The cycling thread Page 167

• Page

of 341 First / Last

• MikeP 10 Nov 2012 17:48:41 1,765 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    I like that. Very nice.
    Agree - when you see the close ups the wood grain looks grand.

The amount of dodgy brakes I had to sort out on the Dr. Bike session today was a bit scary.
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2012 18:45:48 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I put new ones on mine today (waited a goddamn week for them to arrive). I hadn't realised my old ones were damaged until I literally couldn't even lock up my rear wheel from a standing start.

I still hate getting them right. I'm never sure where parallel actually is and where to put the spacers... plus the age old problem of tightening the pads and watching as the pad starts to turn too. :(
  • MikeP 10 Nov 2012 21:10:21 1,765 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Psychotext Are you using V-brakes or Cantis?
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2012 21:52:30 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    V's. Avid Single Digit 7.

Need to finish setting them up tomorrow when I'll get all OCD about the spring tensioners.
  • MikeP 10 Nov 2012 22:05:47 1,765 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right-ho. This may all be old news to you, but here's how I set them up.

You want the pad spacers set up so that when the pad contacts the rim the brake arm (the section where the pad is secured) is as close as possible to parallel with the rim.

I normally set the pads up up by loosely clamping the pads then pinching them against the rim so that the pads surfaces are set parallel to the rim. Then toe-in to taste. I normally use a 5p right at the end of the pads to create about a 1mm of toe-in.

Countering the twist as you tighten is just one of those things. It's one of the jobs where an extra pair of arms would be really, really handy!
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2012 22:10:52 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh I know how to do it for sure, though thanks all the same.

I just hate it. I'm obsessive to a scary level so I have to get it absolutely perfect... takes forever. I'm the same when I tune my gears, it takes me hours. :(

I've never tried the 5p thing though, might have to give it a blast. When you say at the end you mean at the back of the pad right? About a third of the pad in maybe, or the whole width of the 5p?

Edit - Now I look at a 5p those two are about the same thing. :D

Edited by Psychotext at 22:16:21 10-11-2012
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 23:03:50
    As you're talking about breaks I thought I'd ask; how do I stop that squeak noise on my rear disc brake? Front one doesn't do it, its just a bit embarrassing, but handy sometimes to let people know you are there if approaching from their rear!
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2012 23:19:34 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's possible that you've got some sort of oil on it / the pads or you haven't bedded it in properly.

To get rid of oil on the pads you can replace them, cook them in a frying pan / oven or flame them with a propane torch (Read this thread). I take no responsibility for your actions, though the propane torch method worked for me when I stupidly forgot to take my pads out when bleeding the brakes.

Oil on the discs can be cleaned off using standard bike cleaning detergent.

If you haven't bedded them in properly: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-bed-in-disc-brake-pads-31337/

I personally use a hill and get mine very hot.

Finally, it could just be that your pads are shit. Might be worth switching to a different compound. Have a look on superstar components, they're have a money back guarantee if you don't like them and they're cheap to start with.

Edited by Psychotext at 23:22:29 10-11-2012
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2012 23:27:28 66,589 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha, reminds me, I still haven't sorted my brakes out. Now have the bike stand which should make it easier, just have the issue of time.... A 5 week premature baby is getting in the way somewhat! I'll get round to it at some point. They work but I have to be careful when descey, luckily there aren't too many big descents to cause me problems. Suspect I have some oil on either the pads or disc or both, too.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2012 08:27:10
    Thanks Pychotext. So would it be a good bet to buy a new pair of pads? My bike is second hand, and from what I can tell wasn't maintained very well, I would assume the pads haven't been changed since new.

Is there any alternatives to branded disc cleaner?

Hmm just reading through your linked pages, it seems like I'm going to have to pay attention to this when I'm a bit more awake. Made me wonder though, what is the advantages over V-brakes? I may get a pair in the meantime while I try to clean, maintain, the disc(k?) brakes.

Edited by Apostle at 08:32:09 11-11-2012
  • MikeP 11 Nov 2012 12:24:59 1,765 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Oh I know how to do it for sure, though thanks all the same.

I just hate it. I'm obsessive to a scary level so I have to get it absolutely perfect... takes forever. I'm the same when I tune my gears, it takes me hours. :(

I've never tried the 5p thing though, might have to give it a blast. When you say at the end you mean at the back of the pad right? About a third of the pad in maybe, or the whole width of the 5p?

Edit - Now I look at a 5p those two are about the same thing. :D
    Yeah, just the edge of the 5p, right at the back of the pad.

I know what you mean about obsessing with them too! Balancing the spring tension on cantis and V-brakes so they are centred over the rim. FML :)
  • Psychotext 11 Nov 2012 13:05:19 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Is there any alternatives to branded disc cleaner?

Hmm just reading through your linked pages, it seems like I'm going to have to pay attention to this when I'm a bit more awake. Made me wonder though, what is the advantages over V-brakes? I may get a pair in the meantime while I try to clean, maintain, the disc(k?) brakes.
    The advantage of disc brakes is that they work just as well in the wet as the dry. It's a fairly important one if you do a lot of riding in shit conditions.

As for disc cleaner... have never used it. I usually just use Hope Sh1t Shifter or Muc Off Nano Tech cleaner.
  • Trafford 12 Nov 2012 09:37:25 5,609 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My eldest is doing his cycling proficiency, or Bikability course this week. Shocking weather for it.
  • pistol 12 Nov 2012 13:07:09 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Bradley got knocked off his bike by a man with a van?
    I was still half hoping he might come to the 6-day event in the Ghent velodrome next week. Hope if he was going to (slim chance though) that didn't put a stop to that.
    I thought it was a 44 yr old woman, and she's potentially getting done for driving without due care and attention.
  • Trafford 12 Nov 2012 19:24:53 5,609 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    My eldest is doing his cycling proficiency, or Bikability course this week. Shocking weather for it.
    Apparently he won the slow cycle challenge by 20 seconds\0/
    I'm a proud dad.
  • Psychotext 12 Nov 2012 19:57:13 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I assume that's what it sounds like? Go as slow as possible without falling off?

Should have taught him how to track stand. :D
  • Trafford 12 Nov 2012 20:30:20 5,609 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, it does denote some skill. Handy on technical stuff you'll appreciate.

He's not very sporty to be honest, but has a lot of experience on a bike. The one area I'm a pushy parent.
  • Psychotext 12 Nov 2012 20:45:25 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can he manual though? If he's going to hang with the cool kids then he's going to need that particular skill.
  • Trafford 12 Nov 2012 20:53:13 5,609 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, like I said, he's not very sporty. I'm normaly yelling at him to keep up.
    I'm taking what I can :D
  • Psychotext 12 Nov 2012 21:54:01 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sure he'll be crushing you in time all the same.
  • Trafford 12 Nov 2012 22:43:50 5,609 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's the whole point of kids I guess.
    They're here to replace you.
    (Jerry Seinfeld)

Hope he returns the favour and gets me a mobility scooter when the time comes.
  • elstoof 12 Nov 2012 23:14:49 6,588 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone seen that pic Lance posted on twitter of him lazing on his sofa under his 7 framed maillot juanes? What in gods name was the thinking behind that one?

He removed it as soon as photoshopped versions started spawning :D
  • Psychotext 12 Nov 2012 23:36:46 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol, I just saw it on the Daily Mail after I searched for it.

His fans are still alive and well and still utterly naive (see the comments on the article).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2231782/Lance-Armstrong-Shamed-cyclist-posts-picture-yellow-jerseys.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
  • Psychotext 13 Nov 2012 11:48:10 53,775 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought myself one of these for controlling the laptop when I'm on the turbo trainer.

http://p.playserver1.com/ProductImages/8/2/1/0/1/7/0/2/20710128_300x300_1.jpg[/img]

Seems to work really well. I hated having to stop to change what I was watching or mess with the volume on a long session.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 12:31:22
    I have had a good few cycling sessions lately. Really seeing some improvements in my performance, which just makes me feel so much better.

I went up the steep hill on my normal route, in one go, for the first time today! I think I could have done it a few weeks a go, but there was always something in the way, car, dog walker etc. Certainly a month or two back I could only get a third up, and that killed me! Generally getting quicker and better stamina though, which feels great.

Second happy thing, I found Moors Valleys bike trail (thanks to the endomondo route finder)! It's really good, and free, amataur track, about 5km. It was very fun to ride, and has been developed just for mountain bikers. Next time I'm over there I plan on doing a couple of laps to get a time to beat.
  • MikeP 13 Nov 2012 13:46:38 1,765 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good work Apostle. It's so, so, satisfying when you manage to ride something that's previously defeated you.

Once the improvements start to come it's a very virtuous circle for a while. You get fitter, so you can ride faster, longer, steeper, which means you get fitter...

Then you start to settle into a groove, but you know, it's a healthy, fit and happy groove with any luck!
  • Dougs 13 Nov 2012 14:02:41 66,589 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Went out for my first ride in 3 weeks today, after things getting in the way (weather, birthdays, work, oh and a new baby!). Amazing how much it impacts you. My time was only a few minutes down on normal but it was much harder work. All I needed to kick me back into the groove, don't want to do the hard slog of the last year all over again. Even if I still have some way to go before I reach my goals.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 14:23:43
    @MikeP Cheers buddy! I really love it, buying a bike was the best thing I've done in years. I'm already looking to find different routes and places to go, would also be keen to give road cycling a go at some point in the future.

Oh and by the way, your not a Spurs fan are you?

Edited by Apostle at 14:24:34 13-11-2012
  • MikeP 13 Nov 2012 14:58:27 1,765 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Apostle I'm not much of a footy fan really - I live just up the road from the Emirates, so I couldn't admit to being a Spurs supporter even if I was!
  • Deleted user 13 November 2012 17:47:33
    @MikeP Oh right sorry, it's just coincidental as on a Spurs forum I'm on I noticed another guy called MikeP! Must be a lot of Mike P's about ;)
  • Page

of 341 First / Last