Atonement

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Bru-Man 2 Oct 2007 12:57:45 200 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not the type of film I'd usually run to see (nor most people here judging by the genres reviewed). In fact the last film of type "drama" I saw at the cinema was "The Last King of Scotland" (also starring James McAvoy) and before that "Billy Elliot".

Anyhow, this film is brilliant! Not read the Ian McEwan book it's adapted from, but it is amazingly evocative of the time period. So atmospheric - the first half, set in the stifling elegance of an English manor house is erotically claustrophobic. Then when everything goes badly wrong, and the setting moves to WWII London+France it goes all bleak and grey. I wouldn't be surprised if this wins cinematography awards.
    The acting from the whole cast is superb, even Keira who I generally don't like. But the child actors definitely top the adults - particularly Saoirse Ronan as the younger Briony.

Oh, and you get to see Miss Knightley in a satin undergarment, drenched, clinging tightly to her skin. Twice.
    Which is nice. But she still looks like a harpy when she smiles...

Anyhow, your GFs/wives will love this one, and you may just get wrapped up in it yourself too.
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Oct 2007 13:19:05 16,143 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to review this film before the 15th, and I've put off watching it for weeks due to my utter disregard for Shitely.

I wonder if I can get away without watching it and just submit your 'review'.
  • beachedvinyl 2 Oct 2007 13:21:15 303 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    it really is very good and also contains an awesome 6 min steadycam shot on the beach at dunkirk. worth watching for that alone when you know its coming.
  • Dougs 2 Oct 2007 13:23:03 67,825 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I have to review this film before the 15th, and I've put off watching it for weeks due to my utter disregard for Shitely.

I wonder if I can get away without watching it and just submit your 'review'.

The missus raved about this (I was at football, naturally), said it was one of the best things she'd seen in ages. Andf one of the main reasons is because Knightly is barely in it apparently. Certainly not a main character, so you should be able to get past your disdain...!
  • PES_Fanboy 2 Oct 2007 13:24:43 16,143 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If only they condensed her involvement to five minutes where she stood lantern faced and plumly delivered her lines like the block of wood she is.

Perfect piss break.
  • Dougs 2 Oct 2007 13:30:33 67,825 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, wooden as the day is long (as is the young un from Potter). Can't stand her jaw-jutting pout either. In. Every. Scene.
  • Benno 23 May 2008 20:55:30 9,910 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This was filmed at the beach outside my house, they had the set there for a few weeks/months and you could walk past it all and have a ganda. Some of my mates are actually in the film as extras.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next