Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2055

• Page

of 2703 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 2 Jan 2013 22:24:46 43,147 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Avengers Assemble. 10/10. I was going to give it a 10/10 with a half dozen caveats about being an action film and dumb fun and then I watched it again. Straight away again. You know what it reminds me of? It reminds me of Star Wars. Back in the day.

I love Joss Whedon's writing, in a hokey way. I get a bit bored of how every character sounds the same and all the dialogue is snappy and he can't resist a withering 1990s putdown but he was born to write comic dialogue and he fits this film like a glove. He gives Thor the extra syllables, takes them away from Tony Stark, but mostly he trusts his actors to make the difference and have enough in them to make each character different.

He can't resist poking his own head through and it does sometimes show. 'Hilariously' outmatched is not something SLJ would say (ande he doesn't even really know how to say it). The crewman playing Space Invaders, the (studio led) pops at Superman and Batman, the constant need for deflation where a character gets interrupted when monologuing, these are moments when he can't help himself and maybe gets too clever for his own good. But most everything else is bang on the money.

This should be a larger than life film. It should have ridiculous, over the top characters flying around, doing extraordinary things. It should have willing sacrifice and learning to trust and forgiveness and understanding and newfound strength and belief, and to find the room to do all this in one film is a masterclass. Yes, it helped that these had a solid core of films to build on and yes it helps that there isn't a weak performance in it (I wondered about Loki, and the English Hellboy look, but his cruelty and especially his face, all smile and teeth and bones, is stark as Skeletor and just as memorable), but even so there was a solid expectation to live up to and even then it was more.

It says a lot that I needed a second pass to get the things I'd missed. What comic book film has ever needed that? Ever? SLJ's speech, right at the heart, about heroes, and being old fashioned, and belief, was far more than I'd given it credit for the first time around. Loki's taunts to his brother and the fear at the army at his back which made him hide in violence and malevolence. Thor was beautifully anachronistic, as was Captain America, although the one was stubborn and the other bemused. Tony Stark needed only turn on the charm, and then sulk when it didn't work. Hawkeye and Black Wossname were sensibly given their own space to do their own thing, but why have they made a ton of Hulk films and only now used Mark Ruffalo? I can't decide whether he was better as himself, or whether the actual, true, best character in the whole damn thing was a CGI effect.

Get this man with Laurence Kasdan working on the new Disney Star Wars. Man of Steel is going to have to be something special because the last Batman film was bad enough against normal fare, before I'd seen this. Like I said, 10/10.

tl;dr

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Madder-Max 2 Jan 2013 22:27:27 11,618 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Short circuit 2/10. Started watching it for nostalgias sake up until the robots enter the party at the beginning and steve guittenberg says that line about what's safe about destroying people. The ads came on and that gave the cue to go back to forza 4.

I can't believe how low budget it is and how shite the acting is. Awful. Not aged well.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• beastmaster 2 Jan 2013 22:54:46 11,147 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A Lonely Place To Die - A Shit Film to Watch/10

I was kind of expecting some kind of Scottish set version of Cliffhanger. The plot itself isn't that bad really. It's just that the film itself is so terribly flat, dull and lifeless.

Not that bad for me to go into a rant but not even that average for me to even bother giving this a proper write up.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• MadCaddy13 2 Jan 2013 23:09:22 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stay alive johnny 5
  • Dante_Cubit 3 Jan 2013 00:03:28 1,874 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    A View To A Kill - 2/10

I've been working through the Bond films in order and fully intended to keep a running score of them but forgot to write them down after the first few. I only mention this as background as I can't imagine anyone ever watching this one as an isolated viewing, it's just fucking awful.

The action scenes lose any impact because it's clearly a stunt double in every fucking scene. There's a moment where Bond high kicks a guy in the face at the bottom of some stairs and it's blatantly not Roger Moore. I know in hindsight people have criticised him for carrying on too long but surely someone must have thought a guy who can't do the most basic of action movie stunts should be fired.

I can live with the campy nature of the previous (Moore) Bond films and even the massively over the top Moonraker but A View To A Kill is just a bad film, badly directed, acted and executed.

The 2 points are for Christopher Walken doing the best job he could with the shit he was served. MORE POWER!
    A View to a Kill is easily the best bond movie. Christopher Walken is a brain-wrong Nazi eugenics experiment for fuck's sake! Grace Jones is utterly insane and Moore's stunt double has a terrible wig.... Genius.

It gets at least 5 points alone for the bit where Walken is laughing hysterically whilst pointlessly Uzi'ing loads of loyal workers.

Edit: I forgot the fucking theme tune! Awesome...

Edited by Dante_Cubit at 00:04:45 03-01-2013
  • AgeOfChaos 3 Jan 2013 04:16:22 255 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sinister 6/10

The only reason this gets a 6 is because of Ethan Hawke, he carries the film. OK, the sound is pretty good too.

Too many cheap scares, just another variation of a cat jumping out of a wardrobe.

The angry dog in the garden, what the fuck was that!
  • Rens11 3 Jan 2013 04:40:09 1,385 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clue

enjoyable romp

7/10

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• Architect_z 3 Jan 2013 08:11:26 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Hobbit: 90%

After reading a few bad reviews, and being told by a few people that it was rubbish, I decided to go and see for myself, having recently read the book I was slightly confused about some elements of the stroyline, but as for the film, I have to say I enjoyed almost every second, I was never bored and thought the action, comedy, story, production, acting, music, camerawork, special effects etc, were bang on.
  • evild_edd 3 Jan 2013 08:12:43 3,010 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Couple to catch up on from the past week or so.

The Hobbit

Should probably disclose at this point that both my wife and I are massive fans of the LOTR films, so went in with love already in our hearts - PJ would've had to do something drastically wrong for us not to love it, and we both felt he smashed it out the park.

Any criticism of film length (running time flew by) and tone (perfect blend of Hobbit whimsy and LOTR darkness) were, in my opinion, wholly unfounded. Just a shame we have to wait another year for the next installment.

10/10

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Finally got round to seeing this. Was really pleasantly surprised, as I'd worried that the hype from those who'd seen it (particularly some EG'ers) might have been a little OTT. Whilst the pacing was unorthodox, and didn't carry the kind of edge-of-the-seat drama I'd (wrongly) expected, I found it a stylistic triumph. Just a beautiful film, with some genuinely funny moments thrown in - the vegan powers and pretty much everything involving Knives.

Highly recommended. My brother-in-law, who's typically restrained in his appraisal of films, regarded it as "the best film he's seen in years". Not sure I'd go quite that far, but still a very strong...

9/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deckard1 3 Jan 2013 08:18:33 27,061 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm guessing there's going to be a mass influx of hobbit reviews now.
  • robthehermit 3 Jan 2013 08:28:35 3,966 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cloud Atlas 10/10

Awesome film.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Rhythm 3 Jan 2013 08:37:34 2,462 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PREMIUM RUSH - 7/10 - BMX Bandits for the courier age. Some eye-watering traffic scenes, lots of corny dialogue, an angry cop gone bad, CRANK-esque Google Maps overlays.... Cheesey as fuck but enjoyable nonetheless. Isn't exactly going to endear drivers to cyclists though ;-)
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 11:07:13
    Biutiful (2010) 10/10

If you have ever been to Barcelona as a tourist, you probably got to visit the nice side of the city, the side most go there to see. Biutiful shows a different side to Barcelona, a side that probably exists in most cities, a side inhabited by people doing whatever to exist. The somewhat complex story follows Uxbal (Javier Bardem who also appears during the excellent No Country For Old Men) a man who's life is filled with upheaval, from admissions of an uncared for illness (cancer) to unstable lovers, difficult children, to spirits of which he can commune, to the lives of the low paid migrant (black, Chinese etc) workers that he leases out to whoever will employ them. It’s grim stuff, but interesting, and sometimes amusing. Running at 141mins the film is a mini epic. The sights and the sounds keep the viewer glued. I really enjoyed it. Where’s that club?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 11:40:10
    blacksea wrote:
    Biutiful (2010) 10/10

If you have ever been to Barcelona as a tourist, you probably got to visit the nice side of the city, the side most go there to see. Biutiful shows a different side to Barcelona, a side that probably exists in most cities, a side inhabited by people doing whatever to exist. The somewhat complex story follows Uxbal (Javier Bardem who also appears during the excellent No Country For Old Men) a man who's life is filled with upheaval, from admissions of an uncared for illness (cancer) to unstable lovers, difficult children, to spirits of which he can commune, to the lives of the low paid migrant (black, Chinese etc) workers that he leases out to whoever will employ them. It’s grim stuff, but interesting, and sometimes amusing. Running at 141mins the film is a mini epic. The sights and the sounds keep the viewer glued. I really enjoyed it. Where’s that club?
    as good as the directors other three then? (21 grams, amorres perros and babel ?). Really want to see it, but got put off by some average reviews, shall def try to catch it sometime soon.
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Jan 2013 11:47:55 5,155 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's his best film. Far better than Babel.
  • Wacko_AK 3 Jan 2013 11:49:37 178 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    PREMIUM RUSH - 7/10 - BMX Bandits for the courier age. Some eye-watering traffic scenes, lots of corny dialogue, an angry cop gone bad, CRANK-esque Google Maps overlays.... Cheesey as fuck but enjoyable nonetheless. Isn't exactly going to endear drivers to cyclists though ;-)
    Once you realise it's not taking itself seriously it's a great little film.
  • beastmaster 3 Jan 2013 14:52:42 11,147 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Ledge - 4/10

A decent enough premise but ultimately let down by dull execution.

The plot is quite interesting. Woman has affair, husband finds out and threatens to kill her unless the man jumps off the top of a building. A detective is sent to talk him down, but he has a few problems of his own.

The film is watchable enough. The cast is decent enough as are the performances.

How things got to the point where the man is on the ledge is told in flashback, as is the detective's back story. The film gets bogged down in religious debate though as the wronged husband is a born again something or other.

The whole film is more of a debate about faith and dying or your beliefs as opposed to a tense thriller. Or even a thriller of any kind.

Avoid.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 3 January 2013 15:12:00
    joelstinton wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    Biutiful (2010) 10/10

as good as the directors other three then? (21 grams, amorres perros and babel ?). Really want to see it, but got put off by some average reviews, shall def try to catch it sometime soon.
    Not seen Babel. I'd say it is better than 21 Grams, as I never really got into that, and better than Amorres Perros.
  • AgeOfChaos 3 Jan 2013 16:07:10 255 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Roger Moore's Bond movies.

7/10

Yes, he was a nice change of pace from Connery. He brought a different kind of Bond, to imitate Connery would of aged the series. Bravo Moore, I salute your raised eyebrow and quaint English way of communication.

"Ooh I say!!"

Edited by AgeOfChaos at 16:08:26 03-01-2013
  • AgeOfChaos 3 Jan 2013 16:07:27 255 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 16:19:37
    End of watch.

Absolutely amazing. From the director of training day.
    For those who haven't heard of it like me before watching, cop drama about two cops on shift in L.A.
    They are documenting their shifts on hand cams. The film is both normal cinematography plus the hand held stuff.
    If you enjoyed training day you need to watch this.

90/100.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 16:23:26 86,259 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    Biutiful (2010) 10/10

Not seen Babel. I'd say it is better than 21 Grams, as I never really got into that, and better than Amorres Perros.
    For me it goes Amorres Perros > Buitiful > Babel > 21 Grams.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 16:28:24
    sick really need to check it out then. :)
  • Architect_z 3 Jan 2013 16:32:09 2,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dredd - 85%

Actually very happy with this film. I loved the Stallone version.
    But this film was very well executed, however it is also very similar to The Raid, and unfortunatley The Raid (imo) is a much better film.

Either way, I love the judge dredd story and setting, loved the cinematography, and it had enough action and cheesy one liners to keep me happy. Great stuff. ^_^

O and, YES MAKE A SEQUEL!!!

Edited by Architect_z at 16:32:52 03-01-2013
  • RobAnybody 3 Jan 2013 16:33:23 881 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    End of watch.

From the director of training day.

Sorry, wrong. David Ayer wrote Training Day which was directed by Antoine Fuqua - however, David Ayer did write AND direct End of Watch. :)
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 16:34:48
    kalel wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    Biutiful (2010) 10/10

For me it goes Amorres Perros > Buitiful > Babel > 21 Grams.
    Tough as they all beautiful films. For me 21 grams > buitiful > amorres perros > Babel.
  • spindle9988 3 Jan 2013 16:36:58 3,487 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have only seen babel and whilst I respect it for what it is, I wasnt entertained and found it quite boring
  • Deleted user 3 January 2013 16:39:40
    I thought it was shit.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2013 16:45:51 86,259 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was gorgeous but wasn't engaging like Amorres Perros was.
  • spindle9988 3 Jan 2013 16:53:45 3,487 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People kept on telling me to watch it, they were talking like it was the best film in the world: It wasnt
  • Page

of 2703 First / Last