• Page

of 130 First / Last

• faux_carnation 7 Sep 2012 08:24:47 9,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Big_G wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Big_G wrote:
    www.foyles.co.uk have some FFG products for seriously cheap. No delivery charge either. Just snagged the LotR LCG Hobbit saga expansion for 15 which is an insane price seeing as the cheapest online retailers haven't gone below 21/22.

Link shamelessly stolen from the BGG forums.
    Christ, that's where I work. I should probably tell someone about this :lol::lol:
    Can you process my order before telling your bosses, please? :D

Seriously I ordered it on Monday and it's still "processing".
    Heh, don't worry. I won't be telling anyone as it really doesn't matter. We don't stock boardgames, they're listed because they're in the inventory of a US wholesaler we use, and their stock list appears automatically on our website. All the prices and stuff are auto generated to create a certain %age profit.

Also, your order is probably still processing as the game is being shipped from the US.
  • RichieTenenbaum 8 Sep 2012 14:37:29 2,209 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got round to playing Dixit, was really well received. Loved it, but I don't know how another game will go now we've seen all the cards. Fancy Odyssey.

Quite fancy Apples to Apples but it's expensive everywhere for what it is.

Played Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring last night, and I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe it was because it was a first game, and we forgot about the 3 extra shadow character cards, but it just seemed a bit...meh.

I lost (as the shadow player) when I accidentally left a stronghold thingy unguarded and the free peoples player walked in for a military victory (After taking another stronghold at the top of the board). It was a massive anti climax. We had been playing for a while, and the Free People's player only bothered moving the fellowship 3 places. He just had galdalf etc walking the rest of the board. I found it a little dull. There's no real reason to move the fellowship. Getting 4 points is easier and you don't risk being uncovered. Surely destroying the ring should be the point!

I really wanna play 1960: TMOTP but I can't find it for sale ANYWHERE.

Ordered Smash Up for when that's released. Quite fancy get bit, too but that's not in stock anywhere.
  • fillip 8 Sep 2012 20:16:14 890 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1960: TMOTP Shire Games have it in stock (I was looking for a copy myself), but it's at RRP. Depends how badly you want it.

http://www.shiregames.com/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0

Edited by fillip at 20:19:25 08-09-2012
  • repairmanjack 9 Sep 2012 11:15:17 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    1960 is fantastic - people say it's a lighter Twilight Struggle (in mechanics, not theme), but I haven't picked that up yet so can't comment.

It's one of the games my girlfriend really loves, which is great, and it seems to have roused my dad's interest.

Anyone picked up Netrunner? Seems to have quite the buzz around it.
  • repairmanjack 17 Sep 2012 16:48:59 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flash Point Fire Rescue and Mage Knight (3rd print) have arrived. Looks like I'm picking the wrong week to go back to work.

Mage Knight is beautiful!
  • jaxon58 18 Sep 2012 20:26:50 2,422 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Talisman goes digital!

Sorry for the small plug, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I work for a small indie games company in the UK and today we've announced obtaining the rights to develop games based on the Talisman board game.

The first game is called Talisman Prologue and will be released this Winter on PC initially, then mobile devices later.

If you are a Talisman fan, please check out the official website. Your support and interest are much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by jaxon58 at 20:27:29 18-09-2012
  • McGeeza 19 Sep 2012 11:13:22 935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent. Good luck.

Is this all new code or a continuation of the aborted version from a couple of years ago?
  • jaxon58 19 Sep 2012 20:41:33 2,422 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks!
    It's brand new stuff, nothing to do with the Capcom version from 2007.

We're currently in the Steam Greenlight process. We'd love your support, so please vote for Talisman here...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=97489182

Many thanks.
  • Alastair 12 Oct 2012 08:58:46 15,720 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I downloaded a Dominion-a-like onto my Android tablet last night - Androminium.
    It contains the original game, plus many of the add-ons.
    Had a go last night. The interface is dull, but functional. No idea on the quality of AI yet as I was actually playing solo! (Seems you actually have to pick a second player - it was late so I didn't start a second game).
    Overall, it was pretty good, and even better, there's a note saying that Rio Grande games have asked them to stop developing/promoting the game as they are due to release an Official Dominion game shortly.

Edited by Alastair at 09:02:37 12-10-2012

Not as nice as I used to be

• repairmanjack 13 Oct 2012 17:27:37 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm having a group of pals over tonight for a few games of... something. Think we'll open with Dominion. Quite tempted to go with Infiltration after (got mixed reviews but I love it). And then... not sure. Got Fury of Dracula and A Touch of Evil, but I don't think it's the right crowd for either.

Tempted to give Ticket to Ride a shot, but it just seems so vanilla to me.

May go big with Power Grid. Be nice to play it with a full size group. My pal won't enjoy anything co-operative. He likes to know a marriage hangs in the balance by the end of the night.

Actually quite tempted to hit them with K2. Really enjoyed our first two test plays of it.

Edited by repairmanjack at 17:28:53 13-10-2012
  • Alastair 15 Oct 2012 09:14:17 15,720 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Tempted to give Ticket to Ride a shot, but it just seems so vanilla to me.
    There are several variations of TTR, as I'm sure you are aware.
    We played the India version recently. It's cramped in some respects, with many short routes between cities. Also has a good rule about joining cities by more that one route for bonus points.

• jaxon58 18 Oct 2012 23:30:42 2,422 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Received Escape: Curse of the Temple recently after backing it on Kickstarter. Really good game and highly recommended.

Basically, it's a real-time dice rolling game where all players must escape from a collapsing temple in ten minutes. There's lots of shouting, panicking and stress but its great fun.
  • repairmanjack 21 Oct 2012 22:09:49 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played my first game of Arkham Horror today. Rules weren't quite as obnoxious as I feared, but it almost feels wrong to love something that hates the player this much. It's brutal!

My fiancee, who is becoming more interested in exploring board games, walked in, took one look at the board, uttered "Oh my God", and walked out again.

Fair assessment, I think.

Currently jonesing for Merchants & Mauraders, Thunderstone Advance and Twilight Imperium (not that anyone I know would ever sit down to play it).
  • fillip 22 Oct 2012 07:00:39 890 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is the coveting of TI inspired by the Shut Up & Sit down play through video? It had a similar affect on me but I will never have that many hours to play it. I've been looking for a similar game with a reduced play time. Any recommendations? Eclipse seems to fit the bill; anyone played a bit of that?

Edited by fillip at 07:26:55 22-10-2012
  • AccidentProne 22 Oct 2012 07:53:29 1,163 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eclipse is a great game. Only managed a couple of games of it myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. My regular gaming group play it loads though, definitely a favourite at the moment.

No idea how it compares to TI though, as I've never played that, but can definitely recommend Eclipse in it's own right.
  • repairmanjack 22 Oct 2012 09:50:49 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, blame the Shut Up show for that one, fillip. :)

Finally got the shrink-wrap off the Lord of the Ring LCG (had both it and Arkham since my birthday in June).

Would also like to reccomend K2, the mountaineering game, whilst I'm here. Surprised just how popular this one is proving with people; mechanics are sound and it gets very heated as people start freezing to death (you know what I mean).
  • Nemesis 22 Oct 2012 11:02:46 18,647 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished a couple of games of Last Night On Earth...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Night-Earth-Board-Game/dp/0979658500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350899878&sr=8-1

...and it was great fun; you pick the L-shaped corners at random, which contain the various hide-outs. Gear is random via a card stack, characters have different attributes and the zombies are relentless. Our mission was to kill 15 zombies, but not lose 2 characters over 15 rounds. Let me tell you, we were surrounded quite a few times and managed to slip free.

Made a nice change from Game of Thrones and HeroQuest, it's one now on the list of games we'll play on a regular basis.
  • senso-ji 22 Oct 2012 11:33:41 5,907 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I recently played Runebound, a story driven RPG:

Amazon Link

It was good fun. Unlike modern games of it's kind, it doesn't have hundreds of counters to setup, the board is simple to navigate and the combat difficulty is dictated by the player, not the random drawing of cards.

It also doesn't have any PvP or coop, so technically it can be played single player.
  • repairmanjack 22 Oct 2012 12:19:09 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the latest edition of Tabletop killed my interest in Last Night on Earth. It was a train-wreck.

A Touch of Evil, by the same company, remains one of my favourites though.
  • repairmanjack 22 Oct 2012 12:20:49 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eclipse is now dangerously close to going on "the list".
  • fillip 23 Oct 2012 15:41:02 890 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anyone help me decide between Pandemic and Flash Point?
  • Alastair 23 Oct 2012 16:10:44 15,720 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    Received Escape: Curse of the Temple recently after backing it on Kickstarter. Really good game and highly recommended.

Basically, it's a real-time dice rolling game where all players must escape from a collapsing temple in ten minutes. There's lots of shouting, panicking and stress but its great fun.
    We played it at lunchtime - good fun. Frustrating at times - partly due to dice dropping onto the floor several times and partly due to not rolling the right combo when time was running out.
    I'd deffo play it again though. There were four of us and we got on better by playing as two pairs rather than individually.

• repairmanjack 23 Oct 2012 17:44:37 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    Can anyone help me decide between Pandemic and Flash Point?
    Oooh...nope Got both, love both. :)

Flash Point is a little easier, I think (certainly with the famly/beginner variant whereby you only use some of the rules). I think you have to try them both and see which grips you, sorry.

I mean, you have to buy both, obviously...
  • repairmanjack 23 Oct 2012 17:46:02 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone played much of Netrunner? Hardest part of the game, so far, has been convincing my partner she needs to learn it, too.
  • vyseofhr 5 Nov 2012 08:41:19 846 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just received 1960 for my birthday from the girlfriend this morning after banging on about wanting it a couple of months ago. First playthrough will be tonight, is it good?

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• repairmanjack 5 Nov 2012 10:21:28 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's excellent. Make sure your read up on the rules before you set it up... or you might be there all night.
  • fillip 5 Nov 2012 10:30:38 890 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm very jealous. By the time I found out that I wanted 1960 it was out of stock everywhere. All of this recent US Election coverage is just adding salt to the wound.
  • Nasty 8 Nov 2012 23:31:53 4,742 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My boy came home from his grans today, after she's been clearing out her loft, with this. Mint condition and still as awesome as I remember. Weekend sorted.
  • repairmanjack 9 Nov 2012 00:22:06 6,042 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couple of Essen releases arrived this week: Robinson Crusoe and The Cave. Both gorgeous and just played a nail-biting first game of the latter. It's by the designer of K2 - which we really enjoy - but I think this is going to surpass it in the long run. Far more fiddly with set up though.

Also really enjoying Level 7 (Escape) which is basically an X Files dungeon crawl. Although I found Arkham Horror easier to get to grips with...
  • tincanrocket 9 Nov 2012 15:28:30 2,987 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ordered a copy of the Spartacus board game, having read Rab's glowing review on RPS - arriving Monday, so time to find some real life friends to drag down to the pub for a game.

Anyone played Gloom or the Cthulhu variant? Wondered if either were worth picking up as an extra game if I get more than 4 people turning up next week.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last