Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2013

• Page

of 2749 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 November 2012 17:27:22
    glaeken wrote:
    Well they went for the greater of two cliché’s then.

No-one believing the mad man who turns out to be correct is a much bigger cliché for me that leaving things unexplained. I was expecting that twist for the whole film and then I got it. It's such a cliché I don't think it even really is a twist.
    No, the irony of the twist is that because no-one believed him, he's now doomed and will die in the oncoming storm, whereas if people had believed him, he'd live on in his shelter, so it becomes a criticism on the treatment and perception of mental illness - it also ties in with his daughter's deafness, where a key point of it is whether it's helping her or hindering her in life.

And that's even if you think the storm is real, so it's still an ambiguous ending if you pay attention to the film. For instance, the jump to the vacation just happens, with no build-up or flow, which goes against how the rest of the film was structured narratively. The whole point of the yellow rain throughout the film is a marker for when something is not actually real - we only see it is when something unnatural happens like the crows and whatnot. You can easily take from this that Curtis had a psychotic break and is now stuck in hard therapy somewhere, and what we're seeing is a hallucination in his mind. Do you really think that they'd let a schizophrenic who just broke and endangered his family wander off on holiday for a few weeks before being committed?

One of the key lines of the film is "I'm afraid something may be coming...something not right". Is he talking about the storm, or a psychotic schizophrenic break?
  • Deckard1 23 Nov 2012 17:45:59 27,668 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why Mr Gremmi, you sure know how to impress a lady, what with your fine college education. A do believe I just creamed in ma pantaloons.

Hush you ponce

• WoodenSpoon 23 Nov 2012 20:46:27 12,285 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought it was a fairly straight forward case of a nutter in denial, then he opens up to his doctor and his family and everything's OK. The storm comes at the end but unlike before his wife and kid are now there to help him through it.

spoilered for pussies

Edited by WoodenSpoon at 17:29:52 24-11-2012
  • Deckard1 23 Nov 2012 20:48:57 27,668 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You might wanna spoiler that mate

Hush you ponce

• stephenb 23 Nov 2012 21:18:04 2,738 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm amazed how many of you have watched this. I caught it on sky by accident one night. Thoroughly enjoyed it too I failed to see the storm could be a metaphor for his mental state. I just thought 'ooh ye bastard, big twisters!'

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• TechnoHippy 24 Nov 2012 16:50:14 14,707 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Battleship

In fairness I wasn't expecting much. It was silly, but fun in places,but my word it dragged.

4/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• -cerberus- 24 Nov 2012 17:04:09 2,697 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Clue

I absolutely love this movie. Such a deliciously over-acted and cleverly written flick based on a bloody good boardgame. Also: multiple endings!

8/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• MadCaddy13 24 Nov 2012 17:47:47 1,879 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Valkyrie

A little dodgy with the accents, some Germans are American, some English, some (most of them baddies) German.
    Plot was quite interesting but a little bland and straightforward, some really good actors though (yes even mr cruise).

65%
  • Toonster 25 Nov 2012 03:56:33 6,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Life of Pi - 9/10

Visually amazing and emotionally investing. Great adaptation and worth watching on the big screen. Some amazing CG work as well, especially on the tiger. I mean, you know it's CG, but not distracting. Main downside is that it is slightly marred by the awkward transitions between the narrator and the main story.

Overall, though, a real treat, and I hope it wins big during the awards season.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• sirtacos 25 Nov 2012 04:03:27 7,273 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Saw the trailer for Pi yesterday before Skyfall. It looked shit (then again I loved the book so hasty judgment is to be expected). Glad it's not the case.

Skyfall

Visually pleasing. Thomas Newman does the score, which I was pleasantly surprised by.
    Great cast. Javier Bardem adds a touch of genius to the film, even though his masterplan is a bit retarded. The main problem with Skyfall is that the plot is a bit shit considering the caliber of talent involved.

7/10
  • tuff 25 Nov 2012 08:47:16 624 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Intruders
    23%
    Dull Clive Owen

Five Year Engagement
    30%
    I stubbed my toe half way through and laughed more than I laughed at the film

Dark Knight Rises
    83%
    Yummy cat suit
  • skuzzbag 25 Nov 2012 08:50:59 5,638 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Marley - A 2 hour and 25 documentary about Bob Marley. Fantastic - covers his whole life and is absolutely brilliant 10/10
  • Nemesis 25 Nov 2012 10:37:56 18,606 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Clue

I absolutely love this movie. Such a deliciously over-acted and cleverly written flick based on a bloody good boardgame. Also: multiple endings!

8/10
    I forgot about this film, watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

90 minutes of watching the maid TBH, but so was Christopher Lloyd.
  • kentmonkey 25 Nov 2012 10:48:03 20,565 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Used up the last of the 'Five for £5' rental with Blockbusters.

Mission Impossible III

The wife really liked the previous MI films, not even she could get into this. As someone a little 'meh' to the previous two, it was quite hard watching. Nothing really happens, Pegg is irritating (and I like Pegg) and the whole concept about him and his wife just felt unnecessarily tagged on just to get another character into the film.

4/10

The Descendants

My choice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Some great acting by the two kids and a nice mix of wit and story. Can see it being a marmite film but really enjoyed it.

8/10

Men In Black 3

I wanted the Expendables, she wanted MiB 3, it was obvious who was going to win. Dialled in performance from everyone other than Josh Brolin and I didn't laugh once. It also managed to have some of the worst CGI outside of a Pierce Brosnan bond movie.

5/10
  • mrpon 25 Nov 2012 11:07:48 28,738 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Snowtown Murders (US Netflix)

Gritty, bleak, absorbing etc.. Really liked this, reminded me of Dead Mans Shoes in a way. As has been stated already, the lead guy was just fabulous. A real menace to his persona. I thought all the performances were top notch, is it me or do movies seem more realistic with no-name actors? Even more so here as this is a true story.

I hope the cross dressing grandad was dramatised.

PS: I needed subtitles on in a few places, audio/accents slightly muffled.

9/10

Edited by mrpon at 11:14:05 25-11-2012

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• sirtacos 25 Nov 2012 11:38:07 7,273 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, famous faces can get in the way. Especially when they have personalities to match their fame, e.g. Pacino. Hooaah

Dark City (Director's Cut)

Was good until the last 30 minutes. The final boss battle was hilarious. Loved the little touches, the atmosphere and the set design though.

6.5/10
  • -cerberus- 25 Nov 2012 11:57:40 2,697 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jeepers Creepers II

An interesting premise ruined by extremely annoying characters (part II features a bus full of stereotypical alpha male meatheaded jocks), bad pacing, lazy creature design. Fuck these movies.

3/10 for both

---

Paranorman

Now this I enjoyed very much! Lovely stop-motion ghost story with lovable characters, engaging story and stunning animations.

8/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 12:00:38 25-11-2012

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• speedofthepuma 25 Nov 2012 12:39:23 13,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MightyMetalMonkey wrote:
    The most recent version of spiderman - 80%

I never liked Gwenn, I want M-J.
    That aside, the film works reasonably well, I just prefered Sam Raimi's vision and version.
    My 3 year old loves Raimi's Spider-Man and it was on again this morning in our house.. I just think there wasn't point in trying to better it. The latest reboot brings nothing, and I love the character.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• speedofthepuma 25 Nov 2012 12:41:30 13,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh and Mission impossible 3 is my fave of the lot. True story.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• craigy Staff 25 Nov 2012 13:27:31 7,584 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook: 7/10
    The Master: 7/10
    Carrie 2: The Rage: 6/10
  • TechnoHippy 25 Nov 2012 14:05:47 14,707 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Special Forces

A French film about a special forces team rescuing a reporter taken hostage in Pakistan. I enjoyed it a lot, interesting story and well filmed. One of the better modern war films.

8/10

• beastmaster 25 Nov 2012 14:31:41 11,315 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just seen The Master. Will post a proper review of it later. Hmm...

Score probably what craigy gave it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TOOTR 25 Nov 2012 14:46:58 9,516 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Descendants

85%

Haywire

70%

21 Jump Street

85%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• beastmaster 25 Nov 2012 15:55:44 11,315 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Katy Perry Part Of Me - 7/10

Surprisingly decent documentary following her massive word tour. Much better than In Bed With Madonna.

Okay, it's full of cheese and schmaltzy and al the rest of it but it's quite insightful. It's covers her whole story. Her evangelist preacher parents, how she got her lucky break and her meteoritic rise to stardom.

There's plenty of behind the scenes footage and some that you really don't expect to see. Katy without makeup (YIKES! no seriously, YIKES!!!), just how totally exhausting doing a world tour is and her whole divorce with Russell Brand. Takes some guts to go up and do a stadium gig after finding out your divorce has come though.

It all has a happy ending though. There's not much concert footage in there (that'll probably be released at some other point) what there is is stunning. Much better than I expected.

The Master - 7/10

Masterpiece or masterbates? Is this really one of the greatest films ever made as some claim or a load of self-indulgent, pretentious cinematic wank?

It's both and for that reason it ends up being a good film and not a great one.

A drunk drifter who's been discharged from the navy has trouble adjusting to civilian life. He meets the head of a new cult called The Cause and offers him the chance to change.

The first hour is firmly in the masterpiece territory. It really is brilliant. The plot is really quite intriguing and you don't know where it's going to go. It's not based on Scientology (so the film makers say) but I think they're just trying to cover themselves.

There's a reveal after the first hour which puts a total different light on what's previously happened. The problem is that even though there's a lot of potential coming from this, the story and direction doesn't know what to do with the characters and what else to do with the plot. It doesn't really progress in any way whatsoever. This is what brings the film down.

The performances are oscar worthy from everyone involved and it looks beautiful. It's a very watchable film. Even though it looses it's way a lot in the second half it's still very watchable. The shame is that it could have explored other areas in the second half and made it the film that some people are claiming it is.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• mrpon 25 Nov 2012 15:59:52 28,738 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    It all has a happy ending though.
    TMI

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• CharlieStCloud 25 Nov 2012 16:25:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Silver Linings Playbook: 7/10
    The Master: 7/10
    ... didn't you give the latest (and last) Twilight film a higher rating than those two?!

You are mad.

I see a lot of 'The Descendants' love on this page, which makes me happy.

I always like George Clooney as an actor in his more serious films and this was no exception. The part that gets to me is when he finally tracks down 'Brian-fucking-Speer' and the following scene in the evening where he introduces himself as the husband. The whole gradual build up is brilliant.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 16:25:58 25-11-2012
  • Khanivor 25 Nov 2012 16:55:15 40,520 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Beasts of the Southern Wild - 7/10

A curious and bold piece of filmaking. It enjoys a bounty of good acting, with the little girl lead being quite something. Very inventive and visually enjoyable this film does suffer from being too heavy on the allegory in place of a more coherent story.

If I was trying to get into the knickers of an art student this film would be a ten.
  • Blotto 25 Nov 2012 17:21:50 2,772 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only just found out that "The Descendants" was written by Jim Rash who plays the Dean in community and that he won an Oscar for it.

Edited by Blotto at 17:22:03 25-11-2012
  • TechnoHippy 25 Nov 2012 17:55:48 14,707 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Starship Troopers Invasion

A new CG film, while its better than the previous effort it's not great. The cutscenes in Halo 4 looked and were anumated better - although they probably had a bigger budget.

It had a tits and arse moment which failed to live up to DOA standards.

It was however reasonably entertaining. And it's good to see Barret light fifties still being used in the future :-)

5/10

• Lunastra78 25 Nov 2012 18:00:04 6 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I Saw the Devil

Korean serial killer movie. Awesome acting from the bad guy (who also starred in OldBoy) but the plot dragged on a bit too long towards the end. Still, worth seeing.

7/10
  • Page

of 2749 First / Last