Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2364

• Page

of 2868 First / Last

• Deleted user 21 October 2013 20:00:03
    Tonka wrote:
    @blacksea now see "Inside Job" and "The Yes Men Save the World" and you'll never look at Michael Moore the same way again. Heck, even this short YouTube video shows him up as a big crowd pleaser but I think the subject matter deserves better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Don't you mean The Yes Men Fix the World (2009). No, i've not seen that.
    I've seen Inside Job, not too sure about that.
    The Corporation (2003) is quite interesting.

Edit: Just watched The Yes Men Fix the World

Heh, the part the candle(s).

Edited by blacksea at 21:45:41 21-10-2013
  • Kostabi 21 Oct 2013 21:47:40 5,098 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    World War Z

Brad Pitt goes globetrotting through armageddon and - spoiler alert - stumbles unscathed from disaster to increasingly horrifying disaster
    It's a PG zombie film, so faces are eaten without comical amounts of blood spurting everywhere. This is simultaneously jarring, weird-looking, and unsettling. (It atually makes certain scenes more disturbing, sort of.)

Anyway despite showing some promise early on this is a bland film that gets progressively worse after the first half-hour or so. However, it is reasonably entertaining, tense in places (at the beginning, before Brad becmes a tourist of the apocalypse), and it's not offensively bad.

6/10
    Pretty much this, except maybe 5/10 for me.

Even ignoring the book and taking the film on its own there really isn't much to recommend.
  • darrenb 21 Oct 2013 22:01:17 696 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Machete kills - 75

Was good when the brain gets switched off, ridiculous fun. In good style to the original machete film.
  • Tonka 21 Oct 2013 22:08:34 21,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @blacksea right you are. Fix, not save.

Edited by Tonka at 22:08:51 21-10-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• TechnoHippy 21 Oct 2013 22:24:14 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Razz

Thanks I'll check them out.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Madder-Max 22 Oct 2013 01:19:51 11,689 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Iceman - 9/10. Fucking ace.....but then I like films like this. Really good and I know its unpopular but I rerally like ray liotta in films.

This is a film about a guy that aint family cos he's polish and he does what he is good at for a living.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• warlockuk 22 Oct 2013 10:03:39 19,223 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Recent:
    Oblivion: 3/10. Good ships and CG, utterly ridiculous plot which makes no sense and has more holes than anything.

After Earth. 1/10. That's for the visuals; the rest of the film is a bunch of nonsensical bullshit.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. 6/10. Surprisingly enjoyable, despite itself.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 22 Oct 2013 10:05:51 19,223 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    World War Z

Brad Pitt goes globetrotting through armageddon and - spoiler alert - stumbles unscathed from disaster to increasingly horrifying disaster
    It's a PG zombie film, so faces are eaten without comical amounts of blood spurting everywhere. This is simultaneously jarring, weird-looking, and unsettling. (It atually makes certain scenes more disturbing, sort of.)

Anyway despite showing some promise early on this is a bland film that gets progressively worse after the first half-hour or so. However, it is reasonably entertaining, tense in places (at the beginning, before Brad becmes a tourist of the apocalypse), and it's not offensively bad.

6/10

Even ignoring the book and taking the film on its own there really isn't much to recommend.
    I'd go along with that; the final solution thingy they come up with surprises me in that it'd be the *first* thing you'd notice in a zombie apocalypse.
    With all the millions of terminally ill people and people with HIV and other things in the world you think they'd notice pretty early on that the people still standing all have a funny cough.

Edited by warlockuk at 10:06:32 22-10-2013

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• dr_swin 22 Oct 2013 10:12:20 4,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really surprised at the lack of love for Captain Phillips so far. Perhaps it's early days...
  • Architect_z 22 Oct 2013 10:14:59 2,438 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The biggest flaw with the World War Z is the bit on the plane before the final chapter. Its the whole reason I gave it such a shite review. The plane doesnt get destroyed by the grenade, everyone on the plane seems to die except Brad Pitt and his friend. Also, isnt it a tad strange that they land in Wales, let alone land within walking distance of the small village that happens to be home to the exact research facility they were looking for. And thats just one of the major logical flaws of this movie. I can normally look past most illogical things in movies, but this film takes the biscuit!

World War Z is just complete crap.

Edited by Architect_z at 10:17:55 22-10-2013
  • Tonka 22 Oct 2013 10:17:53 21,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @-cerberus- Now watch Singing in the rain.

Seriously. It's surprisingly good AND makes all other rom coms look like pale imitators.

Then go back even further and see Roman Holiday for the ultimate "Nothing new has been done in the last 60 years" experience

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 10:25:13
    The Way Back.

Decent. I read the book a while ago - the long walk a few years back and enjoyed it alot.

The movie is a pretty straight up , linear and honest adaptation of the book, and nothing more than that. It is has one big issue - the very first thing you see is 3 people surivived this walk - so it pretty much takes all tension out of the film. But what is there, is some solid performances, - soarise ronan is great, lovely cinematography ( i got a pretty old school feel from it), and it just works. Its not really ambitious, theres no existential marlarky, it just follows a group of people imprisioned for being 'people' escaping from a gulag in siberia and there long walk to india.

Deffo worth a watch.

6/10
  • warlockuk 22 Oct 2013 10:36:08 19,223 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @-cerberus- Now watch Singing in the rain.

Seriously. It's surprisingly good AND makes all other rom coms look like pale imitators.

Then go back even further and see Roman Holiday for the ultimate "Nothing new has been done in the last 60 years" experience
    I still rate Brief Encounter as the reason "romantic" films are all shit these days.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Grax 22 Oct 2013 10:50:45 2,296 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Warm bodies 80/100 really much better then I thought and guy from skins is actually quite a good little actor
  • TarickStonefire 22 Oct 2013 11:43:10 3,451 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Recent:
    Oblivion: 3/10. Good ships and CG, utterly ridiculous plot which makes no sense and has more holes than anything.

After Earth. 1/10. That's for the visuals; the rest of the film is a bunch of nonsensical bullshit.

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. 6/10. Surprisingly enjoyable, despite itself.
    Really liked Oblivion. Even with plot holes. 8/10

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Tonka 22 Oct 2013 12:01:28 21,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    I still rate Brief Encounter as the reason "romantic" films are all shit these days.
    Brief encounter you say? Never heard of it. Will make a note to see it ASAP

• Tonka 22 Oct 2013 12:02:48 21,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Really liked Oblivion. Even with plot holes. 8/10
    I'll see your like for Oblivion and raise you an "I found After Earth to be rather entertaining".

• nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 12:04:08 61,348 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You, sir, are the new Madder-Max.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Dougs 22 Oct 2013 12:52:03 69,539 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    The biggest flaw with the World War Z is the bit on the plane before the final chapter. Its the whole reason I gave it such a shite review. The plane doesnt get destroyed by the grenade, everyone on the plane seems to die except Brad Pitt and his friend. Also, isnt it a tad strange that they land in Wales, let alone land within walking distance of the small village that happens to be home to the exact research facility they were looking for. And thats just one of the major logical flaws of this movie. I can normally look past most illogical things in movies, but this film takes the biscuit!

World War Z is just complete crap.
    But that's where they were flying to? Not that it doesn't make for a much smaller polt hole but still

But yeah, distinctly average, was a bit bored. Zero character development for Brad, so why would we care what happens? Quite liked some of the swarms and the teeth gnashing though.

Edited by Dougs at 12:52:32 22-10-2013
  • beastmaster 22 Oct 2013 13:13:24 12,014 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Machete Kills - 7/10

I love the first film and this is more of the same, only slightly less gory and not quite as good.

Robert Rodriguez manages to get a pretty amazing cast together but most of the roles are brief cameos. It almost as though he tried to get as many friends of his as he could into the film. Amber Heard is most pleasing on the eyes too.

The plot is just totally bonkers and is all the more enjoyable for it.

The weakest part of the film was Mel Gibson as the baddie. He's a bit dull and boring. However, there's one scene where he's driving a car and the camera zooms into his eyes which was just pure Mad Max. That was a brilliant scene and makes me wish that his Mad Max film got made instead of the Tom Hardy one.

It's a fun watch and it really does well in setting itself up for another sequel. If it'll get made or not is a different story. It's not been out too long and it's already been pulled from most cinemas. There were a few people in there but that's probably because the AMC is the only place showing it and it's last day is tomorrow.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TechnoHippy 22 Oct 2013 15:27:28 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alice in Wonderland

This is probably my favourite Disney film, that's not to say that it's their best, but it's always a pleasure to watch this film. I'm a big fan of the book and the story in it's many guises over the years and while this is far from a faithful recreation of the story it is a magical film to watch.

For anyone who doesn't know the story, it is about Alice, a young girl who is bored by her studies and wishes herself into a land of nonsense, a wonderland. She follows a white rabbit into this strange place and the story is about her trying to catch the rabbit. Her adventures mean that she meets a range of unusual characters.

In some ways it lacks the quality of some of Disney's other big films, it has some weaker moments through the film, but the high points are pure gold. The tea party, painting the roses red and the walrus and the oysters all stand out as great moments, with some fun songs to go with them. It does mean that it can feel a little disconnected in places.

The whole film is filled with charm and does maintain some of the craziness of wonderland, although it does tone down some of the peril. Alice herself is interesting and well voiced as are the rest of the cast. A lovely film and one I'll continue to watch again and again.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 20:03:02
    田園に死す Pastoral: To die in the country (1974) Great stuff/10

I can't begin to describe this.

Edited by blacksea at 20:03:43 22-10-2013
  • Bremenacht 22 Oct 2013 20:51:15 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    The Way Back.

Decent. I read the book a while ago - the long walk a few years back and enjoyed it alot.

The movie is a pretty straight up , linear and honest adaptation of the book, and nothing more than that. It is has one big issue - the very first thing you see is 3 people surivived this walk - so it pretty much takes all tension out of the film. But what is there, is some solid performances, - soarise ronan is great, lovely cinematography ( i got a pretty old school feel from it), and it just works. Its not really ambitious, theres no existential marlarky, it just follows a group of people imprisioned for being 'people' escaping from a gulag in siberia and there long walk to india.

Deffo worth a watch.

6/10
    I think the biggest problem with it is the story itself, which had the ongoing development of a Mario game: they are in a snowy place; they are in a foresty place; they are in a deserty place. It looked good all the same, and had the calm pace (and repitition) you kinda expect from a Peter Weir film. So, that left the characters and they were great. Colin Farrell seemed perfect for his role. They were all excellent really.
  • beastmaster 22 Oct 2013 21:37:46 12,014 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thor reviews are coming in. 4 stars in Empire.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=137687

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Madder-Max 22 Oct 2013 23:39:14 11,689 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You, sir, are the new Madder-Max.
    Heh! I am really fucking tempted to watch After Earth! You all know it.

Edited by Madder-Max at 23:40:23 22-10-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• sirtacos 23 Oct 2013 11:41:56 7,378 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    World War Z

6/10

I'd go along with that; the final solution thingy they come up with surprises me in that it'd be the *first* thing you'd notice in a zombie apocalypse.
    With all the millions of terminally ill people and people with HIV and other things in the world you think they'd notice pretty early on that the people still standing all have a funny cough.
    6 is generous, but 5.5 seemed harsh, because of all the work the special effects people put into the movie. Also because the first thirty minutes kept me on the edge of my seat. Admittedly, I was high as a kite, but I fully credit the film for how tense I found the first few scenes.

Anyway, none of that matters because WWZ is derivative crap. It had some potential and it does have some nice touches, but mostly it's vague, beige cinematographic tofu. It's reminiscent of a Roland Emmerich film (2012) without the levity. It doesn't make sense and it's nearly impossible to connect to on a human level.

Edited by sirtacos at 11:53:04 23-10-2013
  • gooner77 23 Oct 2013 12:19:58 900 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka I like the bit where all the little aliens come out if the spaceship

/del boy
  • Page

of 2868 First / Last