Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2477

  • Page

    of 2767 First / Last

  • YenooR 10 Feb 2014 10:25:36 532 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thor 2 the dark worlds.
    Thoroughly enjoyed this 8/10.
  • dominalien 10 Feb 2014 10:35:19 6,860 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's good.

    Edit: @Ged42

    Edited by dominalien at 10:35:40 10-02-2014

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Load_2.0 10 Feb 2014 10:43:18 19,267 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Oblivion 8/10

    Really like this. I kind of wish it had more plot to it, as there's moments where it feels stretched out rather than, but it's gorgeous to watch and Cruise is as reliable as ever. Good action scenes, love the look of everything. Plus I'm a sucker for a decent sci fi.
    Exactly my thoughts, I think people make to much of "twists" these days and feel if they can spot them early the movie is a let down. Oblivion never tried to be clever, it signposted things from the start. As you say it is gorgeous and a solid flick.

    Is Thor 2 out for rental? I have had a shit cam version available for months but waiting for a decent HD version on blinkbox. (Or too rip yohoho, whatever comes first)
  • sport 10 Feb 2014 10:45:21 12,723 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CRUZ HAS A BONE!
  • Megapocalypse 10 Feb 2014 10:56:18 5,418 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slumdog Millionaire - 8/10

    Nicely done, and didn't feel like it was over two hours long but not sure it was as great as all the hype at the time made it out to be.

    Black Swan - 9/10

    Really enjoyed this. Just the right amount of physiological fucked-up-ness mixed in with hard demanding reality. Not sure the girlfriend enjoyed it as much though. Every 5 minutes it was "what just happened?" "is that real?" etc. :p
  • LeoliansBro 10 Feb 2014 11:05:11 44,212 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not a film as such, but I watched 'Unknown Chaplin' yesterday, about reconstructing his working methods through the excess footage which has survived. I can't recommend this enough for anyone with an interest in the history of film.

    We are very lucky that these reels survived at all as the norm is for outtakes, rushes etc to be destroyed, but a few did survive and their insight is staggering. Chaplin regularly started without a script and experimented with various comedy elements around a central theme, often for days on end. The highest take slate I saw was 726, for a set piece in the foyer of a health spa where Chaplin experimented with various jokes, went from waiter to bellhop to guest, developed the narrative of the theme by continually shooting until his actors were exhausted. And all this under extreme time restrictions: he was under contract to make 12 films in 16 months!

    And you also get a sense of the man behind the clown, a small, nervous dancer who laughed at everything and threw himself into the role.

    Find this, and watch it.

    Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:08:53 10-02-2014

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Mola_Ram 10 Feb 2014 11:27:03 7,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Her - 7/10?

    I admired the movie, but I'm not sure whether I liked it or not. Phoenix's performance was great, but his character was such an insufferable, self-absorbed hipster douchebag that I found it difficult to like him. I mean, fucking hell, HE PLAYS THE UKELELE. How stereotypical can you get.

    "Oh no, I'm so lonely, here in my multi-million dollar apartment with a fantastic view. Poor me". Fucking hell, just kill yourself, you moany bastard.

    *ahem*

    Anyway, it looked stunning, and the music was great. And the premise was pretty neat and inventive, with a lot of stuff in there that really was quite thought-provoking. But the film itself left me a little cold.
  • Toonster 10 Feb 2014 17:32:03 6,842 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ged42 The Lego Movie is probably the best animated film in years (since Rango for me), and had it come out last year, it would have easily been in my top 5 of 2013.

    Edited by Toonster at 17:32:49 10-02-2014

    3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 17:57:55 87,627 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THX 1138

    Somehow I'd never actually seen this, I think because I just thought it would be a bit shit. In my head it was a kind of corny space romance with wonky 70s effects and basic 'point a camera at it' direction.

    I couldn't have been more wrong. I had no idea Lucas was capable of these kind of shots. It's beautiful. Really astonishing. And incredibly technically accomplished.

    It's also very dark and challenging, although a little bit painfully Orwell/Huxley for beginners. Still, it has something to say even if it ultimately says it in a slightly laboured and ham-fisted way.

    It's flawed, but it's very interesting, and along with American Graffiti really makes me wonder what happened with Lucas (I mean, I know what happened, but yeah).

    8/10
  • Youthist 10 Feb 2014 18:14:39 10,018 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lone Survivor

    76/10

    Hard to watch a lot of the time. And I really wanted the assholes with the rocket launchers to die - so unfair

    Anyway, good. I read up on Fact vs Fiction afterwards. A lot Fact, with of course Hollywood gloss.

    war sucks

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • imamazed 11 Feb 2014 12:17:37 5,583 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Face/Off

    Preposterous, obviously. But actually really well done, and Cage is at his more bearable state in this one. Perhaps the action scenes drag a little, but it was entertaining enough for me, and I know it shouldn't have, but the resolution of Cage's neglected son actually worked for me on an emotional level.

    7/10
  • Blakester 11 Feb 2014 12:29:12 3,614 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick review dump after a couple of long-haul flights:

    Thor 2 - Nice and short and perfectly enjoyable. 7.5/10

    Homefront - The Stath's accent is all over the place and the film completely runs of out of steam in the final 3rd. Instantly forgettable. 5/10

    We're the Millers - I must be getting old because I found this more crude than funny and Aniston's stripping was a bit embarrassing. 5/10

    Gravity - Obviously a tiny screen on a plane is far from the ideal viewing experience, but this was still wonderfully gripping entertainment. 8.5/10

    Ender's Game - A bit sterile really. Can't imagine kids getting much out of it as all the characters were so dull and there was barely any decent sci-fi action. 4.5/10

    The Way Way Back - Utterly brilliant portrait of the pains of teenage life. Steve Carrel plays an utter cock and Sam Rockwell is awesome as always. Not sure how I missed this first-time around. 9/10

    Also a quick word on the Lego Movie which I saw with the kids at the weekend. We really enjoyed it at the time, but having thought about it more, I think it could well be a minor classic. The 3rd act is stunning and not something I would ever expect to see in a kids film. My kids were by turn curious and a little baffled by the ending which prompted some pretty deep conversations.

    When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

  • smoothpete 11 Feb 2014 12:29:18 31,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cage as Castor Troy is ace. Travolta as Castor Troy is rubbish.

  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2014 12:30:46 11,412 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @smoothpete

    Sooooo much this :-)

    Still a great film though.

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • smoothpete 11 Feb 2014 12:36:39 31,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The first shootout is one of my favourites.
  • TarickStonefire 11 Feb 2014 13:09:34 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nu Robocop: 5/10

    Went to see it on Sunday, at 12:15 pm the cinema was RAMMED. About 50/50 'adults' and, yes 12-14 year olds. Kind of sets the tone, that, because the movie is just so blah.

    It's a pretty standard, average, mostly-very-boring action movie, especially if you have even an inkling of how strong the original is. Not terrible, definitely better than Total Recall simply by not being directed by Len Twat or starring Len Twat's Wife, and all the right plot-point boxes are very loosely ticked or picked up and 'waddled' with (as opposed to run with, you see) but mostly it's just… meh.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 11 Feb 2014 13:13:46 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We were going to see Lego Movie at first because loads of people saying it's great, but then we watched the trailer and I thought: "well first I shouldn't have watched that because now I've seen all the good bits. And secondly, it just looks like every other loud, frantic, kids movie with a message about friends and believing in yourself and blah blah."

    So we indulged our desire for a bit of hitech violence instead, which turned out to be as dull as I'd kind of expected but hoped it transcend. Ah well.

    Still don't think Lego Movie looks like more than a rental for most adults without kids.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • Architect_z 11 Feb 2014 13:56:16 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ghost Team One - 45% - (Just appeared on Netflix)

    It wasn't completely awful, I laughed at a few parts, but it was mostly awful.
  • spindle9988 11 Feb 2014 18:36:03 3,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trying to watch the documentary bully at the moment. It's really tough viewing to be honest. Not sure if I can watch it all

    Edit: awful head teacher at this school so far. Completely avoids the issue

    Edited by spindle9988 at 18:50:46 11-02-2014
  • thelzdking 11 Feb 2014 19:45:27 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Big Lebowski - 6/10

    Entertaining, but definitely not all that.


    Taxi Driver - 8/10

    I get what the ending is trying to say, but it still seemed jarring. I also found myself looking at my watch from time to time. Still, a great, wonderfully dreamlike film. Fantastic soundtrack.


    LA Confidential - 7/10

    Genuinely gripping, but let down by a slightly silly climax.


    The Petrified Forest - 9/10

    Tense, tense, tense. Bette Davis is the best.


    Fargo - 8/10

    Great acting all round. Great setting too.


    Breakfast at Tiffany's - 9/10

    I never 'got' Audrey Hepburn before. Then I saw her sing Moon River, and she's not even a very good singer...
  • Fab4 11 Feb 2014 20:22:32 6,061 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Cage as Castor Troy is ace. Travolta as Castor Troy is rubbish.

    I only found out today that Cage is in fact a Coppola. This explains why he still gets acting roles.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2014 21:46:15
    Jackie Brown.

    I seemed to have a complete memory wipe of this film. To be fair it probably been about a decade since i last seen it, but i swear the film ended when max walks out with the money, so i was kind of treated to 30 minutes extra :)

    And robert forster i'm sure is kyle chandler involved in a back to future accident. Kyle is a dead ringer for him. It's a bit uncanny.

    8/10
  • Tomo 12 Feb 2014 02:46:16 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Raid - 8/10

    Good actioner. Liked the concept. The plot fell to bits in various places, but the camera work and the martials arts were great.


    Human Centipede - 6/10

    I've seen a fair share of nasty films in my time and not really been too affected by them, however I found this pretty grim viewing. It was better than I expected - I thought it was going to be ultra-low budget shite, but it's actually shot not incompetently and I actually wished the poor sods would escape. I think the relative lack of gore helped it too. Filling in the blanks forced me to imagine some depraved things :/. Don't fancy the sequel though - sounds a step too far into unnecessary gorno.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2014 02:53:36 7,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Raid barely even has a plot to criticise. But the action is so sublime that it didn't bother me at all.
  • khaz 12 Feb 2014 04:00:09 2,785 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:

    I only found out today that Cage is in fact a Coppola. This explains why he still gets acting roles.
    He gets roles because all said and done he actually is a good actor. And is always willing to take on roles that no one else will consider.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2014 04:13:50 7,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, the fact that he changed his name indicates to me that he's not the sort who gets roles because of his family connections.

    *cough*unlikesofiacoppolaingodfatherpart3*cough*
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Feb 2014 08:07:08 24,297 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lone Survivor 7/10

    Better than I thought it would be. Action takes a while to get going but it's pretty brutal when it does. The build up to it all is good though, seems very 'authentic' although I would have liked to see more discussion over what to do about the goat herders. Liked the way it ended too, gave a more fully realised picture of Afghanistan.

    Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

  • CharlieStCloud 12 Feb 2014 08:23:41 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The Raid barely even has a plot to criticise. But the action is so sublime that it didn't bother me at all.
    'Dredd - 5 or 6/10'

    ... the sequel to The Raid looks even better!
  • Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2014 10:32:53 7,386 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The Raid barely even has a plot to criticise. But the action is so sublime that it didn't bother me at all.
    'Dredd - 5 or 6/10'

    ... the sequel to The Raid looks even better!
    Why the quote about Dredd? Is that something I wrote? I can't remember.
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Feb 2014 18:30:14 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

    You don't particularly like Dredd, no?

    ... there was a time when almost everyone raved about it only for you to stroll in saying, 'ah, it wasn't all that'.

    Or maybe I have got the wrong person altogether!

    Apologies, if so.
  • Page

    of 2767 First / Last

Log in or register to reply