Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2163

• Page

of 2705 First / Last

• Blotto 17 Mar 2013 00:04:12 2,712 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, when the credits rolled on Legacy I was like "Wait, what? Seriously?". It was like an ad break moment, not an ending at all.
  • Lotos8ter 17 Mar 2013 06:16:53 2,352 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Maturin - yeah, great film. Always love the song too....

You've reminded me that I need to get hold of a copy of Frequency with Dennis Quaid. Probably one of the most underated films ever. EVER

Fiat Lux

• dominalien 17 Mar 2013 08:09:59 6,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Frequency is trully excellent.

PSN: DonOsito

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 17 Mar 2013 09:54:46 2,431 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The boys chose two films to watch yesterday...
    Star Trek (2009) 7/10.
    Decent remake. Plot was a bit wank, really. But the boys liked it. Think its success is due to a great cast (except Pegg). Could have done with more lense flare.
    Tron Legacy 7/10.
    Beautiful to look at and one of the best soundtracks in a film (Drive being my personal fave). No idea what was going on, again a wank plot. But a good film.

And I watched one of my guilty pleasures the other night...
    Grosse Pointe Blank 9/10
    Not even sure why I love this film, really. Just a personal fave, always has been. Just love the idea for the plot. Good script.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Trowel 17 Mar 2013 10:04:31 17,429 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killing Them Softly 5/10

A real disappointment - a plodding and shallow story, no chemistry between the characters, and a heavyweight cast completely wasted ("Great, James Gandolfini's finally here to get things going... Wait, where did he go?"). Felt as though the director spent too much time trying to emulate aspects of other movies rather than leaving his own mark - as far as an 'economic satire' goes I think Aladdin was better.
  • Rodney 17 Mar 2013 10:19:38 1,847 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Grey

I didn't know much about this film but I knew it was fairly polarising. I thought it was great. Well drawn characters, beautifully shot, edge of your seat tension and, I think, quite poignant in places. The philosophising wasn't exactly subtle but I thought it was handled fairly well. The ending really stayed with me and I thought about it quite a bit afterwards Ė I donít think they could have ended it any other way but I can see how some people found it unsatisfying.

There were some glaring plot holes, it sometimes verged into melodrama, some of the characterís decisions didnít make a lot of sense and it was maybe 30 minutes too long but if you can get past these faults itís a solid and suspenseful film.

8/10
  • craigy Staff 17 Mar 2013 12:08:00 7,521 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fracture: 7/10
  • Deckard1 17 Mar 2013 12:33:59 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gross Pointe Blank isn't a guilty pleasure! It's great.
  • creepylizard 17 Mar 2013 12:36:25 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It is. Apart from whatshersnames enormous head
  • Vortex808 17 Mar 2013 13:05:52 6,944 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    This.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Mar 2013 13:10:09 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Victim

It's ok, the ending amused me.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dougs 17 Mar 2013 13:13:20 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If is ace. Gets at least a yearly watch in our house.

The Best exotic Marigold hotel - 7/10. Exactly what you expect when you see the cast and doesn't do anything particularly special, but is solid with a couple of funny moments. Avoided being overly schmaltzy. Maggie Smith is again ace, as is Judy Dench. Depends if you like films like this though.
  • Khanivor 17 Mar 2013 13:38:37 40,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It's one of those movies by which I rate other people's good taste and their general success as a human being.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Mar 2013 14:32:04 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stigmata

An interesting take on possession with some church politics thrown in for good measure. And I always like watching Gabriel Byrne in action.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Khanivor 17 Mar 2013 15:06:14 40,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wreck It Ralph - 6/10

A missed opportunity.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - 7/10

I loved the way this film was edited so as to fill up with story and to create a sense of mild disruption. Lots of great actors and a fine score only let down by a lacking of peril.

Looper - 9/10

Fucking great sci-fi with deep characterization. Major kudos for not shying away from the risky and a wonderful sense of the future. The real future, not Johannesburg with firecans. The wee kid was phenomenal and the ending a real treat. Can't really fault it and Old Seth's literal downfall will surely be a classic scene.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 17 Mar 2013 15:14:02 2,431 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It's one of those movies by which I rate other people's good taste and their general success as a human being.
    Along with Leon it's one of my favorite films.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Deleted user 17 March 2013 19:41:34
    Snowtown (2011) hmmm.. very grim/10

ďONE OF THE BEST & MOST BRUTAL FILMS OF THE TEARĒ LOVEFILM

Best isnít a word Iíd use to describe Snowtown - Grim springs to mind.

The film makers have done a grand job of depicting the grim side of Australia, a grim set of events. Itís proper depressing stuff, from the moment the film starts to the moment the film ends. All 115 minutes of it are grim. About half way through I started to feel nauseous.

I picked up Snowtown second hand, Iíll probably sell it, as I canít imagine ever wanting to watch it again.

What happens to the bloke at the end, as I didnít fully get why he was there, in the building with the computers and stuff. Did I miss something?
  • Deckard1 17 Mar 2013 19:50:29 27,143 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    About half an hour into Life Of Pi at the minute. Is it all about god bothering shit, as it's close to being switched off.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Mar 2013 19:55:01 14,393 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looper
    It was ok, nothing more. I'm going to say 65%

The Grey
    Enjoyed. 80%

The Football factory
    A Cunting 50% at fuckin' best you muppets/slags

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• spindle9988 17 Mar 2013 20:00:28 3,492 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Deckard1
    Keep going, it gets better
  • Blaketown 17 Mar 2013 21:14:10 4,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The first 20 minutes & last 20 minutes of Life Of Pi come very close to ruining the whole thing.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• thelzdking 17 Mar 2013 23:40:12 4,316 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Little Man - Unrateable/10

A midget criminal poses as a foundling to infiltrate a family after he botches a robbery. The continuity announcer declared it to be 'quite a thing'; she's wasn't wrong.
  • Tonka 18 Mar 2013 06:40:59 20,011 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haywire
    This film does one thing I've never seen before. It's a magical scene somewhere around the 2/3rds mark.

Other than that there's nothing new. But that's not bad, it just stops the film from being memorable. As it is it servers as a perfect end to a lazy sunday. Just enough plot, action and spook country speek to make it good enough. But nothing to push it past that.

Bonus points for keeping it at 90minutes.

worth watching

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 18 Mar 2013 09:08:55 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dictator - I was pissed when I watched this, so enjoyed it rather a lot. Its *exactly* as you would expect a SBC movie to be, one part politics to 10 parts sex jokes and, thankfully, most of the jokes work.

8/10*

*this is a drunk rating. YMMV while sober

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• GuiltySpark 18 Mar 2013 09:21:37 6,320 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blade Runner: Final Cut

8/10

I love the neo/tech-noir aesthetic, and this film does it perfectly.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 18 Mar 2013 09:22:34 6,320 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also watched some of King Kong (2005) last night on TV, I'm surprised how bad it looked. I remember it looking pretty decent when I first saw it.

Get bent.

• sirtacos 18 Mar 2013 13:06:28 7,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Snowtown (2011) hmmm.. very grim/10

ďONE OF THE BEST & MOST BRUTAL FILMS OF THE TEARĒ LOVEFILM

Best isnít a word Iíd use to describe Snowtown - Grim springs to mind.

The film makers have done a grand job of depicting the grim side of Australia, a grim set of events. Itís proper depressing stuff, from the moment the film starts to the moment the film ends. All 115 minutes of it are grim. About half way through I started to feel nauseous.

I picked up Snowtown second hand, Iíll probably sell it, as I canít imagine ever wanting to watch it again.

What happens to the bloke at the end, as I didnít fully get why he was there, in the building with the computers and stuff. Did I miss something?
    The bloke at the end is the protagonist's step-brother.
    John Bunting has wanted to kill him for a long time (because John Bunting is an arsehole). Earlier in the film - at the beach - John tells a reluctant Mr. Protagonist to lure his step-brother into town in order to sell him a used computer for $200. The computer does not exist! It is a dastardly ruse! The half-brother, seduced by the promise of cheap personal computing, willingly follows Mr. Protagonist into the disused bank. Once there, they sit down and have a nice cup of tea. WITH MURDER CRUMPETS

Incidentally, my playful tone belies the horror I feel. The disused bank shown in the film is the actual murderbank where Buntcunt & Co stored their victims' remains.

Edited by sirtacos at 13:18:03 18-03-2013
  • Mola_Ram 18 Mar 2013 13:14:15 6,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, the bank vault is where they famously stored all the bodies. That's why they were called the Snowtown Murders even though most didn't happen in Snowtown.

And it's definitely one of the best films I've seen from Australia in a while. Grim, sure, but it's supposed to be grim. And the lead performance is absolutely mesmerising.
  • beastmaster 18 Mar 2013 13:32:23 11,168 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Lady Vanishes (1979) - 7/10

The cast is superb for this. Elliott Gould, Cybill Shepherd, Angela Lansbury and the always excellent Herbert Lom are all brilliant, as is everyone else for that matter.

It's got a superb story so you can't really go wrong with that either. I forgot how stunningly beautiful Cybill Shepherd was. Wowzers!

The new BBC adap was also on yesterday which I've recorded and started to watch. Looks like it could be pretty decent.

Kept thinking Lom would yell out "Clouseau!!" at any point. Want to watch The Pink Panther films again.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Mola_Ram 18 Mar 2013 13:39:16 6,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Strangers on a Train

Really interesting premise, but the silliness gets ramped up to a farcical level that I just couldn't take. CAN HE FINISH HIS TENNIS GAME IN TIME? CAN HE POSSIBLY SURVIVE THE CLIMACTIC BATTLE ON... a merry-go-round. Are merry-go-rounds even supposed to go that fast?

It was ok despite that, but overall it was one of the weaker ones from my recent Hitchcock binge.
  • Page

of 2705 First / Last