,390 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    the Sixteen Chapel
    Love that place. So much better than the other 15.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next