Boardgames anyone? Page 221

• Page

of 226 First / Last

• Tonka 6 Sep 2017 06:14:34 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution Shadowrun Crossfire. A co-op deck builder with light legacy features.

Also known for being really hard to beat AND an excellent solo game.
  • BearFishPie 6 Sep 2017 07:26:08 394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka I'm not tremendously invested in the settings of either Dragonfire or Shadowrun Crossfire, so which one to spring for will come down to whichever is the better two player co-op game. I'm a little wary of Dragonfire on that note, given it started out designed for 3+ and got retrofitted to 2+, but will keep an eye on its reception. Either way, I reckon once of them is ending up in my house and can't wait!
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 08:03:36 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Gregolution Shadowrun Crossfire. A co-op deck builder with light legacy features.

Also known for being really hard to beat AND an excellent solo game.
    Oh ok, I know of crossfire, because I've been so hyped about Dragonfire. :D Just lost track of what you guys were referring to in all that chat lol.

I think for me it's DragonFire all the way. All those d&d references hold too much nostalgia to resist.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2017 09:13:17 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BearFishPie

I played a game of Shadowrun Crossfire last night and it was a blast as always. But it's a different game playing solo. More of a really intricate puzzle than anything.

I love that game.

I saw the two player version of Caverns yesterday. Cheap as chips compared to what I have been paying for games. If it's a two player game you're after maybe have a look at that.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 09:59:33 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems like they've already got more plans for dragonfire expansions than shadowrun had in its lifetime and the rules are improved. Unless your'e really serious about the theme, I don't know why you'd look for crossfire over dragonfire?
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2017 10:05:16 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like the look of both Shadowfire and Dragonfire in terms of gameplay but the themes really put me off. I somehow dislike fantasy and sci-fi themes in boardgames but quite like them in video games. Weird.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2017 10:19:08 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution Seems like Shadowrun might have better solo/two player. But we won't know for sure until Dragonfire has been out for a while. Also, there are some suspicions that Dragonfire is dumbed down for spoilt n00bs that can't handle losing.

Shadowrun Crossfire is notorious for how it chucks people in the deep and and then whacks them with a baseball bat when they come up for air.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2017 10:21:00 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich so what themes does that leave? Zombies and Vikings? Or don't you like themes at all?

I was skeptical of the Cyberbunk/Fantasy mix in Shadowrun but I don't notice the theme that much TBH. It's cool art on the cards and little else
  • dazcox5181 6 Sep 2017 10:26:49 588 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darn was going to order descent 2nd ed on amazon, but gone to several months delivery. Sucks not having a good local game shop.

Still on the fence about it so maybe a blessing....

Got the family (wife and eldest -8 ) into Catan on a holiday last week though,
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2017 10:28:49 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka

I only like lovecraftian and historical stuff, or other realistic themes that don't suit combat based games.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 10:41:38 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Also, there are some suspicions that Dragonfire is dumbed down for spoilt n00bs that can't handle losing.

Shadowrun Crossfire is notorious for how it chucks people in the deep and and then whacks them with a baseball bat when they come up for air.
    Everything I've read says it's more an improved tweak rather than a dumbing down. Shadow run was apparently a bit over the top. Dragonfire still very very difficult. Most people on BGG already complaining it's impossible - which is a good sign :)

So you said they're reprinting shadowrun as well though? where / when?
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 10:42:41 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dazcox5181

Board game guru has a copy for 55 quid.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2017 10:47:20 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    So you said they're reprinting shadowrun as well though? where / when?
    No firm date yet.

WRT the difficulty I think some of it is alleviated when soloing. You have full control of all the cards and how they are played so the ability to pull off some really interesting combos is bigger.

I think. Playing it with friends felt a bit weird to me.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 10:54:30 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I'd be looking to play it with my wife and son.

Solo board gaming... I just feel like I should be playing a video game when I try it. I got into board gaming to get a bit of interaction going in the house.

Not to dismiss others solo board gaming, I just think it's not for me.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2017 11:21:55 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Has anyone played Kingdomino? I'm wondering if it's worth adding as a quick to play, fairly light game.
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2017 12:06:55 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Solo board gaming... I just feel like I should be playing a video game when I try it. I got into board gaming to get a bit of interaction going in the house.
    It is a bit weird I agree. For me it's a way to get away from my gods damned phone. I love sitting down with something physical, something that reflects the world around it rather than project itself into it. The beauty of SR:CF is that the set up time is about five minutes.

I do play Takenoko with my family every now and then and it's great fun. Been pondering getting Catan Jr. for my eldest this Christmas so we have another title to play.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2017 12:11:08 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like the puzzle aspect of solo games. While most games are better in mp, there are some that are very playable in solo mode. Then there's solo only games which tend to work well as variable puzzles to be solved. It makes a change from staring at screens all the time. A Feast for Odin is possibly better in solo mode than mp.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 12:58:23 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair enough. Mage Knight is probably my favourite board game and considered better in solo but my son loves it and always harasses me to play it with him (he's a very strange child liking that sort of game at his age).

I understand what you're both saying. Maybe I'll grow into it :D.

I actually played the tutorial of Warhammer quest card game solo last night to learn the rules. Liked the look of it but I felt like I was missing out on those discussions around the table of when to help each other or which enemy to engage.

Maybe having been such a video gamer for so many years I'm just embracing the interaction a hell of a lot at the moment!
  • Nemesis 6 Sep 2017 15:16:28 19,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For me, the whole board gaming love grew out a need to reconnect to the family. I'd started to notice tech *everywhere* from consoles, TVs, phones, and so on. I was surrounded by it during the day and just felt I needed to be away from it.

I was also missing the gaming nights of old, a Saturday night exploring the maps of HeroQuest.

I've not found a decent solo game I can connect to. I enjoyed, kinda, Descent with the app, but it felt a bit cold really. I wasn't engrossed in it. I could appreciate the mechanics, but I've always felt with Descent there was no consequence to failure. OK, so the Overlord gets certain things in the next game, but I wasn't invested.

So when we do game, as a family, it tends to be lighter stuff. Tsuro. Settlers of Catan. Love Letter. That way we are more than likely to get everyone to play, and it's not rules heavy.

The other group, the friends group, well that's Blood Rage, Eclipse, GoT, Descent, Arkham Horror, Last Night. Stuff like that. Yet, oddly enough, I still really like to get going with the game and not get too stuck into figuring out too many rules. Hells, for Blood Rage we had to sit down with Watch It Played and then it all made sense.

Solo for me, I do like doing a few rounds just to get the rules down properly before the group turns up. There will always be something, but if I can get through a few rounds and be able to explain *why* we are doing what we're doing it's all good. Plus I like messing around with the boards and suchlike. If I don't do this, the rules tend not to make much sense. A Youtube walkthrough does a good job as well of going over a few points here and there.

These days everyone is busy. So it's solo or nothing. /shrug/ so I'll keep looking for that game.
  • BearFishPie 6 Sep 2017 15:21:39 394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka Caverna Cave vs Cave (I'm assuming you meant that and got autocorrected) does sound really fun but we're practically drowning in worker placement games now so I think we're near saturation point. I think given how much we've enjoyed 2p Big Book of Madness and Arkham Horror LCG that we'll get a kick out of Dragon/Crossfire, whichever seems the better fit. And to be fair if it's not a co-op success I'll probably just solo it anyway!
  • whatfruitlivesagain 6 Sep 2017 15:43:55 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Hi All,

I'm currently looking to recruit players for an RPG group on Roll 20, the group is to meet weekly or bi weekly on Tuesday or Wednesday at 7:00pm BST. I am planning to run Shadow of The Demon Lord which is a dark fantasy rules light D20 game. It is D20 based but strips out a lot of non combat and fiddly guff and relies on just four key stats.

This is my first time as a GM of an online game so would ideally be looking for nice people to bear with a rookie GM. If anyone is interested or has any questions please fire away.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2017 15:59:06 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    For me, the whole board gaming love grew out a need to reconnect to the family. I'd started to notice tech *everywhere* from consoles, TVs, phones, and so on. I was surrounded by it during the day and just felt I needed to be away from it.

THIS.

And it's worked absolute wonders. Just about to set up Imperial Assault as a treat for my 2 boys after first day back at school.

Board games have been a huge success for more family interaction. Well worth every penny.

I would like a regular weekly gaming group though. Haven't got many mates into this hobby that live near by.

Edited by Gregolution at 16:00:53 06-09-2017
  • rice_sandwich 6 Sep 2017 16:24:12 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I also like to set up games and learn them so that I'm able to teach the rules with the minimum of fuss. We mostly play 2p so I'm keen that a game gets a decent showing the first time it hits the table.

Last night I set up Istanbul and learned it in about 20 minutes It looks to be a straightforward lighter game in the base game but turns into a real brain burner when both expansions are added. The plan is to play the base game a decent amount of times before adding in the first expansion.

Right now I'm solo learning Conquest of Heroes (which will only be played solo) and then looking to set up an ongoing Eldritch Horror game where I run through all the scenarios and possible setups, aiming to chalk up various achievements over time.
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2017 08:01:20 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has anyone tried any of the Exit games? The "escape room in a box" if you know what I mean. I'm thinking of playing one with my wife but seeing how they're one shot I wondered if they can be passed on afterwards.

If that's the case then I can get one of my friends to buy a different one and swap and Hey presto. Twice the fun for the money!

I know it still comes in a bit cheaper than the two of us going to the movies so I'll get one eventually. The "lend it to someone else" aspect makes it feel like a better investment though.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Sep 2017 08:51:02 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka

I haven't tried them but looked into them. You generallt have to destroy or write on components so the games are not transferable to others. You can work around it by copying components but it's a bit of work.
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2017 09:25:48 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I suspected as much. Fair play though seeing as every cat and her dog would be doing a massive swap circle via facebook if the games weren't destructive by design.

I've reached a stage where I know I'll buy one. It's just a question of wether or not they have them at my local game store (we're not doing the FLG TLA in here are we?) and if their price is competitive compared to on-line retailers.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Sep 2017 09:52:02 2,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I might get one and put it away for the Christmas holidays. They're selling for around 10-13 online in the UK. Kingdomino is 14.99 so it looks like a better buy given it's replayable.

Board games have been on a real high in the last couple of years and I'm starting to check a lot more now after being quite careful in purchases over the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm disappointed to see that the new Rosenberg game looks to be a rather lightweight affair, at least compared to his usual standards.
  • Tonka 7 Sep 2017 10:31:19 26,047 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Actually... I'm going to buy Catan Junior instead.
  • Gregolution 7 Sep 2017 10:56:32 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I might get one and put it away for the Christmas holidays. They're selling for around 10-13 online in the UK. Kingdomino is 14.99 so it looks like a better buy given it's replayable.

Board games have been on a real high in the last couple of years and I'm starting to check a lot more now after being quite careful in purchases over the last 2 or 3 years.

I'm disappointed to see that the new Rosenberg game looks to be a rather lightweight affair, at least compared to his usual standards.
    A Feast for Odin? Or something after it?

Edited by Gregolution at 10:56:38 07-09-2017
  • Gregolution 7 Sep 2017 10:57:09 8,470 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like I'm now going to buy DragonFire AND the ShadowRun 1.5 update. It looks so much my cup of tea, I need it ALL!
  • Page

of 226 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.