Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2411

• Page

of 2862 First / Last

• Tomo 20 Dec 2013 19:10:48 13,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hobbit 2 - 8/10

Better than the first. Smaug is excellent. The ending less so. In fact, it was quite irritating.
  • trampstar 20 Dec 2013 19:21:47 73 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gravity - Was expecting typical space bollocks, this wasn't. Amazing cinematography, great performances.

9/10.
  • RedSparrows 21 Dec 2013 12:49:00 24,235 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Annual Michael Clayton watch. Love it.

There are some books, films and albums that you know are good, but not classic or superb. But you love them anyway. This is one such film. Love the end scenes, Tom Wilkinson, etc.
  • khaz 21 Dec 2013 13:04:06 2,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is there anything Tom Wilkinson is in where he isn't good?
  • BeardedGamerUK 21 Dec 2013 13:06:10 1,629 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @khaz No :)
  • thedaveeyres 21 Dec 2013 13:21:18 11,585 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Desolation of Smaug.

Everything works - the original material, the bits taken from Tolkien's other writing and Jackson's own sense of spectacle.

Smaug is superbly realised, but it's the performances by Freeman, Armitage and yes, even Lily, that make this shine.

93%

Edited by thedaveeyres at 13:21:38 21-12-2013

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Max_Powers 21 Dec 2013 13:29:45 1,102 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prisoners 7/10

Comes very close to being a Silence of the Lambs/Zodiac contender but fall short due to being too heavy-handed, too long and one cliche too many. Still worth a watch for sure and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will love it.

Edited by Max_Powers at 13:30:39 21-12-2013
  • BillMurray 21 Dec 2013 17:09:29 7,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Last Stand - 2/10

I don't know why I'm watching this. I've lost at least 20 IQ points wasting my time with this.
  • BinaryBob101 21 Dec 2013 17:25:20 24,415 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Turn it off?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• CosmicFuzz 21 Dec 2013 17:46:53 25,624 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I couldn't believe how much I didn't like it. Was so boring. I ended up leaving it on in the background and playing Persona 4 on my vita instead. Was a much better way to spend an hour and a half :D

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 21 December 2013 18:59:54
    Hobbit 2: The Bloatening

Far too long, too many unnecessary scenes, some semi-decent action sequences and scenery but ultimately more style than substance.

Martin Freeman was ok again in a bumbling sort of way, my issue with the drawves again being that they are nothing more than a bit of unmemorable comic relief was borne out. Oh, and an unnecessary love story hacked on for seemingly no other purpose than to feature a female character in the film to appease the PC gang.

Better than the first one, but, seriously, 9hrs worth of film this trilogy is going to be, roughly. It's already stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread, to paraphase Bilbo himself.
  • BillMurray 21 Dec 2013 19:02:07 7,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It got really odd towards the end with Knoxville jumping off street lamps and wearing silly hats.

Edit* Oh, and I just watched Fargo, which is obviously great. 9/10 for that.

Edited by BillMurray at 19:04:18 21-12-2013
  • Khanivor 21 Dec 2013 19:03:35 41,261 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Die Hard - Die Hard/10
  • RedSparrows 21 Dec 2013 19:15:16 24,235 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Hobbit 2: The Bloatening

Far too long, too many unnecessary scenes, some semi-decent action sequences and scenery but ultimately more style than substance.

Martin Freeman was ok again in a bumbling sort of way, my issue with the drawves again being that they are nothing more than a bit of unmemorable comic relief was borne out. Oh, and an unnecessary love story hacked on for seemingly no other purpose than to feature a female character in the film to appease the PC gang.

Better than the first one, but, seriously, 9hrs worth of film this trilogy is going to be, roughly. It's already stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread, to paraphase Bilbo himself.
    It's not for anything PC. It's for the viewing demographics.
  • MrSensible 21 Dec 2013 19:17:57 25,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really enjoyed the new Hobbit, but that love story was so tacked on it was absurd. It was painful to watch... which was a shame as I was really into it otherwise.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Dec 2013 19:36:59 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now You See Me

This is a fun thriller. Four magicians team up to create a spectacular magic show, the highlights of which are some original heists. As they do so they play a cat and mouse game with the authorities and with an ex-magician who is dedicated to exposing magicians and their scams.

As thrillers go it's not a very deep one, but it does have a few interesting twists along the way. What does stand out are the magic shows, they are a fantastic spectacle and the four magicians all contribute something different to the show. There's sleight of hand, mesmerism, escapology and illusions and the actors all do a decent job with their roles.

I can see that some people might not be a fan of the ending,personally I liked it, it's nice to think that there's a bit of mystery to it. All in all it's a flashy and entertaining watch.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• eleven63 21 Dec 2013 21:36:22 1,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    World War Z

Really enjoyed this, as did my 13 year old son who said - "This is really gripping!"

Watched the extended version via PS3 - don't know what was added, etc from the cinema release, and I haven't read the book so can't comment on what/wasn't missing or "right" from the book.

A solid 75% - it was tense, but may be 1 too many close escapes from our main man?! Glad I made the effort.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Short-Round 21 Dec 2013 21:42:58 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Poseidon Rex - 79%
  • Jeepers 21 Dec 2013 22:25:03 13,314 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Desolation of Smaug:
    Not enough desolation.

7/10
  • Youthist 21 Dec 2013 22:35:59 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now You See Me.
    3/10. Pretty much meandering aimless confused garbage.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Youthist 21 Dec 2013 22:37:33 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Max_Powers wrote:
    Prisoners 7/10

Comes very close to being a Silence of the Lambs/Zodiac contender but fall short due to being too heavy-handed, too long and one cliche too many. Still worth a watch for sure and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will love it.
    I loved Prisoners. Some great performances from all the main players and it gripped all the way through. 9/10

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Deleted user 21 December 2013 23:04:09
    Edge of Tomorrow 7/10

Based on the book All you Need is Kill.

Hmmmmmm

Ok so straight away the name of the film has been changed from the rather harsh "All You Need is Kill" to make it seem more PG-13 friendly.

Good job the name of has been changed in my opinion as although the basic premise is there, this is only a feint outline of the book. Just think comparison of World War Z the film and the book, same premise very different execution.

The time loop skill enhancement remains but thats where the similarities end, they play this more on a more grand scale interaction time loop, rather than just the final battle time loop like in the book.

For me the biggest let down is the tech. In the book the mech suits completely incase the soldier and they wield big bombastic weaponry, and power swords which is still insufficient to fight the brutal Mimics.

In this its more of an exoskeleton (think a bulkier version of Elysium).

Just feels like such a wasted opportunity, to see some amazing futuristic military tech.

Ultimately this is a film neutered by the inability to be brave and stick to the book, so instead of a brutal balls to the wall sci-fi war film (like the book), we get a flimsy disjointed action sci-fi epic.

Worth a watch but not what it should have been. Plus the casting of Emily Blunt as Rita Vrataski the "Full metal bitch" is just off, shes far too pretty and slight in my opinion to be believable.
  • Monochrome-Night 21 Dec 2013 23:11:30 1 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Seven Psychopaths: 7.5/100

I loved In Bruges so this was a no brainer. I didn't love it as much as In Bruges, but I still loved it. Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken were great in it, and Tom Waits was a nice bonus.

Edited by Monochrome-Night at 23:13:13 21-12-2013
  • Trowel 21 Dec 2013 23:24:34 18,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Life of Pi - 8/10

I actually ate a pie while watching this. Nothing special happened though.
  • MadCaddy13 22 Dec 2013 08:36:10 2,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's pi got to do with a pie?

Oooooh I see what you did there! ;)
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Dec 2013 09:40:41 25,624 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blue Jasmine 9/10

Loved this. Blanchett was phenomenal and will surely be given a nomination come Oscar time. High society girl has her life come crashing down and has to move on with her life. Doesn't sound like much but the dialogue and characters are very well done and nicely realised. Although I've noticed that Woody has a thing for descriptive dialogue, where one character will walk on scene and announce, "Yes, so you asked me earlier about my time in X" or whatever, then go on to explain it. It's a jarring way of moving the conversation on and filling the audience in on necessary back story and it brought me out a few times.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Page

of 2862 First / Last