Christmas hamper anyone? Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Gl3n Moderator 3 Dec 2008 12:07:19 5,563 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm popping down to piccadily in half an hour, shall i do a hamper run before heading home?
  • thefilthandthefury 3 Dec 2008 12:07:55 25,016 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Ethical Foie Gras!

You can have your cake (liver) and eat it!

Almost as bad, to me! Remove the ethical element and I still can't eat liver or anything.

Having kidneys is even worse though.
  • PES_Fanboy 3 Dec 2008 12:26:07 15,840 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh boy, imagine how delicious the foie gras from force-fed naturally greedy geese must be...

PS, mushroom pate is really rather nice, but only the stuff from force-fed mushroom stock.
  • otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 12:58:31 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't believe the sheltered gastronomic lives some people lead! :o

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:14:46 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I can't believe the sheltered gastronomic lives some people lead! :o

No need to be so snobbish, Otto. I don't believe I do have a sheltered gastronomic life. I'll try most things at least once to see if I like them. There are just certain things I won't eat, with offal being one, because thinking about eating innards makes my stomach cringe, and shellfish being another (and I have tried shellfish on many an occasion but they make me feel extremely ill - it's the snot-like texture). People are allowed to have their own tastes y'know.

My dad is very much of the school of "try anything once" - except snails. That's the one thing he's determined he will never even attempt, for the same reasons I won't try offal.
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:17:53 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm of that mindset (the try anything once one, except for meat because that really would be a case of "try it once" because I'd be dead afterwards :)

But have to agree with you on offal. Even when I could eat it, I couldn't stomach stuff like tripe or sweetbreads. Blechhh!

I used to eat haggis though - back before the allergy kicked in, and can still eat shellfish (and oddly enough, snails which don't seem to trigger my allergy) - both of which I can stomach but wouldn't exactly call "pleasurable eating"

• otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:19:09 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not being snobbish! :( Not intending to be at any rate! What's snobbish about trying lots of different kinds of food? Anyone can do it, food is cheap and readily available, there's no one-upmanship about it at all.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:20:16 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ruby says that haggis is actually really nice. Funny enough the thought of it doesn't turn my stomach the way other stuff, like liver, does. But I've never been anywhere where it's been on the menu.

I wish I could eat liver actually, people keep telling me how nice fried liver and onions is, and it's really good for you, but I know I couldn't manage it.

Fried onions though, mmmmmmm.
  • thefilthandthefury 3 Dec 2008 13:21:42 25,016 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As well as not eating offal, I can't eat seafood. At all. When I was young even the smell of it would make me vomit instantly and make me ill.

These days it's not quite as bad - I can manage to hold the puking off until I can exit the room now - but the smell is still the most horrible thing in the world. If I'm not sick after a while I'll at least feel ill for the rest of the day.

This applies to all seafood.
  • angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:22:47 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I'm not being snobbish! :( Not intending to be at any rate! What's snobbish about trying lots of different kinds of food? Anyone can do it, food is cheap and readily available, there's no one-upmanship about it at all.

Accusing people of having a "sheltered gastronomic life" because they haven't tried certain things, or don't want to try them for whatever reason, is snobbish, from where I'm standing anyway. It's not like any of us have claimed to have only ever eaten beans on toast.

And foie gras is far from cheap!
  • angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:25:49 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    As well as not eating offal, I can't eat seafood. At all. When I was young even the smell of it would make me vomit instantly and make me ill.

These days it's not quite as bad - I can manage to hold the puking off until I can exit the room now - but the smell is still the most horrible thing in the world. If I'm not sick after a while I'll at least feel ill for the rest of the day.

I would love to like seafood, I really would. I've tried mussels, which taste lovely, but I just couldn't deal with the texture at all, I had to fight with myself to swallow it. I just wish something else tasted like them but felt more like chicken. And oysters I just can't stomach at all.

It's like olives. I have tried and tried to like them but it's never going to happen.
  • otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:29:33 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    otto wrote:

Accusing people of having a "sheltered gastronomic life" because they haven't tried certain things, or don't want to try them for whatever reason, is snobbish, from where I'm standing anyway. It's not like any of us have claimed to have only ever eaten beans on toast.

And foie gras is far from cheap!
    But offal is among the cheapest food you can get. And it's really good and it's really nutritious, and I think that people depriving themselves of it out of a certain squeamishness are missing out. I mean, I do understand why people are squeamish about it, I just think they're missing out, that's all. I don't see what's snobbish about that.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Orange 3 Dec 2008 13:29:47 4,794 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Snails are nice, but similar to shellfish in texture. Can't remember if I've ever had foie gras, if I have it wasn't memorable.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 3 Dec 2008 13:31:51 7,010 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:

But offal is among the cheapest food you can get. And it's really good and it's really nutritious, and I think that people depriving themselves of it out of a certain squeamishness are missing out. I mean, I do understand why people are squeamish about it, I just think they're missing out, that's all. I don't see what's snobbish about that.

And the irony is that most people who are squemish about offal will, most likely, merrily tuck into a burger or sausage that has far worse in it!
  • smoothpete 3 Dec 2008 13:32:57 31,506 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haggis is delicious. Last stuff I had was with neaps and tatties and a whisky cream sauce, one of the nicest things I've ever eaten
  • otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:33:05 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:33:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Ruby says that haggis is actually really nice. Funny enough the thought of it doesn't turn my stomach the way other stuff, like liver, does. But I've never been anywhere where it's been on the menu.

I wish I could eat liver actually, people keep telling me how nice fried liver and onions is, and it's really good for you, but I know I couldn't manage it.

Fried onions though, mmmmmmm.

It is - and it has the bonus of actually not looking too much like what's in it. That's the main prob I used to have with stuff like tripe etc. Someone tells you what it is, and you can pretty much tell :)

You can get vegetarian haggis now. I tried one a couple of christmasses back and it was surprisingly not that bad. sort of misses the point though!
  • otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:33:46 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Exactly. If you eat burgers or hotdogs or the cheaper frozen cottage pies, lasagnes, etc, then you're eating offal. And if you do eat those things but don't eat things like sweetbreads or liver & onions then, well, I think you're missing out for no reason!

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:34:19 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    +1 for the haggis loving

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:34:38 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:

Yes and that's all very well, and had you said that in the first place you wouldn't have come across as snobbish. But the expression "sheltered gastronomic life" comes across as very different to what you've stated above. Really.

Pac-man - what we don't know won't kill us! Unless you're Peej. To be fair though I'm funny about burgers, I prefer to make my own and then I know exactly what's in it.
  • angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:35:55 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What do you do with haggis? Slice it up and fry it?
  • thefilthandthefury 3 Dec 2008 13:36:38 25,016 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:

I would love to like seafood, I really would. I've tried mussels, which taste lovely, but I just couldn't deal with the texture at all, I had to fight with myself to swallow it. I just wish something else tasted like them but felt more like chicken. And oysters I just can't stomach at all.

It's like olives. I have tried and tried to like them but it's never going to happen.

Don't get me started on olives! Every now and then I decide I'll go for them. "I might like them now" I tell myself.

Bollocks. They're foul, hateful, little things!
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:37:00 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Exactly. If you eat burgers or hotdogs or the cheaper frozen cottage pies, lasagnes, etc, then you're eating offal. And if you do eat those things but don't eat things like sweetbreads or liver & onions then, well, I think you're missing out for no reason!

Aye but most of the "acceptable" offal substitutes do actually disguise it pretty well...whereas sweetbreads, there's no real getting away from the fact that you're eating bollocks...

Most harrowing food that's made me fall foul of my "try it once, it won't kill you" philosophy was baby octopus soup from a chinese market out on the outskirts of Sydney. It had whole baby octopii in it, complete with suckery legs and bulbous squishy bodies. I think I managed to eat about one till it sort of "exploded" in my mouth, with the suckers sticking to my tongue. Ulg!

(this is not really the best time to be talking about this stuff is it...!)
  • smoothpete 3 Dec 2008 13:38:51 31,506 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't mind if things look a bit minging or if it's offal, but I will never, ever eat tripe. I've never had it and never will, it looks revolting and the preparation required is disgusting
  • otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:41:16 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well angel sorry if what I said came across as snobbish, it wasn't intended that way.

The only things I've eaten but really couldn't stand were octopus (like trying to chew tasteless rubber) and a fermented fish dish called rojak. Also, I'll never willingly eat pig's trotter again. I'm not too keen on brussels sprouts either.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:41:28 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I don't mind if things look a bit minging or if it's offal, but I will never, ever eat tripe. I've never had it and never will, it looks revolting and the preparation required is disgusting

Years ago I read George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier, and wondered what the hell this tripe stuff he kept going on about was. (I couldn't have been more than ten or eleven.) I had to go and look it up, and I honestly couldn't believe that people would actually eat that. It's also firmly on my list of stuff to never ever eat even if I'm nearly dead of starvation.
  • otto Moderator 3 Dec 2008 13:43:09 49,315 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm very proud of my eldest daughter, she may not be able to eat fresh fruit or salad without gagging but she'll happily scarf down whole baby squid, snails and frogs legs. The more outlandish and disgusting-sounding the food, the happier she is. I did once get her to eat some salad by saying it was seaweed.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• angeltreats 3 Dec 2008 13:43:54 2,602 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Well angel sorry if what I said came across as snobbish, it wasn't intended that way.

The only things I've eaten but really couldn't stand were octopus (like trying to chew tasteless rubber) and a fermented fish dish called rojak. Also, I'll never willingly eat pig's trotter again. I'm not too keen on brussels sprouts either.

I will also never eat another brussel sprout, due to my mother force-feeding me one (literally) when I was a child and it was like torture.

Speaking of octopus, I love love LOVE squid rings but when you get them somewhere that doesn't know how to cook them and they're really tough, they're among the most horrible things to eat. You can either leave them on the plate or suffer an aching jaw for days trying to chew the buggers.
  • pjmaybe 3 Dec 2008 13:44:40 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye definitely, squid should be...well, not like rubber really :)
  • billythekid 3 Dec 2008 13:44:51 11,132 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love brussel sprouts!!
  • Page

of 7 First / Last