Just quit smoking... Page 3

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• wuztrino 3 Jan 2008 11:48:29 131 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I might have to try the sip of water thing, i'm proper scratching for a cigarette, although i've found the best thing to do is not to take any money to work and then I can't buy any anyway.
  • pistol 3 Jan 2008 11:54:34 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    NarcissusRedux wrote:
    Is retaining the ability to surmount a small flight of stairs important to you? Do you want to be diagnosed with lung cancer in your mid-40's which, even if swiftly treated, will give you a mere 14% chance of remaining alive for five years? Yep, despite all our wonderful medical science, 86% of lung cancer "victims" die within 60 months of their diagnosis.
    I smoke, and I'd wager I'm fitter than you. Not all of us have trouble breathing you know... I can still cycle all day without stopping and while I haven't done any marathons in a while (dodgy knee) I doubt it would be an issue either. Oh, and bad news, you have a 1/3 chance of developing cancer if you smoke or not.

Good luck with your quitting though SA. Don't let dickheads like NarcissusRedux get to you.

How much and how often do you smoke?
  • pistol 3 Jan 2008 11:56:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    NarcissusRedux wrote:
    Is retaining the ability to surmount a small flight of stairs important to you? Do you want to be diagnosed with lung cancer in your mid-40's which, even if swiftly treated, will give you a mere 14% chance of remaining alive for five years? Yep, despite all our wonderful medical science, 86% of lung cancer "victims" die within 60 months of their diagnosis.
    I smoke, and I'd wager I'm fitter than you. Not all of us have trouble breathing you know... I can still cycle all day without stopping and while I haven't done any marathons in a while (dodgy knee) I doubt it would be an issue either. Oh, and bad news, you have a 1/3 chance of developing cancer if you smoke or not.

Good luck with your quitting though SA. Don't let dickheads like NarcissusRedux get to you.

I really don't understand how someone who is into fitness can smoke. I just don't get it..?

Sorry if that sounds preachy..

• rudedudejude 3 Jan 2008 11:56:58 2,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Looks like I gave up the wrong thing.
    Try giving up work then and you won't have any money for fags :)

I gave up three years ago now and it's the best thing I ever did. Just went cold turkey at new year and didn't look back. it's not easy, but the cravings come in waves, so once you're over one set you can settle down again.

One tip I got told was to have a sip of water whenever you get a craving. Seemed to work ok for me :)

Cold Turkey on work you say? Damn that sounds nice.

/dreams of being back in bed
  • pistol 3 Jan 2008 11:59:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Psychotext does make me laugh. He has an excuse / "reasoned argument" for taking part in all lifes vices as if anyone is silly to question the long term effects on any of them. He is immune, he is superman, isn't he?!
    He can run marathons, and yet he can smoke non stop, and is fitter than anyone else around. He doesnt need to quit. And people get cancer whether they smoke or not so why not just smoke!
    Yeah... because that's exactly how I think. Obviously smoking is bad for you, but that doesn't mean everyone who smokes gets cancer or ends up not being able to breathe etc etc. It's stupid to make generalisations like that.

For the record I think everyone should give up smoking... but that doesn't mean I agree with people being up their own ass toward smokers either. Especially giving shit to someone who's actually trying to quit.

So are you trying to quit?
  • Razz 3 Jan 2008 12:39:49 61,095 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just realised that I can never give up the weed. It turns me into a bad person. :( Not the mood swings just the whole becoming a boring overly PC wanker. :/ I liek being silly, it defines me. All the emo/crazy antics I got up to last year on the forum were all due to attempts to quit the weed, maybe I should just smoke it, I haven't had any for about a week now though, but that's normal for me I usually have a smoke every 2 weeks or so. Bah. I don;t what to do. Maybe I shuold seek professional advice or check into one of those drug rehab places. :/ I need to change, I can't depend on this shit for the rest of my life.

Or maybe I'm just feeling a bit emo cause I returned to work today. >:,(

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• sickpuppysoftware 3 Jan 2008 13:00:06 1,324 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    One tip I got told was to have a sip of water whenever you get a craving. Seemed to work ok for me :)
    I'd also heard that taking a deep breath works too.

Don't try both at the same time. You don't want to go down in history as drowning in a glass of water.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• ShogunAssassin 5 Jan 2008 16:25:14 471 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, haven't had a smoke for over a month now, and itīs getting easier... although when a wave of craving hits me, it can be really frustrating, especially when someone or something is pissing me off. My solution has been to chew (regular) gum whenever I get the craving. It works good, as it keeps my mouth occupied, while replacing the habit with something else...

/pats self on back
  • BlackDeath 5 Jan 2008 19:03:20 38 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I haven't smoked for a couple of days due to a bad cold, and there's a smoking ban here now in restaurants, pubs, bars, etc. since January 1. Might as well quit.

Unclelou, are you in the states? If so, which state? :p

-BD
  • BlackDeath 5 Jan 2008 19:05:59 38 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    NarcissusRedux wrote:

I really don't understand how someone who is into fitness can smoke. I just don't get it..?

Sorry if that sounds preachy..

It's actually quite doable. When I was smoking (two months smoke free now yey!), I was still able to jog a mile in under 6 minutes pretty easily. I just had to make sure I don't smoke an hour or so before I wanted to exercise. I didnt' think it was that weird... /shrugs

-BD
  • Khanivor 5 Jan 2008 19:07:04 40,555 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Colds seriously impede my desire to smoke fags. Can go days without even wanting to be near one.

I think I'm gonna do another one of my half-arsed quitting jobs this year. No smoking unless I'm drinking. Won't even smoke in spliffs this time as I haven't seen a bit of hash since I moved.
  • deem 11 Jan 2008 11:09:49 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Giving up smoking is easy. You just have to stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and setting fire to them.

It's 2 years down the line that it gets tricky.
  • BanjoMan 11 Jan 2008 11:11:47 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deem wrote:
    I found the first 6 months the hardest. Didn't succumb, but the cravings were bad. Two and a half years on, and everything's cool and shmoove.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• deem 11 Jan 2008 11:14:50 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    deem wrote:
    I found the first 6 months the hardest. Didn't succumb, but the cravings were bad. Two and a half years on, and everything's cool and shmoove.

But all of a sudden it's easy to slip.

I've had 2 or 3 fags in the last month or two, and I've seen friends do the same thing - think that they've well and truly stopped, and can have the odd puff on somebody elses between pubs/on the way to the tube etc, and before you know it...

It doesn't help that after this long, it tastes just like it did at first - ie amazing.
  • Timmy 11 Jan 2008 11:17:12 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That bloke on Super Size Me was saying that the cravings go away after 3 days. Is that true?
  • BanjoMan 11 Jan 2008 11:17:34 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're making me want a fucking cig, you cunt. (@deem)

• deem 11 Jan 2008 11:23:07 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I gave up fags and weed when my wife got pregnant 2 and a half years ago - I smoked between 40 and 50 fags a day, and went to bed stoned every night (often after wiping sid nice's arse at PES).

My wife went away a couple of months ago, with our son, and one night I decided to sit in the garden, listen to Galliano and have a joint.

Fuck me, it was amazing. :)

• BanjoMan 11 Jan 2008 11:26:27 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bet. Apart from the Galliano bit.

I used to love smoking a big fatty after work. I probably miss that more than cigs. I've tried making skunk vodka, and home-baking, but it's just not the same.

Still, since giving up ganj I've discovered fine bourbon.

@Timmy: no, the cravings carry on for months, but the first few days are the worst. My advice is get some patches but cut them in half. The chemist'll try to sell you tons of the things, but just buy one pack. And every time you get a craving do some stretching or go for a walk - and drink a ton of water to flush it all out.

• L_Franko Moderator 22 Apr 2010 10:51:38 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Three days and clawing at the walls! Had my first drink last night after giving up and it was quite a test. Almost had one foot out the door to go buy some but just managed to hold off.
    Luckly GF is stopping with me as well so I can look to her when I feel a moment of weakness as she has a stronger will than me.

Started coughing my lungs up and feel as though a cold might be setting in but i've heard this is not overly uncommon. Still all that in only three days!
  • cianchristopher 22 Apr 2010 11:33:04 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just stuff your face with pringles/peanuts/crisps/whatever.

You'll pile on the weight, but you'll be smoke free...

I gave up in May 2006, haven't had a puff since then, but have manged to gain about 3 stone which I've never been able to lose...
  • BinaryBob101 22 Apr 2010 11:36:14 22,664 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I stopped two weeks ago today, in favour of e-cigs. Feel bloody brilliant and haven't suffered at all as I'm still getting a regular dose of nicotine. If you're struggling Franco you could consider these as a much healthier alternative, to you and all others around you.

Brilliant things.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• L_Franko Moderator 22 Apr 2010 11:53:41 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Noticed there is a thread for these e-cigs so will clue myself up on them.

I have a bit of a fear about putting on weight as I have heard it to be very common after quiting the smokes.
  • JoeBlade 22 Apr 2010 11:54:52 2,524 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Consider nicotine gum Franko, helped me loads that. The first few weeks/months are the hardest and the gum helped me take the edge off during that period (just under three months for me). I've now been off cigarettes for a year.

I suppose e-cigs would work as well although you risk trading one addiction for another (albeit a far less harmful one) If the dependence isn't an issue while health is that's probably the easiest option however.

And keep one golden rule in mind: you can't have "just one cig"; either you quit for good or you just start again, there's really no middle ground.
  • BinaryBob101 22 Apr 2010 12:01:12 22,664 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's not really much of a health issue when considering being addiscted to nicotine. It's the 5000 chemicals, tar and tobacco that cause major problems, not the drug itself. E-cigs work on propylene glycol (which actually wards off flu!), nicotine and a flavouring of your choice. Apparently, they have carcinogens than a patch. A starter kit comes to about Ģ30. I'm now saving around Ģ250 per month too, which is nice.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• superflyninja 22 Apr 2010 12:01:38 462 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Today three weeks ago I stopped smoking! :D Gonna get back into fitness, my bike shud be arriving soon and then back to martial arts classes. The extra money from not smoking is fantastic....

Put away those firey biscuits

• L_Franko Moderator 22 Apr 2010 12:04:58 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I shall have a big test tomorrow night as i'm off to a beer festival and pretty much everyone i'll be with smoke. GF will be there and she knows not to give into me like the friends would so that is a bit of a comfort.

• SG 22 Apr 2010 12:06:01 1,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've pretty much given up on life after failing uni over winter due to mass Seasonal Affected Disorder Depression.

After getting up half an hour ago this morning I've had a line, poured a beer and am on my second fag and will probably top myself when the cash runs out.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• SG 22 Apr 2010 12:16:46 1,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3rd fag, 2nd beer.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• cianchristopher 22 Apr 2010 12:22:07 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like you're having a great day so far, keep it up!
  • SG 22 Apr 2010 12:25:30 1,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I don't see the point in doing much else.

• Page

of 21 First / Last