Gamespot's Jeff Gerstmann fired over Kane and Lynch review (Eidos forums meltdown)

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous
  • kissthestick 30 Nov 2007 05:01:38 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/gamespot-editor-fired-over-kane--lynch-review-328244.php

We've heard an unsettling rumor today from an anonymous tipster that longtime game reviewer Jeff Gerstmann from Gamespot has been let go. That wouldn't necessarily be newsworthy, but the conditions under which he was allegedly dismissed were. According to the source, Gerstmann was fired "on the spot" due to advertiser pressure for his review of Eidos' Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. A visit to Gamespot shows that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game has taken over the site very prominently, with backgrounds and multiple banner ads all pitching Kane & Lynch. Allegedly, publisher Eidos "took issue with the review and threatened to pull its ad campaign."

Jeff's review was certainly less than glowing. He assigned the game a 6.0, otherwise known as "Fair" on the Gamespot scale. The game is currently enjoying a Metacritic score in the 65 to 69 range, which the site describes as "mixed or average reviews." According to our tipster, it wasn't necessarily the score that was reason for Gerstmann's rumored axing, but the "tone" of the review.

Gerstmann has been no stranger to controversial reviews, as his scores of 10 for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and 8.8 for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had sensitive internet users up in arms. It's now possible that many bitter fanboys may have had their wishes for his firing granted.

As our tipster points out, if the rumor is true, it could point to a distressing precedent at Gamespot and parent company CNet. "As writers of what is supposed to be objective content, this is our worst nightmare coming to life," wrote the tipster.

Our efforts to confirm the story with Gamespot hasn't proved successful. Our current requests with PR, Gerstmann and other CNet contacts have either gone unanswered or yielded a "no comment."

lmao, wow
    Eidos forums:
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

his video review for those who havent seen it
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5FuJ81sDR2o
  • spindizzy 30 Nov 2007 05:21:16 6,610 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @disc Eh? Surely it's possible that PA got a heads-up long before the rest of us heard about it? Not sure what you're suggesting TBH (or why PA are wankers).

Back to the story - pretty shocking if true, and probably going to backfire on Eidos (and certainly on Gamespot).
  • Fernando 30 Nov 2007 05:28:56 636 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    what a god damn shame it had to come down to this, i hope Eidos and CNet get shitted on hard for this
  • Onny 30 Nov 2007 06:33:23 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slightly off-topic, but Christ!

"Shit! They've allegedly got someone fired from a website we like! Let's go and spam their forum, that'll learn em!"

Hehehe.
  • urban 30 Nov 2007 06:36:09 11,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i have to agree with his kane and lynch review though.
  • Fernando 30 Nov 2007 06:36:38 636 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gone

looks like he's leaving after the Jeff incident
  • Aretak 30 Nov 2007 07:50:22 10,376 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hardly surprising. The ad campaign they're running for the game now is huge, and I'm sure they'd rather fire one writer than lose all that lovely money. I'd always thought of GameSpot as a more trustworthy source of reviews than, say, IGN though, but I guess this proves that their scores are up for sale as much as IGN's allegedly are.

If this does turn out to be true, I certainly won't be visiting their site again.
  • AwesomeWells 30 Nov 2007 08:17:59 468 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So that's why he wasn't on the Hotspot this week. A very worrying development if this turns out to be true.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2007 08:19:07
    Aretak wrote:

If this does turn out to be true, I certainly won't be visiting their site again.
    Indeed - isn't this basically the absolute worst thing a games review site could POSSIBLY do to tarnish their own reputation as an unbiased, objective reviews source?
  • Deleted user 30 November 2007 08:20:11
    Fernando wrote:
    Gone

I don't get it, what have all those shoe boxes got to do with anything?
  • sam_spade 30 Nov 2007 08:24:40 15,745 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Fernando wrote:
    Gone

I don't get it, what have all those shoe boxes got to do with anything?

That's his stuff from his desk.
  • Whizzo 30 Nov 2007 08:28:33 43,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems like rather odd boxes to use to pack up your gear.

One thing that's come out from Gerstmann's possible firing is that he scored "State of Emergency" 8.5, I'm surprised he wasn't sacked sooner.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 30 November 2007 08:30:34
    I have to say I don't keep up with or give much credence to ANY reviews from ANY other sites than EG (part laziness, part cynicism), but 8.8 for Zelda:TP sounds perfectly reasonably to me. 10 for any Tony Hawk game sounds somewhat ridiculous though. Either way, I'd be interested to see just how Gamespot expect to get away with this and maintain any credibility whatsoever.
  • MetalDog 30 Nov 2007 08:33:49 23,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The only chance they have of maintaining credibility is to fire someone else and say 'It was his decision to fire Jeff'. Even then, they'd come away limping and smelling of napalm.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• LeD 30 Nov 2007 08:34:46 6,314 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's totally out of order. I read and watched quite a few of the guy's reviews, and I have to say I found his opinion to match mine on many occasions.

"Hey this guy is doing his job, advising customers to stay away from our crap product, let's get him fired."
  • Hunam 30 Nov 2007 08:34:58 20,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    I have to say I don't keep up with or give much credence to ANY reviews from ANY other sites than EG (part laziness, part cynicism), but 8.8 for Zelda:TP sounds perfectly reasonably to me. 10 for any Tony Hawk game sounds somewhat ridiculous though. Either way, I'd be interested to see just how Gamespot expect to get away with this and maintain any credibility whatsoever.

He gave 10 for Tony Hawks 3 on the PS2, a game which actually was the closest to perfection a skating game ever got.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2007 08:36:51
    Hunam wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:

He gave 10 for Tony Hawks 3 on the PS2, a game which actually was the closest to perfection a skating game ever got.
    Ah right. Fair enough. Personally I was addicted to the second game, on the PS1, never played any after that.

Doesn't sound like a bad bloke, then.
  • Vroom 30 Nov 2007 08:40:52 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sad day for journalism. Jeff was sometimes controversial but always honest. Sad to see it come to this. He'll be missed from the hotspot and on the spot.

Wanna live in 'sunny' england Jeff, Job in EG?

:(

Vroom

• Blerk Moderator 30 Nov 2007 08:44:24 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At last! Internet game reviews finally reach the same level of journalistic integrity as the print media.
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Nov 2007 08:44:39 20,647 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Both disgusting and an extremely worrying. Integrity of reviews is the most vital components of any good videogame website, and its common practice that the team who write the reviews have absolutely no knowledge or input into the advertisement on the site. It’s not a reviewer’s job to worry about what the results of a negative review may be to the advertisement team, he shouldn’t even take that into consideration when dishing out a score.

Have they pulled the review or have they just fired him? Either way it’s a fucking disgrace and whatever short term money they are making from the adverts, they are now going to lose by long term visitor drops by people equally disgusted by their actions.
  • Vroom 30 Nov 2007 08:45:20 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If this does turns out to be true my gamespot subscription shall be cancelled with immediate effect.

Vroom

• Hunam 30 Nov 2007 08:45:20 20,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's not a bad guy, but hardly worth all this industry mourning.
  • Vroom 30 Nov 2007 08:46:21 4,644 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    He's not a bad guy, but hardly worth all this industry mourning.

Not mourning him in particular, just what it seems the games journalism world has come to.

Vroom

• krudster 30 Nov 2007 08:46:24 597 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worrying news for all readers and writers of online game reviews, tbh.

For the readers, it undermines confidence to see this sort of caper going on, for the writers (myself included) hearing a fellow games writer sacked for expressing a perfectly valid opinion is shocking.

As much as I stuck up for K&L in my review (and really enjoyed for what it did well), the game has a fair amount of problems that Jeff had every right to point out.
  • Aretak 30 Nov 2007 08:49:28 10,376 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    blackrocknopants (22 minutes ago)

Basically the only place on the net that's trustworthy, well designed AND a fun place to go is Eurogamer dot net...
    PLANET!
  • Pirotic Moderator 30 Nov 2007 08:50:55 20,647 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Search results for 'kayne and lynch'

ffs, have they also pulled the review? which was pretty much spot on and even lined up quite nicely with the average score on metacritic..

are they not even trying to cover it up? they are just going to blatantly sack him and pull the review to please the advertisers then just carry on as usual as if nothing has changed :p
  • Qbert2k 30 Nov 2007 08:51:55 246 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not surprised. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Whizzo 30 Nov 2007 08:53:34 43,352 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:ffs, have they also pulled the review?
    It's still there.

This space left intentionally blank.

• marilena 30 Nov 2007 08:54:25 8,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Absolutely shocking. I always thought Gamespot was a decent site and thought their reviews were balanced and informative, if ever so slightly dull.

The issue is not if over the course of his life this reviewer was right or wrong in his opinions. The issues is that he expressed his opinions, which is the only thing a reviewer can do, and was fired over it (well, if this turns out to be true). And that's just not acceptable.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Previous