Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2322

• Page

of 2587 First / Last

• Madder-Max 25 Aug 2013 17:11:53 11,566 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The debt - 7/10 - average spy espionagey thing that is done very well, decent story. The older version of 'wassisname from pacific rim' was not cast very well and he seemed unable to act but all in all, decent flick.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• -cerberus- 25 Aug 2013 17:37:37 2,095 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    blacksea wrote: and am I supposed to make sense of all this?
    Yes because, unlike David Lynch flicks, the movie explains itself quite well :lol:

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 25 Aug 2013 18:20:05 7,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daylight:

7/10

Edited by craigy at 18:21:47 25-08-2013
  • BinaryBob101 25 Aug 2013 19:07:25 21,966 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now, that's a doovde cover.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Kostabi 25 Aug 2013 19:13:48 4,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Klitschko - 7/10

Even as a barely casual boxing fan I enjoyed this. It says a lot about them when even the guys they knocked out still speak highly of them, and the docu paints them as remarkably humble and decent fellows.

Plenty of boxing footage and even a clip of some MPs trying to fight Vitali in the Ukraine parliament.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2013 20:56:57
    Sinister (2012) 5/10

Impressive DVD/Blu-ray cover (I watched the Blu-ray). Been meaning to watch this since itís release, and today I did, and boy is it so not worth it. Ridiculous is the best word to sum up Sinister. The actingís ok, picture quality is good, even if most of the film takes place inside a somewhat sparse house painted with blue walls.

I wasnít expecting gore, and I didnít get gore, the film is after all a 15. Horror comes in the form of making the viewer jump, that old trick.

I could be wrong, but there were things that ranged from ridiculous to not making sense:

1. Ellison (the lead male) takes a digital image from 16mm film source. The still shows a hint of a human face reflecting in a mirror. The mirror is very small in the middle of the image. Using his Apple laptop, he zooms into the face to reveal what amounts to a very clear hi-deff image of the face - how f-cking ridiculous.

2. The various murders are captured on 16mm film using an old camera, which is fine given the murders took place many years prior to the films setting, which is iPhone Apple laptop era. Quite where the grim reaper gets his 16mm developed is not revealed. Fast forward to the present day, where more murders happen, why hasnít the grim reaper upgraded to video or digital ?

3. Ellison (the lead male) falls through the ceiling (via the loft) making a lot of noise in the middle of the night. Neither his wife or his two kids come to help. Maybe they are deep sleepers ?

• captainrentboy 25 Aug 2013 21:11:19 840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jurassic Park Imax 3D - 95%
    It's Jurassic Park, really big, really loud and with a pretty good 3D conversion.
    Even 20 yrs on,it's still one of the best examples of how to do a fantastic summer blockbuster movie.
    IMO the initial T-Rex attack, back up there on the big screen, still managed to be a more effective set piece than almost any other sequence I saw this year at the cinema.
  • vijay_UK 25 Aug 2013 21:36:09 1,670 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Jurassic Park Imax 3D - 95%
    It's Jurassic Park, really big, really loud and with a pretty good 3D conversion.
    Even 20 yrs on,it's still one of the best examples of how to do a fantastic summer blockbuster movie.
    IMO the initial T-Rex attack, back up there on the big screen, still managed to be a more effective set piece than almost any other sequence I saw this year at the cinema.
    I'm glad it'd turned out well, I have good memories watching that way back in 1993.

I friend called me up early one Saturday morning and said he had press screening tickets, and I jumped ofc as the media build up for the movie was immense. Had a great time, a highly entertaining film and now I want to go watch the 3D. I hope the T-Rex in the jeep's mirror is as crazy as I hope...
  • beastmaster 25 Aug 2013 21:42:42 10,176 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm...must be my eyes. I thought the conversion was one of the worst I've ever seen.

As for the scenes though, if you "get on" with the conversion, although the T-Rex scenes will probably impress, it's the Raptor scenes were better.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• FatsoJetson 25 Aug 2013 22:06:55 302 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sightseers

Didn't get on the director's previous, but I really enjoyed this. Some very funny lines and characters, and a story that doesn't outstay it's welcome - nor does it go off on a weird mad tangent like Kill List.

Have both Down Terrace and A Field In England on my rental list and looking forward to both - although I'm not sure that I'll enjoy them.

As for Sightseers, I'll give it an 85/100

Edited by FatsoJetson at 22:07:10 25-08-2013
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 25 Aug 2013 22:23:36 7,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beyond A Reasonable Doubt: 3/10
  • captainrentboy 25 Aug 2013 22:31:41 840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Hmm...must be my eyes. I thought the conversion was one of the worst I've ever seen.

As for the scenes though, if you "get on" with the conversion, although the T-Rex scenes will probably impress, it's the Raptor scenes were better.
    Had a quick nosey through a few reviews from some of the bigger movie websites and mags, and the general verdict seems to be that it's a very good post conversion, infact most of them seem far more impressed than I was.
    What did you find so awful? Bar the odd occasion of the 'pop up book' effect, I thought they did an alright job. No ghosting, no headaches, I could still make out everything in the dark scenes, and there was a decent sense of depth now and again.
  • Trowel 25 Aug 2013 23:12:55 16,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Beyond A Reasonable Doubt: 3/10
    Original or the remake? Assume it's the remake...
  • beastmaster 25 Aug 2013 23:17:14 10,176 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just didn't get any of the things you mentioned. I've never had this kind of problem before though. I wrote what I thought of it a page or two back.

It could have been that the projection was out of focus or even the glasses but the opening bit where they do the 3D countdown to the film was crystal clear. It wasn't just me that didn't think much of it though. My mate though the conversion was terrible and there were other people grumbling on the way out. I also found that the quality varied within the same scenes.

That's just the experience I had and that shouldn't put anyone off giving it a go. If you don't have the same problems I did, then I'm sure it'll be amazing.

They're also doing The Wizard of Oz a bit later in the year in the 3D IMAX. I would love to see this on the big screen and I hope they don't do IMAX only. I'll still probably go and see it though.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• LionheartDJH 25 Aug 2013 23:31:50 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gangster Squad - 6/10

More OTT than I was expecting and definitely style over substance but entertaining enough. I thought the bad guy was the highlight, at least until he goes full cartoon villain towards the end.

Phantom - 6/10

The second worst submarine movie I've seen (after U-571), but still decent. Requires more than the usual suspension of disbelief but Ed Harris does a solid job in the lead, even if David Duchovny is doing his best Keanu Reeves impersonation.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Gruff 25 Aug 2013 23:57:12 2,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rolling Thunder 7/10 I had never seen this 70's film before, but it was very watchable, and has not dated badly at all.Terrific performances from a great cast, especially Linda Haynes. She quit the movie industry a few years after this, dunno why, she shines throughout this.

ďIt's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.Ē
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Deleted user 26 August 2013 00:15:09
    Finally sat through the whole of Range 5/10

It wasnt very good. The animation was impressive, but crude and ugly. The story was shit. Voice acting forgettable and just general animated shenanigans not very memorable. Music was good though.
  • Robot_Chubby 26 Aug 2013 01:20:33 260 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Jacobís Ladder (1990) -/10

Hmm..

Well made, not exactly gripping. Itís the type of film that simply makes the viewer wonder whatís going on, and why, and am I supposed to make sense of all this?
    I really liked this movie, and am long overdue a rewatch.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 26 Aug 2013 01:26:18 11,118 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @blacksea: Jacob's Ladder makes complete fucking sense. Trying watching it again...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Pynchon 26 Aug 2013 01:31:19 114 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    @blacksea: Jacob's Ladder makes complete fucking sense. Trying watching it again...
    This.

It's one of the great films of the 90's and if you didn't get it the first time repeat viewings are incredibly rewarding.

I have to watch it again now, it's been years.
  • BinaryBob101 26 Aug 2013 01:58:46 21,966 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He had problems understanding Oldboy too.

Maybe spend more time trying to fathom the film, rather than staring at dvd covers.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• -cerberus- 26 Aug 2013 06:37:46 2,095 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    blacksea, The one character you should pay close attention to is the doctor. Everything will fall into place. ;)

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 26 August 2013 07:02:32
    -cerberus- wrote:
    blacksea, The one character you should pay close attention to is the doctor. Everything will fall into place. ;)
    The ending does explain all. It is a film that requires a re watch or two, maybe three. The next time i watch it, i will focus on the doctor.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 26 Aug 2013 07:27:33 11,118 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yay, forum in reasonable discussion with happy ending shocker! Good man blacksea...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• boo 26 Aug 2013 10:16:23 11,604 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

84/100

Pinnacle of the filmmakers art it ain't, but I have to confess a love of this sort of thing. Michael Cera seems to do a bunch of them (this, Juno, Scott Pilgrim). They have their roots in things like Pretty In Pink, and one of my all time faves, Some Kind Of Wonderful.

Michael Cera is Michael Cera, Kat Dennings is gorgeous, the three guys in The Jerkoffs practically steal the show, but main credit has to go to the soundtrack and ultimately, New York at night.

Summary - 20 something rom-com, set over one night in NYC, where a bunch of friends try and track down a secret gig.

Just Another Lego Blog

• bad09 26 Aug 2013 14:04:25 5,504 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iron Sky

Nazis come back from 40 odd years hiding on the moon to invade Earth, When I first heard of this I wasn't sure if was the dumbest or smartest film idea ever. Now I've watched it is certainly the former.

Just awful, terrible film that goes far too far in not taking itself seriously. Ironically it could have actually been a brilliant and silly film if they tried to play straighter but the forced silliness within the film overshadows the insane premise by a massive amount and as a result it's just not funny, it's almost like they got cold feet with the nazi plot and tried too hard to make a silly comedy spoof so not too offend but it doesn't pull it off in any meaningful way. Fairly good CGI amazingly, but that just makes you want a better invasion film and the over-silliness of the rest of the film all the more harder to swallow.

Best thing in the film though was a Downfall meme tribute which I didn't expect and cracked up at, that adds a few percent but the premise could have been so much more than a really awful and mostly unfunny comedy.

25%
  • boo 26 Aug 2013 14:11:02 11,604 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What???

Iron Sky was hilarious! Mind you, I went in with low expectations and it completely exceeded them. If you were hoping for something on a par with a studio production, you were always going to be disappointed.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Mola_Ram 26 Aug 2013 14:13:49 6,230 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think they must have had less money to play with than they thought they'd have, and thus had to include the comic filler in place of SFX-heavy sci-fi. Or they just ran out of ideas beyond "Moon Nazis! LOL!"
  • JYM60 26 Aug 2013 14:23:41 16,755 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    Yay, forum in reasonable discussion with happy ending shocker! Good man blacksea...
    Cunt.

I didn't think Iron Sky was great, but better than 25%.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Page

of 2587 First / Last