of 224 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 12 Jan 2018 11:04:51 16,880 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A fox touched me inappropriately as a child :(
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:07:27 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thing is, why canít the posh country types just call in the exterminators like we do for other pests? Itís the pomp, savageness, ridiculousness and bizarreness of fox hunting that makes people think they are twats. Itís so over over the top. I donít put my ceremonial robes, dame Edna glasses and glitter hat on like an inbred fool when I deal with the flying ants.

I think most people understand that the foxes population needs controlling a little bit, itís what that Ďcontrollingí entails exactly is where we disagree on.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Jan 2018 11:07:40 16,880 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh good, a new page.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-42609353?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Chinese dating apps populated by robots!
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Jan 2018 11:11:04 2,473 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ingram85 Yes, there are humane ways to cull animals. Being ripped to pieces by dogs isn't humane. There's no argument for it, I agree with definitely not Mowgli on that.

To say it isn't political isn't true though (especially when you couple it with comments about Roguey being a 'hateful Tory' or something similar). It's been one of the most contentious political debates in the country for years because it basically boils down to rural/urban life, rich/poor, the right wing press owned by people with mansions in Bucks. You couldn't separate the politics from it if you tried.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Jan 2018 11:15:22 671 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Ingram85 wrote:
    Thing is, why canít the posh country types just call in the exterminators like we do for other pests? Itís the pomp, savageness, ridiculousness and bizarreness of fox hunting that makes people think they are twats. Itís so over over the top. I donít put my ceremonial robes, dame Edna glasses and glitter hat on like an inbred fool when I deal with the flying ants.

I think most people understand that the foxes population needs controlling a little bit, itís what that Ďcontrollingí entails exactly is where we disagree on.
    Because its part of the pageantry of the the occasion. It also generates a huge amount of money and employment for all involved. Whilst the posh country types are the easy target twats there are a huge number of caterers, stables, grooms man, saddlers, tailors, hounds man, game keepers and what not who work all year round supporting hunts.

It's the same with horse racing its pretty barbaric to stick a midget on a horse, hit it with a whip and force it jump over fences which may break its legs for our own amusement. But its a great day out at the GGs and lots of people make money off it.
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:16:39 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can though. Yes of course the landed gentry and country folk are more likely to be Tory/UKIP but itís not 100% across the board. In fact Iíd wager itís less than you think, id hazard that a a lot of farmers are labour/green types.

The daftness of pomp and ceremony is just tradition, not politics. Just keep fox hunting illegal and if you have a problem with foxes call in an exterminator. Itís bizzarre that this isnít even the norm.
  • Mfolf 12 Jan 2018 11:17:48 1,793 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    @Ingram85 Yes, there are humane ways to cull animals. Being ripped to pieces by dogs isn't humane. There's no argument for it, I agree with definitely not Mowgli on that.

To say it isn't political isn't true though (especially when you couple it with comments about Roguey being a 'hateful Tory' or something similar). It's been one of the most contentious political debates in the country for years because it basically boils down to rural/urban life, rich/poor, the right wing press owned by people with mansions in Bucks. You couldn't separate the politics from it if you tried.
    Fair enough, itís something thatís so deeply repugnant to me that I struggle to treat it as within the realm of opinion or political standpoints. Like I struggle to see severe racists/sexists as people with differing political opinions, itís just so repugnant to me that itís just them being a cunt. Not being someone with a different opinion. But every time I post his little fan club get all pissy and itís getting boring now so Iím done.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 11:18:27 11,914 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Horse racing is a million miles away from ripping an animal apart with dogs.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jan 2018 11:19:41 4,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think we're all skirting around the elephant in the room here. Is Roguey allowed to put a tag next to his username that 'claims' he was the most generous forumite last year who was generous on the forum because some super busy mentalist, who totally volunteers and stuff, has a difference of opinion about an unrelated matter?

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:20:23 12-01-2018
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:19:42 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    Ingram85 wrote:

Because its part of the pageantry of the the occasion. It also generates a huge amount of money and employment for all involved. Whilst the posh country types are the easy target twats there are a huge number of caterers, stables, grooms man, saddlers, tailors, hounds man, game keepers and what not who work all year round supporting hunts.

It's the same with horse racing its pretty barbaric to stick a midget on a horse, hit it with a whip and force it jump over fences which may break its legs for our own amusement. But its a great day out at the GGs and lots of people make money off it.
    Fair enough but do all that to catch the foxes then hand them over to professionals who can kill them humanely and with some sense of civility instead of being shredded to bits in the most vicious and painful way imaginable. Fair?
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Jan 2018 11:21:34 671 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Fair enough but how is trapping, gassing and shooting more humane.

Have any of you actually seen fox exterminators at work?
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:25:04 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair enough but how is trapping, gassing and shooting more humane.

Have any of you actually seen fox exterminators at work?
    How is sedating and dispatching more humane than being ripped apart? Iím not sure I follow.

Edited by Ingram85 at 11:29:13 12-01-2018
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Jan 2018 11:26:00 2,473 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Would you rather be shot in the head or chased and hunted and then ripped apart by a pack of dogs?

The latter!
  • LittleSparra 12 Jan 2018 11:27:34 7,363 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Playing the cheeky advocate oi oi here, but those jobs exist largely because of horses and land ownership, not foxes - not all, but most.

Edited by LittleSparra at 11:28:08 12-01-2018
  • Mfolf 12 Jan 2018 11:32:08 1,793 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I think we're all skirting around the elephant in the room here. Is Roguey allowed to put a tag next to his username that 'claims' he was the most generous forumite last year who was generous on the forum because some super busy mentalist, who totally volunteers and stuff, has a difference of opinion about an unrelated matter?
    You are an exhaustingly dull twat.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Jan 2018 11:33:02 671 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Do you think they sedate foxes before they kill them?

Do I have a chance of escape if I'm chased?
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jan 2018 11:35:19 4,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Guess we have a new forum award category.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 11:36:48 2,433 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All this fuss and I never said I supported or approved of foxhunting. I ever said some very rude words about the people who do it. What I said basically boils down to:

1) It's an issue I struggle to care about one way or the other (probably because I grew up somewhere semi-rural, which makes people a bit less sentimental about animals).

2) In rural areas, foxes are a pest species that need to be killed sometimes or they can destroy people's livelihoods.

3) A free Parliamentary vote on repealing the fox hunting ban was an empty gesture, because since the 2010 election, there has been a very clear majority of MPs across the parties opposed to fox hunting. So the ban's staying even with a free vote. It could only be overturned by a Government with a reasonable majority bringing a whipped vote on the issue (and even that would be vulnerable to rebellions).

As further info on that last point, a mid-2017 survey of MPs found that, excluding the SNP (who by convention wouldn't vote, though if they chose to do so would all oppose it), 293 MPs would vote to keep the ban, vs 254 who would vote to repeal it. So not even particularly close. Those in favour of repeal are actually more split across the parties than you might imagine. Even if you assumed full application of English Votes for English Laws rules, however (which would exclude all Scottish MPs from voting), there was still a clear majority against repeal.

A free vote to keep the ban could even have the effect of increasing its perceived legitimacy. Some of the Parliamentary tactics which were applied to bring it in were unconventional (though not illegitimate), which has sometimes been used as an argument against it.

Edit: Worth noting that among Parliamentarians, age has at least as large a correlation as party with stance on the issue. So chances are that regardless of how future elections play out, the Parliamentary majority in favour of the ban will continue to grow.

Edited by Rogueywon at 11:38:28 12-01-2018
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Jan 2018 11:37:47 671 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    LittleSparra wrote:
    Playing the cheeky advocate oi oi here, but those jobs exist largely because of horses and land ownership, not foxes - not all, but most.
    They go hand in hand would they maintain such a large stable if they didn't have hunts. Would you require hound masters? Would you make such an investment in the upkeep in the land?

I admit i'm biased on this issue as my mum's side of the family are gamekeepers and county folk so have been around hunting all my life.

One of my earliest memories is going poaching with my grand dad with pins and peas.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Jan 2018 11:39:40 2,473 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago

I'll admit I don't know, so as you've said you're form a rural background, how do fox exterminators (not hunts) kill them?
  • LittleSparra 12 Jan 2018 11:42:17 7,363 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LittleSparra wrote:
    They go hand in hand would they maintain such a large stable if they didn't have hunts. Would you require hound masters? Would you make such an investment in the upkeep in the land?

I admit i'm biased on this issue as my mum's side of the family are gamekeepers and county folk so have been around hunting all my life.

One of my earliest memories is going poaching with my grand dad with pins and peas.
    Yes, I know. My point is that it's not zero sum: there would be job l, animal osses, but are there not other ways of using those resources and skills? On that same land? There are 'bloodless' hunts already, right?

Edited by LittleSparra at 11:42:40 12-01-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 11:44:36 11,914 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:

I'll admit I don't know, so as you've said you're form a rural background, how do fox exterminators (not hunts) kill them?
    I believe its with a fire bellows into the anus which is pumped until explosion.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Jan 2018 11:46:54 2,473 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:

I believe its with a fire bellows into the anus which is pumped until explosion.
    Sounds like Mr Chinnery from the League of Gentlemen
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:49:03 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Well Iíd also question how they did it then as much as the fox hunters. Inhumane is inhumane whether you wear red gowns and black hats and enjoy bloodlust or drive a van with ĎDave the fox killerí on its side and cause distress. Doing something incorrectly can be done in a variety of ways and should be changed. It doesnít negate the fact that he way fox hunting kills a fox is disturbingly wrong.
  • thelzdking 12 Jan 2018 11:55:09 6,621 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dave the Fox Exterminator is doing a job, whereas the hunters do it for fun. There's a moral problem right there.

Of course Dave could be a serial killer in training, but you get the point.
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:58:17 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Dave the Fox Exterminator is doing a job, whereas the hunters do it for fun. There's a moral problem right there.

True but fruitlivesagain is right, as much as I find fox hunting abhorrent, it doesnít mean the exterminator canít do things the right way either.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jan 2018 11:59:13 4,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:

That's a proper shit villain name.
  • LittleSparra 12 Jan 2018 11:59:35 7,363 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One of the worst arguments I ever had at uni, in terms of facedesk moments, was about fox hunting. Some idiot at a party (not me!!!!) was getting right het up about it being banned, and they asked what I thought. I said I didn't like fox hunting, and gave a few reasons. The retort was 'yeah but you're from the city'. Nope, country born and bred.

Not that whatfruit is like that, it just reminded me.

That person also then said feminism was rubbish because men and women are different.

• challenge_hanukkah 12 Jan 2018 12:01:55 5,592 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's no way Furtive_Pygmy made it to university.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Jan 2018 12:01:55 5,592 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 224 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.