Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2219

• Page

of 2861 First / Last

• oldschoolsoviet 5 May 2013 13:36:07 5,548 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Place Beyond The Pines - 8/10

Just finished it, just loved it, to throw the proverbial cat in. Okay, a bit slow, but an entertaining cross-generational tale about choices and repercussions, father/son relationships, and closeted skeletons coming back. If you go in with expectations of what it'll be, you're doomed from the start.

It's perfectly suited to a lazy Sunday in bed, definitely see how it would drag in cinema, and the question of whether RG can play owt but emotionally inept/immature characters still stands.

Others from the week:

42 - 6/10
    Story of Jackie Robinson, first black player recruited into MLB by the Dodgers, with Harrison Ford growling his way through a new larynx. S'okay, typical sports drama/bio with usual themes of fighting against the racism/prejudice.

Iron Man 3 - yawn/10
    I'm no superhero fan, but fired this on in the background. My only question for Hollywood producers is why they continue to persist with faux tension and drama ? We know that everything will turn out okay, and they merely introduce boredom rather than intrigue. Compared to the deluge of cable TV that'll kill indiscriminately, major character or not, it's just too flat I'm afraid.......
  • CharlieStCloud 5 May 2013 13:45:01 5,508 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Iron Man 3 - yawn/10
    I'm no superhero fan, but fired this on in the background.
    Nice (!)
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 May 2013 14:00:27 5,548 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mate loves his Marvel superhero stuff, me, not so much.
  • CharlieStCloud 5 May 2013 14:35:22 5,508 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Mate loves his Marvel superhero stuff, me, not so much.
    Fair enough.

Just annoyed me the other day when I spoke to my friends brother about Iron Man 3 ... he thoroughly enjoyed and likes his comic book films.

It was then I asked him if he saw it in 3D or a traditional screening:

"Nah, I just watched it on my computer."

So ... yeah.

Sorry if I bothered you though.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 14:50:26
    Problem is with Iron man its now just Tony Stark angst followed by a quick showdown with a random new baddie.

Rinse and repeat.

After 3 films Iron Man has nowhere to go.

Plus could you ever reboot it..............Downey Jr will forever be Tony Stark
  • HarryPalmer 5 May 2013 15:23:05 3,582 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Blaketown - My stance is that just because something is about horror tropes, doesn't mean it has to be scary, to me it was a satire.

I don't really find most horror films scary tbh, but I enjoyed the writing in this so much, it was ridiculous fun. Each to their own.
  • sirtacos 5 May 2013 15:48:00 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As far as I see it, Cabin in the Woods was never meant to deliver scares. It's supposed to mislead you, then go off on a crazy tangent and follow it through to its ridiculous conclusion, spoofing all manner of shit along the way.
    It's playful, it has a wry sense of humour, and it commits to its shtick. All of which is helped along by snappy writing. I loved it.
  • sirtacos 5 May 2013 15:54:43 7,378 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair enough.

Speaking of non-scary movie tangents, did anyone else think, while watching Event Horizon, that it was all some sort of big meta joke? It's not even a case of 'so bad it's good' - I was completely convinced that it was an elaborate prank on the viewer, one I didn't really understand but nevertheless found hilarious.

Edited by sirtacos at 15:57:16 05-05-2013
  • RobTheBuilder 5 May 2013 16:12:17 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Goodfella I really liked it. Especially how it took each cliche and blew them apart before heading to a point where there can never be a sequel.
  • chopsen 5 May 2013 16:26:21 16,281 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    @Blaketown - My stance is that just because something is about horror tropes, doesn't mean it has to be scary, to me it was a satire.
    Yeah, this is my argument, which I've had in this very thread before. Possibly more than once. It does seem to polarise people though, and it's one of those things that people *fundamentally* don't want shift their opinion on. People just not liking it because it's not their thing, fair enough, but a lot of the way the criticism is articulated makes me think some people were watching it in a very different context to me.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 May 2013 16:38:14 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Chopsen totally agreed. I think if you know Joss Whedon before you watch it you'd appreciate the satire more. If you go in expecting straight horror you'd probably not get it.
  • TechnoHippy 5 May 2013 17:07:00 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Crow: Salvation

Not bad, but not a patch on the original.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• khaz 5 May 2013 17:44:59 2,826 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    In my opinion, this is how the Marvel movies rank in order of greatness (best to worst):

X-Men > Spiderman 1 > X-Men 2 > Spiderman 3 > Wolverine > X-Men 3 > Iron Man > Captain America > X-Men First Class > Avengers Assemble > Thor > Iron Man 2

I haven't seen any of The Hulk movies. His character was utterly retarded in the Avengers movie, so I feel no inclination to waste around 4 hours of my life watching the 2 Hulk films.
    That you even have the pure shite that is Spidey 3 and X-Men 3 in there makes this list null and void.
  • BinaryBob101 5 May 2013 17:59:34 24,407 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, he has no idea...

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• mal 5 May 2013 18:03:15 22,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    In my opinion, this is how the Marvel movies rank in order of greatness (best to worst):

X-Men > Spiderman 1 > X-Men 2 > Spiderman 3 > Wolverine > X-Men 3 > Iron Man > Captain America > X-Men First Class > Avengers Assemble > Thor > Iron Man 2

I haven't seen any of The Hulk movies. His character was utterly retarded in the Avengers movie, so I feel no inclination to waste around 4 hours of my life watching the 2 Hulk films.
    Hmm, of your list I've only managed to see films in the bottom half, but from what I've seen, I agree (First Class clearly better than Avengers or Iron Man 2). The Bana Hulk and Norton Hulk are both more interesting characters than Ruffalo's Hulk IMO, but both films most definitely have their flaws.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 5 May 2013 18:14:43
    That Wolverine is on the list makes me question it most. That was one of the worst action films I've seen, let alone Superhero or Marvel.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 May 2013 18:18:13 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xmen was great, wolverine and xmen 3 were rubbish.

I enjoyed Avengers a lot more than Hulk or Captain America, not seen Thor or Iron Man films.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 18:19:07
    To have Spidey 3 so high is also quite worrying.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2013 18:26:57
    Spidey 2 isn't even on the list, and that was the best one of the trilogy.
  • Blaketown 5 May 2013 18:57:40 4,950 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Yeah, this is my argument, which I've had in this very thread before. Possibly more than once. It does seem to polarise people though, and it's one of those things that people *fundamentally* don't want shift their opinion on. People just not liking it because it's not their thing, fair enough, but a lot of the way the criticism is articulated makes me think some people were watching it in a very different context to me.
    Never said I didn't like it. It's great. Script is brilliant, it's great fun.

It's just it's a pretty well worn path, the horror pastiche and there are so many films that have done it better that I feel the unreserved praise is a bit much.

Or, you know, I "didn't get it". That's always a winner.

Edited by Blaketown at 18:59:20 05-05-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Dgzter 5 May 2013 19:01:13 225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Numbers Station - 7/10
    It was a reasonably predictable story, but the script was very tight. Everything made sense, everything of relevance was sutiably referenced beforehand, and the characters' personalities and developments all came off as believable and realistic. It never really did more than what it said on the tin, but I thought the director did well with a small set (RAF bunker in Suffolk) and John Cusack's performance was quite thoughtful.

The Expatriate - 3/10
    Woeful, generic and utterly uninspired action thriller with Aaron Eckhart. Ex-CIA Black ops, yada yada yada, you've heard it all before. I watched it to the end, as it was reasonably short, and there was at least one set piece in there that I genuinely liked, but really this is something to throw on in the background while you're cooking or gaming or whatever.

Edited by Dgzter at 19:01:48 05-05-2013

Edited by Dgzter at 19:02:24 05-05-2013
  • disusedgenius 5 May 2013 19:19:40 5,609 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Spidey 2 isn't even on the list, and that was the best one of the trilogy.
    ...and even then it was pretty crap.
  • Madder-Max 5 May 2013 19:29:44 11,687 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Graveland wrote:

I knoiw what he's done. The list is back to front! Obviously!!! Right? If not then he has no right to ever comment on anything ever again.

Ang lees hulk is is the best, up until that shtoopid ending. The other one is alright and a good romp.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• b0rk 5 May 2013 20:41:50 2,942 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Avengers is the most fun and rewatchable of the lot, Thor is great Wolverine is perfectly fine and Iron Man 2 is utter shit.

just my 2p
  • Kilters 5 May 2013 21:18:50 579 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pain & Gain
    1/10
    Michael Bay needs somef therapy. remember the inexplicable part in transformers 2 with John Malkovitch tickling a transformer? The whole movie is a reenactment of this nonsensical shit.
  • tuff 5 May 2013 22:07:42 628 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    Wank / 10

Maybe I missed the point.
  • FWB 5 May 2013 22:10:37 45,574 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Won't watch anything from Bay again. Given him enough chances to not produce something shit.
  • Page

of 2861 First / Last