Sky Broadband - worth it? Page 8

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• binky Moderator 12 Jul 2010 17:30:56 9,573 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone having issues this afternoon?
    My Sky broadband keeps flaking out for some reason.
  • Kay 11 Jul 2011 10:52:58 17,817 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Almost exactly a year to the last post...

I'm about to sign up to a Sky TV package, and thinking of chucking in the (apparently genuinely) unlimited broadband as well for the offer price - plus I get the Sky Anytime+ thingy too, from what I've read. Anything I should be aware of before I sign up? Currently with O2 broadband, who have been fine, but this'll be a couple quid cheaper every month.
  • L_Franko Moderator 11 Jul 2011 10:56:56 9,694 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My parents are with Sky broadband but for some reason after 6 or 7pm it just cuts out and they have had very little effort from Sky to try and find out why. It's not every evening from what they have told me but that is enough info for me not to want to move over to them.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Jul 2011 11:06:33 48,225 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are they on 'proper' Sky Broadband or their 'Connect' package? I used to be on Connect and it was bloody dreadful at peak times.

Since they unbundled my exchange I've moved on to the unlimited pack and it's been excellent. Very fast, properly unlimited, no downtime.
  • L_Franko Moderator 11 Jul 2011 11:09:41 9,694 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Are they on 'proper' Sky Broadband or their 'Connect' package? I used to be on Connect and it was bloody dreadful at peak times.

Since they unbundled my exchange I've moved on to the unlimited pack and it's been excellent. Very fast, properly unlimited, no downtime.

Actually that is a good question, I'll ask next time I pop over. Cheers mate.
  • crashVoodoo 11 Jul 2011 11:34:22 3,872 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

This

I'm on unbundled LLU sky goodness and its fast and reliable. I've downloaded tons of HD movies on sky anytime+ and properly whore the hell out of newsgroups.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• MrTomFTW Moderator 11 Jul 2011 11:40:20 37,808 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it really really is unlimited, and fast. Thank God too, the Steam sales would fuck me up otherwise. Plus I do make use of XBLA and Zune movies on my Xbox

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Googleboogle 11 Jul 2011 21:48:28 46 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    18.5meg for me and totally unlimited. I like my sky broadband.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2011 21:57:23
    Under 2 meg but unlimited for me. It's shit, but that's because they can only give you what the cables allow. Their customer service is actually pretty good as well.
  • Vortex808 11 Jul 2011 22:05:45 7,067 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Sky unlimited is great in my book. Been with them for about 3 years now for phone, telly etc. I get about 9meg connection all day, never tried to check later at night. The connection's also rock solid after having heaps of problems with lost broadband with our previous supplier (Tiscali).

The only beef I have is the netgear router we got supplied is not that great if you want to use wi-fi in a large-ish house for computer/consoles. We now use av-plugs for main computer/console, which are the best thing ever IMO.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2011 19:58:13
    Fuck me the supplied router is shit, swapped that out today and all is now well with the world.
  • Kay 9 Aug 2011 20:11:26 17,817 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's wrong with it? Seems fine for me, does its job.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2011 20:14:32
    Wireless is shit, WOL doesn't work, dyndns is a bit pants.
  • effinjamie 9 Aug 2011 20:16:45 882 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Fuck me the supplied router is shit, swapped that out today and all is now well with the world.
    What did you swap it out for?
    And did you have any problems?

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Deleted user 9 August 2011 20:19:05
    Just swapped it for old netgear, used the sky password generator for my login details

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/generate.cgi
  • RabidChild 26 Aug 2011 16:55:24 2,292 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gah, I didn't realise sky tied you to their router. The wifi signal is suddenly crapping out (out of warranty) so I just bought a new one. Went to get login details from the sky one and couldn't find them...

Crispy, did you have any trouble with using a different router? I read that some people were getting cut off for it.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Aug 2011 17:39:10 22,637 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why don't you just negotiate a new contract and get a new router that way?

It's what I did.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• RabidChild 26 Aug 2011 18:11:35 2,292 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I restarted a new contract in April and didn't get a new router.
  • DiSC0_JeRk 26 Aug 2011 22:07:51 131 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sky give free routers if yours goes tits up. They have to really as they tie you to their kit. Mine died a few weeks back, rang them up and got one a few days later in the post for no charge.
  • AlcohollicA 1 Oct 2011 03:32:04 2,355 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm thinking of moving from O2 to Sky. Hesitating a bit as I have no problems with O2 and I tend to download a lot. Cheaper though.

Only ever switched ISP's when moving home. Will there be downtime when switching? Even a couple days would probably put me off moving.
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2011 06:11:28 67,181 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shouldn't be too bad. Male sure you're in Sky's LLU network area though, their wholesale from BT is gash. Unbundled product is very good though. By going triple play, I saved about 30 quid a month. Still object to giving Murdoch so much of my cash though!
  • Deleted user 1 October 2011 09:24:04
    My broadband costs me 10 more than it should thanks to sky's "supplements" when you don't take out TV but on the whole it's still better value than most and the lack of limits/fair use is great when games from the PSN store and Steam regularly top 3GB
  • AlcohollicA 1 Oct 2011 09:48:26 2,355 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Shouldn't be too bad. Male sure you're in Sky's LLU network area though, their wholesale from BT is gash. Unbundled product is very good though. By going triple play, I saved about 30 quid a month. Still object to giving Murdoch so much of my cash though!

Yep. Defo LLU.

I think I'll sign up this morning then. 3 months free then 5.50 a month cheaper than O2. The O2 router has been playing up anyway.
  • kentmonkey 1 Oct 2011 09:54:00 20,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    O2 have turned to shit for me. My speed goes between 2.7mb (the max for my area is 3.2m) and 1.2 at peak times. That's on their LLU. Awful service now, and they've got the cheak to keep putting the price up.

I'm moving back to Sky next month. And like Dougs, I hate Murdoch.
  • AlcohollicA 1 Oct 2011 10:02:05 2,355 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never had any problems like that with O2.
  • AlcohollicA 20 Nov 2011 08:59:49 2,355 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I have moved to Sky Broadband.

They said I could experience slow speeds for the first 10 days. This period is over, the site says testing is complete and I am still getting crap speeds.

Current speedtest.net results are 0.11Mbps download speed. :|

Promised connection was between 5 and 11Mb, which was about what O2 provided me before.

Anyway, I've emailed them so will see what they say.
  • santashi 20 Nov 2011 11:25:18 5,095 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm staying with my aunt and uncle and their internet (provided by Sky Broadband) is pretty awful. The router conks out loads and when it is working it is very slow. I tried to download a 5MB file and it gave up after 20 minutes. Iplayer and Youtube are not options unless it's early in the morning. Think it might be more to do with their area than the Sky Broadband, though.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Deleted user 13 April 2012 13:37:17
    Sky are rolling out fibre ATM, with an upgrade in speed from 20mb (I get 10mb) to 40mb (which, being fibre, wil actually be 40mb). It's free to convert from unlimited to fibre and will cost 7.50 a month on top of what I'm paying at the moment but how does line rental work?

I guess this question applies to BT Infinity too. Do these new fibre networks work like Virgin where you're potentially liable for 2xline rental (if you leave both services connected) or do they replace your existing copper connection?

Also, are Sky just piggy-backing on Infinity here? Once my contract runs out is it likely that it'll be easier to hop across to Infinity (or other competing fibre services)?
  • Vortex808 13 Apr 2012 13:49:55 7,067 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really? Excellent. Hope they get up our way pretty soon. They have one of their LLU's at our exchange.

No doubt being a bit out in the sticks will mean it'll be ages before they get here sadly. I'm certainly happy to stay with them, as our connection is great and we seem to be getting about 10-13 Mb connection on our unlimited package most of the time as it is. Faster speeds would always be appreciated though.

Did they contact you about it?
  • roz123 13 Apr 2012 14:02:27 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oooohh, I have sky and have had a better time with them then BT and Tiscali (Talk Talk). I live in an area already set up with fibre optics (which I can tell by the near daily letters I get from Virgin banging on about it and a couple from BT) does that mean Sky will already be set up to switch me over?
  • Page

of 10 First / Last