Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    😱
  • rice_sandwich 7 Sep 2017 11:28:42 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gregolution

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234277/nusfjord

Little known about it apart from some glimpses in videos. It certainly appears less heavy/complex than Odin, Caverna, Agricola etc.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 7 Sep 2017 11:59:36 853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Actually... I'm going to buy Catan Junior instead.
    I can sell you my copy. The kids weren't impressed by it at all and we all found it a bit boring.
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2017 12:34:42 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh no... I was getting my hopes up for it.

I need something a bit simpler than Takenoko som that my five year old can do more than just act as a force of chaos yet more interesting than Monopoly Junior (that my wife thinks we should buy)

Sadly I think it will be cheaper for me to buy a copy here in Sweden than have you ship one to me. Otherwise I'd take you up on the offer. If only for the less stupid looking cover.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Sep 2017 13:33:43 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/7/legacy-of-dragonholt/

A fantasy themed, narrative driven, choose your own adventure type game for 1 to 6 players. Possibly spanning the gap between traditional RPG and more dungeon crawler themed board games.
  • BearFishPie 7 Sep 2017 16:08:58 394 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka We've played through two of the Exit games (abandoned cabin and Pharaoh's tomb). They're brilliant puzzle games, very cleverly designed and very much worth engaging with, even at one play per game. Some of the puzzles are designed with the intent that you destroy components, however we've managed to beat both without resorting to that, thanks to judicious use of pen and paper (and scissors!), or more careful observation than would normally be required, to solve the puzzles. Anything which would normally be destroyed can fairly easily be roughly duplicated instead.
  • BearFishPie 7 Sep 2017 16:12:57 394 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Of course, destroying the components is a lot less of a fact, and faster, but it's good to have the choice. We went in thinking we'd avoid destruction if we reckoned we could, and if not - c'est la vie.
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2017 19:26:34 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds good. As I said I've passed the point where I know that she or later I'll buy one.

Bought Catan Junior today and played it with my sons whilst the missus was at a PTA meeting. We had a great time. The littlest one focused on buying parrot cards over and over again. Thanks too a rules gaffe I made he was swimming in loot so he bought a lot of the parrot cards.

The eldest won thanks mostly to him playing well.
  • BearFishPie 7 Sep 2017 19:59:39 394 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka I wonder if it's the same rules gaffe I made, having missed you can only use the marketplace once per turn. You can thus abuse the market to get the exact configuration of gear you want by chaining transactions.

Agreed it's a fun, light and speedy family game.
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2017 06:25:44 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OK... it seems we made two rules gaffes...

The first one was that I counted the fortress Kid S built on Skull Island when handing out loot.

I was a bit confused by the market stuff though. Was there a set order to it or could you (as we did) go wild and trade and swap and buy and ask Cocco for help in any order? Doesn't really matter TBH... we had a great time and the kids got into the whole upsycling mechanic.

But I guess I better go through the rules a second time.
  • Gregolution 11 Sep 2017 15:11:49 8,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Opinions needed. 1v1 strategy games, what are your favourites?

I've got Forbidden Stars but haven't even taken the wrapping off it. Some say it's best with 2 others say it's best with 4 to see race variations, no idea which is true.

What's all of your opinion on a really good 2 player strategy game? Doesn't have to be restricted to 2 players only but one that's genuinely great to play 2 player.

So far my list includes Twilight Struggle and Star Wars Rebellion.

P.S Dragonfire pre ordered!

Edited by Gregolution at 15:12:03 11-09-2017
  • rice_sandwich 11 Sep 2017 15:17:00 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gregolution

What do you mean by strategy game? Is that games involving player conflict and head on competition or just a heavier/more complex game in general?
  • Gregolution 11 Sep 2017 15:32:30 8,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

I think player conflict head on competition. I guess most games are competitive overall, but I mean something that's a bit more head on such as
    The war of the ring, twilight struggle, SW Rebellion, Forbidden stars.

Not Terra Mystica, Feast, Porta Rico.
  • disusedgenius 11 Sep 2017 15:40:53 8,351 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm presuming you're after single box games, rather than collectable games?

If so I'd recommend Memoir 44 for sure. Though Twilight Struggle and SW Rebellion are both strong choices as well.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Sep 2017 15:49:33 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Or look at Command & Colours Ancients or Napoleonic if you're looking for something more complex. I recently bought Conflict of Heroes. It's a pretty good ww2 tactical game. The 20 page rule book is quite easy to understand.

If you really want to push the boat out and go all in consider something like:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191351/absolute-victory-world-conflict-1939-1945
  • Gregolution 11 Sep 2017 16:00:23 8,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    goodness me that board! I think I'd go blind staring that for too long.
  • LittleSparra 11 Sep 2017 16:01:12 6,607 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone played this?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105551/archipelago

Seems like my kinda game.
  • Gregolution 11 Sep 2017 16:29:21 8,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I suppose Scythe would count as a competitive game.... seems to have cleaned up completely in the 2016 golden geek awards.
  • Nemesis 11 Sep 2017 18:18:46 19,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I keep looking at Scythe. The Automa stuff looks really interesting!

Well after saying I wasn't buying LOTR LCG blah blah I found myself sitting at a table in the local game shop sleeving 200+ cards with Mrs Nem and •really• enjoying it. Went for the matt Dragon Shield sleeves and they're superb. It's really really pretty.

Also as a good 20 minute gateway game we had a few goes with Machi Koro. Nice little game and nothing taxing. Roll dice. Collect cards. Get money. Build things. Nice 20 quid game and it looks quite lovely too.
  • Nemesis 11 Sep 2017 18:19:39 19,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I suppose Scythe would count as a competitive game.... seems to have cleaned up completely in the 2016 golden geek awards.
    Do bear in mind the board is chuffing huge!
  • Gregolution 11 Sep 2017 19:10:15 8,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    So is SW Rebellion I believe.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Sep 2017 21:20:41 6,418 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    You can also buy an extra 1/3 of a board if it's not quite big enough!
  • Nemesis 11 Sep 2017 22:21:27 19,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't think my old man bones can take putting gaming boards across the floor which is what would happen.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 05:49:04 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's also the set up time to consider. I'd like to try Scythe solo but it's too much of a project to just get started. I always opt for Shadowrun Crossfire instead
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 06:37:25 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh shit... I have started watching an inordinate number of reviews & how-to-plays of The Gallerist. It can only mean one thing...

I really should get Chinatown instead because then I'd at least have a chance to play it with friends.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 07:02:28 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka

The Gallerist is nothing more than a slightly souped up worker placement game. It's a fine game but I wouldn't strongly recommend it over any other wp game, unless you really love wp games. The board is huge and the box is massive and hard to fit on a shelf. Troyes is perhaps a better option.

Essen is soon. Check out some upcoming games instead!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/229927/my-ultimate-essen-spiel-17-interest-list
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 07:12:05 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I do like worker placement games. A lot. Plus I like the theme of The Gallerist. The massive box is a bit of a problem though. I've heard good things about Troyes but the theme and artwork leaves me cold. Bit sad since I like the idea of chucking a bucket full of dice down my awesome dicetower a friend printed for me as a birthday gift.

Is that your list btw? On bgg

Edited by Tonka at 07:12:49 12-09-2017
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 07:18:06 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, Troyes is an old game. It has an expansion as well. The Gallerist isn't any more thematic than Troyes, or any other wp euro tbh. It's elegant but it's really nothing to get super excited about and it's not a game I play often. I'm glad to have it but I wouldn't place it in my top 10 or 20 games. It's the only game I've kickstarter so my level of interest was very high before I played it.

Edit: No, it's not my list. There are a lot of Essen lists on bgg atm. Usually one or two of the bigger lists become popular and give a good overview of upcoming games. I usually check Rahdo's lists as he focuses on 2p (although he likes fantasy and sci-fi themes much more than me).

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:39:18 12-09-2017
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 07:25:01 2,639 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Here's a list of Essen 2017 lists:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/225157/essen-2017-collection-lists

Agra looks promising.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 07:49:40 26,047 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    The Gallerist isn't any more thematic than Troyes, or any other wp euro tbh.
    What I meant was that I like art and art galleries more than medieval cities. I also prefer the look of The Gallerist over Troyes. Childish I know, but if I'm going to look at something for three hours straight I rather it be pretty.

You do make a good point that in the end it's gameplay that matters most with wp euros.
  • Page

of 226 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.