Registered 10 years ago
    Barricade
    3%

Marginally better than death.
  • captainrentboy 11 Jan 2013 22:12:35 993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Take This Waltz - Can barely get through it/10
    Mumbly slightly retarded Michelle Williams is married to slightly less mumbly retard Seth Rogan. She gets bored with his lack of mumbling and flirts with some artist douchebag across the street. They talk in an unnaturally wordy and over written fashion. Songs play in the background that no-ones heard of, ermm Sarah Silverman pops in to the story, her and Williams expose their tits and bushy nethers in the shower for a bit, and then it goes back to the mumbling...
    I've never seen a film sooo indie before, and 60 minutes in it's driving me wild with boredom.

Edited by captainrentboy at 22:14:12 11-01-2013
  • Deleted user 11 January 2013 23:29:51
    Tryannosaur

A really really dark, and complex film involving two people, from different ends of the spectrum, caught up in the violent and depressing world around them. A stunning debut from paddy considine, the film is beautifully shot, the script, simple, yet layered, the plot harrowing, but lined with the slightest glimmer of hope.

Its not one to watch of hand, but if you are familar with shane meadows films, you have an idea of what to expect. its extremely dark in places, and quite hard to take in some scenes, from a upsetting opening shots, to quite a traumatic scene towards the end. it doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of domestic violence, but its littered with interesting characters and locales and places.

The two leads are fantastic, oliva coleman, i think giving one of the best performances i have seen in a long time. Great performance. Great film.

9/10
  • Max_Powers 12 Jan 2013 00:11:47 1,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Take this Waltz also wasn't for me. I'm not indie enough.

Tyrannosaur on the other hand is awesome.
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Jan 2013 00:30:33 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    Gangster Squad

Generic? Yes. Revolutionary? No. Awesome? YES.

Loved this film; everything from the cinematography, the soundtrack, the performances, the direction...all very, very strong.

More action than I expected (in terms of fisticuffs, rather than gunplay) and one of the first scenes in the film with Brolin really sold this to me before the film really got going.

Sean Penn was majestic as Mickey Cohen, a real menacing presence, Brolin was great as O'Mara, and Gosling as usual was great (I'm an unashamed Gosling fanboy). I didn't quite believe Stone and Gosling's scenes, but apart from that no complaints at all. Supporting cast was great too - very strong performances all round.

I absolutely recommend this, it's a well put together film, with great action and pacing. The story isn't going to shock you, or give you much to think on, but I never expected, or needed that from this film.

A lot of fun, and well worth a watch.

9.5/10
    No ... just absolutely no!

I dread to think what films you believe is worth more than a ridiculously generous 9.5/10 because whilst I am not one to read film reviews and agree with them, the not-so-polite words this has been getting is bang on the money.

It is like The Untouchables never existed for heavens sake.

Anyway, after that crap, Les Miserables was a real highlight in comparison.

More personal than the theatre adaptation with lots of close up views of the characters and I was just swept along in the whole tale ... wonderful cinema audience too, which is quite a rarity nowadays.

The singing 'duels' between Crowe and Jackman is spine tingling stuff as is Hathaway's song, 'I Dreamed a Dream'.

: )
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 00:54:43
    Killer Joe 75%

Good stuff with a great performance from Matthew McConaughey and Juno temple. Liked the shots and I was thinking it would have made a great play. Turns out it was. Wasn't expecting the scene with the K fried C to be what it was!

Lawless 69%

Some top throat action but I think it suffered from been far too long in the tooth. Tom Hardy mumbled his way through it and Guy Pearce was hamming it up fully as the villain of the show. Needed to trim a lot of fat as I felt the plot was strong but meandered for a lot of the over long running time. Still though. Top throat punchin action and Oldman with a Tommy gun.

The Possession 55%

By the numbers horror with the american clone of Javier Bardem as the lead. Had some good scenes that were ruined by the usual insert a jump scream and piss poor CGI. Had its moments though albeit not that many.

Martha Marcy May Marlene 81%

Great Stuff. Elizabeth Olsen was soupoib as someone who's mind was severely messed up. John Hawke was great as well. Good tense scenes especially near the end and a great cult show!

Dredd 90%

Absolutely loved it. Wish I could of brought 9 year old me to have seen this in the cinema rather than that other heap of trash. Great soundtrack and completely over the top violence. Wish I saw it in 3d. Also top throat punch again.

Edited by WeakOrbit at 00:55:13 12-01-2013
  • wogsy81 12 Jan 2013 07:15:28 733 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:
    Im a huge fan of Pixar's work but i just dont fancy watching Brave at all. I think its because of all them Scottish accents in it. I find the scottish accent really irritating.

wogsy81's profile:
    Scouser born and bread.
    People in glass houses...

Edited by kinky_mong at 11:15:31 11-01-2013
    No glass house for me.
    Im well aware the scouse accent is highly irratating. I have to listen to it all day every day.
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 09:50:42 5,903 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Running Scared

re-watching 80's buddy cop movies FTW \o/

A film so old Billy Crystal got second billing to Gregory Hines but still one of the funny ones, Hines and Crystal really bounce of each other it's sharp and funny I smiled all the through. Good old netflix is becoming so great for finding old films long forgotten :)

80%
  • Jeepers 12 Jan 2013 11:21:08 13,181 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have we had this?

http://badassdigest.com/2013/01/09/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs.-tom-hooper-and-art-of-cinematic-affectation/

Great critique of Les Miserable. From the Hulk.

Via Gruber and a genuinely great read.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Jan 2013 11:27:37 7,402 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Funny, although I hope the Hulk critic thing isn't a regular column. Because it could get old pretty quickly.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 12:31:14 17,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    Gangster Squad

Generic? Yes. Revolutionary? No. Awesome? YES.

Loved this film; everything from the cinematography, the soundtrack, the performances, the direction...all very, very strong.

[...]

I absolutely recommend this, it's a well put together film, with great action and pacing. The story isn't going to shock you, or give you much to think on, but I never expected, or needed that from this film.

A lot of fun, and well worth a watch.

9.5/10
    I was just coming in to post a rant about how rubbish it is. It all felt so lightweight and silly. The tone of the film was very strange indeed, it felt like it wanted to be serious and then suddenly there was some form of slapstick or something that made it seem frivolous.

I swear it seemed to me that at several points in the film they were going to go in one direction but then the test screening suggested they should do something much more saccharine. Obviously I can't go into much detail but the scene with his wife when they suggested she's going to be dead and in fact she'd given birth to his child was appalling. I actually think they have made a comedy film.

I have recently been watching the first series of Boardwalk Empire and comparing the way the war affected Michael Pitt's character (or his friend with half a face!) with the characters in Gangster Squad and it makes the characterisation of this film laughable.

I'm more than happy for this film to be a silly film but it's the effort of the writers to add weight that made the film pretty laughable for me.

You are a factory of sadness.

• TechnoHippy 12 Jan 2013 12:48:27 14,715 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We bought a zoo

A pleasant film that was better than I expected. Warm story, a little obvious but it works well.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• speedofthepuma 12 Jan 2013 13:04:50 13,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    We bought a zoo

A pleasant film that was better than I expected. Warm story, a little obvious but it works well.

7/10
    I really enjoyed this movie, but liking it won't go down well round these parts.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 13:16:41 17,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just to counter the above, two good things about Gangster Squad, Gosling and his friend had an interesting relationship and I'd say the five minutes that his friend gets are about the best bits of the film. Also, the Emma Stone and Gosling bits are pretty decent (if a little light weight).

More criticism though, the ending where they have the big shootout just makes the film seem even more stupid, so they have to serve a warrant for one person but it's alright to just gun down everyone involved, the gangster squad even shoot first! It makes no sense and again it seem morally misplaced. I guess I could buy it if they didn't go to the judge to get the warrant or if there was a real revenge type element but there isn't even that, not really.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:17:17 12-01-2013

• mikeck 12 Jan 2013 13:39:16 1,936 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Consider me told by two forum members that my views on Gangster Squad are incorrect ;)

I could see the fun in the film, and whatever your views, it was a well put together film.

Sorry for not being snobby enough, I gave that up years ago after realising studying film makes you a bit of a cock. I don't always need to watch Svankmajer and Malick films :p

Edited by mikeck at 13:40:57 12-01-2013
  • TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:41:55 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Funny, although I hope the Hulk critic thing isn't a regular column. Because it could get old pretty quickly.
    It's a regular thing. It's a great column rendered almost unreadable by the stupid all-caps. I gave up on the Tom Hooper thing about a third of the way through, it's like someone's screaming at your eyeballs.

Not sure why Gruber didn't mention how hateful an experience it is to try and read it like that. It's more like him to also link to some geeky way to render it more legible!

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:44:20 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    The singing 'duels' between Crowe and Jackman is spine tingling stuff as is Hathaway's song, 'I Dreamed a Dream'.

: )
    You see, you can go on about how terrible Gangster Squad is and what a fool that forumite was for daring to enjoy it, but your description of Les Miserables up there makes it sound like literally the worst thing that has been committed to a massive HDD this year so far.

Utterly, utterly hateful.

But hey, tastes and all that.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Mr-Brett 12 Jan 2013 13:44:52 12,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's a regular thing. It's a great column rendered almost unreadable by the stupid all-caps. I gave up on the Tom Hooper thing about a third of the way through, it's like someone's screaming at your eyeballs.

Not sure why Gruber didn't mention how hateful an experience it is to try and read it like that. It's more like him to also link to some geeky way to render it more legible!
    DB posted this somewhere recently, it should help: http://www.convertcase.net/

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 13:50:47 17,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry for not being snobby enough, I gave that up years ago after realising studying film makes you a bit of a cock. I don't always need to watch Svankmajer and Malick films :p
    I really don't intend to be a snob about Gangster Squad, I'm more than happy to watch a film that has a consistent idea of what it's aiming for in tone. For instance, I fucking love Doom the movie! I just think this was a poorly judged film that on the one hand wants me to care about a character dying while at the same time doesn't give me any reason to care. I don't even think it was that well put together.

• mikeck 12 Jan 2013 13:56:17 1,936 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I really don't intend to be a snob about Gangster Squad, I'm more than happy to watch a film that has a consistent idea of what it's aiming for in tone. For instance, I fucking love Doom the movie! I just think this was a poorly judged film that on the one hand wants me to care about a character dying while at the same time doesn't give me any reason to care. I don't even think it was that well put together.
    Heh, fair enough dude. I just really enjoyed, I don't expect others to, but CharlieStCloud and his little rant can fuck right off ;)
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jan 2013 14:32:05 17,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Heh, fair enough dude. I just really enjoyed, I don't expect others to, but CharlieStCloud and his little rant can fuck right off ;)
    I do think watching Boardwalk Empire made taking this film seriously a difficulty, perhaps it isn't supposed to be taken seriously, I'm not sure. It did strike me that this was a perfect example of why TV is taking over from film to some degree. It would have been quite easy to elevate this film somewhat with more digression into character motivations but there just isn't time in a two hour format.

Again, I might well be misreading the whole thing, it did strike me that this might be a film intended to be a comedy played straight but I couldn't quite figure it.

Oh and the lobby scene was very reminiscent of Mafia, for some reason.

• Tonka 12 Jan 2013 15:17:59 20,438 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Premium Rush
    I was expecting to be entertained and got more than I hoped for.

Must see

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• spindle9988 12 Jan 2013 15:53:09 3,590 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gonna finally watch dredd tonight. Can't wait
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 16:06:31
    Seven Psychopaths - don't know/10

Seriously don't know what to make of it. I enjoyed it. Performances were great. But the film was just too meta for its own good. The scene with them in the car talking about what makes a good finale for a film kind of went a bit over the top for me. At times the meta stuff worked really well, though, like with Walken's character giving the conclusion about the Vietnamese. But yeah. Entertaining and extraordinarily well-written.

Edited by meme at 16:06:46 12-01-2013
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 17:14:57
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I do think watching Boardwalk Empire made taking this film seriously a difficulty, perhaps it isn't supposed to be taken seriously, I'm not sure. It did strike me that this was a perfect example of why TV is taking over from film to some degree. It would have been quite easy to elevate this film somewhat with more digression into character motivations but there just isn't time in a two hour format.

Again, I might well be misreading the whole thing, it did strike me that this might be a film intended to be a comedy played straight but I couldn't quite figure it.

Oh and the lobby scene was very reminiscent of Mafia, for some reason.
    yeah i have heard its the best gangster movie ever.. if you are 13 years old. Anyone going in expecting LA confidential or Broadwalk empire is in for a nasty shock. Quite a few people who have seen it all said it just made them want to watch LA confidential rather than finish watching the film. Shall still see it though, the cast list is great.
  • Blaketown 12 Jan 2013 18:15:03 4,652 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Alvin & The Chipmunks 3 : Chipwrecked 9%
    As a survivor the of the first two films I was expecting the same level of banal kids entertainment.

I was so wrong.

Some talented people were involved in the making of this film. Every one of them should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I hope the yachts this bought them get hijacked by Somali pirates and they are subjected to weeks of torture before their eventual release.

That would bring them half way towards being even for subjecting me to this.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Kostabi 12 Jan 2013 18:19:36 4,930 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook - 9/10

I'm in the Academy. ;)

Only watched this as I quite like Bradley Cooper and was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing having come into it blind.

Extra point for Jennifer Lawrence in yoga pants.
  • GuiltySpark 12 Jan 2013 19:24:28 6,387 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excision - Tampons/10

It was pretty fucking grim.

Get bent.

• SFD 12 Jan 2013 20:09:41 493 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Safe - 60%

John Carter 3D - 80%
  • Rens11 12 Jan 2013 20:49:46 1,404 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Senna

Being only 5 when Senna died I never got to appreciate what a driver he was. After watching him race he is in a class of his own; superb

9/10

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• Page

of 2770 First / Last