Boardgames anyone? Page 3

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• phAge 29 Mar 2010 15:57:03 24,337 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    For me, boardgames are all about the social interaction. Something like Dominion or Carcassone or Talisman are dead simple to pick up and even complete noobs are having fun after a few turns.

It's why Arkham fails. The complexity is a barrier to people joining in. Although it's great it's a co-op game, the rules are just so complicated I can't be arsed trying to explain them to anyone, and I can't imagine any of my friends jumping at the chance to spend hours on end trying to get the hang of some terrible complicated set of rules. In any case, I've forgotten what it was all about now anyway, and even when I understood it there was some counter somewhere that I would inevitably forget to increase.
    Try Space Alert, then. It's co-op as well, and there ARE a lot of rules - but they are logical, intuitive and it introduces them over 3-4 games meaning that unless your mates are a bit thick, they'll be gaming withing 20 minutes - and loving it. Space Alert also requires - nay, demands loads of interaction between players, and the added time pressure mans that no one player can assume the role of "puppet master" and order the other ones around.

It really is a new, awesome experience for anyone with even the slightest interest in boardgames.
  • brokenkey 29 Mar 2010 16:05:49 6,945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    For me, boardgames are all about the social interaction. Something like Dominion or Carcassone or Talisman are dead simple to pick up and even complete noobs are having fun after a few turns.

You would love Bohnanza. My wife bought it me for valentine's day and we've methodically been introducing everyone we know to it (even her aged grandma loves it!).

The rules are pretty simple, and it's really a game about negotiation. Honestly, if you like Dominion give it a go.

/end "pimp Bohnanza" rant

Are we allowed to pimp?

Then let me pimp Eclectic Games in Reading, just by the train station. Terrific shop.
    http://www.eclecticgames.co.uk/

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• JoeBlade 29 Mar 2010 18:16:44 2,492 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    You would love Bohnanza. My wife bought it me for valentine's day and we've methodically been introducing everyone we know to it (even her aged grandma loves it!).

The rules are pretty simple, and it's really a game about negotiation. Honestly, if you like Dominion give it a go.

/end "pimp Bohnanza" rant
    I wholeheartedly second that. I've only played a handful of Bohnanza games with my mates while dreadfully pished and it was mighty fun. The fact that we all still managed to play properly despite our, um, blessed state says enough about the complexity (or lack thereof), yet despite the simple rules the game has a lot of depth.

Second only to BANG! in the card games department as far as I'm concerned :)
  • tenofspades 29 Mar 2010 19:44:29 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    don't suppose there are online versions of less common board games?(ie. not monopoly, chess, draughts etc)
  • AccidentProne 29 Mar 2010 20:06:22 1,153 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's a downloadable version of Race for the Galaxy here http://keldon.net/rftg/

You just play against the computer though, not online and apparently it cheats. Still helps to learn the game I guess.

There are a few on XBox Live too (Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride and possibly some others?), I've only tried the demos of these though. They seemed pretty good, but as they're quite old I assumed nobody would be playing them online anymore.
  • KingOfSpain 11 Oct 2010 13:01:56 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, after the frankly awesome article over at Rock Paper Shotgun about the Battlestar Galactica game, I'm thinking about picking it up.

Anyone got any experiences with it?
  • quadfather 11 Oct 2010 13:10:24 11,864 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A Sunday afternoon session with beers playing talisman is time well spent imo.

And the original Haunted House by Deny's Fisher games was good. When I was 10.

Sold a lot though over time, but still have talisman and all it's expansions, but can't find the requisite number of like minded people to play it again

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• RetardStrong 11 Oct 2010 13:11:06 3,229 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The new edition of Space Hulk is pretty cool, only played it a few times though.

This reminds me, on another forum I used to hang around, there was a group that played D&D online (not the pc game but the boardgame, played over the internet) apparently there are lots of tools available (for keeping character sheets, dice rolls etc.) I always thought that was pretty cool. Although it's something that takes a lot of planning, writing etc. on the DM's part.
  • Tyggen 11 Oct 2010 16:00:59 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll have to re-recommend a few games listed earlier here:

Dominion is a fantastic game. It takes 30 mins to learn, and after that it's fun every game.

Arkham Horror is great if you have the time to really sit down and play a game. A typical session takes 45-90 minutes, and you'll need a good 2-3 hours learning the game before you start getting into it. Afterwards it's well worth the effort though.

Munchkin, with it's many expansions, is a great game if you want to sit down for 10-20 minutes, or play several times. Doesn't take any effort to learn (except the years spent memorizing movie-cliches) and stabbing your lv 9 buddy in the back is as good as it gets :)
  • RyanDS 11 Oct 2010 16:06:47 9,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My own choices:

Settlers of Catan: Absolutely sublime, easy to learn, fun to play. Really best with 4 players. 2 is a bit rubbish. Pretty much the perfect boardgame.

Arkham Horror: Currently my favourite game but the learning curve is bloody steep. Once you know the rules it is fun though. Good solo or with anything up to 8 people. I often play solo games when bored.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with any of the following, numbers are my recomended players.

Carcossone: 3+
    Dominion: 3+
    Lost Cities: 2
    Shadows Over Camelot: 4+
    Pandemic: 1+ (Coop game, one person can play multiple pieces.)
    Talisman: Fun, but very random, no skill involved. 2+
    Ticket to Ride: 3+
    Thurns & Taxis: 3+
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 11:39:54 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So my first experience playing the Battlestar Galactica Board Game went very, very well. Nobody at the table had any real experience with board games apart from the usual (Monopoly, Game of Life, Naked Oiled up Twister, you know, the normal stuff!!) but everyone really got into it.

It took a little time explaining the rules to everyone but after an hour or so we were well into it. The great thing about the game was that it encourages the players to roleplay without them really knowing about it. Accusations were being thrown around, humans were being wrongly tossed into the brig for being Cylons, lies were told and friends betrayed. We had two games Humans won one and Clyons won one. Was a shame that I was on the losing side each time :)

If anyone's not played BSG before, I highly recommend it. 5 of the 6 people at the table had seen (and loved) the show so that helped but the one person who hadn't also enjoyed himself and is now tracking down the DVDs.

The night was such a success that we have planed another gaming night in two weeks time were, as well as BSG, we'll be cracking open another game, maybe Pandemic.
  • Chopsen 18 Oct 2010 12:04:23 15,727 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, interesting. Might give that a go. What put me off BSG was the fact it's a 3 player minimum, and normally I like to play with the wife 1st before unleashing in on friends.

How complicated is it? That's what really puts me off usually.
  • MisterFalseName 18 Oct 2010 12:08:48 988 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone mentioned Power Grid yet? Brilliant little game about building power stations and powering cities, using increasingly dwindling natural resources. The best thing about it is because the resources are limited, the prices naturally go up as more people go for them - at the start of the game, uranium is ridiculously expensive, but when coal is almost used up at the end, it costs an arm and a leg to power your old plants.

Great game!
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 12:14:41 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a 2 player variant rules on the Fantasy Flight website but I think the game will lose so much of what makes it special doing this. I can see how it would work with 3 players but I would try to get at least 4 round the table if you could.

It's not the most complicated game in the world. The rules are quite simple but there is a lot going on at any one time. Different characters have different special abilities and revealed Cylons can do different things to undercover Cylons and the humans but after a couple of rounds you'll get the hang of it.

As long as you have a group who are open to the idea of almost roleplaying the characters I think you'll really enjoy it.

EDIT - Was a reply to Chopsen.
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 12:20:08 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MisterFalseName wrote:
    Anyone mentioned Power Grid yet? Brilliant little game about building power stations and powering cities, using increasingly dwindling natural resources. The best thing about it is because the resources are limited, the prices naturally go up as more people go for them - at the start of the game, uranium is ridiculously expensive, but when coal is almost used up at the end, it costs an arm and a leg to power your old plants.

Great game!

I'll do a bit of research into this, we're looking for another, slightly shorter game, for our game nights.
  • Chopsen 18 Oct 2010 12:35:21 15,727 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hmmm. can't see how a 2 player version would work.

"One of us I a cylon, and it's not me. It's you! Yay! Er....Another game?"
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 12:41:19 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    hmmm. can't see how a 2 player version would work.

"One of us I a cylon, and it's not me. It's you! Yay! Er....Another game?"

I think the 2 player rules make it a co-op game where you are both working to get the humans to Kobal. The game mechanics mostly stay the same but you miss out on the intrigue, suspicion and joy of tossing a Cylon into the brig before they reveal themselves!

If you do get it, let us know how the night goes.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a bigger board game presence on EG.
  • Onny 18 Oct 2010 12:53:13 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really want BSG - I loved the show, and the idea behind the game is great. Sadly, though, I very rarely get to play with more than 2 players (myself and the ladywife) - so I can't really justify a purchase.

In better news, I recently treated myself and bought Forbidden Island. It's a very good, simple co-op game, where each player is an adventurer and you attempt to collect four treasures before the titular island sinks. Each game only takes about 30 mins, and in the later stages it gets extremely tense as more and more of the island disappears beneath the waves.

I'm semi-tempted to pick up Pandemic now, since it's written by the same guy but apparently offers more depth.
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 13:45:13 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just been thinking...I had 5 other players round the table this week for BSG and I was going to introduce them to Pandemic, but, it's only a 4 player game.

Does anyone else know of anything similer but with 6 players, or even any good 6 player games?
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2010 13:53:35 9,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Catan plus expansion is great.

If you want co-op the Shadows over Camelot is amazing, as is Arkham Horror. (Although Arkham you'd need someone very familiar with the game to keep it flowing.)
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 13:57:25 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've heard Shadows over Camelot is a lot like BSG. This is going to sound like a silly question but, has it good a good theme? Most of us are just starting out with board games and I think it'll be easier to persuade everyone to play if they can connect with the theme, just as they did wit BSG.

I keep hearing about Arkham Horror but it just sounds too complicated. I'm not sure it sound "fun". I should try it I guess.
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2010 13:59:54 9,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    I've heard Shadows over Camelot is a lot like BSG. This is going to sound like a silly question but, has it good a good theme? Most of us are just starting out with board games and I think it'll be easier to persuade everyone to play if they can connect with the theme, just as they did wit BSG.

I keep hearing about Arkham Horror but it just sounds too complicated. I'm not sure it sound "fun". I should try it I guess.

Don't start with Arkham. It is a game that assumes you know the basic rules and strategies of boardgames.

Shadows Over Camelot is basicall the knights of the round table doing quests. It is very atmospheric and fun.

For simpler stuff.... Give me a minute and I'll see what is good for six players.
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2010 14:02:29 9,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just Dominon that I can see.
  • robthehermit 18 Oct 2010 14:02:32 3,984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Three pages and nobody has mentioned Kings & Things. Shame on you all. Also for consideration should be The Awful Green Things From Outer Space, and for single player goodness you could even try and track down a copy of Chainsaw Warrior. I know there's at least one copy out there because I lost it in a move. If you like lots of little plastic ships, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century is also rather spiffing.

For card games, Bohnanza is highly recommended, as are Fluxx, Munchkin and Lunch Money.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 14:06:22 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Just Dominon that I can see.

I have played a couple of games of Dominion. I quite enjoyed it, although there was only two of us. I can see how it would be much more enjoyable with a few more. I might suggest it next time. Thanks.
  • itamae 18 Oct 2010 14:06:37 9,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arkham Horrors is a cracking game and no more complicated than BSG. It's just a co-operative rather than a competitive game, so the gameplay dynamics are considerably different.

For a somewhat "easier" (as in, slightly less geek compatible) competitive game you could try El Grande. You know you've got a great game when everyone is on their feet shouting at the other players for being traitors and cut-throats.
  • TenMinJoe 18 Oct 2010 14:12:10 74 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think AH is more complicated than BSG. Think of the pile of counters and cards you have in AH, versus the relatively straightforward hand of cards in BSG. Think of the dice-rolling, with various numbers of dice and various modifiers in AH, versus the single D20 in BSG.

Also, in BSG there's *usually* some kind of clear and present danger that needs immediate attention, whereas in AH, you find yourself asking "What exactly should I be doing at this point, anyway?"

I like them both, though, anyway.
  • Chopsen 18 Oct 2010 14:30:28 15,727 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arkham Horror drove me up the wall. There were just too many things to keep track of in every turn and rules are mental.

Rally good theme and setting, but really really complicated. Someone told me (on this thread I think) that once you get the hang of it it's straightforward and it's just the rulebook that's badly written, but I just think there are too many things you need to take account of in each turn.
  • RyanDS 18 Oct 2010 14:32:52 9,062 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Arkham Horror drove me up the wall. There were just too many things to keep track of in every turn and rules are mental.

Rally good theme and setting, but really really complicated. Someone told me (on this thread I think) that once you get the hang of it it's straightforward and it's just the rulebook that's badly written, but I just think there are too many things you need to take account of in each turn.

It actually is very easy.

It is just the rules are laid out unbelievably bad, with you needing to flip between pages on opposite ends of the book all the time.. It really needed a flow chart in the box.
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 14:34:44 5,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I can find AH cheap I might think about picking it up. It does sound like my cup of tea but I'm not sure my group wil have the patience for it.
  • Page

of 120 First / Last