Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2407

• Page

of 2710 First / Last

• Megapocalypse 16 Dec 2013 09:34:23 5,323 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Frozen - 6/10

Visually stunning in places, but the story lacks the roundness and satisfaction of Tangled (a clear 9/10) and the characters act and sing in a manner more suited to a High School the Musical. Some credit to the tale putting a different and clever (given the target audience) spin on the usual Disney notion of "true love", but even that's reached in a slightly ham fisted manner.
    Pretty much agree with that although all the kids in the cinema seemed thoroughly entertained. It looked fantastic, and the characters were great but the story was a bit boring. It really needed a decent villain as well.
  • Maturin 16 Dec 2013 09:49:04 2,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Last Stand 6/10

Watched this Arnie flick on Netflix last night. Was good fun in an TV A-Team kind of way. Likeable characters and a silly but entertaining story. Where it fell down was the gore. The amount of blood and splashy sound effects seemed way over the top for what was a light-action/comedy kind of film.

Oh and it did that thing that annoys me in any film. Clutch pedal in, new gear engaged, car shoots off like a rocket. Like cars have a special gear to go to when you want to go to warp speed.
  • nickthegun 16 Dec 2013 10:01:56 58,851 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Planes - shit.

A plucky young crop dusting plane decides to enter what, at first, appears to be the red bull x-plane thing, but for some reason morphs into a sprint around the world, pitting himself against pro-race plane stereotypes from around the world.

Every cliche that came racing to the front of your mind happens in the exact order you just thought of them. Stern mentor that has to overcome his own troubles? Check. Mean leader of the race? Check. Winning the hearts of the crowd? Check.

Its just awful. Cliched and boring. My five year old daughter gave up after 15 minutes and started playing on the iPad. It just couldnt hold her attention. It has nothing clever that works to keep the parents interested and the story, characters and dialogue arent interesting to keep kids involved. It takes everything you found crap about Cars and amplifies it by 10.

It also continues the slightly creepy precedent of cars that sees this world being our world after 'Maximum Overdrive' (with emilio estevez).

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• captainrentboy 16 Dec 2013 10:09:06 963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Hobbit Pt 2 - 85%
    I enjoyed it more than the first one, it had a far zippier pace, the parts that have been added to the story were largely all for the better, and there were a couple of very good action sequences.
    The Good-
    Legolas & Turiel were great additions to the story and tend to have the best fight scenes.
    The barrel escape was brilliant.
    Seeing what Gandalf got up to leads to one of the better scenes in the film, not quite "You shall not pass!!" levels of awesome, but almost.
    The last 40 mins or so of Smaug doing his stuff.
    Music, make up and set design are all at their usual high standard.
    The Bad-
    Certain elements are extremely rushed (Beorn's intro)
    CGI limitations and budget can't quite achieve some of the stuff Jackson wants going on in his set pieces. And then there are daft things like totally unnecessary CG snow, which looked terrible.

All in all, if you liked the first one you'll more than likely enjoy this one too.
  • Tonka 16 Dec 2013 10:15:02 20,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Add me to the BWP shit yo pants club.

Only film that has genuinely scared me ever.
    This is where I watched it. All alone at night in an old naval prison.

Walking out of that place afterwards...

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 16 December 2013 10:50:28
    Quarantine

Admittedly I have not seen [rec] and if I had then this would probably have far less effective. From what I've heard it's a much poorer version of the same story with unnecessary changes to the end and everythinp else pretty much like for like but not as good.

However. I haven't seen [rec] so I really fucking enjoyed this. Good jumps, decent and not annoying acting, good spin on the zombie movie cliches and an entertaining flick all round.

8/10

Now to dig out the far superior version and see if it actually is...
  • HarryPalmer 16 Dec 2013 10:53:30 3,114 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hobbit 2 - 8/10

Enjoyed this, preferred the first overall. The barrel escape is pure joy though. The Mirkwood section aint bad either. Jackson brings so much to these films, I love how he directs them.

Also, if you can, see it in HFR. It adds so much to the 3D, everything is bright, crisp and clean, and you don't get all the blur, there are moments when it is like actually looking into the scene.
  • Deckard1 16 Dec 2013 10:54:53 27,220 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Specific Rim

Really quite shit.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2013 10:56:22
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Light Sunday afternoon entertainment, better than the 3rd, a little camp in places but good fun film.

7/10.
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Dec 2013 20:06:37 5,089 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Santa Clause - the Tim Allen version.

I'm 22 minutes into this ninety minute film and Christ almighty, it is unbearably crap.

... why do kids like it? There is nothing remotely enjoyable about this.
  • Megapocalypse 16 Dec 2013 20:40:29 5,323 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember it being quite fun. I think I will leave it as a memory.
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Dec 2013 21:20:06 5,089 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fell asleep in the end!

... just as well really.

God knows why it is such a popular Christmas film. It is breathtakingly poo-poo.

The Nightmare Before Christmas tomorrow night though.

(^_^)
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Dec 2013 21:43:29 23,292 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really liked it when I was a kid.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Punctum 16 Dec 2013 21:57:26 932 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Gremlins

Watched it with my daughter and her friend today. Great stuff, thoroughly enjoyed by all!

7/10
  • Sharzam 16 Dec 2013 23:57:30 2,721 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    House at the end of the street

I am having a hard time deciding with this one. On the one hand it is so utterly generic ticks all the boxes, new girl in town, outcast older boy, jock bullies etc. And it clearly was designed to meet a teen age rating, the suspense is dialled down and no real horror elements.

However it does have a some nice touches such as the basement torch scene and the overall story is not to bad (massive plot hole aside). I do rather like Jennifer Lawrence as she seams to be a half decent actress even in a pretty standard moaning teen role such as this.

So 5/10 for general is enjoyable viewing but nothing particularly different. A bonus 2 points if your 16 years old or under.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• drhcnip 17 Dec 2013 06:52:40 2,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Quarantine

Admittedly I have not seen [rec] and if I had then this would probably have far less effective. From what I've heard it's a much poorer version of the same story with unnecessary changes to the end and everythinp else pretty much like for like but not as good.

However. I haven't seen [rec] so I really fucking enjoyed this. Good jumps, decent and not annoying acting, good spin on the zombie movie cliches and an entertaining flick all round.

8/10

Now to dig out the far superior version and see if it actually is...
    it is...may be tainted a bit by seeing quarantine first, though...
  • phAge 17 Dec 2013 21:02:56 24,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    R.I.P.D.

Meh. Plus points for being being Men In Black with Jeff Bridges, but also minus points for being Men In Black with Jeff Bridges.

6/10
  • Kostabi 17 Dec 2013 21:07:19 4,878 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Con Air - 9/10

I love everything about this film, although seeing Steve Buscemi before he turned into a gnarly bollock is a bit jarring now.
  • Deleted user 17 December 2013 21:12:59
    Tron: Legacy.

A bit boring really. Visuals are pretty cool, but like the film pretty sterile.

Jeff bridges, managing to parody himself on all levels, which is a shame because jeff bridges is awesome.

The lead, the son, was pretty good though i thought he carried the film pretty well. There wasn't much wrong with it, but it wasn't overally exciting as well, which as a kid it won't tick all the boxes. it almost manages it, but all the encounters were pretty dull. I did like the plane sequence at the end, i can't remember the last time i saw a plane scene in a film and i thought it was pretty well done , with nods to its own universe, but of course to old ww2 films and the like.

5/10
  • JiveHound 17 Dec 2013 21:29:42 2,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Trance.

Convoluted.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 17 December 2013 21:36:27
    On The Road (2012) 7/10

Difficult to rate this film. I found the first 20 minutes quite boring. You have to be in the right mood for it. I continued the following day, and stuck with it. The story is set in the 1940’s 1950’s .. and it’s creators have done a good job with the look of the film. I liked the acting too. The story’s isn’t bad either. My biggest gripe has to be the audio. I know they overdub vocals on some films, On The Road, the vocals, intentional or not, sound like they’ve been recorded in a sound booth, and never sound like they’re part of the scene. The biggest offender had to be Garrett Hedlund’s character Dean Moriarty, who’s voice over reminded me of a deeper take on Johnny's Depp's voice during The Rum Diaries. The voice simply didn’t fit the face.
  • oceanmotion 17 Dec 2013 21:38:19 15,662 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I watched Tron Legacy the other day as well. Second time I've seen it.

It wasn't as much of a snooze fest as I remember but still close. Lacks excitement and the one thing I liked last time, the plane sequence wasn't the same high note again. The whole Michael Sheen/Daft Punk section, still god awful. The main trio were fine, didn't mind Bridges, just a bit mental being stuck in there. I think the film suffered from aiming to be perfect. They lost sight of the fun.

4/10

Edited by oceanmotion at 21:40:32 17-12-2013
  • guts 17 Dec 2013 22:09:58 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched Django Unchained again last night. Fookin brilliant. Funny, great story and superb characters. Bought the uv code on ebay but def going to have to get it on blu ray to enjoy it fully.
    9/10

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Tomo 17 Dec 2013 23:53:38 13,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blue is the Warmest Colour - 10/10

This has really struck a chord with me and has made me feel a bit glum since watching it, which is not necessarily a bad thing, it was just quite an emotional flick. The first half is basically a Lesbian coming of age story, then it switches gear and becomes a lesson love, hope and anguish. The acting is incredible – it's as long as Lord of the Rings without a sword in sight, but never becomes boring.
  • sirtacos 18 Dec 2013 09:29:35 7,268 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WALL-E

I must have seen this half a dozen times already, but a friend popped over who'd never seen it before, so I forced her to watch it with me. Her initial reluctance ("but it's for kids!") quickly gave way to awe (the blu ray is gorgeous) and she ended up loving it.

I did too. It's been 2 or 3 years since I last watched it, so I had forgotten just how brilliant some parts were. I also noticed things I never paid attention to before... like EVE's gradual transformation from stiff robot to something more human than a human. This in itself is pretty fucking obvious, but what struck me this time is the way her gradual awakening is portrayed through subtle mannerisms, changes in her voice, etc. is pretty fucking amazing when you consider the sheer artistry (and tedious work) that must have gone behind it all.

Unlike many other people, I don't agree that the film 'devolves' into an above average children's animation after about an hour (once humans enter the picture). I suppose I can see how the second half can be disappointing if you expect the entire thing to be an animated silent Charlie Chaplin film...

Anyway 10/10
  • imamazed 18 Dec 2013 09:33:34 5,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Hobbit 2

OH NOES A FILM IS A DIFFERENT TO A BOOK!

Ahem. But yeh, it was good. Some nice additions, just great entertainment. Didn't have a problem this time round with the 48fps, but the POV barrel shots down the mini-waterfall were very odd indeed - seemed really "realistic" - in a bad way for a fantasy film.

Also, quickest ever director cameo?

8/10
  • sport 18 Dec 2013 09:37:15 12,572 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    it's as long as Lord of the Rings without a sword in sight
    haha...oh Tomo...
  • nickthegun 18 Dec 2013 09:40:46 58,851 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blue is the warmest colour sounds like it was made to be one of those mid-nineties channel 4 movies, sponsored by stella artois.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• vijay_UK 18 Dec 2013 18:01:31 2,079 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I enjoyed this far more than the ballcrap first movie. Plenty of entertainment and the sfx was good especialy with the dragon, only rarely did the cgi look a bit out of place. Wasn't overly concentrating on things like that, just wanted my money's worth.

Ooh, that Kate from Lost sure is easy on the eye. She is lovely. And a good performance from her to boot, and also from Orlando Bloom which surprised me. Very good all round.

And without Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf, LOTR/The Hobbit does not work (for me), he's outstanding in each of these movies.

8.5/10
  • oldschoolsoviet 18 Dec 2013 19:02:23 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Blue is the Warmest Colour - 10/10

This has really struck a chord with me and has made me feel a bit glum since watching it, which is not necessarily a bad thing, it was just quite an emotional flick. The first half is basically a Lesbian coming of age story, then it switches gear and becomes a lesson love, hope and anguish. The acting is incredible – it's as long as Lord of the Rings without a sword in sight, but never becomes boring.
    Not quite a 10 for moi, but watching it this morning left me equally stunned, and the three hours flew by. Great throughout, but the garden party sequence was a treat, even if it had the subtlety of a hammer.

(and there was a sword, although supposedly prosthetic)
  • Page

of 2710 First / Last