The cycling thread Page 200

• Page

of 343 First / Last

• Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 13:57:44 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was on that site the other day funnily enough. Was looking at "The Welsh Ride Thing". Wont do it this year, but I'm very tempted for next year.

Bleh, new page. This site: http://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/

Edited by Psychotext at 13:58:02 06-03-2013
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 14:05:11 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the WRT is a big event. My aversion to crowds puts me off.
    The general idea is that you can have a "Micro" in less than 24 hours though.

It can also be a money pit of ultralite camping equipment..

Edited by Trafford at 14:06:26 06-03-2013
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 14:11:34 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Screw ultralight. I'm a pack rat anyway so I'll be going for weight and comfort. :D
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 14:34:22 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some pics from my last trip. Can't wait to get back out there again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84792738@N05/sets/72157631626653454/
  • Wacko_AK 6 Mar 2013 15:25:46 180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A few of us are planning a B&B trip on the Scottish Islands, starting from Arran and working our way west then heading to Fort William for the train back.
  • MikeP 6 Mar 2013 18:38:37 1,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be up for giving the bearbones stuff a go at some point. Ideally when it was warmer :)

I have a mate who could probably lend me an MTB, although depending on terrain I might be able to use my CX bike,
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 19:09:32 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mike , stick the fattest tyres you can find on the Jake, that would do for starters.
    The scene does seem to favour rigid 29er bikes , a lot of SS also.

Terrain wise it's a real mixed bag, be prepared to do a lot of pushing to find the sweet spot for the slightly illegal wild camp.
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 19:42:03 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know those Welsh ride areas well. In the wet they're horrible. :D
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 19:57:36 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In Wales, Bridleway means " go there, if you're man enough".
    Sometimes there's no track, just a right of way.
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 20:36:03 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, did one the other day and ended up knee deep in mud. It was genuinely scary.
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 20:51:53 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aye, dragging your bike across an area of tussocks is scary. They can be 2-3 ft high with marsh underneath.
    Twist an ankle and you'd be screwed.
    Not much in the way of mobile reception either.

You can get GPS pingers for loved ones now.

Edited by Trafford at 21:26:25 06-03-2013
  • MikeP 6 Mar 2013 21:39:58 1,771 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Trafford Some good photos there, really give the sense of how out in the wilds you are.

How do you find the Karate Monkey? I sold the Jake (to my boss!) a while back, I've got a Surly Cross Check now. And a Cube CX bike for actual racing. DO NOT JUDGE ME :p

Do any of the guys go for the fat bikes? They look like they'd do this sort of thing really well.
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2013 22:07:19 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /judges
  • Trafford 6 Mar 2013 22:25:19 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MikeP

Fat bikes are another side to it, more for coastal, snow or severe mud trips. There's Pack rafting as well.

The Karate Monkey is a great simplistic ride, with the latest models Surly have tweaked it towards a more general MTB design. I think the Ogre or Troll ( I forget which) is more bikepacking oriented with the rear disc mounts location , keeping the option for Cantilevers and braze ons on the fork.
    Mine's gathering dust now since I splurged on the Fargo :D
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 09:23:27 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm well chuffed

Had my 3rd bike fitness assessment yesterday with www.sportstest.co.uk and results were best I've ever had.

Weight - 78.3kg
    Fat % - 9.2%
    Maximum Wattage up 20% from end of Nov - 396w

I now seem to be burning more bodyfat even when I'm pushing higher heart rates.

Aim now is to get to 77kg and 8% bodyfat for Marmotte in July and that'll be easy, although when I started I thought it was an un-realistic target, particularly the fat %. Losing the weight isn't hard but you don't want to lose the power also.

I'm 6ft
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 09:26:02 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Hah, yet ANOTHER puncture on my road bike.

So much for Gatorskins!
    Have you checked where the puncture is?

Could be a pinch flat, especially if puncture is on side of tube. Gaterskins are solid tyres, although I use Continental GP4000s for both training and events.
  • elstoof 7 Mar 2013 09:28:10 6,639 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice work mate. That's a lot of muscle you're packing there, I'm 6ft and 6kg less. Don't think I could get to that weight by cycling alone, even when I was lifting weights I left hovering around the 75/76kg mark.
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 09:29:50 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    @caligari Iím terrified about going out to my bike in the morning, had a super heavy backpack on my ride home today and went over a couple of bumps. Gatorskins are great for regular punctures, but not so good for impact punctures as far as I know.
    You can hardly blaim the tyre for that.

That's just unfortunate.
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 09:36:05 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Nice work mate. That's a lot of muscle you're packing there, I'm 6ft and 6kg less. Don't think I could get to that weight by cycling alone, even when I was lifting weights I left hovering around the 75/76kg mark.
    Actually, my muscle mass has dropped ever so slightly since end of Nov. This was the only slight negative result from the test but as everything else was a massive improvement it's not a big deal, especially as my wattage was up. Usually when you lose muscle your power drops and mine's gone up. Just means I need to perhaps add a little more protein to my recovery meal after rides. I do anyway but a bit more should fix it.
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 09:39:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @elstoof

I was around 15 stone back in my bodybuilding days.
  • Salaman 7 Mar 2013 09:41:13 18,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    9.2% is pretty impressive for a mere mortal.
    The Belgian TV had Sven Neys (cyclo cross WC) as co-commentators for the Strade Bianche and they were talking body fat at some point when there wasn't too much happening.

Sven said some riders looked like they were still a bit "too fat". Towards peak performance times (say for the TdF) they go for about 5% body fat, which would be dangerously low for your regular Joe. Big downside to such a low % of body fat is very low resistance to sickness. Which is why some athletes will avoid anyone with the sniffles and won't shake hands as too many germs, colds, etc get transferred that way.

It was interesting stuff.

Some of the weight on these guys is mental though. I was just looking at the Omega Pharma - Quickstep team page last week. Serry (!)
    Boonen - 192 cm - 82 kg
    Martin - 186 cm - 75 kg
    Serry - 186 cm - 66 kg
    Stybar - 183 cm - 68 kg
    Keisse - 183 cm - 72 kg
    Chavanel - 181 cm - 72 kg
    P Velits - 181 cm - 65 kg
    Golas - 180 cm - 65 kg
    Pauwels - 178 cm - 64 kg
    Deveneyns - 177 cm - 68 kg
    Meersman - 177 cm - 63 kg
    Cavendish - 175 cm - 70 kg

I doubt they get to have many "fuck it I'm gonna pig out tonight" moments during the season.
  • elstoof 7 Mar 2013 10:02:43 6,639 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hhahahaa Cavendish 175cm.

Bullshit.
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 10:05:12 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    9.2% is pretty impressive for a mere mortal.
    The Belgian TV had Sven Neys (cyclo cross WC) as co-commentators for the Strade Bianche and they were talking body fat at some point when there wasn't too much happening.

Sven said some riders looked like they were still a bit "too fat". Towards peak performance times (say for the TdF) they go for about 5% body fat, which would be dangerously low for your regular Joe. Big downside to such a low % of body fat is very low resistance to sickness. Which is why some athletes will avoid anyone with the sniffles and won't shake hands as too many germs, colds, etc get transferred that way.

It was interesting stuff.

Some of the weight on these guys is mental though. I was just looking at the Omega Pharma - Quickstep team page last week. Serry (!)
    Boonen - 192 cm - 82 kg
    Martin - 186 cm - 75 kg
    Serry - 186 cm - 66 kg
    Stybar - 183 cm - 68 kg
    Keisse - 183 cm - 72 kg
    Chavanel - 181 cm - 72 kg
    P Velits - 181 cm - 65 kg
    Golas - 180 cm - 65 kg
    Pauwels - 178 cm - 64 kg
    Deveneyns - 177 cm - 68 kg
    Meersman - 177 cm - 63 kg
    Cavendish - 175 cm - 70 kg

I doubt they get to have many "fuck it I'm gonna pig out tonight" moments during the season.
    Yes, a lot of the fat percentage figures thrown around the peleton are sometimes a little exaggerated and it's really only the top GC guys who will get to figures like 5% (such as Wiggins etc), and even then it's only for the actual race. Particularly the GT's. Other riders won't be quite so lean, especially sprinters.

I'm sure you're aware that it's all about power to weight ratio with regards to climbing.

Before now I've never been under 10% and was hovvering around 11.something in Nov. My aim is to blitz a gold time on the Marmotte in July, hence the need to get as low as I can without losing power. Quite a difficult balancing act but going on yesterday's results my training seems to be working.

Most of Boonen's weight will be muscle mass on his legs.

Edited by pistol at 10:06:01 07-03-2013
  • Salaman 7 Mar 2013 10:06:54 18,878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not that it's that authoritive but wikipedia says the same thing.

edit: about Cav's height.

Yip power to weight for climbers. Good luck on your prep. that's a lot of dedication for a bit of cycling in France many months away still.
    :-)

Edited by Salaman at 10:08:31 07-03-2013
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 10:15:42 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Not that it's that authoritive but wikipedia says the same thing.

edit: about Cav's height.

Yip power to weight for climbers. Good luck on your prep. that's a lot of dedication for a bit of cycling in France many months away still.
    :-)
    You've got to do something in life I giess..;-)

I did the Marmotte last year for the first time and got round OK, although definately the hardest ride I've ever done in my life. I got into Sportive riding about 7 years ago after switching from years of tennis and got the bug very quickly. I guess I just have one of those obsessive personalities, especially where fitness is concerned.

I've done all the major UK Sportives multiple times and tend to get gold times in all of them, i.e. Wales Dragon etc, and for the past 5 years have trained in French Alps for a week each year, sometimes doing the climbs from the Marmotte, so entering it just seemed the next logical step. It's known as the hardest sportive you can do.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 10:28:14 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good stuff.

I wonder if I'll ever get sub 10% again. Probably not as I have a nasty tendency to injure myself when I'm there (I think my body likes the extra padding).
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 10:40:10 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psychotext

Unless you're competing for something that requires it I wouldn't put your body through it. I'm lucky that I work for myself so I can put the training in, but a wife n kids isn't particularly condusive to this sort of training. The amount of nights out I've had to turn down. It get's a bit much sometimes. I'll take another view of what I'm doing after Marmotte. Knowing me I'll probably train for Maratona in Italy next year. Similar but not quite as hard.

Edited by pistol at 10:42:20 07-03-2013
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 13:26:19 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How much are you doing out of interest? I'm on the "time crunched cyclist" plan just to up my fitness a bit (after my enforced downtime) and I'd say including my weekend ride I'm probably doing about 9-10 hours a week.
  • pistol 7 Mar 2013 13:57:56 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    How much are you doing out of interest? I'm on the "time crunched cyclist" plan just to up my fitness a bit (after my enforced downtime) and I'd say including my weekend ride I'm probably doing about 9-10 hours a week.
    At the moment I'm training around 12-13 hrs per week, occasionally a little more. Consists of 1 long ride at weekends 4-6 hrs hilly, and specific turbo sessions in the week. 5 days training with 2 rest days.

You can do a hell of a lot on 8-10 hours a week if you train right. Just going out and riding will of course bring your fitness up but unless you are targeting specific sessions you won't get the most out of it.

I appreciate I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum but you really could benefit from a fitness test. It will show you what condition you are currently in and allow you to target and focus your training. But, if you are just training for fitness and no specific goals it's probably not worth it.

At my first test in March last year it was apparent from my test results that I had been spending all my time riding way too hard. My body wasn't being efficient in where it got it's energy from and was pretty much all coming from carbohydrates. I changed my programme to fix this and now I'm getting energy from fats and carbs, even at high heart rates.
  • Psychotext 7 Mar 2013 14:02:39 53,855 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TCC is fairly specific (6-7 of those hours a week are done on the trainer). I don't target anything when I'm out though, I just try to push myself hard and have fun. :)

But yeah, I don't have any specific goals. I'm really not interested in competition in the slightest. Just want to get fitter so I can challenge myself with harder trails.
  • Page

of 343 First / Last