Boardgames anyone? Page 47

• Page

of 131 First / Last

• sanctusmortis 9 Nov 2012 19:18:36 9,631 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gloom you can just watch the Tabletop of. Looks great.

Got Fluxx, Family Fluxx and Last Night on Earth recently. Love them all. Want City of the Dead, Gloom and Munchkin next.
  • RichieTenenbaum 9 Nov 2012 19:24:45 2,211 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Eclipse is now dangerously close to going on "the list".
    Played a 5 hour 6 person verson of this t'other day

It was SUBLIME. and surprisingly simple. Really want to play again
  • repairmanjack 9 Nov 2012 22:09:20 6,049 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Eclipse is now dangerously close to going on "the list".
    Played a 5 hour 6 person verson of this t'other day

It was SUBLIME. and surprisingly simple. Really want to play again
    I've ordered it... Christmas present to myself.
  • Nemesis 11 Nov 2012 16:24:43 18,655 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    My boy came home from his grans today, after she's been clearing out her loft, with this. Mint condition and still as awesome as I remember. Weekend sorted.
    Good times ahead !
  • Deleted user 24 November 2012 19:40:26
    are the king of tokyo and blood bowl expansions out yet? available anywhere?
  • Dr.Haggard 29 Nov 2012 10:57:37 4,209 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I've had a bit of a dungeon crawl board game itch for a while now and I think christmas would be a good time to take the plunge. I happen to have about 50 worth of Amazon gift vouchers that I'm more than happy to gamble, but what should I get? I wonder if any of you guys would indulge me and maybe offer some advice.

I always read Rab Florence's column on RPS and I've been doing some slightly more concerted research lately as well, and I've come to the conclusion that I really want Descent 2nd edition, but there are a couple of reasons why I've hesitated. I may just take a chance on it anyway because in most respects it looks like exactly what I want, but I thought I might pick the brains of this thread first.

Firstly it's not playable co-operatively for two players. That's not a huge issue but I'd prefer something co-operative. We'll probably have 3 players occasionally, but I'd like something that works well solo and with 2 players. Also is it hard work for two? I gather the hero player would have to control at least two characters. This may be an issue initially for convincing my slightly less committed other half!

I've been looking at Arkham Horror, Claustrophobia and Legend of Drizzt, but as much as I'd like to pick them all up eventually they don't quite grab me as much as Descent (Claustrophobia in particular, as gorgeous as it looks, seems to be more of a strategy game than a dungeon crawl).

I'm also really intrigued by Escape: The Curse Of The Temple. Not the same sort of thing at all obviously, but it does sound brilliant and I've been hovering over the order button for that regardless. Has anyone here played it yet?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Edit: Oh and Mansions of Madness and Mage Knight both look awesome too. Any good for one/two players?

Edited by Dr.Haggard at 11:11:56 29-11-2012
  • repairmanjack 29 Nov 2012 11:26:46 6,049 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just from what I've played, and you've mentioned, I love Arkham Horror and I'm hinting at some expansions for Christmas presents. I've only played it with either one other or solo with me running several characters, and I've loved it every time.

Mage Knight is superb as a solo game (and for two, although I probably wouldn't want to play it with more than that).

Be warned, the rules are pretty convoluted for each (MK more so) until you get used to it. Head over to www.boardgamegeek.com for more tips on anything else. A lot of them also rate Escape, but I haven't played it.
  • Dr_Mech 29 Nov 2012 13:17:40 1,027 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Feck me...you know how expensive it is to buy a 'decent' condition Heroquest box?

Checking prices online and they go for about 80 upwards. I need replacement pieces due to our copy missing a large chunk of figures (including the Gargoyle) and some cards.

What annoys me more is back about 7 or 8 years ago me and a mate were in a charity shop, he beckons me over all excited and shows a near mint condition Advanced Heroquest box, all the pieces intact, all the cards there (we checked it over when he got it home), basically everything was there just not on sprues or wrapped in cellophane.

You know how much a box in that condition goes for? Around 200...

Bastard...
  • Dr.Haggard 29 Nov 2012 15:06:26 4,209 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @repairmanjack Cheers. I'm still undecided about where to start. At the moment I think it's either Arkham or Descent 2nd Ed, and I might just have to grab Curse of the Temple as well having watched a video review of that now.
  • TheRealBadabing 16 Dec 2012 00:13:22 1,314 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We played Dungeon! for the first time with my 6 year old this evening. She really enjoyed it and so did the missus. Might have helped that we had just seen The Hobbit but it's a great little game for kids.
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Dec 2012 04:08:08 13,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just bought in a load of games: Small World; Ticket to Ride + Various Expansion; Power Grid + Various Expansions; Catan Expansions; Carcassone Expansions and some other miscellany like Bohnanza, Citadels and Guillotine.

LET THE GAMING COMMENCE! AGAIN! :)
  • repairmanjack 16 Dec 2012 11:21:21 6,049 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Picked up Innovation to carry abroad with me for the Christmas break. Also waiting on Twilight Struggle to be delivered when I get back. Pal wants to come around and play a learning game of Arkham Horror on tuesday. May not be the best investment for a week night...

Puerto Rico is currently 22 on amazon. Never heard a bad word about it. Anyone here played it?

Oh, finally changed my tune on Ticket to Ride... other than K2 it's my daughter's favourite game. I finally get it, I think.
  • ZX_Spectre 16 Dec 2012 19:00:18 20 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sorry for interrupting the boardgame discussion, but I've just linked to this particular thread from my Older Gamers' blog - it being where I have got most of my purchasing ideas!

Professional, Gamer.

Professional, Gamer.
    The blog of an ageing gamer

• riz23 16 Dec 2012 19:16:09 1,295 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Picked up Innovation to carry abroad with me for the Christmas break. Also waiting on Twilight Struggle to be delivered when I get back. Pal wants to come around and play a learning game of Arkham Horror on tuesday. May not be the best investment for a week night...

Puerto Rico is currently 22 on amazon. Never heard a bad word about it. Anyone here played it?

Oh, finally changed my tune on Ticket to Ride... other than K2 it's my daughter's favourite game. I finally get it, I think.
    Puerto Rico is a top game. Up there with the best 'worker placement' games. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's a must play to be honest.
  • spamdangled 16 Dec 2012 19:25:51 27,355 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is arkham horror actually fun in single player?

Obviously it will be better with a group, but is it still enjoyable for those times where I can't get enough?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• StarchildHypocrethes 16 Dec 2012 19:27:41 25,916 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have Star Trek Fleet Captains at the top of my Xmas list. If I don't get it there will be one massive nerdy temper tantrum.
  • repairmanjack 16 Dec 2012 19:49:55 6,049 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Obviously it will be better with a group, but is it still enjoyable for those times where I can't get enough?
    I'm starting to prefer it single player. It's a fantastic game.
  • RichieTenenbaum 16 Dec 2012 19:52:48 2,211 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really want 1960, still. STILL out of stock.
  • spamdangled 16 Dec 2012 20:14:58 27,355 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

I'm starting to prefer it single player. It's a fantastic game.
    Good to know!

One more question, are the expansions used separately from each other, or is it possible to potentially have them all in play at once for a mega-game?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• repairmanjack 16 Dec 2012 23:06:24 6,049 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I believe they can all be played at the same time, but it may dilute things too much (there are people far better able to answer that question than myself - hopefully they'll pop by the thread).

I'm just waiting on the Dunwich Horror expansion to come down in price a bit; I understand that's the best one to start with.
  • McGeeza 16 Dec 2012 23:40:03 935 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Really want 1960, still. STILL out of stock.
    May be worth emailing zman to see if they have a reprint coming.
  • Bremenacht 16 Dec 2012 23:41:30 18,335 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Just bought in a load of games: Small World; Ticket to Ride + Various Expansion; Power Grid + Various Expansions; Catan Expansions; Carcassone Expansions and some other miscellany like Bohnanza, Citadels and Guillotine.

LET THE GAMING COMMENCE! AGAIN! :)
    Ha! I recently got Ticket to Ride (Europe) and Settlers+River myself. We've played a couple of games of TtR so far and it's good. Looking forward to leaving xbox etc off for long periods over Christmas and enjoying boardgames instead.

Except for xcom, of course.
  • repairmanjack 18 Dec 2012 11:47:48 6,049 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is probably old news to most people but... Lords of Waterdeep is an absolute gem of a game! Picked up a dirt cheap copy from Spain's amazon site.
  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 12:29:37
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    I'm also really intrigued by Escape: The Curse Of The Temple. Not the same sort of thing at all obviously, but it does sound brilliant and I've been hovering over the order button for that regardless. Has anyone here played it yet?
    It's just disappeared from my Amazon wishlist so I get the feeling I should be able to post opinions on this in about a week :-)
  • jaxon58 18 Dec 2012 13:06:28 2,422 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    It's just disappeared from my Amazon wishlist so I get the feeling I should be able to post opinions on this in about a week :-)
    My opinion on Escape, from the previous page, is that it's a pretty good game. Very tense/stressful but not in a bad way. Easy to understand for all ages and a pretty good laugh. I've played it in a group of four several times and we all enjoyed it every time. I reckon it's well worth a purchase.
  • Dr.Haggard 18 Dec 2012 14:48:58 4,209 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I ordered it in the end. Had to wait for a set of dice to come from the states as there were none in the box /o\

Anyway, we played a few games the other night and loved it. I'm going to have to adjust some of the rules a bit next time though, as with 3 players it's ridiculously hard if you all go your own way, and ridiculously easy if you stick together. A couple of minor adjustments should fix it (ie just increase the number of gems to clear), but it was still great fun.
  • spamdangled 26 Dec 2012 01:45:23 27,355 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THIS looks cool:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster?ref=category

Expensive, but very cool.

Got a bit of money for crimbo. Thursday morning I am going to my local hobby store and getting Arkham Horror and at least 2 expansions. Can't wait! There's something about the first time you lay eyes upon a board and eagerly sift through the card decks.

And 1 player friendly = win for this philistine county.

• Deleted user 26 December 2012 01:57:24
    Finally managed to get my hands on a copy of the X-Wing Miniatures game today so huzzah!

Sadly, I now blame the above posts for making me think about a trip in to Manchester to pick up Arkham Horror on Thurs.
  • spamdangled 26 Dec 2012 02:09:15 27,355 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine? Sorry!

If it's possible, I'm up for long distance games via email or summat.

Chaosium really need to digitise more of their stuff. I understand why they don't, but... Fuck, it's frustrating.

• spamdangled 26 Dec 2012 03:38:08 27,355 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If I get Arkham Horror and 2 expanaions, what expansions should Get first? Heard good stuff about dunwich.

Also: what other 1p friendly boardngames are there?

• Page

of 131 First / Last