Boardgames anyone? Page 52

• Page

of 137 First / Last

• MightyMetalMonkey 7 Jan 2013 15:00:20 600 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got a Rio Grande Game - Ming Dynasty for 3 over xmas - anyone played it ?
  • phAge 7 Jan 2013 17:55:05 24,440 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MightyMetalMonkey
    'Fraid that particular bit of zoophilia doesn't quite work in Danish! :)

@repairmanjack
    To be fair the language barrier (such as it is) might be working in my favour: seems that with English games people rarely know the true value of what they're selling - and the previous owners are usually geeks who take great care of their games.

Really considering finding a gaming group in town that plays TI now - reckon it'll be easier teaching my mates if I've played with people who know the game first. All those cards and counters and stuff - mmmm...

Edited by phAge at 17:57:33 07-01-2013
  • McGeeza 7 Jan 2013 21:52:39 984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heads up for Dreadball offer - 16 with promo code and delivery.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10968842#10968842

Not used buy4less before but taken a gamble.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Jan 2013 23:03:05 26,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck knows who Buy4Less are, but I've taken a dodgy punt on that. Seems like quite a nifty looking Blood Bowl alternative. Definitely not bad for 15 quid.

Will let you know if my bank account is suddenly cleared out!
  • McGeeza 7 Jan 2013 23:44:51 984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah me too. It's a new game and 50 rrp so clearly a mistake but you never know your luck.
  • Dr.Haggard 8 Jan 2013 00:38:57 4,253 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes I wouldn't worry they're well established, but whether they'll honour it or not is anyone's guess. I doubt it, but I've ordered one too so fingers crossed.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jan 2013 00:58:01 26,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers Doc, sets my mind at ease a touch :)

Won't get my hopes up for an actual delivery though.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jan 2013 10:41:49 26,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaaaaand the completely expected has happened. Order cancelled due to mistaken pricing.

Booooooooo :)
  • brokenkey 8 Jan 2013 11:19:05 7,154 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    price corrected to 41, rather than 14.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• elephantjuice 8 Jan 2013 12:05:26 791 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can anyone recommend something that my old man might be interested in? I'd like to get him a board game for his birthday (it's not for a while yet but I like to do my homework and be prepared).

In terms of what sort of thing he's into, he particularly enjoys Buccaneer and he'll switch off if it's anything too fantasy-heavy. That's it really.

I've had my eye on the Ticket to Ride games, how are they generally regarded? Are there any other similar 'must haves' or recommendations?
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 12:08:35 44,939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CATAN!

(the answer is always catan)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• elephantjuice 8 Jan 2013 12:20:57 791 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It looks good. Is it a resource management type of thing? How easy is it to get the hang of?
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 12:28:20 44,939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's golden. Full disclosure: I love it. But crucially it's a game that everyone I've introduced it to has loved as well, and I'm talking muscleheads to disco biscuits and people who'd normally sniff at an overflavoured board game as being too geeky.

You'll get it on the first playthrough. I've played it for years and am still seeing new tactics (never seen someone totally screwed from initial placement until last weekend).

But if you have a 360 download the single player demo and give it a whirl by yourself first.

• elephantjuice 8 Jan 2013 12:29:48 791 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for the recommendation, sounds perfect! I do have a 360 so I will indeed take a look.
  • tincanrocket 8 Jan 2013 12:32:00 3,030 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought the Spartacus boardgame through Buy4Less, no problems with them at all.

Alas, having no r/l gamer friends, I have yet to actually play the game I bought. Whenever I suggest taking it with us to the pub my drinking chums all glaze over and change the subject - philistines!
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 12:42:10 44,939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just take it anyway.

Not seen Spartacus, what's it like?

• andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 12:56:07 8,350 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I second Catan, but it can only be played 3 or 4 player. Ticket to ride is very easy to pick up (10 mins maximum) and can be played 2-5 player. I'd recommend the Europe version if you do get it. If you can regularly get the numbers then I'd recommend you go for Catan.

Carcassonne is also a good game (and cheap), and there are a lot of expansions if you get bored of the main game.

All three games have a demo on xbla so give them a go.

Edited by andytheadequate at 12:57:14 08-01-2013
  • elephantjuice 8 Jan 2013 13:18:55 791 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They all sound like good options, I reckon he'd enjoy any of them but I hadn't considered the number of players needed, so maybe Catan isn't the way to go as it will most likely end up being me and him playing.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 13:20:03 44,939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, if there are only two of you then Catan isn't the out of the box solution I may have suggested.

Check it out though.

• andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 13:36:06 8,350 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ticket to ride is fun two player but probably works best with more players, as do most games. Carcassonne is good two player. If he likes history then I'd also recommend Axis and Allies Europe, but it takes a long time to play.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 13:36:51 44,939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Twilight Struggle is supposed to be the premier two-player game, but it takes a while.

• Alastair 8 Jan 2013 14:18:05 16,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TTR Europe is definitely good.
    Another option is Dominion. Again, almost all of these are better with at least 3 players.

Maybe take a look at boardgamegeek.com and filter based on preferred number of players...
  • marilena 8 Jan 2013 14:18:21 8,203 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    We played Civ after. No one knew the rules and it dragged a bit. A clear winner from the start. A little dull. Might play it again. Probably won't.
    Got wiped out by flooding. Felt pretty deflated.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "got wiped out by flooding". I've played the game quite a bit, but this phrase means nothing to me... Was it with the expansion?

Anyway, Civ does have a bit of a learning curve, but it's not that big - I think you'd play much better the second time and be much more engaged.

I also had some matches when we felt that one player had already won from early on - I'd say about 10%. Those matches suck and I tend to just concede to end them sooner. I imagine that in a few cases I was wrong to concede, because a lot of stuff can happen over the course of a game, but if you lose hope, you're not having fun, so there's no point...

In the rest of the matches it was usually an amazingly tight race and the winner just barely went ahead in the last turn.

It is definitely long - I've only played with 2 players and we still take close to 6 hours to finish a game (it's possible we're kind of slow, though). It's my favorite boardgame by far, though, so I play as often as I can :).
  • spamdangled 8 Jan 2013 14:23:35 27,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I second Catan, but it can only be played 3 or 4 player. Ticket to ride is very easy to pick up (10 mins maximum) and can be played 2-5 player. I'd recommend the Europe version if you do get it. If you can regularly get the numbers then I'd recommend you go for Catan.

Carcassonne is also a good game (and cheap), and there are a lot of expansions if you get bored of the main game.

All three games have a demo on xbla so give them a go.
    TTR is on XBLA? Since when?

I know it's on Steam and iOS.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• marilena 8 Jan 2013 14:26:37 8,203 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elephantjuice wrote:
    They all sound like good options, I reckon he'd enjoy any of them but I hadn't considered the number of players needed, so maybe Catan isn't the way to go as it will most likely end up being me and him playing.
    Catan is out, then, and, honestly, so is TTR. Way too boring with 2.

If you want something that's easy to learn and works well with 2 I don't think there's a better option than Dominion. The number of players doesn't change the game much. It has very simple rules, but a surprising amount if depth, and it has been successful with all people I tried it on (varying from super-casuals to serious gamers).
  • agparrot 8 Jan 2013 14:27:58 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @darkmorgado Oddly enough I was looking at TTR on XBLA last night, so I know that it is here
  • Alastair 8 Jan 2013 14:29:43 16,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have TTR on XBLA - it's the original version not the Europe one.
  • Alastair 8 Jan 2013 14:30:17 16,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    If you want something that's easy to learn and works well with 2 I don't think there's a better option than Dominion. The number of players doesn't change the game much. It has very simple rules, but a surprising amount if depth, and it has been successful with all people I tried it on (varying from super-casuals to serious gamers).
    This - Dominion is awesome. 2-4 players.
  • spamdangled 8 Jan 2013 14:30:46 27,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So it is! Released years ago, too.

I don't agree it's too boring with only 2 players, I'd say it's fine for someone with little experience. I also wouldn't start with the Europe map either, as the bridges, tunnels and stations can be a bit of pain in the ass to get your head around right from the start.

Good thing about the board game version too is that there are shitloads of custom maps online for it too. There's some good UK maps.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Alastair 8 Jan 2013 14:37:21 16,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I also wouldn't start with the Europe map either, as the bridges, tunnels and stations can be a bit of pain in the ass to get your head around right from the start.
    My mother managed to cope with the bridges, tunnels and stations concept as a new player...
  • Page

of 137 First / Last