Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2624

• Page

of 2803 First / Last

• HarryPalmer 10 May 2014 16:41:29 3,417 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    End of Watch - 3/10

This fucked me right off. The idea - if they actually stuck to it - is good, and some of the action sequences are tense and nicely done.

The various technical contrivances (found footage, peep hole cameras, hand held, helicopter shots) are too distracting from the off. As a found footage its not realistic (which is kind of the whole point of found footage), yeah, I really believe that the gangs go around filming themselves.

The dialogue is terrible, the 'banter' gets old after 5 minutes.

At first I thought the audience was supposed to find the police ludicrous and crass, but we're actually supposed to think they're amazing, self-sacrificing heroes, regardless of their actions.

It's a ceaseless pattern of 'banter' - tense shooty bit -'banter', most of which could be cut out.

The ending is a joke (and of course finishes with an extra helping of 'banter').
  • kalel 10 May 2014 16:42:52 88,470 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yea, I thought it was shit too but everyone seemed to rave about it.
  • Scurrminator 10 May 2014 17:05:08 8,437 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snow piercer
    6/10
    Okay. Didn't think much of the trailer but had seen a lot of mention of this over the past six months so thought I'd try it. Trailer tells the whole story!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Rhaegyr 10 May 2014 17:11:21 2,310 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @HarryPalmer

Apparently a lot of the banter in the car was improvised by both the actors, which as you've stated was a pretty poor decision.

I thought it was decidedly average - the shiv in the eye caught me off-guard though!
  • Trowel 10 May 2014 17:11:35 17,913 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Frank.

This is fucking brilliant. It's pretty close to my heart, some of the topics dealt with in this, yet it does it with whimsy, humour and also feeling and just generally fucking brilliant acting and writing.

My film of the year so far. 92/100.
    Not seen it yet but I just think it's a bit odd having him played with an American accent and having the film set there.
    It becomes clear why in the film
    I don't think it's a spoiler to point out it's not a film about Frank Sidebottom, rather it's inspired by the character and the events around the recording of his band's album.
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 17:54:16 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    End of Watch - 3/10

This fucked me right off. The idea - if they actually stuck to it - is good, and some of the action sequences are tense and nicely done.

The various technical contrivances (found footage, peep hole cameras, hand held, helicopter shots) are too distracting from the off. As a found footage its not realistic (which is kind of the whole point of found footage), yeah, I really believe that the gangs go around filming themselves.

The dialogue is terrible, the 'banter' gets old after 5 minutes.

At first I thought the audience was supposed to find the police ludicrous and crass, but we're actually supposed to think they're amazing, self-sacrificing heroes, regardless of their actions.

It's a ceaseless pattern of 'banter' - tense shooty bit -'banter', most of which could be cut out.

The ending is a joke (and of course finishes with an extra helping of 'banter').
    Summed up my reaction to it exactly, far better than I could write.

I was genuinely surprised how good people thought this was.
  • kalel 10 May 2014 18:00:42 88,470 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The found footage multi-angle sex scene was interesting conceptually.
  • beastmaster 10 May 2014 18:39:36 11,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Frank.

This is fucking brilliant. It's pretty close to my heart, some of the topics dealt with in this, yet it does it with whimsy, humour and also feeling and just generally fucking brilliant acting and writing.

My film of the year so far. 92/100.
    Not seen it yet but I just think it's a bit odd having him played with an American accent and having the film set there.
    It becomes clear why in the film
    I don't think it's a spoiler to point out it's not a film about Frank Sidebottom, rather it's inspired by the character and the events around the recording of his band's album.
    Okay, makes a lot more sense now. It does look excellent. Hope to see it tomorrow.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TechnoHippy 10 May 2014 21:16:36 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas

I picked this up on the strength of the lead actor Mads Mikkelson, I've seen him in a few things recently and he's been eminently watchable each time (especially in Hannibal). In this he plays a medieval horse trader who's screwed over by a local lord. In essence it's a revenge tale, but quite a sombre one. If you're expecting an action flick then this isn't the film you're looking for. The scenery is bleak as is the story and Mikkelson plays the stern faced trader well. It has an understated feel throughout, even in the more dramatic parts it doesn't shout out. Personally I liked the style, but I can see how it would fall flat for some. Overall a decent watch if you don't mind the slower pace.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• PES_Fanboy 10 May 2014 21:54:46 17,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beastmaster it really is a good watch.

Also the French guy is sooo fucking hot. You might not agree.

The trailers before the film were interesting. Mrs Brown's Boys: D'Movie and Walking on Sunshine. Girl I saw Frank with asked me how many 8 year olds I would beat up to not see either of those films.

How many 8 year olds are there on the planet, do you think?
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 22:09:02 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

How many times are you going to out yourself this week?
  • PES_Fanboy 10 May 2014 22:11:28 17,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also saw Bad Neighbours.

Seth Rogen, the Jewish Cookie Monster, is married to a girl much hotter than him (hard to believe, I know), and they're total cunts.

Zac Efron's abs move in next door, along with a Franco. They're gay, but you never see them make out.

The rest of the movie plods along, with some funny bits, but overall I think you're supposed to side with Bapak Honey Monster and his cuntish wife, but ultimately all you remember from the movie is that they cut the scene of the baby eating a condom.

67/100.

I also had Nando's. Wing roulette. I still can't tell the difference in taste between the sauces, I must be broken.

72/100
  • PES_Fanboy 10 May 2014 22:12:38 17,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

How many times are you going to out yourself this week?
    If it helps, Charlize Theron in the Million Ways to Die in the West trailer is even hotter. Back on that wobbly fence I go!
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 22:32:02 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You're a regular gender cuckoo clock.
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 22:33:34 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hold on, gender is not the right term... oops
  • PES_Fanboy 10 May 2014 22:38:39 17,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You've lost me on cuckoo clock too.
  • jablonski 10 May 2014 22:40:58 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You're out
    You're in
    You're out

etc
  • PES_Fanboy 10 May 2014 22:41:49 17,200 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh right. Seems silly to have to choose.
  • twelveways 11 May 2014 06:51:12 4,069 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Downfall.

Was expecting this to be about the boardgame with the counters and cogs but it was actually about Hitler's last days in the bunker.

Really fucking powerful film, amazing performances all round. Mind blowing to think that it is true.

Great stuff

10/10
  • CosmicFuzz 11 May 2014 08:34:51 24,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blue Ruin 8/10

Great little film about a man's journey to find a killer just released from prison, although it spirals pretty quickly from there. Some incredibly tense scenes, and the simple story is well told as the film gradually boils over. Good stuff.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• The_Goon 11 May 2014 11:59:54 131 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Oldboy - 80/100

Very good film with a healthy heap of wtf piled on top. A great deal suspension of disbelief is required to stomach what is a ludicrous plotline but it is thoroughly intriguing in spite of it.

I thought the Shutter Island-esque was a tiny bit clichéd (and it was) until I started thinking about what the whole epilogue potentially meant - i.e. he wanted to continue a relationship with his daughter without the whole incest guilt. Takes it to a whole other level of wtf.
  • jablonski 11 May 2014 13:19:41 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (1/10)

The worst Hollywood blockbuster I have seen for many a year.

A complete mess.
    This guy is supposed to be a rookie, but he powers his way through the film as if he has cheat mode on. No wrong decisions, has the answer for literally everything within a second of needing it - the scenes where he deducts where someone will be in another country are inconceivable. His superiors stand around just staring.
    Where's the drama in that?

He leaves the bad guy in a car and runs off when the bad guy has all the info they need to know to save the free world.

It's plotting to propel the story, not to actually make logical sense. It's bewildering that Branagh was happy to go ahead with this script.

Feels like it's been cut down from much longer. His 'origin' story of how he got to the CIA are reduced to one short scene for each stage of his growth.
    University, Afghanistan, Rehab, office job.

It's fucking insulting this was put out in the state it is.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 May 2014 14:14:48 24,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Worst part of Jack Ryan for me was Keira Nightley. The way she strops around, pushing herself into everything made me want to reach through the screen and slap her.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• TarickStonefire 11 May 2014 14:19:45 3,242 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wolf Of Wall Street: is this still on?/10

So basically it's Goodfellas without the violence and a load of pricks squandering money and fucking whores for 3 hours.

Really, really boring. Sure, well made. Snappy script. But borrrrrrrrrring.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 11 May 2014 14:21:53 3,242 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Family 2/10

Oh my God. Why would anyone pay to go see this in the cinema? Why or how could anyone emerge from having seen it feeling in any way like they got their money's worth or had a remotely surprising or entertaining experience?

It's just completely mindlessly dull, predictable, clichéd, overcooked, over-egged, obvious, formulaic nonsense. Starring Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer, Tommy Lee Jones, some kid, and the fit one from American Horror Story Coven. Just... why?!

Oh, the money? Yeah, makes sense.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:22:26 11-05-2014

• jablonski 11 May 2014 14:24:40 4,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Worst part of Jack Ryan for me was Keira Nightley. The way she strops around, pushing herself into everything made me want to reach through the screen and slap her.
    Again, the script's fault.
    Gave her nothing to do whatsoever but pout and squeal
  • TarickStonefire 11 May 2014 14:25:51 3,242 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Again, the script's fault.
    Gave her nothing to do whatsoever but pout and squeal
    What's her excuse in every other film she's ever been in, then?

• Derblington 11 May 2014 14:29:22 21,927 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    ...and the fit one from American Horror Story Coven.
    You seem to be confusing AHS with Glee.
  • TechnoHippy 11 May 2014 15:09:53 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Orca

I vaguely remember watching this as a boy and thinking it was no 'Jaws'. That opinion is still true, but this is still a fun watch. For starters it teaches you not to mess with a killer whale. A great white shark might chew off a limb, or even eat you whole. This killer whale hunts down everyone you know and destroys the local economy before turning it's attention to you.

Besides which the whale shows a great white whose boss early on.

It's a silly film on all fronts, it's one advantage over Jaws was the fact that it actually used a real whale so you do have the amusement of a whale playing with sinister music. Silly as it is, it still entertained, but only just.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• JoeBlade 11 May 2014 15:13:28 2,587 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Oldboy - 80/100

Very good film with a healthy heap of wtf piled on top. A great deal suspension of disbelief is required to stomach what is a ludicrous plotline but it is thoroughly intriguing in spite of it.

I thought the Shutter Island-esque was a tiny bit clichéd (and it was) until I started thinking about what the whole epilogue potentially meant - i.e. he wanted to continue a relationship with his daughter without the whole incest guilt. Takes it to a whole other level of wtf.
    Is this the original or the remake? Because I certainly didn't interpret the original that way (haven't seen the remake, doubt I will)
  • Page

of 2803 First / Last