Official Far Cry 2 thread

• Page

of 56 First / Last

Previous
  • SomaticSense 25 Jan 2008 15:42:36 8,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just read the Edge preview, and it's become easily one of my most anticipated games of the year, and as such I feel this game deserves a proper thread for general discussion. I'm a bit bored as well, so.....

It sounds like STALKER, but more action-focused and set in the plains of Africa. It really sounds incredible and truly current-gen stuff.

Note-worthy stuff includes:

- Proper, authentic atmosphere of Africa. "I want to create an analogue experience for the player. I want him to feel the grime under his fingernails, the sweat, smell the gun oil. I wanted to guns jamming, the dust - the world isn't his clean sterile digital representation of Africa", explains Louis-Pierre Pharand, producer of the game. Sounds like it could be PR bull, but sounds incredible none the less and will be amazing if they actually pull it off.

- Changing enemy attitudes toward you based on your reputation. They act uneasy and hesitant around you if you have the rep of being a bit of a badass.

- NPC's that actually have schedules, not unlike those seen in Oblivion. This adds more scope for tactics. Attack camps at night for a chance to catch them sleeping and for the cover of the black night.

- Enemies also help each other. One example is spoken about where an enemy is shot by the player out in the open which leads to one of his AI squaddies venturing out and dragging him back to cover at the expense of being open himself. The tactical potential for this sounds huge.

- A working ecosystem. Do you avoid travelling by that herd of cows which could wig out and alert the enemy to your presence?

- Truly groundbreaking fire effects. Fire spreads realistically according to the substance. Wind also affects how it behaves. This adds potential tactics such as distractions or burning down rope bridges to cut off enemy pursuers. Wind is such an important factor that it's important to use the given wind indicator before attempting such a tactic, lest it backfire on you.

- An interesting new take on a health system. The game sounds like it uses a bar system which is replenished using syrettes (sounds kind of like Halo 1's, minus the recharging shield). Major damage results in wounds which will result in death if not tended to in time. If hit while tending to it, you'll die instantly, which means you'll temporarily have to find somewhere safe to hide while you fix yourself up (which involves graphic animations - eg, pulling the bullet out).

- Guns that aren't of the usual ultra-reliable video game kind. With extended use they'll wear depending on how reliable they are. For example, the AK-47 is massively reliable and will last much longer, whereas the auto-shotgun has a tendancy to break down much more quickly. Sounds like it adds a perfect balance to the weapons that prevents gamers from sticking to the most owerful all the time and encourages resourcefulness.

- Running out of ammo? Then use one of the myriad of ammo-dumps dotted around the place. Doesn't sound that spectacular, but you can also chose to blow these up to weaken the enemy's defense in the camps.

- Not sure if it has a bone fide cover system, but there is mention of a slide-to-cover move which snaps you to safe cover.

- Your player character suffers from malaria. This means that throughout the game you have to track down doctors and priests in order to get the necessary anti-malaria drugs. I'm not sure if not doing this leads to death (that would be crap personally, as it would just amount to a timer for the whole, and we know how much that sucks in even one level. *looks at CoD4*), it certainly implies that your character at least gets weaker over time.

- The 'Buddy' system. Buddies are certain NPC's throughout the game, which, if you help them, will help you in return at certain points throughout the game. If they die they are gone for good. It isn't made clear as to whether these 'Buddies' are made obvious at the time, but it would be brilliant if they weren't. To be in a bit of bother later on only for 'some bloke', who you just happened to save earlier, comes to your rescue with a Land Rover or whatnot sounds utterly epic.

- And very importantly, no mutant crap. "Don't expect mutants as some surprise later on", states Pharand.

Like I said, it's sounds absolutely immense and has become my second most anticipated game behind GTA4. I'm really excited about this one. And apparently it'll be nearly identical to the PC version :)
  • ecureuil 25 Jan 2008 15:51:49 76,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's coming out on PC and PS3 too, how about just a general gaming thread? No, maybe not then. Bloody 360 bias again.
  • WrongShui 25 Jan 2008 15:58:48 6,613 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    - And very importantly, no mutant crap. "Don't expect mutants as some surprise later on", states Pharand.

Except the Malaria you contract at the start of the game, that transforms you into a bile spewing monster.
  • istandfreed 25 Jan 2008 16:05:35 2,388 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That all sounds excellent, very ambitious though. Hope they can pull it off and not it ends up as gimmicks that fail to add anything significant to the gameplay.
  • elredeyegrande 25 Jan 2008 16:07:53 2,382 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So will it be as borked as the first Far Cry on the 360?
  • SomaticSense 25 Jan 2008 16:10:56 8,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's coming out on PC and PS3 too, how about just a general gaming thread? No, maybe not then. Bloody 360 bias again.

If you want to take it personal, then that's fine by me.

It's not meant as 360 bias though, this is meant as a thread for the 360 version of the game. If you want to create a thread for the others then fine. I personally though would like this thread to avoid all the fanboy crap about the difference in graphics or whatnot and just focus on discussing the 360 version of the game. What's wrong with that?
  • glaeken 25 Jan 2008 16:13:08 11,144 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's sounding very good apart from the gunís becoming unreliable in use as that just sounds annoying.

Yes things deteriate in real life but its hardly a fun element to simulate it. What next? are we going to have darn our socks after every few hundred yards?
  • SomaticSense 25 Jan 2008 16:13:57 8,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elredeyegrande wrote:
    So will it be as borked as the first Far Cry on the 360?

Apparently not. It'll be pretty much the same as the PC version, which is a sequel to the 'proper' Far Cry released there.

We all know how much Ubi hype things up to the cost of the impact of the game, ala Assassin's Creed, but the Montreal branch also made R6: Vegas, so they have a very good rep in making quality FPS as far as I'm concerned.
  • ecureuil 25 Jan 2008 16:14:49 76,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

If you want to take it personal, then that's fine by me.

It's not meant as 360 bias though, this is meant as a thread for the 360 version of the game. If you want to create a thread for the others then fine. I personally though would like this thread to avoid all the fanboy crap about the difference in graphics or whatnot and just focus on discussing the 360 version of the game. What's wrong with that?

Nothing really, but don't you think it would be better where we can have a nice big thread to all talk about the game, rather than segregating the EG userbase? The versions will certainly be damn near identical, so I think it would be a good thing.
  • SomaticSense 25 Jan 2008 16:19:06 8,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that's a fair point.

If any mod lurking around out there could band this under'General Gaming' and edit out the '360' in the title, I'd be grateful :)
  • WrongShui 25 Jan 2008 16:44:29 6,613 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    It's sounding very good apart from the gunís becoming unreliable in use as that just sounds annoying.

Yes things deteriate in real life but its hardly a fun element to simulate it. What next? are we going to have darn our socks after every few hundred yards?

Things don't just deteriorate that quickly. Infact with maintenance and care things last for ages.

Shit you can fill an AK47 with sand and it still shoots, yet in STALKER your lucky to fire 100 rounds before it starts shooting sideways.

Edit : This crap has been in games for too long, it's a shite lazy game mechanic, sort it out you lazy bastards.
  • pjmaybe 25 Jan 2008 16:48:03 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Because the previous console Far Cry efforts have been so hit and miss (read: shit) I'm waiting for a demo of this.

It's encouraging that they've seemingly done away with the mutants, but it sounds like they've also done away with Jack Carver too, and they're putting in some horrible hateful design decisions to make up for a (possible) lack of a decent baddie...

The problem with this game is going to be the constant comparisons to Crysis and I bet that'll get reflected in the reviews too...
  • ecureuil 25 Jan 2008 16:48:43 76,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The previews so far have been really positive, though. I'm optimistic about it.
  • WrongShui 25 Jan 2008 16:50:02 6,613 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm optimistic, we need more non linear shooters.
  • pjmaybe 25 Jan 2008 16:51:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am pretty optimistic. TBH as gorgeous as Crysis is to look at, it's a horrible game (I prefer Far Cry as a game not as a tech demo).

Really hope the emphasis is on a good solid narrative driven single player experience too
  • UncleLou Moderator 25 Jan 2008 16:55:10 35,512 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I am pretty optimistic. TBH as gorgeous as Crysis is to look at, it's a horrible game (I prefer Far Cry as a game not as a tech demo).

Really? I think the first half or two thirds of Crysis are as good as the best bits of Far Cry - very similar, but I actually preferred the level design in Crysis.

Anyway, kind of agree with ecureil that it's a bit unnecessray to make platform-specific threads to discuss general stuff of a game.
  • motti82 25 Jan 2008 17:37:53 2,882 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

Things don't just deteriorate that quickly. Infact with maintenance and care things last for ages.

Shit you can fill an AK47 with sand and it still shoots, yet in STALKER your lucky to fire 100 rounds before it starts shooting sideways.

Edit : This crap has been in games for too long, it's a shite lazy game mechanic, sort it out you lazy bastards.

I like the idea of it though, as its not often that you should have to rely on one gun for an entire game, and plus it suits the scavenger-esque mode where you have to think ahead.

Looking forward to this, as I loved FarCry on the Xbox180.
  • matrim83 25 Jan 2008 17:42:45 5,587 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:

Really? I think the first half or two thirds of Crysis are as good as the best bits of Far Cry - very similar, but I actually preferred the level design in Crysis.

Anyway, kind of agree with ecureil that it's a bit unnecessray to make platform-specific threads to discuss general stuff of a game.

Having replayed Crysis recently I am almost certain that Far cry was alot more open ended.

Regardless I would agree with peej Far cry is the superior of the two. Even if you don't compare the mutant-alien parts.

Actually I loved the mutant parts in Far cry. Hated the Alien parts in Crysis which might explain my bias.

Valar morghulis.

• Katsumoto 25 Jan 2008 17:49:30 1,358 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah on balance I preferred Far Cry too. The levels were more open and the mutants werent as piss-irritating as the aliens, nor did the so fundamentally alter the pacing of the game. That's not to say I didn't think Crysis was amazing, mind.

I am (warily) looking forward to this, a great deal. If they actually manage to get all 3 versions the same then that will be awesome and I will be tres impressed (i'll be getting the Pc one anyway as I can't hit anything with gamepads!).
  • Deleted user 21 February 2008 23:09:33
    New video from GDC showing off the engine. Looks really nice in my opinion, and after the recent preview in Edge this is probably one of my most anticipated titles of the year.
  • Triggerhappytel 21 Feb 2008 23:32:33 2,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can I just say, SomaticSense, well done for not calling this topic 'The ***OFFICIAL*** Far Cry 2 thread'.

The game looks good too, but this is coming from the same team who developed the sincerly ropey Instincts and its various iterations, so I will remain optimistic but maintain cynicism until I can actually try the game for myself.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Feb 2008 23:47:51 12,740 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, looks nice. I can't help but notice how unrealistic the branches look when they're shot off. There's also no rain drops on the gun or hand but that's probably way too picky!
  • barchetta 30 Apr 2008 21:41:45 1,325 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Couple of new screenshots on TeamXbox:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16378/Far-Cry-2-Let-There-Be-Light-Screenshots/

2nd shot looks especially nice!
  • Scimarad 7 May 2008 18:52:03 8,537 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was that music from Beyond Good and Evil or am I just going mad?
  • Xerx3s 7 May 2008 19:03:20 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:

Except the Malaria you contract at the start of the game, that transforms you into a bile spewing monster.

I would pay good money to see this.
  • SomaticSense 7 May 2008 20:14:00 8,175 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    New video up

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6432_en.html

well worth a watch.

It's looking really good. Fall '08 seems a bit soon for such an ambitious game though (obviously depending on when production started, but it can't have been more than a couple of year ago), and with Ubis QA being so crap recently and their tendancy to rush things out before they're ready, I'm a bit concerned.

If they live up to the promises regarding the game world, make sure the basic FPS mechanics such as the controls and other gamplay features are sound (HUGELY important this, and something a lot more devs should take note of), and generally spend as much time polishing the game up to as high a standard as possible, this could be an absolute stunner.
  • Physically_Insane 20 Jul 2008 13:20:14 8,774 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome, just awesome.
  • Micro_Explosion 20 Jul 2008 15:15:39 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CoD4 was very good in terms of the linear style of FPS (like Half Life) but you're right about this looking more interesting in what it'll allow you to do. Whether it'll be able to tell a story as effectively is different.

That clip with the AI helping each other instead of getting shot, bending over a bit then running around as normal is the sort of thing that could help make this great. Hopefully the rest of it matches that.

It's currently down for the end of October.
  • Page

of 56 First / Last

Previous