Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2083

• Page

of 2803 First / Last

• MetalDog 24 Jan 2013 11:54:47 23,740 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have no problem with Superman flying, so long as he doesn't look like he's on bad wirework while he does it. Same goes for flying martial artists - sometimes it looks cool, sometimes it looks like an amateur production of Peter Pan.

That's my issue really - not that they're flying, but that it looks crap.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• kalel 24 Jan 2013 11:57:21 88,457 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of the things that Chris Reeve doesn't get enough credit for is the way he makes the flying believable in the Superman films. He does so many tiny little things to create the illusion. He makes what is really very basic blue screen work look cutting edge. Same goes for the wire work.
  • alexm 24 Jan 2013 12:01:27 282 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Talented Mr Ripley - Caught it for probably the tenth time. Can't quite explain why I rate it so highly, I think the casting is flawless but Anthony Minghella's (RIP) directing always gets me. His films are so lavish and dreamlike - alongside the darker plot, it just works.

9.5/10

Dredd

I came to this with absolutely no idea about the franchise which might explain why it left me completely cold. Was hoping for better given how many on here liked it - a few decent action scenes but that was about it for me. Turned off with half an hour left.

4/10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Amazing cast and loved the set design. I'm so glad this fell into the hands of Studio Canal and not a US producer who might have taken the quintessential Britishness out of it. Control talking about the possibility of a mole whilst munching on his toast was great!

9/10

The Illusionist

The animated magician one, not the non-animated magician one! Edinburgh and Paris both drawn amazingly and the plot has lots of nice little moments but I think it could have been cut by at least half an hour - it feels like a long-running time for a silent film.

7/10
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2013 12:08:40 20,821 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @FutileResistor good point. Well made.

I also agree with the as long as it looks good sentiment. I do think cthd looks good though. Lung GU hustle is even better.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• sirtacos 24 Jan 2013 12:55:09 7,319 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wreck It Ralph

Somewhat predictable, but it's by no means a run-of-the-mill kids' animation. It definitely is standard fare in terms of structure, plot etc., but the important stuff is the sheer inventiveness of it. I was delighted by the beautiful visuals, the countless references, the little details. (For example, the video game transit system, or the HUD on the helmet Ralph dons at one point.)
    The casting is inspired (even Sarah Silverman, who I'm not a fan of) and the whole thing oozes charm.
    Lasseter's involvement shows - this isn't Pixar, but it may as well be, down to the introductory short film. It's no Incredibles, but it certainly beats Brave.

8/10

Edited by sirtacos at 12:56:36 24-01-2013
  • -cerberus- 24 Jan 2013 12:59:30 3,160 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    alexm wrote: The Illusionist

The animated magician one, not the non-animated magician one! Edinburgh and Paris both drawn amazingly and the plot has lots of nice little moments but I think it could have been cut by at least half an hour - it feels like a long-running time for a silent film.

7/10
    Beautiful film! This rarely happens but the ending got me all choked up. From the same director, if you haven't seen it already: The Triplets of Belleville.

---

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Another one of those movies that I could just watch over and over and over again.

8.5/10

---

The Last Winter

Nothing spectacular but the eerie atmosphere does make it very interesting.

6.5/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Gambit1977 24 Jan 2013 12:59:38 10,206 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bedevilled
    Korean drama/thriller/horror that basically the least you know about it, the better. Utterly brilliant, lovely scenery, some interesting direction and a very good cast.
    8/10

The Chaser
    Another korean movie, this time from the action/thriller stable. Again, it's better you know as little as possible going into it, but it's funnier than many huge budget hollywood or UK efforts of late. Some brilliant comedy in amongst a quite serious and sick ideas.
    9/10
  • sirtacos 24 Jan 2013 13:01:10 7,319 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't say enough good things about The Chaser.
  • evild_edd 24 Jan 2013 13:11:29 3,147 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    re: Wreck It Ralph

I've been underwhelmed by the trailers for it, but it did review extremely well. Looking forward to watching it just for the game references. Hopefully it's funny enough to add some weight behind the knowing winks...

re: The Illusionist

Brilliant, brilliant film. It ain't half depressing, mind.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Gambit1977 24 Jan 2013 13:39:27 10,206 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I was pleasantly surprised, having had the film for a while now.
    Hollywood could really do with trying to emulate rather than up the stakes/rip off asian cinema

Edited by Gambit1977 at 13:39:35 24-01-2013
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jan 2013 13:44:42 7,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    Hollywood could really do with trying to emulate rather than up the stakes/rip off asian cinema
    In related news, there is apparently a remake in the works.

*cough*
  • alexm 24 Jan 2013 14:09:14 282 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    alexm wrote: The Illusionist

7/10
    Beautiful film! This rarely happens but the ending got me all choked up. From the same director, if you haven't seen it already: The Triplets of Belleville.

6.5/10

Ah that explains, I kept thinking about it whilst watching The Illusionist. I thought Triplets had a lot more to it, but then again I'm not one for overly depressing cinema so maybe that's why I didn't love The Illusionist.
  • Gambit1977 24 Jan 2013 14:47:42 10,206 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    In related news, there is apparently a remake in the works.

*cough*
    haha, why does that not surprise me. No way will they match it, the chemistry in it is really sweet, and the way the film moves at such a pace...I just can't see it being anything but fail.
  • spindle9988 24 Jan 2013 14:54:19 3,626 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Django-9/10

What a great film this was. Some great dialogue as well which is pretty standard for a tarantino film. Only reason its not a ten is beacuse I felt it was about 1/2 hour too long

Life of pi- 10/10

I read the book a few weeks ago and loved it but the film is nothing short of breathtaking. I actually found it very spiritual and uplifting. One of my fave films in a long time
  • Tom_Servo 24 Jan 2013 22:57:15 18,009 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Thin Red Line - 8/10

Really liked this. The only other Malick I've seen is The Tree of Life, which I really didn't like aside from Jessica Chastain's performance, so I was fairly apprehensive about this. It's sort of like a filmed version of an epic war poem. Equally beautiful and horrifying, with a terrific cast including the world's most versatile actor Woody Harrelson (and according to Wiki performances from guys like Martin Sheen and Gary Oldman were totally cut!).

There isn't really a big plot (some American soldiers are fighting against the Japanese on a Pacific island during WW2, and that's basically it), but it suits it fine. It's about the characters, nature, and the horrors of war.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 22:57:31 24-01-2013

Edited by Tom_Servo at 22:58:15 24-01-2013
  • beastmaster 24 Jan 2013 23:20:45 11,622 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sand Sharks - 2/10

Umm...So bad it's good?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Load_2.0 25 Jan 2013 00:52:51 19,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Django-9/10

It has all been said before, great movie, Christoph Waltz is superb. Though it does have the worst attempt at an Aussie accent ever.
  • Bananazniper 25 Jan 2013 08:23:25 660 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • smoothpete 25 Jan 2013 08:26:00 31,581 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Though it does have the worst attempt at an Aussie accent ever.
    "guud-aay mayte"
  • gooner77 25 Jan 2013 08:43:31 804 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    13 Assassins 13\10

Fucking awesome film. some disturbing bits but loads of ace sword fights and an interesting insight into Japanese history. Hari Kiri's and weird haircuts :)
  • mikeck 25 Jan 2013 10:57:44 1,936 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    13 Assassins 13\10

Fucking awesome film. some disturbing bits but loads of ace sword fights and an interesting insight into Japanese history. Hari Kiri's and weird haircuts :)
    Such a good film, and the most accessible film Takashi Miike has ever made (Audition, Ichi the Killer, Visitor Q).
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jan 2013 11:15:51 17,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    "guud-aay mayte"
    I honestly thought he was trying to do South African for a while. It's amazing.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Megapocalypse 25 Jan 2013 13:33:30 5,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Battleship 1/10

Fell asleep after the incredibly boring first 30 minutes that seemed to go out of the way to make every character an unlikeable American stereotype. Woke up, saw some explosions and turned it off.

Maybe I'll give it another go over the weekend.
  • Megapocalypse 25 Jan 2013 13:34:56 5,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 25 Jan 2013 13:59:14 20,821 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What is going on here? Last page is from October 23 1012.

Did I go back in time?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• pistol 25 Jan 2013 14:01:19 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    West Is West

East Is East sequal and this time the majority of the film is set in Pakistan. Slightly more serious than the first with the occasional touching moment, but generally not as enjoyable as the first. If you liked East Is East you'll probably like this, but imo not as much.

7/10
  • captainrentboy 25 Jan 2013 15:13:32 1,024 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    "guud-aay mayte"
    I honestly thought he was trying to do South African for a while. It's amazing.
    It was Australian?? Yeah I thought he was going for South African too, and that the other guy with him was Australian. :/
    Whatever it was, I think it could be the worst attempt at an accent an actor has ever attempted.. Ever.
    And that includes Dick van Duke and Don Cheadle.
    (I'll leave the auto correct, it makes the name even more fancy)

Edited by captainrentboy at 15:15:24 25-01-2013
  • Lotos8ter 25 Jan 2013 15:14:48 2,361 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Django Unchained 9.5/10. Absolutely fucking loved it. Waltz was superb, so was Foxx, so was DiCaprio. Didn't want it to end but left the cinema with a stupid big grin on my face. Ace

Les Miserables 6/10. Beautifully acted but I found it a bit empty. The singing started to grate, I didn't like the cheeky cockney chappie and it seemed like a lot of fuss over a pissy little barricade in a huge city. Wish I'd spent the time watching Django again instead.

Fiat Lux

• craigy Staff 25 Jan 2013 15:38:58 7,722 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The barricade was rather poor. I've made cushion forts that were more impenetrable.
  • Mattwow 25 Jan 2013 18:17:56 43 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    St Georges Day 100% Class film.

Windows 7 - 64
    Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    8GB Ram
    ATI Radeon HD 6970

Xbox Gamertag - Wolves since 86

• Page

of 2803 First / Last