Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3589

• Page

of 3592 First / Last

• GarlVinland 27 Nov 2017 09:24:28 2,297 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Serenity - 9/10

Watched a Firefly and Serenity marathon over the weekend. Best thing Joss Whedon has ever made.
  • retro74 27 Nov 2017 12:10:21 2,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched The Polar Express and The Grinch over the weekend as the Xmas movie marathon continues

I think The Polar Express is a little bit shit to be honest, it's just plain annoying with the freaky little kids and the fake peril all the time. Was glad when it ended. Critically overrated IMO 34/100

The Grinch I enjoyed much more, Jim Carrey is excellent in it and it still stands up visually now. Possibly underrated 68/100
  • Dougs 27 Nov 2017 12:25:56 83,918 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Awwww, I love The Polar Express. Kids watch it at least half a dozen times in the run up. The Grinch is great too.

We've had a bit of an 80s revival - watched Romancing the Stone. Wasn't as good as I remembered as a kid tbh, 6/10.
  • dominalien 27 Nov 2017 12:42:42 8,356 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blade Runner 2049

It's all very dreamy. There's no music, just noise, except in the final scene of course. Could do with 15 minutes cut. The scene where the woman drops from the plastic bag and the dude cuts her up makes a point how he's evil and all, but is completely nonsensical otherwise, especially as he keeps going on about how he can't make enough of them fast enough.

I was very strongly reminded of a Gene Wolfe story The HORARS of War, where the protagonist can do more and does more because he thinks he is special, even though he really is not.

I did not particularly like how they thought they had to spell certain things out, especially as it can be delightfully understated otherwise, but I guess they know their audience better than I do.

9/10
  • mangojoe 27 Nov 2017 12:47:58 1,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reads like a 7
  • dominalien 27 Nov 2017 12:49:43 8,356 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know, right? It's brilliant.
  • mangojoe 27 Nov 2017 12:51:52 1,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I very much enjoyed it. Agree with your point though it needed to be slighly shorter.
  • Tonka 27 Nov 2017 12:57:39 26,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @dominalien wrt the droid dropping out of a gigantic plastic bag I hope it was part of a longer scene that was edited down.

I personally wish the film was one hour longer. Or two.
  • brokenkey 27 Nov 2017 14:18:26 9,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @dominalien wrt the droid dropping out of a gigantic plastic bag I hope it was part of a longer scene that was edited down.

It needed a lot more blood. I thought he'd pressed an on-off switch.
  • cowell 27 Nov 2017 14:28:32 1,376 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Baby Driver - 64/100

Lots to like. Visually and aurally brilliant as per usual for Edgar Wright. Amazing car chases obviously. Just didn't particularly care for the main character or the story. Its a solid couple of hours viewing and worth a watch, but far from a classic
  • Dougs 28 Nov 2017 08:23:39 83,918 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I loved it. Smart, funny, stylish. Protagonist was a bit of a dick, but he's meant to be.
  • gooner77 28 Nov 2017 08:26:36 1,202 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Justice League 5/10

Not bad and not good. I thought it was OK but it's let down by bad cgi, dumb plot and a rubbish villain
  • dominalien 28 Nov 2017 08:49:50 8,356 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Killing Season

I was looking forward to a film where De Niro isn't making an idiot of himself. I got Rambo instead, which is an improvement I suppose.

It's all very meh. Travolta looks cool in his hood and wacky beard.

I'm not really sure why this film was made and what it's trying to say. If you share a moment on a rock you're all right even if you're the biggest cunt in the world, perhaps?

meh/10
  • Zerobob 28 Nov 2017 13:32:26 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Logan Lucky - 6/10

Although it didn't take itself too seriously, I expected it to be a lot funnier and more of a comedy, but it was still entertaining, with a few genuinely funny moments that made me laugh. I just don't think Channing Tatum and Adam Driver are dynamic enough to be a comedy duo, and although I don't think this was ever the film's full intention, I felt a lot of the scenes could have been lifted with better comedic timing, more succinct dialogue, or both. The general pacing was good overall though, and I never felt the film dragged.

The thing that bothered me about the film was that, from a story structure point of view, I'm not sure what our main protagonist Jimmy Logan (Channing Tatum) really learned from the whole experience, or any of the characters for that matter. Any form of character development seemed strangely absent. The heist was planned, the heist was executed and we, as the viewer, learn that the Logan brothers are much better at planning than their hillbilly accents would suggest... but what did the protagonist learn from the experience? How did he grow as a person throughout the film? In short, he didn't. Things just happened, but maybe not as you might expect, and really that's the only payoff that the film offers. Maybe I'm over-analysing what's meant to be a breezy and fun experience, but it felt like the film was trying to say a few things, yet never quite finished its sentences.

I never mention on plot specifics when I write reviews, but I'm going to make an exception and pose a question for people who've seen the film, because I either missed something, or the plot was simply badly written for this specific part of the film: The Logan brothers recruit Joe Bang (Daniel Craig) specifically to blow the vault open and, as far as I'm aware, we never see them plan any specifics with him. I think it's safe to assume they must have talked to him about the "money tubes" that go into the vault at some point though. Then, literally there and then, at the scene of the heist on the day, Daniel Craig constructs the weird explosive using the gummy bears etc. and explains the science behind it. The Logan brothers then openly admit they thought he was going to blow through the vault wall with dynamite, or similar, so this part of the heist is seemingly executed completely ad hoc. However, they subsequently just happen have a vacuum machine standing by to suck the money out of the vault, as well as a solid plan to get the money out of the Nascar stadium in bin bags. But how could they plan this latter section of the heist if they had no idea what method Daniel Craig was going to blow open the vault? The only way the vacuum machine could have been put to any use was in conjunction with the tube into the vault, but up until this point the Logan brothers assumed they'd be blowing a hole in the vault wall, so the vacuum machine would have been no use.

I can only assume the plan was always to vacuum the money out of the vault via the tube and there was some unfortunate / confusing dialogue in this scene... but no... Daniel Craig clearly explains to the Logan brothers during this scene that "we don't need to blow through the [vault] wall" using dynamite, and that "them tubes in the venting system is our in" to the vault. So therefore, at this point, the method of accessing the vault and liberating the cash must still have been completely up for debate, therefore no further planning beyond this point would have been possible.

This may seem like a small thing to get caught up on, but the method and planning of the heist is key to a heist film, especially considering the further planning and execution required for twist at the end of the film to succeed. I couldn't stop thinking about this plot specific for the rest of the film. It bothers me immensely when I have to constantly question a dumb plot instead of enjoying a film, otherwise I'd have rated the film higher.

Overall it was an entertaining enough watch with some decent enough performances, but I couldn't give it full marks due to a story that was unsatisfying due to a major lack of character development and (as far as I can see, I'm happy to be corrected) it had a fairly major plot hole, one that bizarrely could easily have been avoided. It's a shame because I really wanted to like this film ever since I first saw the trailer.
  • Blakester 28 Nov 2017 17:19:30 4,256 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Justice League

Not content with churning out an incoherent mess of a film with unintentional comedy and a pixelated weak-sauce villain, they somehow found a way of turning Batman into the least cool superhero of recent times. That's some achievement!

3/10
  • The_Goon 28 Nov 2017 21:21:20 622 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Accountant - 90/100

Had been meaning to watch this for a while but didn’t have any expectations of it. Absolutely loved it. Great action movie. You can dislike Affleck all you want but the movie is solid. Would love to see a sequel.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 28 Nov 2017 21:30:09 1,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dune (TV CUT) 4/10

Jesus christ, why did they choose Lynch for this? Production, sets and costumes are amazing, direction is just haphazard and so un-like a Lynch film.

Feels like it was ruined right after post-production.
  • anephric 28 Nov 2017 21:37:49 2,751 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The TV cut is better/worse than the theatrical version. Better, in than it fleshed out some of the Fremen stuff: worse, in that it's censored for network TV, has unfinished and recycled FX shots, and a terrible redone opening narration.

There's a lot of things you can say about Dune, but it's full of Lynchian moments: the montages for example. The moon shots look straight out of Eraserhead. And the industrial nature of Giedi Prime, completely Lynchian.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 28 Nov 2017 22:29:18 1,293 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh yeah, I fucking love Lynch and this is sooooo lynch, but also isn't. It looks incredible but is let down by so many things.

And the fucking soundtrack, it's teasing you with awesome and then shitting on you with awfulness.

It's a fucking mess
  • mrharvest 29 Nov 2017 03:48:21 5,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I quite liked the Dune movie. I think it's... Interesting.

But I watched Knowing maybe a day or two ago. So here is another instalment of Mr Harvest's alternate movie plots:
    There once was a highly advanced species of aliens, who had evolved to the point that they had turned into beings of pure energy. Also as happens with such extremes of evolution, their species had become regrettably infertile.

But no worries! They could always conveniently start a few colonies where they'd selectively breed new energy aliens. As they were composed of energy, they weren't too worried about things taking a while - after all, what's time when you can't die?

So, our movie takes place on planet earth, which is one of the energy aliens' cattle ranches. Things have been chugging along nicely, some puny earthlings inevitably die but that's hardly much concern as there's plenty of breeding grounds elsewhere in the galaxy, and can't have evolution without breaking a few humans.

Except then there's going to be a pesky solar flare that'll wipe out everything living on earth. What a pickle! So, the aliens decide to pack up a few choice specimens, ferry them to another planet and let all the rest turn into so much burnt toast. The end.

Mildly disappointing / 100
  • Khanivor 29 Nov 2017 04:57:54 43,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Coco - 8/10

Gorgeous, touching and Pixar’a most consistently maturely-themed movie yet. In Dante the dog they’ve created an instant classic character.

I’m fairly sure this will climb a point in score on repeat viewings.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Nov 2017 05:05:04 16,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm glad that Disney haven't completely ruined Pixar yet. Coco is definitely on the list.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 19:42:12 30-11-2017
  • GarlVinland 30 Nov 2017 14:45:09 2,297 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got a screening of The Room booked for next week. I have no idea what I'm in for.
  • drhickman1983 2 Dec 2017 21:21:42 5,008 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get Out

Good thriller / horror in the kinda Stepford Wives mould, which most of you would know by now as I'm rather late in getting round to watching it.

The performances are pretty good, and there's just enough grounding in the first couple of acts to make the final, slightly nuts act work.

8/10
  • retro74 3 Dec 2017 20:01:51 2,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - not as good as I remember and I didn't remember it being that good anyway 25/100

As an aside I only just learnt recently that Chevy Chase is actually a town in America
  • Bichii 3 Dec 2017 20:28:48 202 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Kingsman 2.

Loved the original, probably an 8/10 but was incredibly bored in this one. 5.
  • Dougs 3 Dec 2017 20:37:05 83,918 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Christmas Vacation is a stone cold classic imo. It dips a bit in the middle, but the start and end is brilliant. Christmas Eve watch every year here...
  • MadCaddy13 3 Dec 2017 21:04:38 2,673 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Train to Busan

Really enjoyed this one, freaky and quick zombies, the worst kind!
    was a shame that so many characters died, mostly because of that train CEO guy [\spoiler]

One of the better zombie flicks I’ve seen in recent years

8/10

Edited by MadCaddy13 at 21:04:53 03-12-2017
  • anephric 3 Dec 2017 22:44:07 2,751 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Tiger

Directed by Hoon-jung Park, who wrote I saw the Devil.

Set during the Japanese annexation of Korea, a hunter's life is entwined with one of the last tigers, who the Japanese are systematically wiping out.

A little bit bloated and a little bit overly emotive (which isn't unusual for a Korean blockbuster), this lays on the symbolism heavily and is still quite rousing and moving. Beautifully photographed. The CG tiger(s) are tops.

I may have got sweaty man eyes at certain points.

80/100.
  • Page

of 3592 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.