Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2077

• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 16:53:12
    StixxUK wrote:
    Into the wild: 89%

Film about Christopher Mccandless who decided to forego the "normal" life, destroy his ID, give his savings to charity and disappear.

The film is about his journey and the people he meets on the way to his final goal of becoming a hermit in the Alaskan wilds.

A fantastic soundtrack by Eddie Vedder and some beautiful scenery make the journey that much more enjoyable. Stick it to the man, Chris!

On a side note, has anyone seen the new On The Road film? Interested but never noticed it appearing in the cinema (yet? )
    one of my favourites. Havn't seen it in a couple of years so might have to rewatch soon. The relationship between the old man and him had me close to tears. Vince vaughn is alright in it as well!
  • thelzdking 20 Jan 2013 16:58:42 4,369 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises - 8/10

This film should be called "Bane".
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 17:46:56
    The Diving Bell And The Butterfly (2007) 9/10

The film somehow feels looks older than 2007 - which might have something to do with the style of the intro and end credits. It stars the excellent Mathieu Amalric, who plays the part of Jean-Dominique Bauby, Elle magazine editor who suffered a cerebrovascular accident which rendered him paralysed and speechless, a condition called locked-in-syndrome. All Jean-Dominique could move was one eye and blink. Based on a true story, Jean-Dominique uses his only function, to blink, to write a book: The Diving Bell And The Butterfly

The opening of the film reminded me a little of Robo-Cop, as the viewer is put in the position of Jean-Dominique, paralysed, in a hospital bed, we see through his eyes while doctors look on. Needless to say, it is tough going at the beginning. As the story moves forward, Jean-Dominique bleak existence is broken up by therapists, visits from family members and flash backs to a past where Jean-Dominique has all his faculties and led a full life. I guess the message being, appreciate life while you have it.

Throughout the film are various songs. This one is interesting:
    Donít Kiss Me Goodbye/Ultra Orange Emmanuelle
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jan 2013 18:44:03 5,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Take Shelter

Think I either watched something very special, or it kind of missed a trick by letting the main character, Curtis, open the storm shelter doors and leaving it at that, which would leave it open to your own interpretation although maybe slightly too ambiguous.

Michael Shannon was superb ... nice to see a film where the character seeks help and comes to terms with his possible craziness as oppose to, you know, going crazy!

The last scene upon the beach makes me think is his wife looking in the distance and being there for him and allow his hallucinations/visions be a part of their life, or was he right all along? Makes for a thought provoking discussion.

I think ... 8/10

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 18:47:02 20-01-2013
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 19:10:25
    Superb film. Gets better and better on repeat viewings as you uncover the sheer depth of it.
  • TOOTR 20 Jan 2013 19:46:16 9,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook

I loved this. And I think I now have a crush on Jennifer Lawrence.

/loved this

94%

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• TOOTR 20 Jan 2013 19:47:21 9,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Superb film. Gets better and better on repeat viewings as you uncover the sheer depth of it.
    Really? I thought it was an excellent film but haven't gone the repeat viewings route with it yet. Too much other stuff to see right now.

Maybe I should rethink that.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• mikeck 20 Jan 2013 20:28:29 1,936 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got to watch Django Unchained finally (felt like an age for this to finally get to the big-screen), and as an unashamed Tarantino fanboy this was a near perfect film for me. Brilliant performances by Foxx and Waltz, both really commanded the screen, and it was great to really enjoy the character Waltz played, and not just the performance. I think I fell in love with Dr. King Schultz from his first appearance.

I know Tarantino has his foibles and is not everybody's cup of tea, but he didn't put a step wrong with this film...well, apart from a certain accent ;)

Also, loved the nod to the original film with the scene at the bar, when Django discusses the spelling of the name with Franco Nero (the original Django), nice touch ;)

Amazing/10 - I would go and watch this again immediately, that's how hooked I was. Anybody who says it drags too much near the end clearly doesn't enjoy a good story.

Also, the wife made me watch Tango and Cash for the first time, can't believe I missed this when it originally came out. I've watched a lot of 'shit' films from the 80's/90's and how this was overlooked I'll never know.

Great, shit 80's action film.

Edited by mikeck at 20:29:22 20-01-2013
  • Lukus 20 Jan 2013 21:54:17 19,247 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Django Unchained

It was good, but he really should have just shaken his hand.

Typical Tarrantino in its themes (violent revenge mainly), the well thought through shots and the smart dialogue. Not so sure about his ability to create genuinely memorable or likeable main characters though. Perhaps that isn't the point.
    8/10

Edited by Lukus at 22:53:04 20-01-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• captainrentboy 20 Jan 2013 22:22:00 1,020 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook- 85%
    Far better than your average Rom-com, which is what the shitty trailers made it look like. Probably wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't for the reviews on here, so thanks!! :)

Django Unchained- Another 85%
    Sliiightly too long, could have been a good 20 mins shorter, but it was largely fantastic.
  • Mikeeeboy1 20 Jan 2013 22:23:01 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Life of Pi

What a fucking boring movie.

Boy shipwrecked with a tiger- the end

Save yourself the time and money and just watch the Tv spot trailer cos that's all the film is right there!!!

Looks nice though so a generous 3/10.

Btw it's so pretentious and artsy that it will win the best picture at the Oscars.
  • CharlieStCloud 20 Jan 2013 22:28:02 5,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    Life of Pi

Thanks for spoiling the story.
  • BryanAKADJ 20 Jan 2013 22:31:04 284 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Brave - 7/10

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Scurrminator 20 Jan 2013 23:25:09 8,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Silver linings play book
    7/10
    Enjoyable; Lawrence is hawt

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• caligari 20 Jan 2013 23:33:57 17,073 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    The Innocents

Now here's a nice 'n creepy psychological horror flick you don't want to miss!
    Sadly there's a bit of overacting from the lead but the buildup is good, the story intriguing and the atmosphere dead-on

8/10
    Great recommendation, sir - it's been years since I've watched it.

Up there with 'The Haunting' and 'Whistle and I'll Come To You'.
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 21 Jan 2013 01:04:35 430 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Django Unchained - 8/10

Second time round, slightly less disappointing than the first. Tarantino has always been self indulgent, it's what made him great in the first place, but it's usually memorable. Here he adds an extra 20 minutes to the back end of the movie which goes nowhere except to engineer a cameo that completely breaks the illusion of the movie.

Up to that point though, the film is pretty brilliant, but never quite catches fire like the beginning of Inglourious Basterds, or the La Louisiane scene. I've heard it said that this is some of his best ever work, when actually I didn't even think it was as good as his last.
  • tuff 21 Jan 2013 01:06:30 628 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flight

Can't see an Oscar winner / 100
  • roz123 21 Jan 2013 01:23:08 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Les Miserables
    Brilliant performances, the biggest difference from the stage show being the close ups with the Sinead O'Connor tears during the solos. I loved it but would have to say the first hour is better then the rest, Anne Hathaway steals the show.
    9/10

Edited by roz123 at 01:23:29 21-01-2013
  • Mikeeeboy1 21 Jan 2013 03:29:03 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    Life of Pi

Are you taking the piss or what?
    Have you seen a trailer for it?
    That's the movie.
    So how is that a spoiler?
    Blame the trailer for spoiling it for you not me!
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 06:31:56 20,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Matrix
    A true classic. Hasn't aged one bit. This will be around long after people have forgottenabout Lincoln or Life of Pi.

It took me back to 1999 when I forst saw it and how completely revolutionary it was. So many things it did for the first time in a western mainstream film.

I tried to think of a film that has done something similar since and couldn't come up with one. It's also funny to see how Inception riffs on the Matrix but is a much worse film because of no originality.

Everything (including Keanu) is top notch

A must see

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 21 Jan 2013 06:59:35 7,652 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What on earth does everyone have against Life of Pi today?
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 07:03:07 20,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't mean it like that. I'm sure Life of Pi is a fine film (I haven't seen it). It was more along the lines of that wired article where a guy said bad films are the good ones.

• Tonka 21 Jan 2013 07:10:21 20,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, I had no idea that the Wchowski brothers are now the Wachowski siblings...

• CharlieStCloud 21 Jan 2013 08:30:03 5,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    Life of Pi

A boy shipwrecked with a tiger - the end.
    Are you taking the piss or what?
    : )

I read the book more or less in the first week it was available in an independent bookstore and I loved the story to the point of persuading lots of friends and family to read 'Life of Pi'.

I also thought it was an extremely difficult book to film - 'unfilmable' as they once said - and I was so pleased to see the film do the book a good service.

I just replied like that (to your mini-review) because I was flabbergasted that anyone would give it such an undeservingly low score, but hey, I cannot make you enjoy it.
  • kalel 21 Jan 2013 08:32:12 88,336 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mikeeeboy1

I recommend the recent film they've made of Midnight's Children. I reckon you'd really enjoy it.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 08:34:24
    The Iron Lady 4/10

There's a decent film to be made about her but the old woman stuff is silly and manipulative. The historical stuff is much better.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 08:50:32
    War Horse 8/10

Awesome film, typically Spielberg, great John Williams score, brilliantly acted and gorgeous Dartmoor shots.
  • Dangerous_Dan 21 Jan 2013 08:52:14 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Lord of the Rings - 1978

Animation, magical, the reason why Peter Jackson's LotR 1+2 got some magic within as well.

So it's brilliant in the movie magic department. People interested in animation, especially those who are disenchanted with CGI animation movies should definitely watch this one, although they probably already have.

I'm shocked about how very similar, down to the characters facial expressions, the animation movie is compared to Jackson's one. Now it's also clear to me why LotR 3 is missing on the movie magic aspect big time - the animation one only covers part one and big parts of number two.

I never understood what's so special about Jackson's work as a director. Yes he obviously works hard but the result is solid with little magic.
    LotR 1+2 are the exception and now I know why. All the scenes which enchant are taken from the animation movie. It's not only about the scenes, the camera angled, the everything, no it's even that the characters mimic the animated ones in parts (which are some kind of animation/real actors mixed style).

And yet the animation one is scorned by many who fall on their knees when it comes to the new ones.

Animation magic, especially for the year 1978.

9/10

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 08:53:36 21-01-2013
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 08:55:11 20,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Garlvinlandblueblood wrote:
    Django Unchained - 8/10

Here he adds an extra 20 minutes to the back end of the movie which goes nowhere except to engineer a cameo that completely breaks the illusion of the movie.
    How would you rather have it end?
    Django going away in chains? To me, the end was the best bit. Well that and the dinner scene.

QT is a one trick pony. A marvelous trick but still.

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 09:21:44
    What one trick is that?
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last