Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2277

• Page

of 2867 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 20 Jul 2013 18:40:30 35,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet You seem to like Drive (so did I), yet everything you write about Only God Forgives sounds exactly (bar the plot) like what those who hated Drive said about that one.

Which confuses me.
  • oldschoolsoviet 20 Jul 2013 18:57:44 5,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @UncleLou

Drive worked. It had just the right amount of ingredients, the music, the style, a sensible plot (by comparison) and characters you could like and support, despite their actions.

OGF feels like he's (Refn) being deliberately obtuse, taking it waaay too arty for the sake of it. So there's dark ponderous techno (bar the 90's bossfight tune during one scene) that's just noise, the seen-it-all-before moody lighting, a paperthin plot with cringe-inducing dialogue, and a cast so empty and devoid of character (not to mention nuts) that you don't care about anybody or anything.

Kirsten Scott Thomas is possibly the only highlight, Gosling has something like five lines, and the less said about the dream sequences the better.......Ninety minutes felt like three hours despite it's loose structure. That's just not working for me.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Jul 2013 20:38:38 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snow White and the Huntsman

An excellent retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. The tone is more that of a fantasy adventure, but it still maintains the magic of a fairy tale. It has all the requisite components, the fair damsel, the hero, the evil step-mother. Although I did disagree with the mirror, Snow White wasn't the fairest in the land, but no matter :-)

The story differs in many details, but that makes it a more interesting narrative. The story starts with Snow White as a child, her father, the king rides to meet an army of darkness (who are pretty cool by the way) and in defeating them rescues a young woman. The young woman is of course the evil step mother, who murders the king and seizes the kingdom.

To say more would spoil the story, I have to admit I wasn't greatly convinced at the start, it was ok, a fun watch, but nothing more. Once the hunt begins it improves rapidly and ends as a cracking film. Everyone plays their part well and there's some great characters in there. The dwarves stood out for me, much better than those in the hobbit. The glass shard beasts are also very cool.

All in all this is a fun adventure, filled with magical moments and well worth a watch.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• craigy Staff 20 Jul 2013 20:54:13 7,847 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @UncleLou I've heard from a few people who attended the London Q&A screening a few weeks ago that it's deliberately obtuse and not a particularly enjoyable film. Still really keen to see it, though!
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Jul 2013 21:26:48 35,855 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet @craigy That doesn't sound too good, but yes, I'll have to find out for myself as well, I guess!
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 20 Jul 2013 22:14:49 2,459 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fast and Furious 6. 2/10

Some good action and not a lot of shite racing. Tang vs Tank made me look away...refuse to watch a Tang get totaled. (Still not seen Elennor get crushed despite watching 60s several times).

The action was over the top of the top of the top and utterly ridiculous, but then that's what I was expecting.

The plot made no sense in any way, shape or form at any point throughout the entire film. Every single major decision or choice was utterly against common sense and sometimes character. For these sort of films you have to let the makers have a little artistic licence, but fuck me F&F6 takes the serious piss outa artistic license.

And what was it all over? Fuck knows. Some billion dollar chip or summin.

Actors were all shite...Aw fuck it - it was all shite, really.
    A 2 for some sweet cars and a few good gags.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• askew 20 Jul 2013 22:27:36 12,729 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @UncleLou I've heard from a few people who attended the London Q&A screening a few weeks ago that it's deliberately obtuse and not a particularly enjoyable film. Still really keen to see it, though!
    Sounds like its veering more towards Valhalla Rising than Drive.

Out in August over here, right?
  • Tom_Servo 20 Jul 2013 23:32:19 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dredd - 1/10

Cheap looking garbage. One point for Cersei out of Game of Thrones chewing the scenery in an enjoyable fashion.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Jul 2013 00:35:19 8,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh no you didn't.

(I agree, although I didn't think it was *that* bad)
  • vijay_UK 21 Jul 2013 00:44:41 2,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Severance - 7/10

What can I say - Danny Dyer's finest hour and a half.

Worth catching on iPlayer for a bit of gory fun.

Edited by vijay_UK at 08:04:38 21-07-2013
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 06:59:31
    Alice In The Cities (1974) 8/10

German journalist Philip Winter (Rüdiger Vogler) has writer's block while trying to write an article. He returns to Germany. While booking his flight, meets a German woman (Lisa Kreuzer) and her daughter Alice (Yella Rottländer). The three become friends, the mother asks Winter to mind Alice temporarily. It soon becomes apparent that Alice will be his responsibility for longer than he expected. On returning to Europe, Alice mothers fails to show. Winter and Alice travel through various European cities on a quest for Alice's grandmother.

Rüdiger Vogler, Yella Rottländer and Lisa Kreuzer are good actors/actresses. A number of cast are wooden at best. The black and white picture quality isn’t great. That said, the story is 100% original. There is a great scene that shows what I can only describe as a sky tram.

The bonus material, an interview with Director Wim Wenders, is interesting. Seems he was affected by The Scarlet Letter, admitting he only enjoyed 30 minutes of the entire 6 week shoot, and that 30 minutes happened to be a single scene which would inspire Alice In The Cities.

• Kosmoz 21 Jul 2013 08:29:16 7,770 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watchmen was on film 4 earlier. It was good.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• tuff 21 Jul 2013 08:38:50 629 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Argo

Fantastic film and the finale had me gripped to my seat.
  • drhcnip 21 Jul 2013 09:29:56 2,665 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    livid

really enjoyed this, though it was 10 seconds too long....;)

8/10

must hunt down 'inside' now....

Edited by drhcnip at 09:30:57 21-07-2013
  • tuff 21 Jul 2013 09:35:25 629 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is 40
    60%

It passed the time.
  • urban 21 Jul 2013 09:53:28 11,070 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The World's End - 73%
  • captainrentboy 21 Jul 2013 11:18:07 1,107 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The World's End - 85%
    Enjoyed it just as much as the other 2 from the cornetto trilogy, if not a little bit more than Hot Fuzz on the first watch.
    Worked just as well as a sci-fi flick as it did a comedy, it got a couple of huge laughs from the audience I was with.(Nick Frost was once again the highlight for me) I was surprised that so many reviews said it was a fairly radical change in tone for the three of them, I didn't really see it. :/
    The couple of pubs that do result in fairly lengthy 'bar fights' had some fantastic choreography throughout those scenes too.
    Definitely worth a gander if you're a fan of their previous stuff.

Edited by captainrentboy at 12:30:17 21-07-2013
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 12:03:07
    drhcnip wrote:
    livid

really enjoyed this, though it was 10 seconds too long....;)

8/10

must hunt down 'inside' now....
    I thought Livid was just ok, and haven't found the urge to watch it a 2nd time.

Edited by blacksea at 12:03:48 21-07-2013
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 17:33:29
    Pacific Rim

What I expected. Lots of flaws that I'll happily overlook for the robot monster smackdowns. Looked amazing, great Kaiju and jaeger designs.

85%

Sharknado

Has to be seen. It's just a terrible film by every conceivable standard.

10% or 100% if you're drinking and watching it with mates. You'll never laugh so hard again.

Aliens (blu ray)

Still looks fucking immense. Sounds immense and is immense after so many years.

100%
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jul 2013 18:15:50 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Skew

Skew is a horror film about three friends that go on a road trip together. One of them has a camera and insists on filming throughout the trip. He sees some strange things with the camera and terrible events follow in their wake.

I quite liked it, although I can't say that it's a great film. The main issue for me was that the main characters aren't really that likeable, so maybe I was just hoping that something awful would happen to them. That aside the story progresses quite well, it's well paced. It doesn't rely on gore, which is a plus in my book and has a few creepy moments.

Overall, it's ok, worth a rental, or picking up cheap. It doesn't set any new standards, but is reasonably entertaining.

6/10

• Deleted user 21 July 2013 18:30:21
    @blacksea i have alice in the cities in my to watch pile, its been there for a good year and a half! will eventually get round to it.
  • drhcnip 21 Jul 2013 18:40:03 2,665 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Skew

Skew is a horror film about three friends that go on a road trip together. One of them has a camera and insists on filming throughout the trip. He sees some strange things with the camera and terrible events follow in their wake.

I quite liked it, although I can't say that it's a great film. The main issue for me was that the main characters aren't really that likeable, so maybe I was just hoping that something awful would happen to them. That aside the story progresses quite well, it's well paced. It doesn't rely on gore, which is a plus in my book and has a few creepy moments.

Overall, it's ok, worth a rental, or picking up cheap. It doesn't set any new standards, but is reasonably entertaining.

6/10
    decent enough film, that, & is only 3 quid in tesco or can be bought as part of a horror 3 disc set, also for 3 quid....
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 18:50:44
    Chernobyl Diaries (2012) 6.5/10

Ok, expected more. The bear scene was excellent. One of the characters ends with much radiaton damage to their skin, but their eye’s are fine? The ending left me thinking not much.

The film reminded me of playing various games:

Locate missing person (follow blood trail)
    Search building (follow blood trail)
    Find person (person dead)
    Search person (find (gun) clip on dead person)
    Find Gun (merge gun + clip)
    Enemy appears (find room exit, use gun to defend)
    Exit room - into Alleyway (obstacle in way)
    Move obstacle (run down alley - return to bus)

Bus won’t start (leads damaged)
    Exit Bus and arm one’s self with Crowbar/Wheel wrench
    Locate abandoned vehicle area (find replacement leads)
    Return to Bus (use Geiger counter to avoid radiation zones (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
    Bus been overturned (find new solution)

Location dark (use torch)
    Follow scream (to locate missing person)
    Enemy approaches (use ladder to exit)
    Many enemies approach (enter room and close big door)
    Big door won’t shift (use more than one person to close big door (Uncharted 2)
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 18:53:07
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Skew

6/10
    Skew scared the crap out me at times. I think I *got it* at the end.
    It's only £3 in Tesco's at the moment.

Edited by blacksea at 21:29:51 21-07-2013
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jul 2013 19:33:52 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deathwatch

Deathwatch is an excellent horror film. It's set during World War 1 (a neglected war for film in my opinion) and a British unit attacks the German trenches. During the attack some of the soldiers get lost and discover a mysterious trench in no man's land. There they discover a horror greater than the war they've already endured.

I enjoyed watching this a lot, it's a very visceral horror, but includes sinister in its repertoire as well. It starts from the awfulness of going over the top and just keeps building from there. I'll admit that there's some dodgy acting in there, but that doesn't diminish how much fun the film is.

There's an interesting mix of characters in there, who react to the horror in different ways. The mud and filth is a horrible setting in its own right and serves as a perfect backdrop for the film. This is well worth checking out if you like your horror films.

8/10

• TechnoHippy 21 Jul 2013 19:34:45 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @blacksea

It's worth £3, that's what I paid for it in the same place :-)

• Deleted user 21 July 2013 21:10:04
    Haywire.

Basically Bourne with a female protagonist. Gritty, realistic fight scenes but an otherwise by-the-numbers if not slightly vague plot.

65%

Taxi Driver.

Thought it was about time I watched this having never seen it before. Not really sure what to make of it. The dramatic, brooding tension and slow build-up was somewhat ruined by the dated special effects and editing the final shoot out. Also, I'm sure there's something symbolic about the repeated saxophone but it started to grate toward the end.

The HD rip I watched was glorious, though. Was kinda spooky seeing such detail on such an old film.

75%
  • Deleted user 21 July 2013 21:29:13
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    @blacksea

It's worth £3, that's what I paid for it in the same place :-)
    It's def worth £3 for sure. Is the guy with the camera the killer? - as I thought he was..
  • Page

of 2867 First / Last