Boardgames anyone? Page 67

• Page

of 119 First / Last

• tincanrocket 9 May 2013 07:36:23 2,897 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    He's only gone and got himself a copy of the 1979 Avalon Hill boardgame of Dune, hasn't he?

Cannot. Wait.
    A superb board game. I have a 1979 copy too, but am in the process of DIYing a copy of Ilya77's superb remake. My favourite board game when I was a teenager.

Just found out a Dune CCG was released in the late 90s, so have been picking up some old cards on eBay. Looks intriguing.
  • repairmanjack 9 May 2013 16:33:12 5,987 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Police Precinct has arrived!
  • Tomo 10 May 2013 14:47:51 13,878 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Nnrghhh.

I have resisted so far. I even walked into Leisure Games but fortunately it hadn't arrived.

Plus I just bought a copy of Blood Bowl on eBay to properly relive my youth. Gunna have to hide it at work for a few weeks though or my gf will kill me.
  • tincanrocket 10 May 2013 15:23:18 2,897 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    ...Gunna have to hide it at work for a few weeks though or my gf will kill me.
    Heh, someone else does this \o/
  • fillip 10 May 2013 15:38:43 890 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo Are you a north Londoner then?
  • repairmanjack 10 May 2013 17:28:33 5,987 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Nnrghhh.

I have resisted so far. I even walked into Leisure Games but fortunately it hadn't arrived.

Plus I just bought a copy of Blood Bowl on eBay to properly relive my youth. Gunna have to hide it at work for a few weeks though or my gf will kill me.
    You might want to resist a while longer. Board has a crease in it; the compass on the board is misprinted so that the west and east point are the wrong way around (how the fuck do you get that wrong?) and one of the cards has an east/west misprint which doesn't work in the orientation of the board.

Golf clap, basically.
  • McGeeza 10 May 2013 21:39:08 928 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ouch.

The card art is a bit 'My First Photoshop' too. I know it doesn't make a good game bad, but I am a bit of a GFX whore.
  • RyanDS 10 May 2013 23:50:33 9,050 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played Citadels tonight with a "Call of Duty mate." Suggested it while we cracked open the first beers, before we turned on the PS3 for a gaming night.

It went down really well, he enjoyed it and it's definitely a staple in my bag now.
  • Tomo 11 May 2013 13:02:25 13,878 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @repairmanjack

Phew. I actually feel relieved. Thanks for heads up.
  • Tomo 11 May 2013 13:03:41 13,878 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @fillip

Yeah sort of - Kentish Town. I cycled to Leisure Games... up fucking Highgate Hill for the first time. What a mistake that was.
  • ZuluHero 11 May 2013 13:27:12 4,012 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm up for some 7 wonders plus expansion and Lords of Waterdeep tonight! (my next fave game to Wiz War)

Can't wait \o/
  • fillip 11 May 2013 19:14:34 890 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo I'm Holloway Rd way. Give me a shout if you need a Blood Bowl opponent some time.I haven't played it since I was a kid either.
  • Rhaegyr 12 May 2013 15:25:14 1,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looking for a recommendation here.

Bought my first 'alternative' board game a few months ago - City of Horro after reading EG's review. Absolutely love it and so do most of my friends - they don't really play board games or even video games yet after they grasped the concepts of this game we've been having a riot and played countless times.

Consequently, one of these friends now wants to buy a different game for us to play. I have pretty much no idea of what to buy - I was hoping someone here has CoH and could recommend something similar? I think he'd like a comparable game (4-6 players, not overly complex and most importantly: competitive) though it doesn't have to be horror themed - as long as it provides a laugh, is well balanced and isn't too expensive (probably 50 max). Only no-no on his part his the writing down of stats/resources/moves etc. Pen and paper = bad (for now).

Any suggestions are welcome - thanks.
  • RyanDS 12 May 2013 15:27:29 9,050 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Citadels. Cheap, portable and fucking amazing.
  • speedofthepuma 13 May 2013 13:06:49 13,266 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unboxed and played Small World with Ben for the first time. I think it's going to be a winner. Wanted to go for a proper board game with pieces and bits after Dominian.

Need to play it a few more times to get a feel for it. No doubt now I've been bitten by the board game bug though.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Tomo 13 May 2013 13:31:25 13,878 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Citadels. Cheap, portable and fucking amazing.
    Hmm. I watched the SU&SD review of this and it did look great. Think I'll have to pick it up in the near future.

I REALLY want to try Resistance, but I don't have a large enough group yet :/
  • cubbymoore 13 May 2013 14:34:23 36,468 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunters and Gatherers has arrived! \o/

Looks really good, and says it's also good for 2 player as well, which is good as me and the missus sometimes would like to play a game but have to wait for friends to come over to play anything we've got at the moment, including normal Carcassonne.

Already just looking inside the box you can see that it has elements already in it that it took expansions for the original to address, so it feels like it should be a more complete game.
  • phAge 13 May 2013 21:51:02 24,336 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone here play(ed) Talisman? Never tried it, but after playing Prologue on my Galaxy S2 I can sort of see myself digging it.

Also sounds like it might have a chance with the missus. but I don't want to fork out the moolah if it really is as ridiculously up to chance as some reviews make it out to be.

EDIT: Just realised that I have four or five games in my collection that I've never played. Sad. OTOH I get loads of enjoyment just looking at the pretty cards and counters. Double-sad. :[

Edited by phAge at 21:52:46 13-05-2013
  • riz23 13 May 2013 22:13:33 1,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @phAge Don't get Talisman, it's a fantasy snakes and ladders and has been for 30 years. Think about something a bit meatier, like Descent, or Mice and Mystics. Flip it around and try Dungeon Lords maybe? If it has to be a fantasy adventurer check out the D&D boardgames like Castle Ravenloft or Wrath of Ashardalon.
    There are many better games than Talisman in my opinion.
  • phAge 14 May 2013 15:31:07 24,336 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @riz23

Yeah, well... Thing is I've already got Descent (with two expansions, one of them Road to Legend), but that stopped being fun because it was too complicated, with too many rules ambiguities which the... powergamers... in my group used to their advantage (i.e. bitch until they got their way).

Also, games took fucking ages due to concentration issues (as you may have noticed, my gaming group doesn't work briliantly with very advanced games...).

I'm looking for something easy to pick up, hard to break (mechanics-wise) that can be played while having a beer and a laugh. Does Talisman fit the bill?
  • LeoliansBro 14 May 2013 15:36:29 43,133 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    I have a 1979 copy too, but am in the process of DIYing a copy of Ilya77's superb remake. My favourite board game when I was a teenager.
    Hey if you ever find yourself getting the cards printed give me a shout as I'd love to get a set myself.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:48:35 14-05-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• AccidentProne 14 May 2013 15:55:22 1,152 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @phAge I think a lot of the problems you've listed have been fixed in the second edition of Descent. Only played the first myself, but I'm keen to try it.
  • riz23 14 May 2013 18:51:56 1,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @phAge You have Descent? Well then, you have jumped through the appropriate gaming hoops and have the badge of honour.
    I hereby fully endorse your desire to play Talisman. Drinking a few beers whilst doing so would be a good thing. Some might say a prerequisite but that would uncharitable of them. You don't need to think much when playing. Talisman has stood the test of time in this regard. Who am I to deny your pleasure? ;-)
  • Rhaegyr 15 May 2013 13:13:14 1,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does anyone here own Power Grid?

I know it's an old game but it's intrigued me and seems to get some amazing write-ups - does anyone here have first-hand experience of how it plays and how fun/competitive/vindictive it is?

NB: I looked at Citadels but it didn't really excite me - could someone explain why it's so great? The game seems to be 90% cards and a few counters and tokens, plus no physical board.

Thanks in advance!
  • LeoliansBro 15 May 2013 13:15:08 43,133 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Power grid is excellent, very maths heavy though. Plays like a greed-obsessed Catan but with more player blocking and a more dynamic ruleset which shifts through the game.

Catan crossed with Monopoly.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• tincanrocket 16 May 2013 16:25:18 2,897 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:
    I have a 1979 copy too, but am in the process of DIYing a copy of Ilya77's superb remake. My favourite board game when I was a teenager.
    Hey if you ever find yourself getting the cards printed give me a shout as I'd love to get a set myself.
    I've done them all myself for the moment - not quite as good as going via Artscow, but the printing costs from there were really high, particularly with postage from the US. I bought some 180gsm card and have printed all the cards on that - my plan is to cut everything down and then put them in some sleeves, so they should look okay.

I ordered 150 laser cut 15mm round mdf war-game bases to be the troop counters, and spent the evening painting them earlier in the week, so they are ready. I'm going to use the same guy to have some combat wheels made, I think, and then buy a bunch of acrylic beads to be the spice tokens.

Getting the map printed A0 size is going to cost about 30, but I think I'll have done the whole thing for around fifty quid by the time I am finished. Ordering it from Artscow was well over 100, but no doubt I will always wish I had gone for the 'proper' version - maybe one day ;)

Edit: am doing pretty well with sourcing cards for the out of print Dune Collectible Card Game - the rules look pretty complex, so I reckon I will struggle to get anyone to play with me, but the pictures are nice, at least!

Edited by tincanrocket at 16:26:44 16-05-2013
  • repairmanjack 16 May 2013 22:36:00 5,987 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After discovering over a hundred board games in the last nine months, I'd still rate Power Grid in my top three. It's honestly superb.

Despite a few issues with components, I'm happy to report that Police Precinct was a real success on our first outing. It plays well and scales beautifully - solo is just as viable as co-op. I can't see us using the traitor variant unless four or more are playing, but it's quite unusual to have one game successfully cover so many options.

If folks want an unusual but very deep card game I'd like to recommend Pax Porfiriana by Phil Eklund. Head over to BGG to find out why it's the new darling of the tableau builders.

And now a moan. Seven weeks ago I bought a new copy of Kingdom Builder. It's a modular board made up of four of a possible eight. One of my boards wasn't included in the game. Having been around on BGG, I see this is a regular occurrence with the publisher: Queen Games. I've emailed them three times and even directly contacted one of their employees via the Geek. Completely stonewalled at every step. No response from customer service at all. Tempted to contact the retailer and ask for an exchange or to see if they can get involved but after all this time of being patient I can't see them considering it their problem.

Hopefully QG sort their shit out but I know I'll never buy anything else they put out.

Not that I need to buy anything else for the next three years.

Except maybe Zpocalypse.
  • jaxon58 16 May 2013 23:25:35 2,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @phAge

Grab yourself the Reaper expansion for Talisman too. It adds a grim reaper character to the board who is controlled by all of the players and he moves around chasing everyone.

Talisman is still a great game, and I'm glad you liked Prologue (I made it \o/)
  • repairmanjack 16 May 2013 23:32:21 5,987 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You made Prologue? It's excellent, mate, nice work! Looking forward to seeing it developed through the year.
  • jaxon58 17 May 2013 00:04:21 2,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thank you! As a long time Talisman fan, it was a dream come true to get to work on the game. Multiplayer is coming next and already shaping up to be pretty special.
  • Page

of 119 First / Last