The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 281

• Page

of 303 First / Last

• OllyJ 13 Jan 2014 10:13:05 3,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mixed feelings about Iced Earth last night. On one hand the set was great (new material sounded massive), they covered some real gems (Red Baron/Blue Max), it sounded heavy (perhap too heavy) and there was a great energy.

On the other hand the whole of the front of the crowd had a raw deal, you simply could not hear the vocals at all. I eventually moved back and found it improved but still not amazing, which is a shame as Stu sounded amazing when he broke through.

To add insult to injury Jon Shaffers told the crowd "There's a dead spot at the front of the crowd, we can't hear what you can, if you want to hear better find a better spot, it's not rocket science", now whilst this probably was true, he came off like a total dick. Which I've always kinda assumed he was, so there's no love lost.
  • FuzzyDuck 14 Jan 2014 21:37:04 4,879 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Schaefer has always been an unequivocal cunt, wouldn't pay money to see him play live (or for his albums any more, for that matter).
  • OllyJ 15 Jan 2014 08:41:48 3,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah it was funny seeing the ensuing onslaught of complaints on Facebook, they did apologise and it seems a genuine unfortunate situation that was handled badly on the night.

I've got time for them still, as metal bands go I think they have really maintained a high level of quality over the years, even in my opinion surpassing previous efforts. Unlike most of the other bigger more celebrated US Metal titans.

But yeah Schaffer is a proper cock nozzle and needs to really keep his mouth sealed at all times
  • Megapocalypse 15 Jan 2014 08:48:01 5,511 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed them last night in London though the venue was a bit shit. Set list could have been better / more varied imo ( almost every track fun the new album, four from Dark Saga, and nothing from Night of the Stormrider ) but was still fun. They were the last of the great bands that got me into metal that I hadn't seen.

Sound wasn't great at the start but they seemed to sort it out.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 08:48:46 15-01-2014
  • OllyJ 15 Jan 2014 09:15:04 3,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah thought if anything it was a bit heavy on the Dark Saga stuff and could have done with something off Stormrider or another from Dystopia. Loved Red Baron though and the Academy seemed to go most mental for "dystopia", biggest singalong of the night by miles..

Can't blame them for playing a lot of new stuff and I think they played the better tracks off the album too. Hoping they do Bloodstock!
  • Syrette 15 Jan 2014 17:09:30 44,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How have I only just found out that Sikth have reunited (to play Download)?

:confused:

Might be time I started frequenting metal websites again.

• Deleted user 15 January 2014 19:36:41
    Beast In The Field - Wakan Tanka

Ive recently become a big fan of these guys, their sound is fucking gargantuan!
  • Progguitarist 18 Jan 2014 11:06:56 10,532 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What do you think of this rhythm tone?
  • warlockuk 18 Jan 2014 12:53:50 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It sounds like it needs slightly more bite, but for the most part it sounds pretty decent.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Beetroot_Bertie 19 Jan 2014 20:51:48 302 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll just leave this here. It might appeal to the doomsters.

Still giving the CD it's initial few spins but very impressed thus far. I think it'll be a grower.

There's a nice retro 70's feel going on which has some warmth to it and the vocals are stand-out, almost Dio-esque in places too. If you like your doomy riffs they're there in aplenty but unfortunately sound a bit over familiar at times.

It also has a shiny metallic silver cover which makes it a nice shelf neighbour for my newly christmas-gifted Surgical Steel :)

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 13:54:29 20-01-2014
  • warlockuk 20 Jan 2014 13:39:46 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For fans of Bal-Sagoth, there are two demo tracks from their current (more Black Metal oriented) side-project Kull - essentially the same lineup but with a different vocalist.

Edited by warlockuk at 13:40:27 20-01-2014

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Beetroot_Bertie 23 Jan 2014 15:00:45 302 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carcass session for BBC at Maida Vale
  • Dr.Haggard 23 Jan 2014 19:10:56 4,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it just me or does the Carcass session sound a bit shit?

Really liking the new Junius song
  • Beetroot_Bertie 23 Jan 2014 19:47:03 302 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know what you mean. It sounded rougher than I was expecting, like it all needed tightening up. The mix sounded like it needed more punch to me too - didn't like the drum sound.

I've never heard them live before so I don't really know what to expect. But still, it's Carcass! It's good to have the rotters back :). Heartwork got a lot of plays back in the day and I'm glad the new one fits in so well between that and Necroticism.

The Junius track sounds cool (never heard of them before). I was taken by surprise when the vocals kicked in as I was expecting some deep bellowed growling for some reason.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 19:47:40 23-01-2014
  • ILoveThrashMetal 23 Jan 2014 19:53:23 825 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    What about their peel sessions?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohqfD04UjAM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Arsechickens

• FuzzyDuck 24 Jan 2014 02:18:12 4,879 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just popped on Surgical Steel again (have it since release) after reading the last few comments.

It's a pretty strong effort! And it always reminds me why I like hanging out in here instead of dedicated metal forums - there's too much ("nah, they sold out after "Reek Of Putrefaction", or "it's a shitty Heartwork, pt. 2"). None one expected a reinvention of the wheel, just some solid tunes.

As long as it's not a total stinker like say, Pestilence's first comeback album (talk about sullying their own name) it's good to have these classic bands kicking around again.
  • OllyJ 24 Jan 2014 08:59:50 3,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed, now the ball is in At The Gates court....Will they fuck it up?
  • Beetroot_Bertie 24 Jan 2014 09:38:15 302 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This popped up in the sidebar when I was checking out the Peel Sessions. Good quality full gig.

I'd be interested in hearing what At The Gates come up with. It's like being youthful all over again :)

I suppose I should check out Cathedral's final album while I'm at it.
  • Dr.Haggard 24 Jan 2014 11:50:06 4,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Just popped on Surgical Steel again (have it since release) after reading the last few comments.

It's a pretty strong effort! And it always reminds me why I like hanging out in here instead of dedicated metal forums - there's too much ("nah, they sold out after "Reek Of Putrefaction", or "it's a shitty Heartwork, pt. 2"). None one expected a reinvention of the wheel, just some solid tunes.
    I saw Carcass in '88 and still have my vinyl copy of Reek from the day it came out, but I can't imagine why anyone would suggest they were better when they were a bunch of teenagers making primitive grindcore. I wanted to like the new album, I just think it has a frustrating lack of decent riffs :(
  • OllyJ 24 Jan 2014 12:03:40 3,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

I saw Carcass in '88 and still have my vinyl copy of Reek from the day it came out, but I can't imagine why anyone would suggest they were better when they were a bunch of teenagers making primitive grindcore. I wanted to like the new album, I just think it has a frustrating lack of decent riffs :(
    Really? That's the one thing it's been pretty much universally praised for!
  • Dr.Haggard 24 Jan 2014 12:32:19 4,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I only picked it up a couple of weeks ago and it just isn't doing a lot for me after a few listens. All the ingredients seem to be there but I just don't like the tunes. Probably worth giving it more time to grow though.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 24 Jan 2014 19:28:53 825 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Been listening to celtic frost in readiness for tryptikon 's new album. Probably one of the heaviest songs I have ever heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3MP6SaPWFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Arsechickens

• ILoveThrashMetal 24 Jan 2014 22:02:49 825 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmmm motorhead cancel european tour.

Arsechickens

• Progguitarist 25 Jan 2014 14:56:30 10,532 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lemmy hasn't been well lately has he?
  • FuzzyDuck 25 Jan 2014 17:01:15 4,879 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Surprised he's still alive to be honest.

He's a diabetic, still lushes on JD and Coke, has a pacemaker and isn't far off 70.

Time to hang the ol' Rickenbacker up.
  • warlockuk 25 Jan 2014 23:35:25 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    I'll just leave this here. It might appeal to the doomsters.

Still giving the CD it's initial few spins but very impressed thus far. I think it'll be a grower.

There's a nice retro 70's feel going on which has some warmth to it and the vocals are stand-out, almost Dio-esque in places too. If you like your doomy riffs they're there in aplenty but unfortunately sound a bit over familiar at times.

It also has a shiny metallic silver cover which makes it a nice shelf neighbour for my newly christmas-gifted Surgical Steel :)
    I've no idea why I overlooked this - that sounds fantastic, I'll have to check them out.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• OllyJ 27 Jan 2014 15:15:40 3,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ILoveThrashMetal

INTO THE ABYSSSSSS UGH!
  • warlockuk 28 Jan 2014 09:16:01 19,223 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, that's decided what album I have to put on this morning.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Dr.Haggard 28 Jan 2014 11:53:04 4,253 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have we forgiven Tom for Cold Lake yet?

/puts To Mega Therion on
  • FuzzyDuck 28 Jan 2014 17:22:19 4,879 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Monotheist I think is CF's best album.

Triptykon is also a much better band than CF ever were, a lot less one dimensional.
  • Page

of 303 First / Last