International 'nutter runs amok' shootings thread (inspired by America) Page 50

• Page

of 66 First / Last

• Whizzo 21 Dec 2012 18:19:48 43,115 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Prevention is better than cure, make sure the "bad" guys don't have a gun in the first place.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Commander-Keen 21 Dec 2012 18:21:27 808 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it does. It also on the proper news wires now as well. Reuters has it here.
  • Ged42 21 Dec 2012 18:23:05 7,727 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Won't having guns in school just mean that the students have a greater access to guns for spur of the moment massacres. Without the need to go home and rummage in their parents stockpile, by which point they've probably cooled down.
  • Commander-Keen 21 Dec 2012 18:24:54 808 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Prevention is better than cure, make sure the "bad" guys don't have a gun in the first place.
    Haven't you heard Whizzo? The only way to stop a ninja, IS WITH A NINJA! The only way to fight fire, IS WITH MORE FIRE! The only way to stop mental illness, IS WITH MORE... etc.

It's such a puerile argument that it beggars belief that it has any sort of traction at all.

Like I said earlier in this thread though, I'm somewhat past the rage (mostly, not totally) and through to acceptance. I despair, but if a democratic country decides it's cool with kinder-garden massacres as a trade off for the right to bear arms, then it's kind of none of our business...
  • boo 21 Dec 2012 18:25:53 11,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That staggeringly crass statement, in full.

Just Another Lego Blog

• stryker1121 21 Dec 2012 18:27:17 691 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Sadly, I think the NRA has hit on a winning approach to the problem. An American solution to an American problem. I see them getting a lot of support for it, leaving a lot of other people utterly baffled.
    Not sure what you mean by this exactly, but the majority of Americans do not think in such stark "good vs. evil" terms. American schools are not going to start strapping school teachers...although i would not opposed to having armed, trained security at schools.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Dec 2012 18:32:30 38,130 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's like that eagle trying to snatch the toddler the other day. If the toddler had his own eagle it would have never happened.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Scurrminator 21 Dec 2012 18:32:41 8,410 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Sadly, I think the NRA has hit on a winning approach to the problem. An American solution to an American problem. I see them getting a lot of support for it, leaving a lot of other people utterly baffled.
    Not sure what you mean by this exactly, but the majority of Americans do not think in such stark "good vs. evil" terms. American schools are not going to start strapping school teachers...although i would not opposed to having armed, trained security at schools.
    Do you not think ARMED GUARDS IN SCHOOLS is totally fucked up!? Christ on a bike

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Blaizefm 21 Dec 2012 18:34:29 232 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    It's like that eagle trying to snatch the toddler the other day. If the toddler had his own eagle it would have never happened.
    That was a fake, but we get your point.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Dec 2012 18:35:52 38,130 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll tell you what though, that transcript is chilling to read. They're going for the fear vote.

The only way to answer that question is to face up to the truth.
    Politicians pass laws for Gun-Free School Zones. They issue press
    releases bragging about them. They post signs advertising them.

And in so doing, they tell every insane killer in America that schools
    are their safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk.
    How have our nation's priorities gotten so far out of order? Think
    about it. We care about our money, so we protect our banks with
    armed guards. American airports, office buildings, power plants,
    courthouses even sports stadiums are all protected by armed
    security.

We care about the President, so we protect him with armed Secret
    Service agents. Members of Congress work in offices surrounded by
    armed Capitol Police officers.

Yet when it comes to the most beloved, innocent and vulnerable
    members of the American family our children we as a society
    leave them utterly defenseless, and the monsters and predators of this
    world know it and exploit it. That must change now!

The truth is that our society is populated by an unknown number of
    genuine monsters people so deranged, so evil, so possessed by
    voices and driven by demons that no sane person can possibly ever
    comprehend them. They walk among us every day. And does anybody
    really believe that the next Adam Lanza isn't planning his attack on a
    school he's already identified at this very moment?

How many more copycats are waiting in the wings for their moment of
    fame from a national media machine that rewards them with the
    wall-to-wall attention and sense of identity that they crave while
    provoking others to try to make their mark?
    Absolute scumbags. This actually makes me angry.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Dec 2012 18:37:18 38,130 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blaizefm wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    That was a fake, but we get your point.
    Yes thank you. Cpt Obvious to the rescue :)

• Deleted user 21 December 2012 18:38:57
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    The National Eagle Association is already preparing a statement in full.
  • Commander-Keen 21 Dec 2012 18:40:10 808 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Absolute scumbags. This actually makes me angry.
    This. I'm appalled. And I really should know better, but it's the lowest of the low. To quote Bob Dylan from Masters of War:

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins.

Aaaaand exhale. I'm gittin me a beer and then maybe I'll shoot some things on ME3. Or Mortal Kombat.

Wait no guns on that one...

Edited by Commander Keen at 18:41:01 21-12-2012
  • SparkyMarky81 21 Dec 2012 18:52:58 565 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Commander Keen I agree with everything you've said there. Good post.

I was working and am too lazy to fully flesh out my arguments but you get my point and I get yours!
  • SparkyMarky81 21 Dec 2012 19:06:12 565 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrTomFTW

It was by politicians and media spreading this kind of fear that Mrs Lanza was convinced of the need to start prepping and arming herself. Ended up being kind of counter intuitive to her survival.

These idiots don't consider that.

They also mention Adam Lanza was deranged and they are right. The answer, however isn't to shoot the deranged members of society but to try and help them and support them before they get to breaking point.

When these guys advocate violence to solve a problem, why are they so horrified when a citizen chooses to solve their problems with violence too?

Edited by SparkyMarky81 at 19:29:52 21-12-2012
  • superdelphinus 21 Dec 2012 19:09:42 8,059 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe the radical east are right in some ways...
  • Deleted user 21 December 2012 20:25:36
    have to say though, social media in the last year or so - has had in the uk at least, quite a big impact on politics and media. Twitter is ablaze at the moment with anti NRA stuff, they could face some difficult questions, and problems in the coming weeks. I hope so.
  • stryker1121 21 Dec 2012 20:39:36 691 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    stryker1121 wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Do you not think ARMED GUARDS IN SCHOOLS is totally fucked up!? Christ on a bike
    Is the idea of it totally fucked up, or the perceived necessity? We had a guard at my high school in the early 90s (yeah i'm old) although he was not armed, more like a big, mean SOB who hung around to stop fights and so forth.

The need for armed guards in an elementary school is certainly a screwed up proposition, and a deft maneuver by the NRA to keep talk of gun restrictions out of top-mind. However, I'm not some nut who thinks a trained, armed guard in a school will lead to a police state or some such. But if a guard can be a deterrent to the next crazy fuckhead who comes along, then I'm open to the idea.

EDIT: Mind you, armed guards are just a bandage to the overall problem. Stricter gun laws and easier access to mental health care are the ultimate cures to what's inflicting my country.

Edited by stryker1121 at 20:42:54 21-12-2012
  • Psychotext 21 Dec 2012 21:04:20 54,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guard would get shot in the face before he'd even had a chance to take the safety off. Total sitting duck.
  • MrDigital 21 Dec 2012 22:33:26 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it's not really a solution. The mind of a shooter would go from "kill those intended followed by myself" to "kill the guard when he is not expecting it and then follow usual instructions".

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Bremenacht 21 Dec 2012 22:37:37 18,190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From the BBC story:

Mr LaPierre called for a national database of the mentally ill and blamed violent video games and films for portraying murder as a "way of life".
    We're familiar with the 'blame videogames' line, but have a db of the mentally ill??! Are these guys the new Nazis?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Dec 2012 22:56:49 38,130 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They already have a database of the mentally ill. It's called the NRA.

• Psychotext 22 Dec 2012 13:11:47 54,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was just reading that Columbine and Virgina Tech both had an armed police officer (VT had an entire pseudo SWAT team) on site at the time of the massacres. That worked out really well didn't it.
  • Benno 22 Dec 2012 13:45:06 9,883 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An unprepared security guard with a handgun is no match for a pyscho in full body armor and an assault rifle, who has spent days, weeks, potentially months planning his/her attack
  • cubbymoore 22 Dec 2012 15:52:02 36,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Must have been mentioned before in this thread but when a gunman shot Gabby Gifford and several others many bystanders were carrying handguns but were hesitant to use them for fear of being mistaken for another attacker. So yeah, guns really do help.
  • stryker1121 22 Dec 2012 17:35:15 691 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I was just reading that Columbine and Virgina Tech both had an armed police officer (VT had an entire pseudo SWAT team) on site at the time of the massacres. That worked out really well didn't it.
    As I said I could act more as a deterrent than anything, although it's by no means foolproof or a real, long-lasting solution. If you have guns at schools, why not have them at playgrounds, day-care centers, etc? I recognize there's a slippery slope here, I just don't know what a "fast" answer is to this problem. There probably isn't one, despite what the NRA believes.
  • HandsomeCrab 22 Dec 2012 17:42:51 278 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

GT: carlmadin

• Lamb 22 Dec 2012 18:08:37 474 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    :(

The flaw in the NRAs argument is if everybodies got a gun how do you tell who started it? Bad guy shows up, good guy shows up, another good guy shows up who does he target?
  • Page

of 66 First / Last