The cycling thread Page 187

• Page

of 348 First / Last

• grey_matters 18 Jan 2013 11:14:33 3,687 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Supposedly he did it free gratis. I could see why, from a PR persons point of view. Lends credibility. Expect a book deal etc very soon.
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 11:18:00 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, being paid for it would have been ridiculous. It gave him a massive world stage for his forced, insincere apology.
  • Dougs 18 Jan 2013 11:27:31 67,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    So... I'm watching some stuff now and it seems to me that he comes off even worse than I imagined he would. What a slimy little cunt.
    Bingo.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 11:45:08
    Was the "I wasn't cheating, I was leveling the playing field" a snidey way of implicating many others?
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 11:47:05 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yuuuuuup.

"Everyone was doing it! 'snot my fault"

/looks at feet
  • MikeP 18 Jan 2013 11:48:34 1,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Hmm, on closer inspection, it clearly is a separate bit because there's air between the flange and the steerer tube. Having had a look at this image of a headset the bit I have pulled off is the seal, and the bit that's still fitted to the old fork is the crown race, and a bit of googling tells me those things are pretty well fitted to forks and are a bit of a bugger to get off and on. Oh well, might have to make a visit to my (not very L) LBS when the snow clears, assuming a bit of the old gentle persuader (aka a plastic mallet) isn't up to the job.
    Sometimes you can remove the crown race by tapping it gently from underneath, and working round with a flat blade screwdriver (cover the tip with cloth or a bit of old inner tube to prevent marking), work your way around and go steady.

You can use a similar technique to reinstall on a new fork. Tap it round the top part of the crown race collar to slowly drop it in place. Do not strike the bearing surface.

It's a 10 minute job for an LBS with a crown race puller and an installer, however.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MikeP 18 Jan 2013 11:49:28 1,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Happier cycling things. A smashing 30 minute documentary film about Rivendell Cycles.

http://vimeo.com/57271334

• DaM 18 Jan 2013 11:49:35 12,968 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And while he's probably right that everyone was doing it, he's spent the last 12 years or so denying it very loudly at every opportunity, and destroying people who dared to suggest it. I think the Sunday Times are looking for their money back that they lost in court to him too.
  • Dougs 18 Jan 2013 11:51:08 67,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Was the "I wasn't cheating, I was leveling the playing field" a snidey way of implicating many others?
    Plus the "it's impossible to win the tour without doping". Sure Wiggo will have something to say about that....
  • MikeP 18 Jan 2013 11:52:07 1,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Our 'Cycle To Work' scheme opens up for a week on Monday.

I KNOW that I don't need any more bikes, but I'm oh so tempted by the rather nifty Specialized P Street.

Anyone ever ridden one?

I don't actually have anything resembling a MTB at the mo, so it's only right that I go for one of these.
    if you want an all-rounder then I'd go for this in a similar price bracket http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/nova-sport-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec041504

Cross bikes that are eyeleted for racks and guards are pretty much the most versatile bikes you can buy. I *heart* my Surly Cross Check.

Edited by MikeP at 11:53:58 18-01-2013

• Bremenacht 18 Jan 2013 12:40:44 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    Plus the "it's impossible to win the tour without doping". Sure Wiggo will have something to say about that....
    Someone posted a link to a list of TdF winners from the past 20 or 30 years. You'd be surprised how many apparently didn't dope i.e. more than just Wiggo!
  • grey_matters 18 Jan 2013 13:08:49 3,687 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    Someone posted a link to a list of TdF winners from the past 20 or 30 years. You'd be surprised how many apparently didn't dope i.e. more than just Wiggo!
    Nah. Wiggins and Evans might be clean but everyone else took drugs going as far back as Lemond (who was clean) imo.
  • Bremenacht 18 Jan 2013 13:42:16 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Found it:

• Bremenacht 18 Jan 2013 13:44:00 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess that means they've checked through old samples using new detection techniques and still found nothing.
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 13:46:23 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sad thing is, because of this I'll always wonder about Indurain... and he was a full on legend.
  • Dougs 18 Jan 2013 13:49:56 67,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Resting heart rate of 28. 28!
  • grey_matters 18 Jan 2013 13:50:59 3,687 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indurain was certainly doping (Conconi's star pupil).
    Roche was certainly doping (Conconi again, though in the 90s).
    Huge doubts about Sastre, even at the time.
    Delgado was doping (probably not EPO though).
    Also doubts exist about Hinault's second career (again, not EPO though).
  • Bremenacht 18 Jan 2013 13:53:36 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can they not re-check previous samples, or do no suitable samples exist before a certain time?
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 13:57:37 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    :(
  • Deleted user 18 January 2013 13:58:11
    Had a serious fucking facepalm t'other day when I realised I've been using the wrong fucking chain on my SS for the last 5k miles. I've properly screwed my chainring in the process.

I don't want to spend too much fixing it as I know the bike's getting replaced this year (seized carbon seatpost starting to cause problems) so I'm just going to rotate the chainring for now. Considering this a valuable lesson learned :-(
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 14:00:12 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol, I only just realised that the Bjarne Riis who won the tour and the guy who managed CSC are the same people. Not sure what was going through my head when watching the documentary.
  • grey_matters 18 Jan 2013 14:06:37 3,687 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    :(
    Sorry!
    If there was no such thing as drugs in cycling, I'm sure he would have won the TdF. But there was, so he took them too. The links with Conconi and Padilla are way too suspicious for me to accept anything else.

Edit: I doubt Armstrong would have won a single one in a clean peleton

Edited by grey_matters at 14:07:57 18-01-2013
  • oceanmotion 18 Jan 2013 14:23:05 15,770 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Even Merckx did it. I think people might as well wipe a few decades from the history books.

Armstrong came third in his comeback and he said he was clean then so who knows if he could have won a clean peleton. Can't remember who won that year, contodor or that US guy, they both got caught eventually too.
  • grey_matters 18 Jan 2013 14:32:42 3,687 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Even Merckx did it. I think people might as well wipe a few decades from the history books.

Armstrong came third in his comeback and he said he was clean then so who knows if he could have won a clean peleton. Can't remember who won that year, contodor or that US guy, they both got caught eventually too.
    He wasn't clean then either. He denied it because the statute of limitations hadn't yet run out on that.
  • Salaman 18 Jan 2013 22:50:40 18,953 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You probably need to make some allowences for what "doping" meant at different times. The guys 80 or 90 years ago doped as well. Just meant they took a whole tube of asperin to thin their blood ( fucking up their stomach in the process).
    Maybe 50 years ago it was some sort of veterinarian growth hormone or something
    So yeah Merckx has mentioned that he may have taken something at some point but that's on a whole different level as systematically using EPO and tranfusing blood and stuff.
    I also doubt Merckx would have taken anything for any length of time. Back then you felt on off day, you countered it with some primitive pill maybe. Slightly different to then90s and early 2000 and to what Lance got away with for ages.
  • Psychotext 18 Jan 2013 22:52:27 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does thin blood help then?
  • Psychotext 19 Jan 2013 02:42:42 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watching this interview live now.

Armstrong is dead inside. Complete sociopath.
  • sport 19 Jan 2013 08:48:53 12,675 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know that espresso you have before the Saturday morning ride?

YOU'RE DOPING!!!!!
  • grey_matters 19 Jan 2013 10:41:16 3,687 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Supposedly he did it free gratis. I could see why, from a PR persons point of view. Lends credibility. Expect a book deal etc very soon.
    Apparently JJ Abrams has bought the movie rights. That's one film I won't be going to.

Edit: Ah, it'll be based on a book to be written by an NYT journalist. No idea if anything is going to Armstrong.

Edited by grey_matters at 10:49:09 19-01-2013
  • Psychotext 19 Jan 2013 13:20:10 53,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    You know that espresso you have before the Saturday morning ride?

YOU'RE DOPING!!!!!
    ...and loving it.

Also, I'm on blood thinners and next week I'm probably going to get diagnosed with exercise induced asthma.

I'll be like a goddamn machine.
  • Page

of 348 First / Last