The Official Metal Appreciation ThreadŽ Page 260

• Page

of 289 First / Last

• Maturin 20 Apr 2013 22:18:38 2,889 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been more optimistic. Given how great the previous album with Dio was - The Devil You Know - I have great faith in Iommi and Butler.

After all they released this in 2009. Cracking stuff.

Edited by Maturin at 22:24:01 20-04-2013
  • DrStrangelove 20 Apr 2013 22:31:40 3,371 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Maturin

I really liked that one. It's only four years ago, and I think it is a lot better than the new one.
  • warlockuk 20 Apr 2013 22:41:05 19,133 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    That 'slam death metal' is hilarious, why is it called 'slam death'? Piggy squeals for a whole song is something my dad and I were looking up recently so it's gonna be a laugh to play this.

Still, both of those songs were better than the latest Black Sabbath which was fucking dreadful.
    You can pinpoint the slam side in the drums and guitar rhythms, really. They call it slam 'cos people end up slammin' in the pit to it.

When you listen to this you can pretty much picture a load of sweaty bastards moving in a circle with a passing familiarity of timing.

MrTomFTW wrote:
    Also, I've always hated pigeon-holing bands into sub-genres. Are they death metal or black metal? Oh whatever, close enough.

Aaaaand now I've reminded myself why I started to avoid conversations about metal - I get myself worked up.
    Enhance your calm :)
    The two are pretty different but there's a bit of a kinda grey area in the middle where they cross over or merge either musically or conceptually. You can stack a list of bands up with what is recognisably Death metal at one end and what is full on Black Metal at the other and have it so there's very little noticible difference between the two (like arranging 200 people by height so there's only 5mm difference between 'em but you've still got a metre difference at aither end). Not sure I'm explaining that right.

But it's really not worth getting worked up over, really. As for not liking DM/BM/Extreme Metal in general... that's cool. It's not to everyone's taste. Some people just like dragon-bumming music with noodly solos and high pitched vocals, other people like wearing overly baggy trousers and listening to stroppy songs about not having enough pocket money... There's room for everyone at the table 'cos it's a pretty big table. :)

Goin' back a bit - yeah. Really didn't like that new Sabbath song. Boring as fuck until the end bit and the vocals are processed beyond all fuck - and the music and vocals feel like they were recorded separately as two different recordings to be pasted together later :/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 00:47:39 3,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Re; sub genre minutiae - I can understand why Mr. Tom could get cheesed off over it as berks that argue over whether say Desaster are a black metal band, a blackened trash band, or a blackened death, that kind of stuff absolutely annoys the tits off me.

However! The main divisions within metal, if a band is described as a doom band, then I have a rough expectation of what they'll sound like, same as with death, black, power, trash, grind, etc. These are fairly accurate titles.

I met a guy at a house party once who insisted he was into death metal and then cited Pearl Jam and Queens of the Stoneage as his fave bands from said genre. Now I certainly argued with him that they weren't death metal! :D.

Some more new Sabbath here - it's not bad, but there's 1,000 other records I'd rather go out and spend my money on.

• ILoveThrashMetal 21 Apr 2013 01:30:20 657 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Heard this lot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkwt9qcANI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Caution brutality

Arsechickens

• joeymoto108 21 Apr 2013 05:24:04 628 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Heard this lot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkwt9qcANI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Caution brutality
    Sounds like Gojira worshipping. It's alright though!

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• joeymoto108 21 Apr 2013 05:25:18 628 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh and if you find it hard to tell the difference between dm and bm, you just don't listen to enough metal!

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• Deleted user 21 April 2013 07:27:34
    I think I missing the point with dio, so many people rate him. I think he has a terrible voice, not in the sense he can't sing as technically he is better than ozzy but it's so dull. The whole dio era just was far too cheesy, it had lost nearly all the edge that made Sabbath err Sabbath.
  • warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 08:28:13 19,133 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're missing the point of Dio. Move on.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 08:31:07 19,133 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In fact, listen to this Rainbow track - heeeere.

If you still think he's dull, then you may be dead inside.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 09:16:27 37,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's Stargazer

/clicks

Awww yeah.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 10:43:13 19,133 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    That's Stargazer

/clicks

Awww yeah.
    /high five

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• cheeky_prawnking 21 Apr 2013 13:45:39 4,261 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone got the new terrorizor magazine? There is free album by a band called L Sol Tace with it, couple of mates are in it. Be interested to know what you good people think.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 18:53:54 3,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    That's Stargazer

/clicks

Awww yeah.
    /high five
    /more high fiving

There's no hope for pepsipop and Dio if this doesn't do anything for her...

• thelzdking 21 Apr 2013 19:11:04 4,312 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Re; sub genre minutiae - I can understand why Mr. Tom could get cheesed off over it as berks that argue over whether say Desaster are a black metal band, a blackened trash band, or a blackened death, that kind of stuff absolutely annoys the tits off me.

However! The main divisions within metal, if a band is described as a doom band, then I have a rough expectation of what they'll sound like, same as with death, black, power, trash, grind, etc. These are fairly accurate titles.
    Pretty much this. Metal is a genre, death metal is a subgenre, 'blackened thrash death metal' is a description.
  • cheeky_prawnking 21 Apr 2013 19:12:11 4,261 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Could sit here and link a dozen dio songs just from sabbath. Big troll.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 19:14:53 37,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Pretty much this. Metal is a genre, death metal is a subgenre, 'blackened thrash death metal' is a description.
    I just remember frequenting the Metal Hammer forums like 10 years ago and getting SO pissed off with people arguing over fucking which fucking band is in which fucking sub-genre and then turning around and giving people shit because of the bands they listened to. Like they were the judge about how metal you were. Fuck off.

Which is why you don't see me in this thread so often, I still have the scars :)

• thelzdking 21 Apr 2013 19:23:20 4,312 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

I just remember frequenting the Metal Hammer forums like 10 years ago and getting SO pissed off with people arguing over fucking which fucking band is in which fucking sub-genre and then turning around and giving people shit because of the bands they listened to. Like they were the judge about how metal you were. Fuck off.

Which is why you don't see me in this thread so often, I still have the scars :)
    Yeah, sadly there's a lot of dickheads like that, and it seems to be particularly bad in metal. I've always theorised that the nature of metal music means that it attracts a lot of idiots.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 19:28:45 37,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, you think Sony vs MS is bad. I've witnessed fights over whether bands were hardcore speed thrash metal or nu-hardcore speed thrash metal, and then if you were a fag for listening to them either way.

• FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:30:17 3,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha, yeah I was once called 'a worshipper of false metal' because I think Darkthrone's 'Transylvanian Hunger' is a fucking joke of a record that was recorded down a telephone line :D

I cut off my long hair and stopped wearing the tshirts as i found a lot of metallers (the ones i came into contact with anyway) are fucking idiots . Having some guy in a Machine Head tshirt tell you 'you know nothing about metal' because you happen to be big into jazz as well just wore me down.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:43:35 3,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Yeah, you think Sony vs MS is bad. I've witnessed fights over whether bands were hardcore speed thrash metal or nu-hardcore speed thrash metal, and then if you were a fag for listening to them either way.
    This is the truth. Youtube comments are pretty much the pit of humanity.

I recently spotted one that made me genuinely laugh out loud - it went along the lines "you should listen to a real man's band like Gorgoroth, Bathory are for pussies and gays" :champ:
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:51:08 3,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Yeah, sadly there's a lot of dickheads like that, and it seems to be particularly bad in metal. I've always theorised that the nature of metal music means that it attracts a lot of idiots.
    That's always made me wonder too. Some of the most intelligent people I know are into metal, but also some of the biggest meatheads I know are also into it. Maybe it's a case of a massively popular genre will invariably have fans across the spectrum. But I've yet to attend a classical recital or jazz gig where there's bottles of piss hurled, noses broken, etc.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 19:52:33 37,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My train of thought goes "Does it make me feel good?" If yes: I listen to it.

Currently playing: How To Destroy Angels. Very not metal, don't care.

• FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 19:59:59 3,892 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Graveland

Yep, I usually say to people that I just like good music, don't care what it is (incidentally, I've been meaning to explore Death In June for ages; heard one track off that Looking For Europe: The Neofolk Compendium from years ago and liked it).

I'm currently spinning some Bootsy Collins. Metal is a lot of things, but it certainly isn't FUNKY!
  • joeymoto108 21 Apr 2013 20:03:37 628 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Death metal fans are the reason that a lot of DM sucks. Anything that tries something new is labelled deathcore and god forbid if a band don't have the stereotypical metal image. It's so backwards.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Apr 2013 20:09:55 37,328 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to drag this even further away from metal, thanks to Borderlands 2 I discovered The Heavy. Damn they're good, like dirty southern rock band, with that low down psuedo-blues funk. Their most recent band swings a little too close to pop in a couple places for my liking but I really adore a lot of it. At times they sound just like Screamin' Jay Hawkins which is odd since they're from Bath!

Still love my metal though. Early RATM performance anyone? Even the mic dying doesn't stop Zack!

• warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 20:19:06 19,133 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That Dio track's one of his best vocally imo. Ace. :D

And yeah. I've got long hair 'n' shit but I know exactly what you mean about definition arguments and some folks just breakin' out the short hair and cappa to escape it all.

It happens to everyone though; stupid shit becomes important until you learn to chill out and enjoy life :D

For me, a lot of the fun is playing music as well as talking about it and listening to it with friends... it's amazing how many of the people adamant what is and isn't metal never bother to play it. Machine Head fans lol ;)

Meh. I'm enjoying listening to this Dio track so much that I can't fully reply here 'cos I'm too busy dancing in the front room, much to the missus' distraction. Life is ace.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 21 Apr 2013 20:20:12 19,133 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goddamn the whole of Holy Diver rules.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Page

of 289 First / Last