The reverse bargains thread Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• thefilthandthefury 11 Mar 2008 15:18:15 24,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    Amazon themselves were selling an xbox game for over a grand new once (Dr. Muto I think), although I put that down to some system error.

Reminds me of when I was working for GAME and The Sims 2 was about to come out on platinum for PS2. We got it on the Wednesday, as usual, but when I scanned it through the till it came up as 12,000. It stayed that way until an hour or so after its launch :D
  • chrisp 11 Mar 2008 15:23:29 474 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    chrisp wrote:
    Amazon themselves were selling an xbox game for over a grand new once (Dr. Muto I think), although I put that down to some system error.

Reminds me of when I was working for GAME and The Sims 2 was about to come out on platinum for PS2. We got it on the Wednesday, as usual, but when I scanned it through the till it came up as 12,000. It stayed that way until an hour or so after its launch :D

Haha - to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if Sony did start re-releasing games at that price.
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Mar 2008 15:37:20 7,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GAME in Tamworth used to have Banjo Tooie second hand for 60.

The HMV on Oxford Street does second hand games. During the Christmas sales 2006 the new games were cheaper than the second hand ones.

Also saw a second hand FIFA in GAME Bayswater priced at 55. (The new one was about 30).
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Mar 2008 15:40:50 24,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing with GAME is that the new and the pre-owned enter sales/deals seperately. If a new copy of, say, Halo 3 is Deal of the Week this doesn't have any effect at all on the pre-owned copy.

Now, this is good or bad depending how you look at it. You could look at it as 'wow, I'm getting a brand new game for cheaper than pre-owned' or you could take the view of 'damn, I should be getting the pre-owned for even cheaper'.

I'd go with the former.
  • Charroux 11 Mar 2008 15:57:22 792 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just paid 32.99 for a Wii remote and 17.99 for a nunchuk at Game - I thought the RRP (such as it is) was only 30 and 15? And they didn't pricematch, the bastards.

(Had some Game vouchers and so was a captive audience...)
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Mar 2008 16:01:07 24,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Charroux wrote:
    I just paid 32.99 for a Wii remote and 17.99 for a nunchuk at Game - I thought the RRP (such as it is) was only 30 and 15? And they didn't pricematch, the bastards.

(Had some Game vouchers and so was a captive audience...)

Nah, they've always been that price at GAME. Everywhere else seems to do them cheaper but, at least when I was working there, they'd have no stock left and we'd have about ten times what they did in the first place.

Quite cheeky, I know, but they're taking advantage of the fact they have so much more stock than anyone else.
  • estoo 11 Mar 2008 16:08:39 2,797 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This exact thing happend with Eternal Sonata a few weeks ago.. 2nd hand version a full tenner more expensive than brand new.
    I look at it as a waste of shelve space, doesn't make sense for them to not reduce them in line with the new deals.
    I wonder if they're under any obligation to inform the customer who picks up the expensive pre-owned version that they can save a tenner by getting a new one?
    I guess most staff would, but how pissed off would you feel if you were the poor unfortunate sap that paid over the odds.
  • Lutz 11 Mar 2008 16:11:05 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw C&C3 in game pre-owned at 49.99 too.

Stupid prices there sometimes.
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Mar 2008 16:12:01 24,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    This exact thing happend with Eternal Sonata a few weeks ago.. 2nd hand version a full tenner more expensive than brand new.
    I look at it as a waste of shelve space, doesn't make sense for them to not reduce them in line with the new deals.
    I wonder if they're under any obligation to inform the customer who picks up the expensive pre-owned version that they can save a tenner by getting a new one?
    I guess most staff would, but how pissed off would you feel if you were the poor unfortunate sap that paid over the odds.

There's no obligation to, as such, but you're told to promote the Deal of the Week offers as one of your top priorities. So as both an employee and a decent human being you should be informing the customer of it, yeah.

Plus, you tell them and treat them nice and they'll come back. Build up a raport etc. Always good and makes your day more interesting to have a nice chat.
  • malteaserhead 11 Mar 2008 16:14:30 13,444 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing with GAME is that the new and the pre-owned enter sales/deals seperately. If a new copy of, say, Halo 3 is Deal of the Week this doesn't have any effect at all on the pre-owned copy.

Now, this is good or bad depending how you look at it. You could look at it as 'wow, I'm getting a brand new game for cheaper than pre-owned' or you could take the view of 'damn, I should be getting the pre-owned for even cheaper'.

I'd go with the former.

Well the local GAME store manager told me the reason why one of my trade-ins (Blue Dragon) was so low was due to it being deal of the week!
    Consistency ftw! ;)
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2008 16:16:06 58,784 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:

I'd go with the former.

Well the local GAME store manager told me the reason why one of my trade-ins (Blue Dragon) was so low was due to it being deal of the week!
    Consistency ftw! ;)

Yeah, I tried trading in The Club a week or two after they did the '19.99 with anything' deal and they offered me a mighty 13 quid.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• thefilthandthefury 11 Mar 2008 16:16:11 24,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:

I'd go with the former.

Consistency ftw! ;)

That's also true. Sometimes the trade-in price will lower if a game is on Deal of the Week. Due to it being on offer more people will buy it. GAME then expect to be getting a whole lot more traded in than usual, due to more people having the game and finishing with it so the price often goes down for a bit.
  • malteaserhead 11 Mar 2008 16:18:23 13,444 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I meant I traded in the same time as the deal of the week.
    My sloppiness
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Mar 2008 16:20:36 24,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:
    I meant I traded in the same time as the deal of the week.
    My sloppiness

Yeah I know.

What I meant was that since it's on Deal of the Week, GAME will be selling a lot more copies than usual. This means that there are more copies out there which will probaby get traded back in. Since so many will then be traded in, they reduce the trade in price so they don't end up with a billion copies they can't shift.
  • Fat-Boy 12 Mar 2008 11:06:59 4,300 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bottom right hand corner of the page, RRP: 199.99. Our Price: 249.99. Bargainous!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_47306465_6?ie=UTF8&node=15826471&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=0GRWZV633Q0BH2BFC344&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=172665291&pf_rd_i=300703

Edit: bah, they've changed it, the pesky young scamps!
  • convercide 12 Mar 2008 12:32:43 5,913 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Burnout Paradise is only 49.99 in store at GAME!

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Progguitarist 12 Mar 2008 18:12:42 10,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ireland is the official land of reverse bargains.

Assassins Creed is "only" 75 Euro new and 70 Euro preowned.

Bargain!

P.S. Anyone who can tell me how to get that bloody Euro sign working wins a prize!*

*May be a fabrication
  • chrisp 12 Mar 2008 18:29:06 474 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ctrl + alt + 4 if your keyboard's the same as mine.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2008 19:38:58
    Not a game, but I was in Tescos years ago and the cottage cheese was on special offer with a mighty 1p off.
  • JuanKerr 13 Mar 2008 16:18:40 36,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was looking for a Daft Punk CD on amazon last night and stumbled upon this bargain:

Check out the last one in the list. Bargaintastic.

• gang_of_bitches 13 Mar 2008 16:29:01 5,442 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Not a game, but I was in Tescos years ago and the cottage cheese was on special offer with a mighty 1p off.

I was in Lidl last year buying booze for a party and they actually had a massive sign hanging from the ceiling saying the gin (or sherry or something) was reduced from 7.99 to 7.98, sweet.
  • Nexus_6 13 Mar 2008 16:57:33 3,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago

i dont want to believe

xfiles season 5 either 13 quid or 72 quid.....hmmmm
  • Deleted user 13 March 2008 17:04:42
    Nexus 6 wrote:

i dont want to believe

xfiles season 5 either 13 quid or 72 quid.....hmmmm

One's the standard original cardboard release, which is fairly rare now, and probably worth that much new.
  • myiagros 13 Mar 2008 18:19:24 1,343 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chrisp wrote:
    ctrl + alt + 4 if your keyboard's the same as mine.

or you can just use "Alt Gr"+"4"=
  • Restart 12 Jun 2008 22:13:17 4,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Justice Volume: 3 Graphic Novel. A snip at just 1,084.43.
  • asphaltcowboy 12 Jun 2008 23:24:19 5,138 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Over in Amsterdam at Free Record Shop, I saw Drake's Fortune and Ratchet & Clank for 70EUR and 75EUR respectively (55 and 60)! I thought the Netherlands was a big gaming country, it's a wonder anyone buys any games at those prices!
  • Deleted user 18 June 2008 22:54:45
    Get it while it's hot!
  • Deleted user 23 December 2008 02:14:42
    Professor Layton and The Curious Village - yours for 49.99!
  • Page

of 6 First / Last