Halo 4 Page 155

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• afghan_jones 21 Jan 2013 13:22:38 3,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem with the DMR is less about the gun itself and its balance or lack of, its about how a hitscan starting weapon affects map building.

In H3 you could have big open maps like Standoff where the best you could hope from the BR at long range would be to take a potshot that makes soemoen duck into cover but that was about it. In H4, the long range game is dominated by the DMR's high accuracy & hitscan. So maps with open spaces are a no no. Even a small map like the Pit wouldnt work in H4 as the sniper towers would be instant death from DMR fire.

So the consequence of the DMR is that most of the maps have a load of clutter in the middle of the map to cut down on cross map DMR kills. Which means everyone has limited eyelines and its hard to get around. Which means it is hard to call out enemies as you can't see across the map, and hard to support team mates as you have to negotiate whatever the big thing in the middle of the map happens to be.

I love using the DMR but to be honest, it is a contributing factor in the shitty map layout in H4.
  • RedSparrows 21 Jan 2013 13:40:18 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with you on clutter - albeit not sight-line clutter. More feet area clutter. Solace is especially bad for it.
  • Nades 21 Jan 2013 14:15:07 1,373 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, I agree on that, but that's another reason why the DMR is bad. If it wasn't so easy to kill people with then, they'd be able to have better less campy maps. Also not getting hit out of scope when shot is one of the worse changes, they've made to Halo 4 if not the worst! If you still got hit out of scope, I don't think the DMR would be as bad.

Liverpool FC
    _______

XbL: Nades x
    PSN: iNaades

• PazJohnMitch 21 Jan 2013 22:26:29 8,306 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just had a game where I got 2 kills and 16 assists. My finishing is worse than Torres!
  • muttler 22 Jan 2013 12:43:27 4,130 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The DMR isnt that good close range, someone running in close quarters with the Assault Rifle will usually win (I find). It's balanced, the DMR is just best at medium to long range, or if you've got the skillz the Light Rifle is even better at range. I find the Battle Rifle better for nearly all SWAT games, with the exception of maps with long fields of fire (Complex) for which the DMR is better. In almost every game I've played I find lots of people using either the BR, AR and DMR.
  • RedSparrows 22 Jan 2013 12:43:53 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New SpOps chapter is much more fun than the others, for some reason: new, nice big, interesting maps. Well, shame some assets are still being reused, but at least they look a bit different.

Except Vortex.

But 1 and 3 are good.
  • MatMan562 22 Jan 2013 13:16:10 2,509 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I agree about Spartan Ops, the latest is a lot better than all the others. I just wish they mixed things up a bit more frequently and gave you things to do other than pressing buttons.

Also glad to see Forge maps being introduced into multiplayer but the first 4 games I played on the playlist yesterday was all on the same map, Garrotte. I managed to play Scyth once but that was all. Both maps felt very hectic as well which I don't like too much. Hopefully the others are a bit bigger.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• RedSparrows 22 Jan 2013 13:24:52 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    4 needs more hectic maps.
  • MatMan562 22 Jan 2013 13:32:57 2,509 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RedSparrows Well yeah, I guess there aren't any at the moment really but I don't like them so they should stay out!

Since Shipment on the original Modern Warfare, i've really hated small, clusterfuck maps especially when they get constantly picked by everyone so from a purely selfish point of view they shouldn't be in there.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Pumpatron 22 Jan 2013 13:57:54 376 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I liked the new spartan ops missions. The new environments defiantly help, the 3rd mission was probably my favourite.

I played solo on heroic and they seemed a bit easier. I think this may have been down to better pacing and encounters, plus the bigger levels give you more scope for retreating and flanking, and less getting butt fucked in a corner. Which is nice.

Did anyone else have random weapons and armour abilities in mission 1? (I was stuck with the fucking stupid shield thingy) I wan't able to choose my loadout and halfway though lost my armour abilitiy… not that I was using it much anyway.

There also seemed to be considerably less 'crimson' in these.
  • RedSparrows 22 Jan 2013 14:14:14 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And no eggheads! Except in the cutscene.

Mission 5 was absolutely nuts on 4 player. About 20 Knights, or something. Good fun.

Mission 3 was the best: the cave was a great environment.
  • thenastypasty 22 Jan 2013 17:00:47 5,185 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    4 needs more hectic maps.
    Agreed, but they also need to be of a higher quality than the forge variants being tested at the moment. In the 3 or 4 maps I've played on so far none have been much good IMO, no really flow to them and far to cluttered.
  • RelaxedMikki 22 Jan 2013 18:04:40 935 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tried a couple of split screen games on the Forge maps last night.

They ran really badly in 2 player! Poor old Xbox was really struggling with processing all that geometry and lighting twice. Which was a bit of a shame, given how perfectly the rest of game runs...
  • RedSparrows 22 Jan 2013 23:01:23 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Split screen MP is often very choppy. Last legs.
  • Nades 22 Jan 2013 23:08:42 1,373 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Damn my connection! Taking ages to download that 2gb haha.

Liverpool FC
    _______

• matrim83 23 Jan 2013 12:04:56 5,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The new Forge playlist is rather awesome. If only they could get classic slayer working in there I would never, ever leave it.

Also like that the Thruster is finally useful on those small maps. Its really fun to boost back from someone rushing in for a melee and then smack them. :D

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 12:26:32
    My Gold ran out yesterday :'(
  • RedSparrows 23 Jan 2013 13:52:35 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:

Also like that the Thruster is finally useful on those small maps. Its really fun to boost back from someone rushing in for a melee and then smack them. :D
    Why does map layout affect your ability to do that?
  • Deleted user 24 January 2013 08:55:14
    Played a couple of games last night in the forge playlist hopper. It has Lockout! It's called Shutout in this.

Great rendition, plays really well using the Halo 4 ruleset.

Played Despair which wasn't so great. The erosion palette is definitely the ugly duckling of the three forge maps.

And why oh why is the file browser still not working? There's some great maps on youtube that I can't get.
  • Nades 24 Jan 2013 13:44:35 1,373 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought they got the file browser working now? At least I'm sure they've already said a date when it will work!

Liverpool FC
    _______

• Ultrasoundwave 25 Jan 2013 10:02:14 3,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally got around to finishing the campaign last night.

Loved it - in fact, i'd go as far as saying it was my favourite Halo so far (and im a big fan of the series).

Very solid story and really well acted. Jen Taylor specifically does some excellent work as Cortana.

Amazing graphics - easily the best on the 360. The fact that 343 managed to put out a game that looks this good with no sacrifices to the performance makes me think the 360 has still got some life in it yet!

Very impressed with the weapons too. I always felt that the assault rifle was a bit under-powered in previous games and i was delighted that 343 have finally made it a bit of a beast - it feels heavier, meatier and deadlier. Also, the new shotgun is excellent and the battle rifle is very nice. The SAW, however, is the best new weapon - an absolute powerhouse. Just wish it was in the game more!

Final word goes to the new antagonists - very impressed by the Prometheans. Yes, there did seem to be a lack of enemy types (pretty sure it was just Knights and those dog/ant things) but im sure 343 will add some variation to the next instalment. I was a little disappointed by the Promethean weapons, basically flashy versions of the UNSC weapons, but overall the Prometheans are an excellent new addition to the universe.

Been playing the multiplayer for a while and, just like the campaign, 343 have taken the Bungie blueprint and polished it and refinied it to perfection.

Spartan Ops is a great addition too - getting episodic content released on a regular basis to add longevity (for free!?) : brilliant idea.

A fantastic experience, great value for money and the best Halo yet :

10/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 25 January 2013 10:30:13
    Hmm, I wouldn't say there hasn't been a hit to the performance. Split screen has really suffered this time around.

I know it couldn't really be helped but it's killed my sessions with my gf dead. May have to invest in another xbox unless the new one is back compatible.

Played the first three of the second half of Spops last night and I have to admit to being very impressed.
  • RedSparrows 25 Jan 2013 11:42:12 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, much better missions. Story is still rubbish, but at least the missions seem better.
  • Dave_McCoy 25 Jan 2013 17:51:51 2,785 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have to agree about Spartan Ops. Really enjoyed episode 6, new maps have really spiced it up.

I have no idea what's happening story wise though.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2013 18:41:33
    Story is still flying over my head but the pacing of the encounters are far better.

On this evidence I would definitely pay for a season 2. They have definitely upped their game for the second half.
  • Deleted user 25 January 2013 18:43:30
    Definitely definitey crimson flib.
  • Nades 26 Jan 2013 23:02:23 1,373 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What does everyone think about the skill-based ranking being only visible on Waypoint?

Liverpool FC
    _______

• CharlieStCloud 26 Jan 2013 23:05:01 5,275 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    What does everyone think about the skill-based ranking being only visible on Waypoint?
    Bollocks ...

... there's no need to separate the game into two statistical entities.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 23:11:46
    AdamAsunder wrote:
    Story is still flying over my head but the pacing of the encounters are far better.

On this evidence I would definitely pay for a season 2. They have definitely upped their game for the second half.
    I thought after episode 1 this new one was the worst by some distance. Yeah it had new maps but was just wave after wave, don't think it helped that it was making me play it on legendary which is not as much fun as heroic.
  • RedSparrows 26 Jan 2013 23:29:06 23,227 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't feel 'wave after wave' as such. Yes, it was press buttons and kill things, but it felt better than the others.
  • Page

of 173 First / Last